What would be some good projects to write in C for someone who has experience in other higher level programming...

What would be some good projects to write in C for someone who has experience in other higher level programming languages in the C Family?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/karan/Projects
rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:Programming_Tasks
twitter.com/AnonBabble

TUI File explorer

Text

Reverse a String – Enter a string and the program will reverse it and print it out.

Pig Latin – Pig Latin is a game of alterations played on the English language game. To form the Pig Latin form of an English word the initial consonant sound is transposed to the end of the word and an ay is affixed (Ex.: "banana" would yield anana-bay). Read Wikipedia for more information on rules.

Count Vowels – Enter a string and the program counts the number of vowels in the text. For added complexity have it report a sum of each vowel found.

Check if Palindrome – Checks if the string entered by the user is a palindrome. That is that it reads the same forwards as backwards like “racecar”

Count Words in a String – Counts the number of individual words in a string. For added complexity read these strings in from a text file and generate a summary.

Cool idea. Thanks!
I was hoping for some more complex programs

>Welcome to C
>Here we pride ourselves in doing stuffs that are one-liners in other languages

Text Editor – Notepad style application that can open, edit, and save text documents. Add syntax highlighting and other features.

RSS Feed Creator – A program which can read in text from other sources and put it in RSS or Atom news format for syndication.

Post it Notes Program – A program where you can add text reminders and post them. You can have the program also add popup reminders.

Quote Tracker (market symbols etc) – A program which can go out and check the current value of stocks for a list of symbols entered by the user. The user can set how often the stocks are checked and the program can show green up and red down arrows to show which direction the stock value has moved.

FTP Program – A file transfer program which can transfer files back and forth from a remote web sever.

Get Atomic Time from Internet Clock – This program will get the true atomic time from an atomic time clock on the internet. There are various clocks across the world. Do a search for a list of them.

Chat Application (IRC or MSN Style) – Create a chat application that can carry on simple chat rooms like on Internet Relay Chat or a more direct chatting style like MSN. For added complexity, create your own protocol to facilitate this chatting.

Fetch Current Weather – Get the current weather for a given zip/postal code.

what is tui

Product Inventory Project – Create an application which manages an inventory of products. Create a product class which has a price, id, and quantity on hand. Then create an inventory class which keeps track of various products and can sum up the inventory value.

Movie Store – Manage video rentals and controls when videos are checked out, due to return, overdue fees and for added complexity create a summary of those accounts which are overdue for contact.

Airline / Hotel Reservation System – Create a reservation system which books airline seats or hotel rooms charging various rates for particular sections of the plane or hotel. Example, first class is going to cost more than coach. Hotel rooms have penthouse suites which cost more. Keep track of when rooms will be available and can be scheduled.

Threading

Create Progress Bar of Download – Create a progress bar for applications that can keep track of a download in progress. The progress bar will be on a separate thread and will communicate with the main thread using delegates.

Download Manager – Allow your program to download various files and each one is downloading in the background on a separate thread. The main thread will keep track of the other thread’s progress and notify the user when downloads are completed.

Chat Application (remoting style) – Create a chat application which allows you to connect directly to another computer by their IP through the use of remoting and allow your “server” application handle multiple incoming connections.

Bulk Thumbnail Creator – Picture processing can take a bit of time for some transformations. Especially if the image is large. Create an image program which can take hundreds of images and convert them to a specified size in the background thread while you do other things. For added complexity, have one thread handling resizing, have another bulk renaming of thumbnails etc.

kek

Files

Quiz Maker – Make an application which takes various questions form a file, picked randomly, and puts together a quiz for students. Each quiz can be different and then reads a key to grade the quizzes.

Quick Launcher – A utility program that allows the user to assign various programs to icons on a toolbar. Then by clicking the buttons they can quickly launch the programs with parameters etc. Much like Windows quick launch.

File Explorer – Create your own windows explorer program but with added features, better searching, new icons and other views.

Sort File Records Utility – Reads a file of records, sorts them, and then writes them back to the file. Allow the user to choose various sort style and sorting based on a particular field.

Add Transactions In File and Find Averages – Read in a file of financial transactions, group them into accounts, add up fields or find averages or apply credits and debits to each account.

Next time just post the link instead of making a dozen ripoff posts of the most generic useless uni faux-projects ever

github.com/karan/Projects

A kernel

A chip 8 emulator
It's pretty simple

Nah. The reason for me to not do this is because OP believes he has experience in programming but then displays a lacking in simple google searching abilities.

I am working on a Secured channel bit torrent client which I got the idea of doing so from google.

>Google: Ideas for programs
There's a list with thousands of ideas.

Asking for exercises for specific languages are kinda like asking if a car with 4 wheels can drive.
Generic exercises can make a programmer better as he is placed into ideas that he either does not want to do or believes is too hard/easy.

I doubt anyone here has completed all the problems in projecteuler

rosettacode.org/wiki/Category:Programming_Tasks

>muh he doesnt le google hehehe let me google that for you dot com

I dont know if your momma told you but if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all

>I doubt anyone here has completed all the problems in projecteuler
Have you?

So have you completed all of them?
What did you learn about the language you have done them in?

This is the future of programming. Cunts believe they are too good for programming sets but reality would find that these people lack deep understanding and limitations of the language they even use.

>Java, C, C++, and Python dev here.
Make a new sorting algorithm in all of these languages and explain to use which was harder.

Being a self taught programmer I have had my true understanding of the languages changed repeatably.
Can anyone here truly tell me the weakness of C compared to C++?

Or why link lists are faster then dynamic arrays or sized arrays?

What kinda of retard denies good resources.
OH MY GOD, GOOGLE CAN USE MY QUESTIONS AS PROFIT@@@@@!!!!!@@@

Sell me a programming language, google :)

Hang on, are programmers not having their problem solving skills tested with every logical problem?

Wouldn't you think that someone who wants a question answered would try to find that information through the resources that he/she has?

I guess when they are faced with a problem that can't solve they simply say the boss/client that it was too hard for them.
Best deny a problem solving resource because you're to lazy to find the answer before coming to Sup Forums.org/cunt/

>Sorting algorithm
>Search util that embeds into the Windows file browser
>Rar alternative
>SHA2 key generator

Shit you can pretty much do any idea in any language. Looking through this thread there has been some exercises posted, make them more complicated by a GUI... Idk

>who has experience in other higher level programming languages in the C Family

Use C++ you lying piece of shit or perhaps another language that you're not use to using. You might learn something that improves your programming. Simply knowing the syntax of a language is not the same as being a good multi-language programmer.

Sort using a custom comparator
Sorting algorithms/Bead sort
Sorting algorithms/Bogosort
Sorting algorithms/Bubble sort
Sorting algorithms/Cocktail sort
Sorting algorithms/Comb sort
Sorting algorithms/Counting sort
Sorting algorithms/Gnome sort
Sorting algorithms/Heapsort
Sorting algorithms/Insertion sort
Sorting algorithms/Merge sort
Sorting algorithms/Pancake sort