/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

asa.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1121/1.4984044
rinchoi.blogspot.com/2010/05/headphone-equalization.html
innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-frequency-response-part-one
hauptmikrofon.de/theile/1986-3_Standardization-of-studio-headphones_JAES-1986.pdf
vbn.aau.dk/files/227876689/2008_Hammersh_i_and_M_ller_AAA.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=5AUF3HlmcDA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

HD650.

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

First for DAC/Amp stacks are a waste of money.

shameless copy from old thread:

>Budget
~100€
>Location
Deutschland
>Source
phone, laptop
>Type of headphone
over
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
max comfy
>Sound signature
neutral/warm? i hear everything. from chopin(classic) to neophyte(hardstyle).
>Past headphones
audeo phonak pfe 012 and audeo phonak 112 on green/black filter.

looking for an allrouder with good noise isolation for office work.
i know the basic rec from a few years ago.
>ath m50x
>beyer custom one pro
>dt770pro 32ohm
dt770pro was/is on my top spot. but has literally nothing changed since 2014? 770 still rules surpreme on this price range?

Beyerdynamic Custom Studio is well worth saving up a bit more for. It has all of the strengths of the DT770 minus the DT770's excessive, fatiguing treble response.

>Budget
$200ish
>Location
East Coast USA
>Source
Desktop PC
>Type of headphone
Over
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Must remain comfy for 8 hour listening sessions
>Sound signature
I listen to every kind of music, so I would prefer a neutral, but would be okay if it errs on the bassy side.
>Past headphones
MTH-M30X

I've been eyeing the ATH-MSR7GM since the 30x has served me well for a cheapo headphone, any other suggestions?

Should i drop the bomb on the HE4XX? Are they worth it?
Part of me wants to try planar headphones.

Beyerdynamic Custom Studio

Be aware that you're taking a huge risk with regards to Hifiman build quality and customer service, both of which are known to be terrible.

thanks ill look at it.

>/hpg/
>$300 headphones are goat
>hd6xx or gtfo
>no dac or amp needed, use motherboard

This generals is officially degenerate.

asa.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1121/1.4984044
Yes, $300 headphones are GOAT. That is correct.

and what do you use my good man?

How to improve /hpg/ in just a few clicks:

1. Click on the [Settings] link at the top or bottom of the page
2. Click on Filters & Post Hiding
3. Click the [Edit] link next to Filter and highlight specific threads/posts
4. Paste !WKOEehnYmc in to the box underneath pattern and tick the Hide box
5. Click Save, and then Save Settings

You now have a cancer free /hpg/ experience.

E X T R A T H I C C C A B L E S

This is a reminder that DiPolarDisorder is a shitposting troll who intentionally spreads factually incorrect misinformation such as "hrtf graphs have an inverse relationship with how a headphone should measure," refuses to back up his claims with credible evidence because he cannot and tells anyone who proves him wrong they "can't read." His HRTF claim has been thoroughly debunked by:
rinchoi.blogspot.com/2010/05/headphone-equalization.html
innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-frequency-response-part-one
hauptmikrofon.de/theile/1986-3_Standardization-of-studio-headphones_JAES-1986.pdf
vbn.aau.dk/files/227876689/2008_Hammersh_i_and_M_ller_AAA.pdf
Do not take anything he says seriously, especially headphone recommendations.
>in b4 he falsely claims he has debunked these links while refusing to link to said "debunking"
>in b4 multiple samefag damage control posts

>WWAAAHHHHHHH HE DOESNT AGREE WITH MY OPINION WAAAAHHHH

MOOOMMMM. MOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM THE TRIPFAG IS STILL HERE IM GONNA START SMACKING MY OWN HEAD REEEEEEEEE

>Cancer free

That doesn't get rid of the Sennheiser shills and weebs though

>excellent comfort
>Uncomfortable to wear

The 600 are much more comfortable, even with the original clamp, which we all know can be loosened very easily. I have small ears and all beyer pads touch my ears. They're fucking irritating. I'm not even going to talk about the sound, that's a waste of time. Build quality is better on beyers and that's it.

