Working for Google

I'm going back to school for comp sci with my ultimate goal being a job at Google. Any advice?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juicero
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Start dyeing your hair, put on weight and have a dildo in your butt at all times

you'd be better off going to school for computer engineering

everyone and their brother has a comp sci degree these days

Is Google really all it's talked up to be? I can't tell you how many conversations with coworkers where they praise Google as the place to work because of it's benefits and work culture.

Be a good soldier and destroy it from within.

This^

U should change ur name to rajesh for increase ur chances

>ultimate goal being a job at Google
why

Learn maths, learn algorithm, practice algoritms, programming thing you like, grow up and find better jobs in tech over begins code monkey #29293 in Google, begin reemplace by some H1B in 15 years.

FREE FOOD AND COLORFUL ARCHITECTURE, LMAO

What's a better company to work for?

congrats on getting into stanford

Why would you want to work for any megacorporation where you're just a disposable employee number?

Find a job with a small team that's part of a successful local business. They pay better and you're more important to them.

Prepare to write shit how to analyze movies for sexism and raycism and manpslaining etc.

Google takes care of it's employees with more benefits and perks than a small company could offer.

I know a lot of people who worked at Google, I've had dealings with them via HP and had my own @google.com for a few years as a Linux contractor (only got called twice though).

It's well overrated, the benefits are nice but you're no longer someone who works at Google, you're 'a Google employee', it either becomes a big part of your life or you leave early.

AMA about Google if you want, but I don't encourage working there.

It's also super SJW since a bit before I left the company.

>than a small company could offer
Absolutely not true

did the poo in loo kid actually get a job with google?
do they normally hire kids? Does google also own a pedo ring?

Is it true that the smartest minds work at Google?
Has your dealings with them increased your value to other companies you apply for?
What qualifications get your foot in the door?
Is their salary competitive or top tier?
What was your personal experience working there?
Why wouldn't you recommend it to others?

Thanks man.

change your life goals. Google is evil as fuck.
this guy tells the right thing. The only time you would want to hang out with corporations is when you have an awesome project that badly needs funding from investors. But even then they'll find a way to fuck you up.

>Is it true that the smartest minds work at Google?
They have to make idiot-proof new programming languages because their employees aren't capable of properly using existing ones. What do you think?

Are you talking about Go?

I last worked there about a year ago, but statistically an average street shitter in America would get hired easily, they have a hard-on for Indians because they do what they're told.

I've seen sub 20-s get brought in pretty often but not on full contracts, pedo ring is pretty possible, the account manager we had there seemed like the type.

There's a lot of very smart people but overall it's very groupthink, so I'm not sure how much it matters.
Short of having some of Google's regional managers on LinkedIn not really, nobody cares.
I had about 5 years experience with their own usage of Debian and some other things, but I was very involved with some of the Soalris project which Google used heavily which really did it.
It's top tier but you do need to push for it, I wasn't full-time but they tried to Jew me out on the whole 'but you'll be Google!!' thing.
A lot of the people are stuck up macfags but there's a lot of DnD nerds and normies too, I'd say you can find at least a few people to get on with.
Overall I much prefered working at other similar places, much better social atmosphere and more room for a personal life is the big one, the experience they look for will get you somewhere better honestly.

What do you think?

Can you explain this Debian and Solaris project?

>going to school for comp sci
Grow up and teach yourself.

I went to an on-site interview at Google, aced it and still got no offer. It's pretty much hopeless unless you're an SJW yourself.

If you want prestige and money look towards Wall St instead. Goldman Sachs > Google in every way.

When you get into Google find moot. Tell him user said he is a cuck.

But why Google? Many many other companies doing this never mind the fact that the small company part is bogus.

I'm asking earnestly and without prejudice - why Google?

>being a job at Google
I know this is your ultimate dream but humans cannot be jobs.

Honestly, because of the name. They built themselves up to a billion dollar industry and I don't see them decreasing in value anytime soon.

Be a stuck up faggot who's convinced himself to be smug after spending a quarter of their life grueling towards becoming an insignificant minion for the brain washing and herd watching monopolizing conglomerate that is the Google company. Extra points for Jewish appeal.

Yourself.

kill yourself

IBM, Microsoft, Yahoo! and others once were in that position also.

