How can I become a programmer if I can't type or speak for more than 30 minutes or so at a time without extreme pain?

How can I become a programmer if I can't type or speak for more than 30 minutes or so at a time without extreme pain?

I have some fucked up disabilities, but I want to make money at home somehow and support myself.

Other urls found in this thread:

military.com/military-fitness/workouts/balance-your-push-up-workout
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Really you just have to be able to sit for long periods of time, can you manage that?

>or speak
What kind of fucked up disability is that?

ventilator I expect. He is probably on a trac&vent

Yeah, I sit all day already. I'm not exactly sure what you mean though.

I'm in the same boat, OP.
I'm working on adapting my 'workstation' to my new limitations.
eventually, I'll put a PC on the top of this old bunk bed frame. my bed is below. Bluetooth peripherals will be used for control. the challenge is coming up with a way to use a keyboard while lying on my back.

take heed, Sup Forums. if you get back aches and you don't take care of yourselves, you may wind up with chronic back pain and need surgery on your spine like me. installing Gentoo is very difficult when you can't sit down.

I'm not him but I'm familiar with other methods of input.
Air suction control, eye tracking, cursor input from chin elbow.
Steven Hawking can write whole books, I'm sure you could get hired at apple if you are fucked up as hell
They would love you

What happened, user? Define "take care of yourselves". Does it include doing these?
military.com/military-fitness/workouts/balance-your-push-up-workout

That sounds awful user. What caused your issue?
Stephen Hawking is a genius, though. I'm stupid and mentally ill and can't even concentrate on simple shit.

there are many guides and videos on exercises to strengthen back muscles. walking, taking frequent breaks from sitting, stretching. all these things are critical for people who spend most of the day sitting down. use the botnet to research spinal health and conditions that arise from sedentary work, and things you can do to mitigate what can become crippling issues later in life.

I worked in IT about 20 years, always sitting on my ass up to 13 hours a day.
a lack of exercise, poor diet, poor sleep ( does any of this sound familiar ) led to degenerative disk disease, and now it has progressed to the point that my right arm burns with pain and I can't raise my shoulder due to crushed nerves in the spine. Bro, you don't want this. please, just do some research, and make a few simple changes. it will make a world of difference. it's too late for me, though.

Typing for half an hour? Do you plan to be a literal code monkey? If I type for more than 10 minutes it's a busy day. And I earn good money in a typical Java business shop.

I type all day because I program.

dis or a data entry monkey
if your job involves more busywork than thinking work then your job is dull
not being able to type for more than 30 mins should not get your way

this is what we need OP

God damn dude. I sit down for the majority of my life, and you are scaring the shit out of me right now. I struggle with life enough with my disability as it is right now, I don't know how many more health problems I can deal with. It seems like EVERYTHING causes some kind of fucked up health problem and this causes me to constantly obsess and worry, which is a health problem of its own.

I already eat pretty healthy (lots of vegetables, small portions of meat, virtually no fast food) and I stretch my hands and arms. I can't really do much real exercise, but I will try to incorporate back stretches into my routine. I'm not sure how much I stand up from my PC. Maybe there is software that can remind me to stand up and walk around every now and then.

I'm not a very smart person. I'm 28 and have no education beyond a high school diploma, so I would be starting from scratch. I struggled with computer science in high school and don't really remember anything about it either. I have to do work from home, so what kind of work could I even do apart from typing things?

I have a stupid pothead friend with good diction who worked as an online editor (essentially a human spellcheck contractor). He recently moved up to a telecom call center.

Bear in mind, though, that consigning you to that job just because "you didn't do well in CS" is a bit extreme. Webdevelopment is troglodyte shit. You don't need to be able to understand an algo to solve the knapsack problem or even write quicksort -- it's not machine learning or big data. You could easy learn HTML/CSS/JS and get contract work building sites, I imagine. It just takes time, not brains. You could even learn to Inkscape and design vector graphics to add that to your skillset too.

I just exceeded 60 wpm in gtypist for the first time as I'm trying to learn to touch type. (I can do ~100-130 by pecking without looking, but I make a lot of typos).

