/sqt/

Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How can I check and know for certain that chipset drivers were installed on a desktop?

What's a good project that one can do and present at an expo if they're a newbie in web designing?

a way to reliable pirate iptv???

when I watch youtube videos with mpv by copying and pasting the URL, is there a way to have it stream audio only?

My fermi 480 gtx died on me today.I just need 1080 60 fps with an hdmi and a dvi port.
I dont game,and my monitors are only 1080p.
What nvidia generation should i look at?

Go to Device Manager, Click Other Devices, if you don't see a yellow error warning, they installed correctly. Device Manager will show a yellow error on anything without a driver / with a broken driver.

--no-video

Thanks!

What is best support linux distro for japanse language?

I am japanse person living in america and i want to switch to it, however but i can not find good distro for japanse language.

Suggest?

whoa it worked great
thanks thanks thanks

After factory resetting my laptop should I install all windows updates or leave it rolled back on Service Pack 1 for Windows 7?

Is the spying just a meme?

i dont know, i'd think that ubuntu and debian have good support right off the bat
i mean, just install japanese fonts and fix your locales
dont know how to deal with the terminal though, probaby doable to have nip nop inputs for it

Whats the correct way to set up a ubuntu vm on a physical partition instead of container files?

I created the partition without formatting and could select it in the vmware workstation 10 setup wizard.

But the xubuntu setup can't create the filesystem.

One more question: was the standard shortcut to it called "Navigator" or "Netscape Navigator"? (Like "Firefox" as opposed to "Mozilla Firefox")

hoo?

I was thinking that. That is because ubuntu is very popular right?

Is 20mbps sufficient bandwidth for Netflix 4K streaming?

You're at the upper limit cap.
Ideally 30+ would be sufficient incase of inconsistent connection

did you try it?

He's probably choosing a package and needs help deciding, you nigger

so I want to turn my old lg g3 into an actual handheld emulation console instead of using these shit bluetooth controllers. do you guys have any good resources for stuff like this? maybe a usb controller, a decent rom for pure emulation, and someone who can 3d print cases? I've tried looking shit up for this but all I can find is people just installing retroarch and then hooking up their phones to their tv, I want to make this a real handheld

Could be read-only. Maybe you need to run VMWare with administrative privileges or something.

By the way, if you're wanting to install it to the disk so that you can dual-boot your host with this Xubuntu installation as well as running it from a virtual machine, that probably won't work if you're installing it to a partition, rather than a whole raw disk, because you would be creating a partition table within a partition table. If you're sufficiently determined, you might be able to make this work with an initramfs and some loop device magic.

If you're wanting to use a whole partition for performance reasons, keep in mind that a preallocated non-fragmented raw disk image file on an NTFS filesystem shouldn't be too much different. I dunno much about VMWare in particular, but with qemu + kvm, one thing you can do is disable cache and use "native" IO, and another thing is to use a paravirtualized block device driver such as virtio-blk, instead of SCSI / IDE / SATA. VMWare probably has an equivalent to this, or maybe even supports VirtIO. The only other main things for performance are setting CPU affinity to pin virtual machine threads to physical CPUs, and using larger memory pages on the host allocated to the guest (on Linux this is called Hugepages, dunno what the Windows equivalent is, if there is one).

If there's an option to launch a terminal during installation try:
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1

Or whatever is the partition.

thanks, vmware is in admin mode, otherwise I can't boot the vm after creation anyway.

It seems to stick to the easy-installer. I have to read up on how to disable that, it skips the whole formatting process.

Installing on a whole disk works, but a partition doesn't.

Dualboot is not what I want, I just want to separate it to another disk otherwise it interfers with other I/O instances which tend to lock up my system occasionally and doesn't fragment the whole thing.

I have a feeling that the installer looks for an already existing ext4 filesystem on that partition which I cant create in windows. Might need to do that from a live-usb instead

I currently have a Windows HDD and other HDD all NTFS; if I put in another drive, and put linux on it, when I boot windows (W10), that drive will be invisible, correct?

But when I boot linux, will I see those NTFS drives?

No,it will still show the drive but it cant do anything with it since its not a filesystem it understands.

Why do you keep posting callisto?

windows can't see linux, you'd need to open an ext file browser program
linux can see ntfs ~~IF~~ you downloads ntfs shit

I know this is /sqt/, but there's a limit to how stupid a question can be.

You will be able to see the NTFS drives just fine and even mount them and read and write to them from Linux. You can also read and write your Linux filesystems on Windows (though I'd recommend just using read-only) using Paragon ExtFS for Windows.

Windows will show the drive you mean?

By "not do anything with it" you mean the drive wont even be "openable" right? I just want to make sure my windows OS doesnt somehow fuck up things on the linux's HDD.

