What's the deal with OpenBSD?

Is it good?

i heard good things about it.

waiting for them to complete the vmm hypervisor so i can virtualize linux and windows

It's good. A bit slower than Linux and with worse driver support, but it's great for what it is.

It kicks ass, but muh games, so slackware

Can I run it on a cheap laptop e.g. a chromebook?

It's slow because it's meant for secure applications, not a System meant for weblurking from a netbook.

I don't really want to weblurk from it, I'm looking for something good for portable programming and giving presentations

Both are desktop oriented deals so that's not much of a distinction. Use some form of Linux until you get to a point where what you are DOING requires change. It's fun to imagine that if you had the perfect sister you'd "start that one thing". This is terrible logic. Seriously save yourself this depressive loop of this system or that and experience making something on anything. The you'll have a real idea of what you actually need and won't have to ask us retards.

does openbsd have nvidia drivers? I know they don't accept binary-only drivers, but does nouveau work?

Thanks user, I get into that pattern of wanting the perfect tools and setup before starting anything far too often

yes

nope, i think someone was porting it a few years ago but i guess they dropped it

It's great

FreeBSD is way better imo.
Also TrueOS is p good if you want a more "it just werks" experience

zfs ports and jails are good
gentoo got jails in the repos though, and port system on fucking lockdown
portage is the motherfucking be all end all pkg manager
I would recommend gentoo over bsd

if you can get it working with your setup, it's fine, but you're still stuck using the same buggy desktop apps. you'll keep out most hackers, but if you're targeted by someone with a few years of *nix exploit development then you'll probably end up with a usermode rootkit in no time. hardened gentoo is way more usable and secure, but compiling.

Can't write ntfs. This killed for me because i share external disks with wangblows users.

To be honest freebsd have better man pages too. At least you don't have to suffer from extreme level autism to understand it.

it's good

>fbi backdoor

I thought bsds have some thing where they can run linux programs with a compatibility layer, or does that not work for what I assume is driver code like ntfs-3g?

OpenBSD has FUSE support since 5.4 and ntfs-3g is in ports (and works).

This should be a greentext
It answers 99% of the threads on Sup Forums

Works well on server hardware, has driver and wifi issues on majority of laptops. Stagnate on old filesystem. No systemd and RedHat.

Clib manpages are better than GNU, have better examples and explanations. There are also some extensions: strtonum(3), freezero(3), arc4random rng framework, strlcpy(3) and strlcat(3) and idk what else. Their alloc is freaking beast, you can tweak it in the way that it can detect uses after free, double free and similar (performance cost, only for debugging purposes).

And pledge(2), it's elegant syscall and fs view sandbox, mostly as seatbelt for trusted software that could go wrong (network daemons etc.), whole base system has pledge bindings, some ports have pledge patches (both ff and chromium have). But there were attempts to make it snadbox for untrusted software by preopening files and stripping privileges before executing the software. I just wish this would be on Linux, it would play well with cgroups. (they would finally be able to prevent simple fork bomb)

Other security mitigations... ok not that amusing these days. Noone cares for they implemented that 10 years before anyone else cliche. But they have implementations for older architectures as well, so that counts. It's just sad that Linux is so careless about it. You are surprised when distro has ASLR. SO OpenBSD is only good here in contrast.

There are some interesting pieces of software: great firewall, simple webserver, ntpd, smtpd and idk what else. They are all simple to use and source isn't that long. I've read whole httpd source, no 100k loc monsters. Usually manpage is enough to get it working, some BSDCon talks can give you insight. There are 2 authors (Michael W. Lucas and don't remember the other one) that write OpenBSD books where you get info in reallive usage of these things and how they play together.

instead of repeating shit you don't understand, would you like to provide an actual argument?

>OpenBSD
FBI backdoor

would you care to prove that