Which linux distro do scientists use?

Which linux distro do scientists use?

Other urls found in this thread:

linux.web.cern.ch/linux/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not sure if this is the correct thread but I like my sister.

Windows because that's what their university's IT supports.

Ubuntu LTS. Pic related, a literal genius who made Google what it is today, using stock Ubuntu. Xubuntu is also okay.

Opensuse

The one I worked with used Fedora when I first met him, but I think he's using Ubuntu LTS now.

Operation system won't help you finish projects nor it make you smarter.
Just use what suits best for you. And it happens that it is arch linux:
- rolling release
- pacman
- AUR
- lightweight

Best operations system.

CentOS because that's what our department's fat neckbeard admin supports.

At my university, most people use ubuntu.
The libraries we use in my company (within the university) only supports ubuntu as well.

There actually is a "Scientific Linux" developed at Fermilab for use at research institutions. It's basically just CentOS with some different defaults and repos of scientific software, IIRC.

Needsauce 10.75

Musume no Doukyuusei to… Ecchi Shitaindesho?

Ubuntu LTS cause they need to get shit done, and not tweak all parameters and packages every morning

literally there is this arrow to the right of the number post that give you three options to reverse image it. I literally found it in 10 seconds.

That was cool

Computing centers usually run CentOS or Scientific
Users use whatever distro they want, I don't think distro usage statistics differ too much from Linux in general

t. sysadmin at physics department of a big uni

Depends on the kind of scientific work.
At our VLSI lab they used REHL, at the DSP lab they used ubuntu, and the Systems lab used Windows.

I always used RHEL when I worked for the Naval Research Lab.

Oh, and we used macs, too.

>ubuntu
So much for genius, huh.

10/10 boosted my self esteem. i can now pickup women and get laid. easy!

Pic related must be you

This is.

Ubuntu and Mint are the only valid Linux distros to use on a desktop/laptop. Everything else is used just for the sake of using an underdog OS.

(You)

install gentoo

>100 posts later and no post asking source for OPs picture
is Sup Forums officially gay orsomething now wtf

I use Windows on primary work and home desktop as well as laptop. PCs that need to stay running 24/7 and control measurement stations have lightweight distros like Xubuntu.

"Linux as everyday desktop OS" is a meme. I know because I tried.

you are a fag. there was a question for sauce
btw most people are smart enough for reverse image search (Sup Forums does link two sites for that directly).

Sup Forums has been pretty gay for quite a while. Don't forget to shave your legs and put on your programming socks.

>masturbating
>to cartoons
There's only one gay in this thread, user.

>not masturbating to cartoons
???

>not knowing the source
You're the gay here

Both my work computer and the clusters I use run on Ubuntu. It has bash, gcc and a text editor, which is pretty much all you need for most computational research. Latex editor and pdf reader are nice too, though.

t. math researcher

>babby doesn't know this artist
is Sup Forums officially new or something now wtf

>is Sup Forums gay

How new are you, nigger

Ubuntu Fedora, Debian.

Where is the pick where people start with ubuntu get deeper and deeper into the more autistic distros then end with ubuntu again. Thats it.

>people start with ubuntu get deeper and deeper into the more autistic distros then end with ubuntu again.
start on slackware then try other source based distros and finally retire to gentoo.

RHEL, Fedora, Debian and ubuntu are all quite common.

>Not knowing how to reverse image search
Dumb fuck

Arch at home, Ubuntu at work.

They use Windows 10.

Russian physicists choose Slackware

They don't use Linux. Overwhelmingly Scientific researchers use MacOS. Their software runs on clusters with RHEL deployments. If they run Linux on a desktop or laptop, Cent OS is the dominant distribution followed by Fedora and OpenSUSE. Windows is rare.

Commonly software is written with R, Python, C, C++, Haskell, CUDA, OpenCL, and a smattering of JavaScript and related frameworks usually for Visualizations and interfaces if required.

Looks like either centOS or SL.
linux.web.cern.ch/linux/

mac or ubuntu or windows literally just based on software

I use Mint but Debian is a sweet development environment

How do you fuck up drawing tits that bad?

Windows with Cinnamon