Mostly. Tripfag still posts without trip half of the time.

That's been debunked.

For an example,

I-It's a conspiracy! He posts without the trip I swear! I'm not a paranoid schizophrenic because of this tripfag!

>anyone who uses the word "debunked" is now the tripfag with his trip off

Post more headphones with mechanical keyboards please.

>/hpg/
>favorite headphone: hd600
>favorite dac/amp: motherboard
>favorite source: low bitrate mp3
I'm not learning anything in these breads.

>6KHz icepick
>distortion inducing tube amp
>placebo garden hose cables and dacs
>apple
Looks like the perfect setup indeed.

replace your keycaps they're like $10 for pbt

stop using your slimy year old hand oils as lube to rub your keys

Buttblasted shillheisers not realizing they're the stage 4 tumor to the tripfags benign cyst.

Neither of those posts mention Sennheiser; your post is a shitpost.

>replace your keycaps they're like $10 for pbt
Why would I want to replace my keycaps? I like them as they are.
This is a das keyboard 4 ultimate. If it's not clear enough, the keycaps are supposed to be blank.

Dude, You're on-top of that cancer. Now go back to shilling your. HD 600s that you may not even own

Nice try, OP. You dumb HD 600 poster

>Anyone and everyone against my views is a tripfag
>No exceptions
Autism

That faggot's been shitting up the threads for weeks. Want to bet he's a shill?

>Schiit Fulla/2
Good DAC, decent amp, nice knob, convenient set of connectivity/features.
>Audioquest red
Known bad. The black one is OK though. It's just a DAC.
>CEntrance DACPort HD/Slim
Same DAC chip as the Fulla2, so probably OK on that front. Amp any good, no idea. I don't like the 384KHz/DSD buzzword focus. DSD and PCM on the same device is a bad flag already; if it's a small device, even more so.

first Fulla has an awful knob though.

what is bad about Dragonfly Red?

btw, CEntrance DACPorgt Slim has no DSD and is cheaper.

Also, it has a removable cable.

Well look at what just came in the mail...

HIT US WITH THOSE FIRST IMPRESSIONS SENPAI

>falling for the tripfag memecans

What are the best earphones for jogging under £50 ($65)?

>Tripfag memecans
>Being this asshurt about one tripfag
I shiggy

well, I came from using shitty earbuds, so this is heaven for me.

Firstly, it doesn't crush my head like the old JVC pair I had. It's comfy as fuck.

Bass is just the right amount for me. You can feel the humpf.

Definition is awesome as well. That's all I can say, I haven't tried a whole lot of headphones with this kind of quality.

But yeah, really comfy.

It was either this or the Philips SHP9500, which was actually more expensive.

would these be worth getting? I've heard a lot about them. I'm no audiophile but I do appreciate good sounding headphones. These are practically mass produced chink-tier but I want some new headphones. I currently use Audio-Technica ATH M30 headphones. I like them but the chord is too fucking long for comfortable use. I always have to wrap it around my desk or something. The Monoprice headphones have a detachable cable which is nice since I can make it different lengths with different cables.

Yay or nay?

Best "entry" level Planars?

I've looked at the Monoprice, everyone says they're great, but have QC issues.

Pretty sure the issues have been fixed with their newest revision.

Never ever heard about these, which can't be a good thing.
Why does your budget suck? If you want to upgrade, try saving till you have enough for something like the HD579.
Make it count, else you'll be using chinks forever.

Regarding earphone / IEM burn in.

Would i get the same supposed benefits of burning in my new IEMs by just using them regularly and patiently waiting for them to burn in over a longer period of time?