You don't want to work for Google. You should build something and sell it to Google.
And it doesn't seem to be to hard to scam them out of some millions in investment:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juicero

>work culture.
the work culture is to hype up the work culture

I have a degree, spend all my free time studying. Landed my dream job at a tech company where I get paid to constantly learn new technologies and push my knowledge and understanding. I get paid shit though.

My friend who didn't go to university just got a new job that starts on £100 grand a year. He is making 5 times what I did with no studying. Fuck google, fuck uni, get into business

You are going to have a bad time when you get there and the honeymoon phase wears off and you realize that for most people there it's just a job. Only a small subset are truly doing crazy innovative things.

t Amazon employee

>Any advice?
kys

Didn't know Amazon employees actually had time to do anything other than work. I don't like Amazon and have never and will never make a single purchase there.

hey OP. I live in Silicon Valley. I've worked for facebook, I have friends whove worked for Google, my girlfriend works for google, I've worked with contractors who've worked at google.

Your chances of being hired as a Full Time Google employee (vs being hired as a contractor through some third party vendor) are very slim unless you are in the top 99th percentile in all areas related to computer science (math, coding, people skills).

All the big tech giants out here only hire the best of the best of the literal best. Everyone else is brought on through some 3rd party vendor. Sure, you get to eat google food and work in their fun offices, but at the end of the day, like said, you are just a disposable number. They can lay you off at the drop of a hat and hire someone cheaper any day.

Im not saying dont go for it, im just saying if you have your heart set on getting a job at google, you need to be better than everyone else applying

>top 99th percentile in all areas related to computer science

Hey I have a question for you, I once interviewed at Google, get everything right, and got no offer.

By contrast, when I interviewed at a different company one of the Amazon-Facebook-Apple-Microsoft group, the person who interviewed me literally said, "Congratulations, I have never seen anyone solve the problems that fast before, when can you relocate"?

What in your view is the explanation for this?

Could have been your people skills.

Yes they want to hire smart people, but they also want to hire people they'll get along with. Perhaps you didnt articulate your thought process throughout the interview process.

Just a guess, but its impossible to tell. They have all these small cues they're supposed to watch for and its ridiculous that some of them will be deal breakers

Amazon.com is a money-loser for them, Amazon makes their money from AWS, so if you really want to hurt Amazon support Microsoft's Azure cloud platform since it's the only major competitor.

this

>Could have been your people skills.
Was I supposed to raise my right arm in the air and say "Heil Hitler"? If so I genuinely didn't know.

Theres a blog post every month on hacker news about someone interviewing at google, acing all the programming and vibing with the interviewers, only to get a rejection email

Their methods are insane at best and we'll never actually know what to do until a googler cracks and lets the world know

>going to school to get job at google?

Seriously you don't need to go to school all they teach is to waste time while you pretend to learn everything at once step by step. If you really wanted a job you better stick your butt scrolling fagoverflow.

No company hires every applicant that qualifies.

They look for "Googlyness", which is a subjective measure of your social skills, creativeness, and other random shit that you can't just "get right". Interviews are still random and depend on the interviewer though so maybe you just had shit luck.

>Seriously you don't need to go to school all they teach is to waste time while you pretend to learn everything at once step by step
Terrible advice, don't go to school if you've already been developing and actually have a job or started your own business and it's a literal distraction from your current objective. This advice only applies if you're at the top 0.1%, basically Bill Gates and Steve Jobs tier, and even they went to college for a brief period of time.

>a subjective measure of your social skills, creativeness, and other random shit that you can't just "get right"

I agree with this, but what I don't agree with is what you are implying that "subjective measure" really might be. Sure they want people who "do the right thing", but what is that "right thing" they are referring to?

It is no secret that Google is an SJW company, and if they let non-SJWs work on their search results, how are they going to pull off crap like this?

Never worked at google and don't really know anyone that has worked there but from what I have heard they take all the diversity BS to the max but then again nearly every big valley company does.

If you really wanted to join a big company right now then I would say the best place to go is probably Amazon.

>
>They pay better

Don't lie to the boy user. You'll have a very hard time finding a 'local business' that can pay more than the big shops (AMZN, FB, MSFT, APPL, GOOG) salaries + stocks. Especially once you factor in the value of their benefits.

