Minimum specs for RX Vega

What is the lowest spec power supply you can use to drive the new AMD RX Vega 64? Is 620 watts bronze ceriftied enough?

What is the lowest spec CPU you can use with AMD RX Vega 64 to still get great results? Is i5 3670K and 8GB DDR3 ok?

Other urls found in this thread:

gamersnexus.net/guides/2990-vega-frontier-edition-undervolt-benchmarks-improve-performance
youtube.com/watch?v=-oRLSotvcpA&t=903s
youtube.com/watch?v=5b9ECbzwx44
youtube.com/watch?v=NCjYKDXmnAs
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

RX Vega 64 uses 295 watts on average. You probably need something better, also your CPU is a little underwhelming. Maybe get RX Vega 56 instead if you don't want to upgrade everything else in your system.

The PSU's recommended by AMD are 850W for aircooled Vega64 and 1000W for the Liquid 64. The 56 is probably going to be 650W or 700W.

Disgusting. Miners can have them

wow, that seems excessively high. isnt 500 watts the minimum for 1080 and 600 watts for 1080ti?

Vega's a power hog, no way around it. Wait for benchmarks if you're not sure if it's worth it. There's been rumors Vega 56 beats the 1070, but that's about it.

Manufacturer recommended power ratings are overblown because of shitty PSUs, aging and generally a way to avoid lawsuits, we already know it uses around 300W not overclocked.

Seasonic is getting out a new nuclear powered PSU

Pretty much this. Also the majority of people that will get a vega64 will generally have a system that draws a fairly high load to begin with.

More like 500W

You can easily undervolt it and drop closer to 200W.

Vega only draws crazy amounts of power with a heavy overclock.

We're not talking about a 7900X here

AYYMD HOUSEFIRES 295W 345W

and the Vega nano at 150W?

That doesn't count because housefire spammer can't find a way to shitpost about it.

Guys, how about the CPU? What issues will someone run into if they run an Ivy Bridge CPU like a 3670K with a very modern GPU like Vega 64 or 1080ti?

Yes you will run into issues, that is an older i5.

thanks, but what kind of issues though?

You will be CPU bottlenecked in some games.

Why does no one understand what a bottleneck is? Your CPU just determines the max FPS you can get in a game, at 4k 60hz a G4560 or R3 1200 is fine.

If you play at 1440p or higher the CPU matters very little.

no issues with 1440p 144hz then?

Wjy should there be, you're GPU bottlenecked at that resolution

gamersnexus.net/guides/2990-vega-frontier-edition-undervolt-benchmarks-improve-performance

i dont know, i just dont quite get what you or these guys mean. i understand the concept of bottlenecking, but i dont understand how it relates to resolution or fps and cpu and gpu. i always figured cpu calculations arent a big deal in games and the most relevant performance are gpu related.

It's complicated stuff but really if you want reliable 1440 140Hz avoid anything amd

Haha.

It's funny yet true

You are still mostly GPU bottlenecked at 1440p.

No.

You will have issues at 144hz because that CPU isn't fast enough for most games at 144fps.

youtube.com/watch?v=-oRLSotvcpA&t=903s

Vega Nano is the same silicon and is a 150W TDP, full sized chips won't get that low, but they can certainly get close, the Vega 56 is 210W TDP

Idk where this comes from anyway. When gaming and GPU is at 99%, I'm barely drawing 300W from the wall and that includes my monitor which is plugged into the same power bar

2500k+1080 here

what res/fps do you usually game at with that 2500k+gtx 1080? whats your performance like?

What games are you playing? Might not even be maxing it out.

Mainly play Overwatch, Factorio and Skyrim
Can hit 60FPS on everything so Im not complaining

AMD push Vega to the limit because it suck

according to that video, even the new ryzen 1700 cant reach 144fps on a weak ass game like dota 2. thats very disappointing. perhaps 4k 60fps like this guy is the optimal thing to shoot for if you dont want to buy a new $500 cpu with your new video card?

Dota uses up to 16 threads it just doesn't do it very well. Either way it's over 100fps you aren't going to notice a difference between the 1700 and 7700K in gaming.

Any decent, say, 80+ 500W PSU will be plenty, unless you've got an Intel i9.
If you have an Intel i9, you need 500W for the CPU alone.

it should definitely be enough, most important thing is the wattage on the 12v rails I think

ive been running a 290x/3570k/16gb ram for 2 years now on a 500w power supply just fine

>You will have issues at 144hz because that CPU isn't fast enough for most games at 144fps.
That video was done using 3,000mhz ram on Ryzen. If you want to game at 144hz on Ryzen you should buy 3600mhz ram, at which point an R7 at 4.0ghz virtually ties a 7700k at 5.0hgz

>AMD push Vega to the limit because it suck
That mostly depends on whether Vega's ~20% regression in memory bandwidth vs. Fiji can be fixed in drivers/BIOS or not.

No one but crazy people will get 3600mhz running on Ryzen, at best you can get 3200mhz with B-die.

Do people actually reach those ram as speeds? Seems like everyone gets around 3000 to 3200

youtube.com/watch?v=5b9ECbzwx44

Maybe the 8gb version will clock better

get a load of these chuckleheads
youtube.com/watch?v=NCjYKDXmnAs

Have you overclocked that 3570k?

Bloody hell, don't tell me I have to worry about my PSU.

I have a 650W Season Gold PSU and an i7 6850K, clocked to 4.0 GHz across all cores.

I'm currently using an undervolted Fury. Would the Vega really draw that much more power?

AMD is pleased by this, miners are the ones keeping them in business. I thinking my next card will likely be an nvidia card at this rate.

Good luck with that once a new meme replaces it.

They always recommend way too high because there are real low quality PSUs out there and they don't know what other hardware is in the system. If they recommend 600W some idiot is going run a 220W CPU, 10 harddrives and Vega on a 600W firecracker chinese PSU.

A good quality 600W PSU is all you need for any single GPU setup.

No, you're fine. Unless you have a housefire cpu, you'll draw 500-525 watts at an absolute maximum (Vega64 with a big OC and no/limited undervolting)

when will vega hit the virtual shelves anyway?

August 14th

How much of a meme is 4K? I can afford to get a vega 64 and 4K display but I'm not sure if I have a good enough PSU (550 watt) and CPU (i5-3570k which I can't overclock because shit mobo). Should I just go for the 56 and a 1440p display to be safe?

Get a 56 and a 4k display.
A good quality 4k display will last a long time. You will replace the GPU in 2-3 years anyway.
"1440p" is a not worth buying unless it's cheap as chips

I'm planning on run it in my 650w Gold, I think I'm save.

>You're going to upgrade the gpu in 2-3 years anyway
I went almost 5 years on my gtx 760. Before I'm upgrading the GPU I'll have to upgrade the CPU, which in turn requires a new mobo which will require new RAM. And since my PSU is a 6 year old literally who brand, I'm gonna have to get a new PSU too. Probably a larger case too. Shit's gonna take a while.

I meant upgrading from the 56 to whatever is next btw

Buy a Vega bundle, user! It'll save you $200 on a mobo and CPU! :-)

No

yeah, to 4.1

this is my PSU: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035

Nevermind then

Vega64 gonna be 295W TDP, it's 20W more than the 290X, could be on the edge for full load

it'' never reach that during games, only furmark and other similarly strenuous benchmarks

dunno user, Vega FE has the same TDP and actually reaches it in games and peaks even more. power saving features are turned off, but i don't think it will affect the peaks