Machine Check Exception - Windows 10

I left my computer running over night, which I do most nights. I wake it up in the morning and it asks me to update Warframe, a Steam game. 73% into the update, my PC crashes to a blue screen. Machine Check Exception. It now does this every time I sign into Windows 10, within 10 seconds. I don't have enough time to change startup programs or anything. Nothing has changed hardware wise in over a year. This problem seemingly cane out of nowhere and I doubt it was related to the Warframe update.

The crash doesn't occur while in the Bios, the blue screen troubleshooter or safe mode. It only occured once from the sign in page. I assume this means the crash is caused by some startup software?

I tried shutting down and shutting off the power supply, then restarting. I ran "chkdsk c: /r /x" and "sfc /scannow". Nothing came of either. Automatic startup repair fails every time.

How do I fix this? I feel like safe mode is my best bet, since I can browse files. But I can seem to being up task manager or control panel.

This has really brought me to a standstill. It's super aggravating because I don't torrent or download anything even remotely suspicious. I like keeping machine as clean as possible and free of bloat, yet this still happened.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/odeymoec7yovy88/Minidump.zip
asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-A/HelpDesk_Download/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I should also note that the crash occurs about 80% of the time. The other 20%, the PC just comes to a hard freeze and I have to hold the power button to shut down.

My network adapter also seems to not be working. As it shows "No connections are available" from the sign in screen and from safe mode with networking enabled.

Post your event viewer, "custom views -> administrative events".

Here it is. As far as I can tell, each of those 19,000+ processes is either an error or warning. Each error and warning code being the same.

Disconnect every USB device except your keyboard.

Machine check exception usually indicates a hardware fault. My home server was getting these on GNU/Linux and it was a problem with the CPU. Got a replacement and never had it crash again.

It's not worth trying to figure out the issue. Windows 10 has a built in reset/restore PC feature, just use that. If you have any additional storage devices use those to backup your game installations.

Windows has always been a headache when it came to resolving issues. If it occurs again then try troubleshooting the issue.

Do a memtest

Okay, so only the keyboard is plugged in. I disconnected my mouse, audio interface and I can't seem to fugure out what the third device was.

install gentoo

I've already been running at capacity for my storage devices. 2 1 Terabyte harddrives and a 500 gig laptop drive, as well as a 2 terabyte external drive. I have no other storage devices to use as backups.

time to get a ryzen and vega friend

The last few tries, Windows crashed before the desktop even loaded. It would crash during the signin screen, after I entered my password. After unplugged every usb except for my keyboard, I at least made it to the desktop for about 3 seconds. Inhad even disabled every startup program except for "HD Audio Background Process", "Realtek HD Audio Manager" and "Windows Defender Notification".

I'll run a memetest.

My CPU is a 6600k with an off the shelf liquid cooling rad. I would hope it hasn't crapped out after only 2 years.

Can't run the memetest since I don't have a means of getting the software on my PC.

An MCE means that you are experiencing hardware failure.

Post a link to the minidumps in C:\Windows\Minidump\, if that folder is empty or does not exist, check if C:\Windows\memory.dmp exists.

If none exist let's make sure you have crashdumps enabled, from a powershell prompt, post the output of.

Get-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl

I just ran pic related. Apparently I don't have Windows?

I'll do this now. My phone is acting all screwy and isn't wanting to post here.

Here's the minidump folder contents.

You need to put them in a folder, zip them up, and upload them to a site so I can download them and open them in a debugger.

Ag, okay. I've got the zipped folder sitting here. I just gotta look around for a usb or something, so I can bring it to another computer that has internet access. I'm not sure where I could upload this. I've never had to do this before.

>taking actual photographs of your monitor in any year
ugh just take it to geeksquad.

Here's the link to the zip minidump files:
mediafire.com/file/odeymoec7yovy88/Minidump.zip

If you didn't read the OP, I don't have an Internet connection on that machine.

Stop gayming and get a Mac, dumbass

I have both.

Crash dumps are pointing to bad memory.

Run memtest86+ overnight (7+ passes) and see if any errors show up. If there are errors, test 1 stick of RAM at a time to find which dimm(s) are bad.

Also make sure you are running the latest firmware for your motherboard, check your vendor's support page. It should be listed here

asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-A/HelpDesk_Download/

I will give that a shot. Thank you.

Is it overclocked? If it is, the CPU can degrade and previously stable overclocks can become unstable.

user you need to install gentoo, that will solve your problem

It is overclocked. But it's overclocked by the bios software. I chose the "liquid cooling" option and it overclocked the cpu to what I assume the software thought was a safe level. I forget the specifics. I think it was 23%. I'd have to check. I tried reverting it back to its normal clock speed yesterday, but I totally forgot how to work the bios software. I don't want to reset everything because I'd lose all my fan speed settings.

The guy that read my minidump info said it may have been a memory issue. I'm very confused by this machine check error. I get that it's a hardware code, but how the hell are you supposed to know which hardware component is causing the issue?

install the Windows 7 Pro Upgrade.

Please tell me you have liquid cooling. Also, you shouldn't overclock if you don't even know what your vcore is.

I'm on Windows 10 and I have no internet access on this machine. It's not even detecting my wireless card.

The bios software did it for me and I do have liquid cooling. I loaded and saved the defaults and it took me from 23% to 25%. I don't know what's up with that. I'll go through it again and try to figure out why it took me even higher.

What I don't get is why I can't just run a check and have my PC tell me what the damn problem is.

>What I don't get is why I can't just run a check and have my PC tell me what the damn problem is.
Complexity of computers in general and technical limitations.

Reset wangblows

I've been going at this for 2 days and I can't say I'm any closer to solving this issue or even finding the cause. How aggravating.

I really can't afford to lose all my files. As I'm understanding this situation, which I admit isn't very well, it seems fairly likely that a reset won't solve my problem.

Try to update your driverrs specially graphical ones.

Well this is not easy to troubleshoot desu with you.
The issue is somewhere around your pci bus: one device enters a "hung" state and issues a NMI, the cpu relinquishes control and attempts to recover but fails.
Step 1 is to remove any pci card you have installed, step 2 would be disabling all the possible devices at bios level one at a time and see which one is causing it.
By personal experience you're in for a new motherboard and your on board NIC seems the cause.

The automatic overclocking feature on boards always uses higher voltage than you need, so if anything that's gonna make your shit degrade faster.

Also you know which hardware component is causing the error by testing each of them. Memory test, lower CPU clocks to stock and test system, etc.

Since the issue occurred, my PC no longer recognized my wireless card. I have no internet connection on that machine.

Yea, it's been a massive pain in the ass. I thought my saving grace was that my pc runs fine in safe mode. I get that MCE is a hardware fault, but since it runs fine in safe mode, wouldn't that indicate a software issue? But then again, none of my checks have turned up any software issues. I'll try disconnecting my pcie wireless card. What makes you think my wireless card is the source of the issue?

I'm still trying to figure out why my bios can't seem to get rid of the overclock, but I'm working on that CPU aspect. I did manage to bring the ram from 2400 back down to stock 2133. I think that's the base ram speed. So I would assume the ram overclock was not the issue.

How exactly do I test each component? A few people here have mentioned memtest. Issue is, I have no internet connection on that machine in question, and my external drive is formatted to work with my Macbook Pro, so I can't transfer it that way.

Boot disk you knob head

Download it at a friend's/work if you don't have any other devices at home

install gnu/linux, doesn't have this problem

I think your NIC is part of the problem because of

>format
>reinstall
If that doesn't fix it
>new PSU

I don't have a disc drive. That's the fun part.