The mechanical effects of both approaches are identical as far as i understand, except that deliberate burning in does its thing in one 24/72/100 hour session as opposed to accumulating that same use time over weeks / months of frequent but intermittent use.

Does playing pink noise have a different mechanical effect than playing regular music?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Hifiman he-400i or 4xx
Fostex t50rp modded
Glad you enjoy them user

Very uncomfortable and will break quickly.

Oops meant
Glad you enjoy them.

I guess I should have made it clear that these are probably going to be used for traveling or to put in a bag. Since they're cheap I won't be worried if they break and cost $100. I'm thinking about getting some Sony MDR7506 headphones for my desk.

I don't have them yet I'm asking if they're worth buying. Probably as beater headphones.

Have you used them? I'm a little worried about them breaking too quickly. I'm not rough with my headphones but accidents happen.

Bonus: with the bigger jack I can actually plug into my bass amp and it sounds really crisp and punchy, perfect for practicing at night.

Yeah I realized this sorry, meant to reply to someone else.

That being said, at that budget you should consider the kz zs3 or zs5 in for a little extra.

OK, give me something reasonable
>Budget
~300$, little bit more if necessary
>Location
europe
>Source
smartphone
>Type of headphone
full-sized, WIRELESS
>Open or closed
semi-closed
>Comfort level
comfy even when wearing all day
>Sound signature
neutral or little bassy

I have an IEM that uses a armature driver behind a dynamic one and it's bass(while maybe a tad too strong) is of great quality. Really nice headphone.
What kind of IEM set up do you guys think offers the best sound?
1. Hybrid BA+Dynamic
2. Straight armature
3. Straight dynamic
I'm thinking about picking up another hybrid but with at least two armature drivers and less emphasized bass. Armature can do bass but it's not considered to be as good as a dynamic driver right?
There are so many awesome and interesting IEMs I just want to hear them all

At what price range is it best to buy earphones up to €30?

Thoughts on the Monoprice M560? wanting either these or the 4XX on massdrop

>Have you used them?
Yes. They were very uncomfortable and broke in a few months.

I'm going to spend my student loan on the focal elear

>traveling or to put in a bag.
Ouch. I'd say just get some portapros for that.
Not really worth using anything more expensive for travel/throwaround
>mdr7506
Pretty good for first decent headphones.

>Cat chewing on headphone cable

How much of an upgrade is the K712 Pro over the K612 Pro?

Significant enough to warrant the purchase if you enjoy the akg sound.

Got these delivered today because they were £4.99 w/same day delivery. (Sport Intone E6)

Considering in the past I've only had stock phone earphones, lowest price sennheiser/skullcandys, and a pair of it7x2's, I'm fucking blown away by the sound quality.

Is this just because they're iem's, or are there other overear headphones that I could expect similar/better quality from?

wtf. My cat doesn't seem to give a shit about cables in general.
Different headphones, K712 are bassy, k612 are neutral-ish.

>buy bluetooth heaphones
>quality of the headphone is good and the sound isn't shit
>nearly 6 months and no defects after buying them used on eBay
What fuck /hpg/, you told me bluetooth was a meme.

Thanks to the anons recommending me upgrade my HD558's to 600's in the last thread!

Superlux HD-681 Evo, yay or nay?

what model?

Glad it went well, user-kun.
Hifumi a best.

ok what is the consensus on this? is there a perceptible difference between 320kbps .mp3 and lossless? is the "320kbps .mp3 is more than enough" argument just "the human eye can't see more than 24/30/60 fps"-tier nonsense?

also i remember that there was a scientific study where they played a recording of some exotic musical instrument that produced tones above 20 kHz and they measured increased brain activity in the test subjects that listened to the recording that including the supposedly inaudible higher frequencies.

Hifumi a cute. A cute!

MDR 1000x. Got a killer deal for 200 bucks on eBay a while back and decided to go for it.
>inb4 that samefag posts the forum link bitching about cracks on launch day everytime "Sony MDR-1000x" is mentioned on this thread
No defects on my end yet at all. The audio quality is much better than I expected, previously had the M50x's and never owned a bluetooth headphone before buying the 1000x, it's the best 200 I have spent.