And the Linux OS will see the NTFS drives??

I have a 2TB external drive

if I buy another is there a straightforward way to getting a constant mirror going without having to move all my data off the first drive beforehand?

I understand RAID 1 is what im looking for but I never fucked with it before. Im a windows pleb btw

I made a huge goof. How much would it cost a bank to print and reissue about 500 credit cards?

^im
Ah ok so The linux drive wont even have a drive letter assigned. It will maybe be visible in device manager I assume, but cant touch it without something like paragon. Good. I prefer that lol

You can get little thumbsticks in a plastic mount that suction-cup onto your screen to emulate thumbsticks on a controller, but I can't imagine they work very well.

You can very easily plug in a DualShock 3/4, X360 or XBone controller, or one of those NES/SNES USB clones, to your phone using an OTG adapter.

I haven't heard of any ROMs to replace your Android OS on your phone specifically for emulation, though. And getting the case 3D printed wouldn't be the problem, but getting someone to design it for you. It'll likely also need to be printed in parts, at least two, to make the shape be comfortable (overhangs are hard to print), and require gluing, sanding, priming, painting, ... Afterwards. You could start by sifting through the pages of results that come up on www.yeggi.com when you search for LG G3 to see if there's anything remotely like what you want already available, for starters. Otherwise you're gonna have to pay someone to design the whole thing for you and costs are gonna start ramping up.

Consider getting one of those mounts that clip onto a DS3 or DS4 that you can clip the phone into, and a short mini (if DS3) or micro (if DS4) to micro USB OTG cable instead.

Spill them beans, user.

thanks user, and yeah cost isn't a huge concern but obviously I don't want it to be a crazy amount.

pic is what I'm using atm. I've considered getting a few broken ds3 controllers off of craigslist just to see how much they can be modified/stripped down to be able to fit in a more compact space. wish I knew a few engineers who could design the models for free but I'm not that lucky.

I notice the iphone 6 (just an example) has a 1080p screen.

I cant find such small 1080p screens with hdmi hookup, I've seen some that are close but are very expensive..

Whats my best bet for a cheap monitor, thats fairly small, with good ppi? When I say small I mean 10" and under.

All I see maybe is 720p

>thought these tiny monitors would be nice to leave sound control windows open in, or other small windows that are left open

thats just retarded

I might get shaftet for that, but there is a mirror functionality in the windows management tools.

Maybe that's good enough?

With windows this seems annoying to accomplish... but with linux is it easy to take any keyboard/mouse input, and map it to a dummy key (like F13) to accomplish a specific function?

Wanted to get one of those extended button keypads, would be nice to label them and just click on button, then it does the specific things I want without having to use a combination of ctrl+alt as the hotkey its mapped to

The spying is real, but so is malware. Dont ignore updates.

pastebin.com/quC0gz4j

xev
xbindkeys
use xev to find the symbcode/keycode and then use xbindkeys to map it out.

Really easy to accomplish with windows, Look up Autohotkey

Thanks famm, just needed those key phrases to look into.

In some intro curse on assembly, I've learned about Carry flag and how it indicates overflows on arithmetical operations.
Yet C does not have checked addition or multiplication, is there some reason for that?

I noticed sometimes people post pics with their questions because they think that will help them get replies. Can someone post or link to a dump of these interesting pictures?

Here you are buddy:

Sup Forums.org

how possible is it to whitelist a single youtuber?

I noticed sometimes people post pics with their questions because they think that will help them get replies. Can someone post dump these interesting pictures?

Google adsense sent me a letter awhile back saying that I can claim $80 that they owe me or something, but I'm only now able to get around to it. Thing is though, I'm going on vacation tomorrow and the deadline for this is before I get back.
The problem I'm having is that it says I have to log into my account and take action, but that's all it says. There's no instructions whatsoever for what to do or how to do it. The site is a confusing clusterfuck of garbage. Does anyone know what to do? I can't figure anything out, and support for this issue is nonexistant. I've logged into this thing probably once 5 years ago.

I hear this website is an image board and has a bunch of images, maybe this is what you're looking for: Sup Forums.org

Tl;dr: To acquire a xubuntu laptop would you buy a 2nd hand Win7 laptop of yesteryear or buy the cheapest new Win10 shittop money can buy?

Will be wiping it and Linuxing it anyway so I'm not sure it matters.

I think my options are
>£300-350 2nd hand rando laptop, Win7, proper i5 or similar, small SSD kinda jobbie
>~£300 shitty but brand new HP, one of those shitty low power laptop CPUs, massive HDD cos its the easiest stat to pad to grab normies attention
>A thinkpad off amazon or ebay that probably won't come in time and will be broken.

