Looking into getting a portable A/C. Guess I'll be spending somewhere around $200. My room's 120ft2...

Looking into getting a portable A/C. Guess I'll be spending somewhere around $200. My room's 120ft2. Saw this model in the pic, and wondering if it's any good.

I live in a dreadfully hot area. No kind of A/C in my house, and been 100 degrees farenheit outside, so it can get up to 90 in my room. Would this model even be worth be getting? Would it be able to cool my room to let's say like 70? That would be ideal.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J_ubf0zqvSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=hDimmoS87b0
youtube.com/watch?v=rqrekECvLC8
thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-portable-air-conditioner/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I suggest waiting user because summer is over soon within a month unless you live in Africa. Get a portable A/C next year or during Black Friday when they go on sale for dirt cheap.

It's been known to stay up into the late 90s in the area I live until September. I seriously love Northern California for its natural beauty, but not the weather.

I live in NorCal as well user. I would still suggest you to wait. Hell it just rained/sprinkle out of no where today. You'll be fine.

Probably a good idea. I'd probably get too used to the damn thing anyway, and end up spiking up my electric bill without even noticing. I don't know though. I used to have a place, and just me, and there was an a/c on the wall, in an apartment I'd have on every afternoon full blast, and my entire bill was at most like $60. Maybe that's about right though?

Those fuckers are loud and you still need to vent the exhaust outside.

Wait it out and stop being fat.

Being fit and not eating garbage all day is a surprisingly good way to stay cool.

When I say north, I really mean NORTH. Not San Jose, or Sacramento, or San Francisco. Way the fuck up there, in "Jefferson State".

I can be fit for a short while, but habits are so hard to break. I find myself deep in cycles of being fat, as it were, without even realizing it.

That's the picture I was thinking of I've seen, when writing that out.

Don't even think of buying a single-hose portable. The exhaust air has to be made up somewhere, and that somewhere is from outside. Energy hogs! Stay away!
Dual-hose units are much better.

Weather doesn't really encourage one to get out and do things, I understand. Ignore the Sup Forumssters pitching /fit/s.

Noice

Lived in a house where the owner, bless their heart, refused to allow us to install a proper AC. So I bought one of these portable items, similar to OP. Pic related.

Pros:
-Does cool the room. You used armpit units which I do not understand, but over here it hits 33C regularly, and the unit still cooled the room enough to make a difference.

Cons:
-LOUD. Very VERY LOUD.
-Unit I got needed to be frequently filled up with water for cooling.
>So it is an air humidifier, lel kek
>No. It is an air-cond, the water was used to cool it, not to humidify.
-Quite heavy
-Required regular de-dusting
-Ensuring that the exhaust was 100% exhausted and the outlet was otherwise sealed is not easy (see )

For me, living without some AC is extreme suffering, so it was worth it. But if I lived in a cooler or drier climate, I would have gone without. Make sure you go and test the unit irl before your purchase, just in case you missed how VERY LOUD it is.

That's good to know. People aren't always honest in reviews, so I thought Sup Forums would be a good place to get some honesty. Loud, like, annoying loud, and something you grow accustomed to, or still loud even when you do find yourself used to it?

It's been up to 46.6 degrees Celsius where I live outside, if that gives you any idea on how fucking hot it is.

Just buy a fan, you norcal nigger

i have that same AC, no it won't work nearly as well as a proper window unit

mine drops temps by about 10F, maybe you'll see 15 with a new unit. i have it blow cool air directly at me otherwise it's useless

Louder than any graphics card, and louder by a huge margin.

Here is a snippet from a review that compares some finalists. These are the best portable ACs, and the quietest one of these in its quiet mode is 68 decibels.

So please check one out in a store before you buy.

>quietest portable AC from a list of "best portable ACs"
>in quiet mode
>still 68 dB

how gig is the room, you could try something like this with a small fan
youtube.com/watch?v=J_ubf0zqvSQ
or a more simple less diy version
youtube.com/watch?v=hDimmoS87b0
youtube.com/watch?v=rqrekECvLC8
I've seen ones using a big box fan and one of those folding clothes hangers and a some wet towels bring a room down 10 degrees

thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-portable-air-conditioner/

This works well in "dry and hot" desert-type climates. In SEA, we have "humid and hot", so it will just turn your room in a sauna.

OP is "norcal". Is "norcal" dry?

Yeah hot and dry. Mediterranean I think it's called.

>No. It is an air-cond, the water was used to cool it, not to humidify.

The refrigerant does the actual cooling, the water is just condensate.

The ambient hot air gets sucked in, passed through cold coils, and becomes cool air. If the air is obstructed, the coil will ice up.

norcal aka northern california is temperate you tards

I was clarifying, since there are portable ACs (cool the air), and portable humidifiers which work as ACs in dry places but do not work in humid areas.

OP admitted he was fat though.

80°F (26.66°C) is super hot to fatties.

I alternate somewhere between 200 lbs and 220lbs. Not sure if that's fat for 6 feet even. I guess kinda.

those mono units are pure garbage.
Get a proper two-unit device.
Most of the heat this AC extracts from the ambient heat, the crappy exhaust pipe leaks right back.
Yes they will cool the air a bit but its a huge waste of energy.