From reading Hydrogenaudio forums it seems that 320kbps MP3 will be transparent in MOST cases but can produce audible artifacts in very rare, specific cases.
There needs to be more testing done of Opus, which seems like by far the best lossy codec.

use opus

I think it's only relevant for critical listening in home environments and with material you're already familiar with. For portable/not at home situations it's kind of pointless. It's smart to keep full sized lossless music files for archive purposes however, this way you can just convert to lossy files when needed and still have a nice, lossless copy as your baseline

This being said, I use 192 kbps Opus. There have been multiple studies of whether average people can perceive mp3 artifacts and they've all concluded average people can't perceive 192 kbps mp3 artifacts. Opus is demonstrably superior to mp3 and actually reproduces 20 Hz to 20 kHz unlike other lossy codecs, so I use 192 kbps VBR Opus, have done blind testing with it and it's transparent to me.

Best earbuds for 200€ or less? Comfort is a must.

How low can you go before you start hearing a difference? I have a few FLAC files that I would like to convert to Opus. Personally I've found that even 80kb is still pretty decent for listening. It really equipment dependent though.

bumping question

Post first impressions!

Yamaha EPH-100

I like the Fidelio S2s.

192kbps is usually the transparency line for most people. I would say at 128kbps it's transparent for 99%. But fuckin 80kbps? even white noise sounds compressed as hell at that bit rate

What do you guys think of InnerFidelity's wall of fame?
Lets take a look at the over ear closed back selections because it's much more competitive than open back.
>Mr. S Aeon
Don't think many people will disagree it's the top closed back.
>Shure SRH1540
Don't hear much about these but they look gorgeous. He says they're "extraodinarily good at low listening levels, they ..fall apart a bit at higher volumes".
>Oppo PM-3
Suggested for their build quality, style, comfort, and great sound although lacking "that last bit of refinement and air".
>Meze 99 Classics
I disagree with him here, these things are over priced and over shilled garbage. He says sound is quite good but bass is a bit loose and that they're "far more fun than competitors".
>Vmoda m100 -> ATH-m50x -> CAL > HD202

I really disagree with his budget options(m50x is just out done at this point especially with the CB-1 around). Meze is over priced trash, Oppo is good, aeons are good. Shure SRH1540 look questionable at $500.
Would you feel comfortable referring a friend to his lists for help picking a headphone?

You have to take Tyll with a grain of salt. He absolutely hates anything sibilant or overly bright. And while those are problems that should be criticized, he usually just shits on the headphones once he hears spicy treble, regardless if everything else is amazing.

He still has good, detailed reviews, although he's definitely a shill for Mr. S and Massdrop at this point. I'll use him as a good reference, but knowing his caveats helps when comparing.

>He absolutely hates anything sibilant or overly bright
Sounds like /our guy/

VERY uncomfortable and made completely of plastic, but the sound is pretty good for like $18 after shipping. The treble is definitely recessed and bass is emphasized. And don't forget that they are VERY uncomfortable.

I've heard pretty bad things about the Aeon and Shure headphone, but very very good things about the pm3 and meze 99's. I think the m100's are maybe okay for ~$150 if you really want an extremely bass heavy headphone. I've also heard good things about the cal, but I haven't heard them personally.

>He absolutely hates anything sibilant or overly bright.
As do most people.

this is THE SHOCKING SECRET the audio industry doesn't want you to know

he's not a shitposter, his posts are just measured with a poor seal

Some song to evaluate HD600 and/or lesser headphones.
youtube.com/watch?v=5AUF3HlmcDA

Any suggestions for good earphones for under $60 that aren't the KZ ZS5's?
Mostly for use in phone and PC, orchestral music

Do people here actually listen to this?