Home Theater Tech

A/V equipment is technology. What are you inflating your ego with? Do you have a setup? Are you looking to make one? Let's see what rich and poorfags alike have to say.

My projector may be on its last legs, and I'm looking for recommendations beside everything else I'm finding by shopping around.

Pic related is what's dying. This time, it probably deserves to stay dead. It's had a hard life.

here's the most up-to-date pic I have of my setup
I'm a poorfag on destitute college budget so pretty much all of this is ebay or craigslist.

>college budget so pretty much all of this is ebay or craigslist

That's exactly where all my crap came from, including that Toshiba. It always has to start somewhere. I have a real job now, and I'm finally getting this all set back up to realize that maybe it's time to buy some real shit. What's your Kodibox running on?

In that pic it's on a mid 2009 mac mini I got for free from my mom. It hooks to an emby server running on my desktop.

Currently though, it's on an Rpi3 and the mac mini has been promoted to home server duty with slackware. At some point I want to build an actual HTPC, especially seeing as the RPi can't decode anything that isn't 8bit h264.
Also I've had at least 3 receivers die on me, so far the only one to last more than a couple months is the ancient yamaha receiver I got from the thrift store.
It does 5.1 and supports DTS though, so I ain't complaining too much, and the UI is way less insane than the Denon I was using before.

Here is my current setup. Going to bring my television (KDL-46HX850) and PS4 over soon and get it all wrapped up. HT-XT1 on middle shelf.

Heh, I had my server running on an Rpi3 for some time as well. It got the job done until an old laptop took its place all the way up until I retired my desktop to server duty. Poor Rpi3 couldn't decode anything for Plex. Thank god for the Phenom II X4.

I've only had one receiver of my own die. It, combined with watching friends' and family's die, make me never want to spend money on RCA ever again. Old LG unit has been doing me plenty fine, even though its disc drive doesn't work. Made it affordable on ebay in the day.

Nice and clean so far, I like it. I ought to get a new picture of my upstairs setup if this is still here in the morning.

I'll clean my living room and post some updated pics tomorrow as well.
Also I just thought that an /av/ board for audio, video, and related stuff would be cool to have. These kinds of threads die too fast on Sup Forums.

>an /av/ board for audio, video, and related stuff
I could see it being some sort of weird hybrid of Sup Forums and Sup Forums for some reason. Maybe with some /diy/ thrown in. It'd be sparsely populated, sure, but there's already barren boards out there that stay alive. Would be pretty neat.

Almost thinking of running out to buy a new projector tomorrow to be ready for the weekend in case the old one actually dies for good. Should I risk waiting to see if it will stop "overheating"?

Thread will probably die out as thet really don't last ling. I should have all my calibration and what have you done by tomorrow night. However, don't feel I will be done adding little touches to it soon.

also a little bit of Sup Forums, it could be home for the various headphone and speaker threads currently on Sup Forums

I'll just make another sometime down the line then and we can brag some more since we'll have had time to work on everything.

Good call. That would actually really help to fill out said hypothetical board a bit.

Propper 5.1 suround is the key to a good HT experience. so many people have shit sound with overkill TV's it's ridiculous.

Hey, I'm looking for a project mainly for displaying text. I had an eye surgery, and I can't look at monitors for long, so I need a projector to help me manage my writing (I'm a writer). I may need the browser from time to time, but the main thing that I use is a word processor.

Films would be nice, but good text quality is the main concern.

What do you recommend?

So much this. It pains me to be in setups where the audio comes from the TV only. I understand that responsibly routing cables is a hassle, but goddam, is it worth it.

Sounds like you probably want a business/office projector. What kind of budget are you looking at?

>Sounds like you probably want a business/office projector. What kind of budget are you looking at?

Maybe around 1000?

I was thinking though... Is it a good idea to consider

screen
>small tabletop screen so I can just put it on the table
>black screen so it has better contrast without having to control ambient light

projector
>lcos portable projector
>maybe above 2kLM to make sure I can see

Is this a valid plan? I don't necessarily need a big screen, I just need something comfortable to use when I cannot use the laptop screen anymore. The problem with large screens is that my neck start hurting as I always have to look up

Look comfy. It a 5.1 or 7.1?

This is my setup

5.1. The fronts are Klipsch F-10, idk what the center is, and the back are two really old KLH speakers I got from my parent's attic.

I have a pretty good stereo setup that I use for music, finally getting around to setting up a home theatre this year. Is 5.1 necessary, or will sticking with the stereo be fine