On the con side, you are unlikely do find a good two-unit device for 200 bucks (at least in europe, no clue about burger prices).

Also, yes two unit machines can be portable, relatively speaking, meaning you do not have to screw them to the wall or anything, though that would certainly help.

Pro side for the 2-unit thingies is that the coolant flows out of the room/house at room temperature and is compressed outside where all the heat leaks out. So you are not cooling the air that has been heated by the device again.

Idk about that. I remember being quite skinny and still not resilient at all to the heat.

What is your bf%?

Mini splits are awesome, but do require a bit of work.

I've installed a few.

>can be portable

If you're good at drywall and patching holes. In that case, they're definitely portable.

Somewhere between the lower left 2 pics. I don't really have man tits unless I like try to push them together. I think I look relatively okay with a shirt on.

>I think I look relatively okay with a shirt on.
Only in the USA...

You can route the tubes under most doors or through the frames of windows. All you need it a drill and a 12mm drillbit.

The unit in your picture looks pretty stationary desu.

Good thing USA is a diverse, gargantuan country. Not even displaying American exceptionalism. I love, with all my heart, without an iota of sarcasm, having a front row seat to the freak show! :)

Being skinny or being fat hasn't relally had that much of an effect on my general happiness. I don't wake up and think "wow, i'm skinny" or "wow i'm fat" and think "life is so amazing (or terrible) based on that 1 thing"

*really

Sounds like yours is broken or something.

I have OP's exact unit, and I cannot leave it on for more than 30 minutes because it gets too fucking cold, even on low.

Sitting in front of it feels like ice.

Why not just a desk fan?
That's how I'm surviving the summer.

I live in a more temperate climate though.

Thats huge. Your heavily overweight and you need to change your lifestyle or your weight will begin to dictate your lifestyle.

Just get a fan like this and have it blow directly on you.

I still go on like 4 mile walks daily, at 4mph. I don't really feel like I'm unhealthy. I see plenty of far more overweight people around me. I don't really see myself getting much fatter, because I'm already almost 26. It's not like I've been this fat person my entire life. I realize I'm not technically "normal" according to BMI, as if it's some kinda inherently perfect thing to determine if someone is overweight/obese, etc.

I am gonna be starting work soon, so I'll be moving a lot more, and I won't have so much time to sit around and eat, so I'll probably get to 190. That's an ideal weight for me. Maybe 180.

Fan isn't going to do shit when temps hit 95F+ or it gets humid.

I only use my fan at night/morning to save on electricity.

fans do fuck all for 1000cft room

You don't need to cool the whole room just yourself

You misunderstand: USA is a very fat country (We are #1!!!), so you may think you look ok in a shirt, but your view is warped by the community you live in.

>I see plenty of far more overweight people around me.
That is exactly it!

>I am gonna be starting work soon, so I'll be moving a lot more
You'll drop maybe 10lbs and that's it, because your body is going to quickly adjust to your work routine.

In order to drop down to 180, you need to actually do a variety of workouts.

Fat people are usually poor. Go to a metropolitan area and you'll see that most 20~30 year old are fit.

just get which ever is the cheapest. They all take up a huge amount of space with their exhaust pipes and water drippers.

maybe the best option would to get a window mounted AC unit since portable ones need to near a window anyway

>I find myself deep in cycles of being fat, as it were, without even realizing it.
So are you saying it's deep cycle fattery?

it's been pushing 100F here for the last couple of weeks, room temp is even higher

It's been 90F here daily, and OP's AC keeps my room pretty damn cold regardless.

This is considering I've never put it on high yet. Only takes 5 minutes for it to feel good. Maybe my tolerance for heat is lower.

In the winter(I live in the south), I need 2 heaters in my room when it's below 30F.

Pretty much. The title of my memoir only I would read. :)

I worked in a molding shop and dropped 30 lbs and gained some nice musculature. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Do kids these days not know how a thermostat works?

8000 BTU is overkill for 120sqft. 5-6000 is more than enough. Also, portable units suck, they are LOUD (can't emphasize this enough) and just as difficult to install as a window unit. If at all possible just find a Walmart and pick up a cheap Haier window AC. They're good and dead simple to install.
>You used armpit units which I do not understand
Google, faget
Evaporative coolers are only good for desert climates, otherwise the humidity will wreak havoc.
Fuck off to

I got a 14k BTU floor unit on Newegg for like $399 to supplement a failing 10k wall unit a couple of years ago and the floor unit is really impressive.

Disadvantage: my electric bill is roughly double during the summer

Advantage: it is quiet as fuck, and I'm cool as a cucumber
>drill some holes in the window frame
>stick the mounting kit in there
>done
I mean yeah this seems like "a bit of work" to your typical pasty Sup Forums neckbeard who thinks building a PC from cards is a major life achievement, but come on man. Took me 15 minutes and I'm a total klutz

>I worked in a molding shop
Doesn't mean shit.

>dropped 30 lbs
Probably over 400lbs.

