What's Sup Forums's thinkpad of choice?

What's Sup Forums's thinkpad of choice?

Other urls found in this thread:

howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the motorola xeforce from big mommas on potomac

I want an x1 carbon 5th but am poorfag

Posting in this thread from a T420

X220T probably, I just wish the screen was higher res. 1366x768 sucks.

t430
newest one with expresscard for egpu.
no flaws

Librebooted x60s is all I need

E460

there, i said it

I'm looking at a t430 right now, want to put Gentoo on it, can any anons confirm whether this one works with Linux?

Don't know about Gentoo, but it runs Ubuntu just fine.

One without the Intel Mangement Engin-

Shieeet.

X200/X201/X220
T420/T430 as a mobile workstation

X1 Carbon 5th gen. But if I had an unlimited budget probably a maxed out p51

Me too, the only flaw is its weight. I wish it wasn't so heavy

Do any of you keep the fn key as is or switch it with the ctrl key?
I can't stand ctrl not being in the bottom left corner

the one that I have, x200T

Getting ready to upgrade from my x201 Tablet to something else. Keep looking at x230 or T430 as my replacement.

T460. Nabbed it off eBay for $500. More than satisfies what I need in a college laptop.

Quad core T420 was my main machine for three years. Just built a new desktop and am wanting either an x220 or X1 now, want better battery life

Fucking POS

IBM 380ED with Win98.

Comfy OS, and super thicc.

Good taste even w was the werkstation sheit.

T420

Why would you buy a think pad, this thing is ugly as shit.

Coreboot.

>caring about aestetics
>not caring about build quality and freedom
please go back to /r/fashion and /r/apple.
and it's ThinkPad, not think pad.

Macbook pro

MacBooks are literally the pinnacle of build quality, faggot

X220

Switch that shit for sure. Is it possible to change the keycaps too?

Which thinkpad should am engineering student get?

t420i I bought through niggerlist, not even kidding the seller of craigslist was a nigger couple/duo

8GB RAM with an i7 is decent enough for me despite that the i7 is dual-core for $160 I can't complain

Gentoo compiles just fine
>t. T430 user

P50 because I got it for free.

T42, with Ubuntu 10.something because everything later is too advanced for this primitive technology
been tryna USB-boot kali off it today but CPU is non-pae feelsbad

Posting from t60, its real comfy. Cheap too. £30, then fitted a spare 60GB Drive

*500GB, the old one was 60

T 6 0

Stupid questions time, thinkpad edition

How can a Brit get a 2nd hand thinkpad as quickly as possible? Definitely next week, ideally as early as possible.
Is it even economical in the UK or is it only America that has loads of dirt cheap ex business thinkpads floating around?

Otherwise I'll just buy some 2nd hand shit from a store or a £300 shittop, I'm gonna put Linux on it anyway.

ebay my dude

Have you heard about /tpg/, mate?

>heavy
>being this much of a fagboi

Bought a X220 for £200 last year with i7, USB3.0, IPS display. I like it. Just gotta get lucky on ebay.

Interesting that it's doable.

How do you get one delivered without some minimum wage delivery wanker throwing it into the van and wrecking the harddrive.

I'll have a nosey around. I guess I can set my environment up on desktop and just copy it over to the laptop when it arrives. It absolutely must be here by week on Monday though.

Modified T440p

Royal Mail > literally any private courier

Upgraded T440p with T450 touchpad.

Ugly? I actually think they're very good looking. Excited to get my T470 later this month.

I bought an SSD for it so the hard drive thing wasn't an issue for me. I still have it though, and it was in good nick.

In terms of delivery, see

X1 Carbon. Alternatively the Yoga with OLED.

Gumtree has a decent amount of ThinkPads.

I have an X1 Carbon because I love the 14" form factor, but in hindsight I think I would have been better off buying a T440.

I have an X220, it's my favorite laptop that I have used.
Haven't tried any other thinkpads though.

on this note; has anyone successfully put kali on a machine with a non-pae cpu, or should I just not even go there? if not, any recommendations? Ubuntu is alright but a bit old, I want something that I can put to some use since I already have good working machines
inb4 mint or gentoo

>Gumtree has a decent amount of ThinkPads.

Good shout.

There's a good one an hour away from me if I can be arsed to drive out (andits legit)

IBM Thinkpad 760XD

I'm still on a fucking T43

T400 since is the last to carry 16:10, classic keyboard and chassis, and a non-botnet CPU.

Fucking this
Got arch running flawlessly on my 2015 rmbp
But of course thinkfags will come run at me screaming
>REEEEEE MUH THINKPADS MUH SPACECOMPUTER MUH ROLLCAGE
All while their eyes are bleeding from the 1280x800, or God forbid 1366x768
>inb4 some faggot with a 1600x900 display starts to say his screen is any good

My thinkpad of choice is the x120e because it's (almost) the latest AMD powered memepad. Also it's really tiny, ideal for a manlet like me.

>using the touchpad
REEEEEEEEEEEEE

macbook

You can swap RCTRL with Fn, but there's no way to actually swap keys. I don't think there's any sellers online with 1.25x Fn keys available.

I've had buy t420 for a while now and i wanna modify this shit. Anyone have a proper guide for the egpu thing.