Can any of you with a Ryzen setup on Linux determine the value of MSR 0xc0010010 using rdmsr? Trying to determine support for their new SME feature.

Why does my windows guest under proxmox show the real RAM usage thanks to virtio, but fails to free RAM to the host system? since if I htop I see constantly the full max RAM being reserved.

Is there any way to import all torznab links with categories directly to sonarr? or do I really have to go through like 40 links manually?

My friend has an unlicensed version of W7 on his computer. He wants to upgrade to legit W10. What would be the best option to do this? He doesn't want to loose any of his stuff in the process.

>Buy a W7 license plug it in to his pc - then do the free W10 update through the accessibility page?
>Buy W10 license and try to upgrade that way?

go refurbished from a reputable dealer like newegg, you can get an i5 with 4jiggerbits of ram for around a hundred and twenty, u.s.

PDF or dvju for turning physical books into digital books
?

Also do any of you use djvu?

>A thinkpad off amazon or ebay that probably won't come in time and will be broken.

this is the way
look for thinkpad x1on ebay
consider that those notebooks cost $1500 at the day they were released
the build quality you will appreciate

The upgrade for retards should work with daz loader. At least g told me so. Else you find win10 pro for like 15 bucks on kinguin and similar sites

>peak performance
>could knock the little shit so deep into a brick wall they would have to tear it down to get him out

male subs irk me

Why isn't firefox properly syncing my bookmarks?

does kinguin work? i told him about kinguin but he seemed hesitant because it was a too good to be true scenario for him. I'll tell him to quit being a bitch and go that route

I'm retarded, where can i reliably download paid apks? Nova launcher prime for example.

never even heard of kinguin, use mstoolkit

So i Just bought a CAT 5 internet cable 20 meters for 16 euros. There was a 20 meter CAT 6 cable for 45 euros too, but I thought that price was a little too much for a cable. So my question is: is 45 euros a meme or is it actually worth it for that price?

Using the cable for my pc I use for gaming and some torrenting, so it would be nice if I could get the most out of my internet speed.

I'm reinstalling my OS's on my new drive, but because it's a laptop, I don't think the drivers will be included.
This is fine for windows, but I don't know how to set it up for Debian. What'd be the easiest way of getting the drivers for this on Debian? They were all automatically there/created when I installed debian on the original drive.

pretty sure everything will still work. Are you upgrading to a new version or just using the same version? It should still recognize your hardware if it's the same version.

If all else fails, just clone the image of your hard drive onto the new one and nothing will be changed.

I'm not sure what version was originally installed. It wasn't that long ago so probably a similar enough version.
Does Debian itself check the hardware like W10 does then? In contrast I installed it on another laptop and it barely had any of the drivers.

Yes. You get an oem version

unless you need proprietary drivers you should be golden, and since you installed debian before with no issues I doubt you'll have issues this time either

Download the latest version, put it on a usb drive and test it out in the live version. The live version will pretty much be what the installed version will be like. I don't know how Debian checks for hardware. I've mostly used Ubuntu so Debian should be pretty similar.

should he get the W7 or W10 version in his case? I would assume W7 just to be safe right?

Okay, thanks.
I only thought it did that because the default hard drive usually has driver shit on one of its partitions which is where I thought it looked for them.

For your personal needs, yes its not worth getting.

nah, debian uses strictly free drivers unless you specifically enable nonfree repos

the shortcut was "Netscape Navigator", when it was still called that

So cat5 is plenty? I read that it has become obsolete and that cat5e is better or some shit. Surely the cat5 will be enough right?

>but because it's a laptop

What difference does this make?

Are you talking about weird shit like those little manufacturer Fn keys or a touch sensitive bar or something?

Cat 5e supports 1gbit transfer rate.Plain cat 5 supports 100mbps
You wont notice anything unless you're runing servers or constantly serving data from within your network to other parts of your network

When I live booted debian it couldn't even figure out my dual monitors or change resolution

Right, thanks man!

are niggers human

look in your heart, you already know the answer

n-no?
:~:

how do i enable remote connections in MySql workbench 6.3?
the option to allow it is just grayed out everywhere
>i have tried to google it but found nothing

you know it to be true, there is no need for doubt

How do you find your cpu architecture?
Got an i3 and not sure if it's amd64 or arm64, if either.

It's amd64.

uname -m
(x86_64 is amd64)

It's amd64. If you had arm or powerpc you'd know.

Lol virtually every laptop and PC ever made is not going to be ARM.

ARM are niche low power things like smartphones and raspberry pis (why you need special software and a special version of debian for your pi, standard x86 debian won't do)

what file system does Linux use? fat32 or ntfs?

Ebin, thank you user!

whatever you want it to use

Well why is callisto associated with /sqt/?

Out of the box, ext4, on most distributions.