One day at a time OP.

What is touch typing?

Keeping keys on the home row and using all of your fingers based on hitting keys relative to the home row by touch (instead of looking at the keyboard or using a rough mental map of the keys and using mostly your index fingers)

Keeping fingers*

Oh, I've been typing that way since high school. I've been using proper typing form and sitting posture for years, it has never really done anything for my hand/forearm pain. At best it has slowed its progress.

have you thought about a career in graphic design?
Mouse or graphic tablet is all you need (keyboard is handy but you can do most of the work without using it).

Mouse use might even be worse for my pain. I've had to switch to my left hand even just for idle internet browsing, and now it's starting to become as painful as the right one.

>How can I become a programmer if I can't type or speak for more than 30 minutes or so at a time without extreme pain?
>
>I have some fucked up disabilities, but I want to make money at home somehow and support myself.

> Back problems
Stop being a fat bitch and exercise more

Wait for neural shunt simstim interfaces.

And then until you can upload a digital facsimile of yourself that can live indefinitely without pain while you an hero with the knowledge that soulless, incorporeal copy of you is living it large on a private plane larger than Earth inside of a shoebox processor deep underground powered goethermally.

Or try a trackball mouse

>Stop being a fat bitch and exercise more
I don't have back problems. I'm also not fat, nor have I ever been fat. I can't exercise due to physical limitations.

My problems are neurologically based. My neurologist and neurotologist think it's a form of TTTS and migraine. I experience severe pain in my ears when I'm exposed to noise, and prolonged exposure causes severe, crushing headaches. This includes my own voice, so hearing protection doesn't help, because my voice is bone conductive. The physical presence of hearing protection itself causes almost as much pain as noise, so I can only use it for short periods of time regardless. Medication thus far hasn't been helpful, and most have just made me even more sick.

I also experience vertigo, nausea, SCREECHING banshee tier tinntius, and a host of other weird shit.

The issue with my hands is some sort of RSI. Carpal tunnel syndrome has been ruled out. I treat it as best I can, and have tried dozens of things, but the most I've been able to do is relieve it at rest and (sort of) slow its progress.

I'm in a massive amount of pain just from typing in this thread right now. I'm going to have to rest for a while I think.

Paulina was a slut back then

Paulina is still a slut today.

>I'm in a massive amount of pain just from typing in this thread right now. I'm going to have to rest for a while I think.

Hello.

Genuine advice :

-Put on headphones
-Go to noisli.com
-Click the wave icon with the "w" symbol
-You will hear something scientifically called "white noise"

It will hide the screeching and help you sleep.

It really helps me a lot.

>Genuine advice :
>-Put on headphones
>-Go to noisli.com
>-Click the wave icon with the "w" symbol
>-You will hear something scientifically called "white noise"
>It will hide the screeching and help you sleep.
>It really helps me a lot.
Yeah, I do sound therapy, it doesn't really help at all but I stick with it regardless. It doesn't hide the tinnitus lol, there is no sound that can mask my tinnitus, it's straight up as loud as a jet engine and can be heard over anything.

I sleep fine.

I know you mean well, user, but I already do everything that can be done. There are just no more options.

>How can I become a programmer if I can't type or speak for more than 30 minutes or so at a time without extreme pain?
>
>I have some fucked up disabilities, but I want to make money at home somehow and support myself.

> Back problems
Stop being a fat bitch and exercise more

I see, well, now I feel like an asshole. Thought I read somewhere you had back problems.

Anyway, have you tried smoking weed to help? Shit can do magic.

>Stop being a fat bitch and exercise more
>posting a pic of a suicidal ADHD-retard who is too good for a nice walk and thinks that erosion isn't quick enough
-_-

I do know that this was a YMMV advice.

But we know so little about the human eardrums and brain that shit like tinnitus is yet to be solved...

>Thought I read somewhere you had back problems.
That was another guy.
>have you tried smoking weed to help?
Yeah, it doesn't do shit to help my symptoms. I smoked every day for years for mediocre mental health relief, but I quit a few months ago. Overrated and expensive.

1. Be girl.
2. Be prostitute.