>2006-2015
>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>extremely loose near bottom edge
>even applel admitted it's shit and went back to solid non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>shit tier 1mm travel chiclet kb
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats constantly from abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz due to chronic overheating problems

>2016+
>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>ultra shit tier zero travel kb
>keyboard louder than WWII cricket
>memetouch emojibar
>no USB-A
>no escape
>soldered ram
>soldered SSD
>tamper tape on battery screws
>applel falls for their own thin meme and uses 54WH battery
>2 hour battery life

howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
>it's 2017 and moving folders around in finder will STILL cause massive data loss

Mactoddlers, it's time.

Touchpad > memepoint on the 2012+ models.

I prefer being precise and fast, rather than gently overshooting buttons and shit with the memepoint.

the x60 and x200.

Blurry pics make me suspicious.

i5, 6GB though

The new keyboard feels like a blue switch mechanical board with shorter travel. Absolutely fantastic and I can easily go over 90wpm on it.
Force touch is amazing and I prefer it over the nipple (I own a x201, x200, t420, x220, t60 and a t61)
On my Macs I tolerate macos until the Linux kernel supports the hardware, other wise macos is just freebsd with a different de.
And fuck off with those false claims. My 2015 pro gets 9 hours of battery on arch and my 2016 pro can easily hit 11 hours if the screen is on midbrightness and I bother to use safari, 9 on Firefox, 8 hours when I was cross compiling a gentoo install for my t61

Just bought a t430 i5 waiting for it to come in the mail, gonna plop my ssd card in it and use it for college

Anyone who isn't a typelet can go 90+ on the cheapest keyboard possible.

You're a terrible salesman.

>thinkshit meme again

I once had a guy sell his T420s with 8gb ram and 128gb SSD for only 100 euros.

He apparently just wanted to sell it fast af. Not sure how your economical situation is, but if I were you i would try picking it up.

Not even librebootable.

W520 is the obvious choice, it is literally just a improved T420
>only a inch bigger display
>infinitely better display - major pro over T420, which is notorious for ultra shitty panel, the one in W520 is better in all ways, higher resolution, great colors and good viewing angles
>potentially much more powerful
>4 ram slots
Probably more pros, W520 is truly superior to the T420

My finances are fine I just need a disposable but decent laptop to put Linux on for an interview.

>only a inch bigger display

T420 is already the perfect size, 5 series are too big.

t430 here :)
just trying some of the last ubuntu

please use the search engine of your choice to find the answer to your problem, there are much tutorials out there

No, it isn't. It is not a lot bigger than my T420s. The biggest difference in size is when comparing thickness. Also I'd rather have a inch bigger screen which is a lot better than use a shitty panel because it's an inch smaller. You don't know how great the panel is until you see it, I used the T420s for years which has just as shitty panel as regular T420 and holy fuck was I amazed by the W520.
W520 is superior.

T420 with SSD :D

I know there are my man I just don't know which one is the best. I am very picky.

x240 w/ 1080 display in an x250 chasis

w530 >>> t430

Check eBay, I got my t60 for £30

Mine was packed up like a tank so I guess its luck

my only experience with thinkpads is my x220. Its great but I dont use it nearly as much as I thought I would, partly because I have too many computers already and I've been trying to baby the x220 but im starting to feel like that makes no sense at this point because its already old, in perfect condition and likely to significantly outlive its usefullness especially if i dont ever use it

which thinkpad can emulate ps1 games without overheating for the cheapest price / performance?

i'm looking at the x220t with an i5-2520M, 128gb SSD and 4gb ram for $200 AUD.

This thing is so fucking slow

HP Elitebook 2540p

This thing is just unusably slow, even with 8gb memory and a SSD installed. (I put both of those things to better use by getting an X230 instead.)

My X61t can do it fine on Winblows, but I can't seem to get the drivers right on Lubuntu. I can get like 5fps in SNES on RetroArch. Shit drives me crazy.

Looking for a ThinkPad for wordpress, audacity, and modern gaymen on super low settings. Preferably with the old-style keyboard and an Intel HD 4400 or better. I'm considering just biting the bullet on an X220, but I've heard you can swap an old keyboard into the X230. I was considering the X240 for battery life, but I'm not sure what mods can be done to it. If my budget is >$140 burgerbux without HDD/RAM, should I bother looking at the T/W series?

I was looking at the X230, ended up with the T430, no regrets so far and i'm running the programs you after as well as most Adobe programs and then some. Of course you may be one of the many who will kill themselves over the screen

Are you me.
Why should I care?

>daily reminder that Thinkpads are no longer used on the ISS and have been replaced by HP Zbooks in space and MacBook Pros down here on Earth and Thinkpads are now owned by Chinks who put God only knows what kind of malware baked into the machines. I know it hurts but it's true.....don't shoot the messenger

A thinkpad that is in 1440x1080 resolution, has no trackpad, a fullsized keyboard, is librebootable, and has USB 3.0, HDMI-out for TVs (in case you want to sit back and watch 16:9 media).

The x61s

>served in a bowlers hat full of perfume

you're prolly thinking about the x100e, THAT is unusably slow. The x120e has a dual core CPU that's quite decent for shitposting and light media.

EliteBook 2570p

Come at me ThinkFags