>You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
It's fitness 101.
You're fucking stupid.

You're confusing mini-splits with portable ACs. Look, read, learn.

> just as difficult to install as a window unit
the hell, you attach the exhaust hose to the window. what's difficult about that?

>they are LOUD
Yes, A/C's in general tend to be loud. My window unit was 10x more loud than my portable.

I don't get this loud meme either. If you have any type of decent headphones on, you hear nothing. I actually like how loud it is because it drowns any noise I'm making out.

I have a different model of LG. I think 10,000 BTU. It almost instantly cools down my room but it's very loud.

>My window unit was 10x more loud than my portable
Portable is louder. Almost everyone who used both will tell you this.

Swamp coolers is the name you're looking for

Most definitely not the one I had, nor my sisters.

I've used both and I have no idea where people got that stupid idea

You ever played a musical instrument, user? The AC is basically like the bridge and the window assembly basically amplifies the noise.

A floor unit doesn't do that because a floor is substantially heavier and less vibration prone than a window.

I only run the window AC when I'm not in that room, or when it's so goddamm hot I'd rather wear earplugs than roast to death, or when there's massive street noise like the time the city decided to rip up the asphalt overnight and re-pave between 6 PM and 6 AM

>the hell, you attach the exhaust hose to the window. what's difficult about that?
Weather stripping, screwing pieces together for the proper fit, placement, etc.
>I don't get this loud meme either.
You are moving the unit from outside to in your room. So yes, it's louder.
>If you have any type of decent headphones on, you hear nothing. I actually like how loud it is because it drowns any noise I'm making out.
Why should people be using headphones alone, especially those who have invested in halfway decent audio systems.
Underage detected.

>You ever played a musical instrument, user? The AC is basically like the bridge and the window assembly basically amplifies the noise.
Are you retarded? The noise doesn't come from vibration of the window or the floor; it comes from the air conditioner itself.

That's like saying "the chemical energy in plants doesn't come from the photosynthesis, it comes from the sunlight itself"

>Weather stripping
That takes 2~3 minutes.

>screwing pieces together
5 minutes.

There is nothing remotely difficult about installing a portable AC.

>You are moving the unit from outside to in your room
A window unit sits halfway in your room. You can still hear the motor.

> So yes, it's louder.
Wasn't relevant to anything I said. I said A/C's in general are going to be loud.

>Why should people be using headphones alone
I didn't say they should. I'm saying your average person wears headphones while listening to music.

>invested in halfway decent audio systems
Well, then you should be able to blast your music without worrying about the A/C if your audio is decent, no?

>Underage detected.
People over 21 still say this?

No, it's like saying the noise comes from the air conditioner itself, not from some vibration of the window (which, what the fuck are you doing that your air conditioner is causing audible vibration in your window or floor).

Having a big ass window a/c stick out the front of your window looks ghetto as fuck.

In NYC even million dollar apartments have them.

>>Weather stripping
>That takes 2~3 minutes.
>>screwing pieces together
>5 minutes.
>There is nothing remotely difficult about installing a portable AC.
That's why I said *just as* difficult. Learn to read faggot.
>>You are moving the unit from outside to in your room
>A window unit sits halfway in your room. You can still hear the motor.
Half-way is quieter than all-the-way.
>>Why should people be using headphones alone
>I didn't say they should. I'm saying your average person wears headphones while listening to music.
>>invested in halfway decent audio systems
>Well, then you should be able to blast your music without worrying about the A/C if your audio is decent, no?
But why? Why not keep the sound levels as low as possible?

It's time to stop posting

They're apartments.
People with class(actually own their own home) have proper central cooling.

>*just as* difficult
No.
That's no where near the same as putting in a window unit. Stop posting.

You may not realize this but fancy city folk have figured out ways to own apartments.

Please, show me these luxury apartments with nigger tier window units in them.

It is if you do it properly. You probably do a shit job.
>attach curtains
>place in sill
>close window and screw
easy.

>No cover on the line set.
>Cheap foam based sleeves covering the low pressure lines.
>Units not even bracketed.

That installation looks sketchy as fuck.

That property is probably owned by some cheap ass Chinese firm.

>$1 million
>luxury
How's the weather in detroit today?

To get luxury in detroit it'd cost more than $1 million. You'd need $1 million alone just for the barbed wire, automated turrets, and armed guards just to keep the wildlife from ruining your house.

$1 mil is like a studio in an old, run down building. But there are also many luxury apartments with window units.

In NYC the regulations require window units to be properly fixed by brackets. You can be evicted if you don't do this.

That's the screwing. Smaller units only need to be fixed from the inside, and come with the hardware to do so.

That's firmly in the official "overweight" category although not quite "obese".

I know because I'm about the same height and weight.

IIRC, over 20% bf is overweight, and over 30% is obese. OP is borderline obese.

Get a thick large glass jar or a large glass pitcher and fill it with ice. Put that in-front of a fan and aim it at your face.

Get the Whytner 12000
It's more expensive but you'll save energy in the long run over the cheap shitty portable acs

>12000 btu
>120sqft
i don't think OP wants to live in a refrigerator