A startup might offer better compensation if they actually breakout out and IPO for crazy dollars, but you'll work twice as hard for no liquid cash until then.

Mom and Pop will pay you less, accept that you're not as good, and care about you more.

>t.assblasted "self-taught" programmer

enjoy selling your soul for the devil faggot

Any more specifics on the SJW disease? I'm also considering working there too when I finish college.

Google is the best place to work to be honest. Everyone is so chill.

>t.landwhale with dyed hair and buttplug

>Working for people
START A STARTUP

It's my dream to do so

>my ultimate goal being a job at Google

Doing what? Or, you didn't think about that part?

>t.landwhale with dyed hair and buttplug
why bring your mum into this?

The SJW disease is all over silicon valley, ignore the people complaining about it being a specific problem at Google. It's just as bad at Facebook, Microsoft or Apple

>Top 99th percentile
I think most people would qualify user

>They pay better
LOL

Google pays fuckton of money to people with skills.

Ex.
Google team that work working on autonomous car had normal salary + bonuses for every milestone.
THey were so productive that after few years everybody had few mln $ from bonuses and that where they decided to quit google and start their own company.

Its ridiculous, but google was paying to much.

You can not expect small company to pay you big salary, where are they going to get money?

Just remember that google takes on hundreds of interns every semester from around the world and only keeps the ones it likes

Think of it as a 4 month job interview

What
Said is pretty accurate, Google are all about appearance, there's no real room for being outspoken, a friend of mine was given a Stern talking to by HR for mentioning Trump's wall in a 'non-serious fashion when it IS a serious issue' Google's HR is infested with college students on gender studies degrees, you can look up Google HR on LinkedIn and see.

There is another way, you have to become so good that they will fight for you to join them.

Well, at least you admit the only possible good thing about Google is the money, but I think there are more obvious places to go if that is what you are after.

Won't go into much detail but it was a big part of their database and heuristics system before they implemented more homebrew solutions (they're a big fan of everything being in-house except hardware for some reason) I helped a lot with testing and migrating before I was moved to emergency-only contact.

If you are top 0.1% that has brain smart enough to do something important, something that is going to change world then you have nice life.

But for 99% of people job is just a job. It may be fun at first, but after few years you will get used to it.

Majority of jobs in IT field are shit.

I am curious, could you post some examples of interesting job in IT related field?

Because for example, CERN and ESA pays much less money than google.

>publically funded nonprofit employers pay more than a top 5 global organization
HAHAHAHA
Nice joke buddy.

Working for low pay and doing amazing things is worse than working for high pay and doing meh things

t. Scientist now working for one of the big companies.

>thinking you'll be able to choose what to work on as a researcher
You are delusional.

This fucking oldfag nails it and answers the most brilliant, single-word post I have ever witnessed, and nobody fucking cares to reply.
While the jewgler posters spew their bullshit.

working at google sure is good

what is not so good is that huge chunk of their revenue comes from ad fraud

So what it's like to work for Amazon boi?

>Amazon.com is a money-loser for them

This makes no sense. That's the core bussines based on which Amazon started.

Why would you keep it if it's a money-loser.

>t. 8 year old with dyed hair and buttplug

Because Jeff Bezos is a piece of garbage and likes making others suffer

>work at well known but not super hyped tech company
>get nice benefits
>everyone is chill
>flexible work hours
Still want to jump to Google or similar to try and get mad cash though.

Because then they would just be IBM.

If I could choose I would rather work in Wall St. SV is full of delusional people who think trying to control the internet gives them power. Money is where the real power comes from.

Contracted employee for Google here. Google doesn't give a shit about you.

Yeap, showing people they should know better than to want to work there sure is virtuous of them.

Hope you like dick

Grow up, child. Style points butter no parsnips.

>aced it and still got no offer

You didn't ace shit you cocky mongrel

Hmm, you must be saying that computer scientists are wrong in the way they implement basic algorithms. What kind of a nigger are you?

Retail is their single largest profit center, but the cost of logistics is high. AWS has higher margins and it represents a disproportionate amount of profit but it doesn't come close to retail it's more like 30%.

Still a lot like working at the other big 4 in tech which is why I made the comparison. I can say after working there it's nothing like the new york times article.

Do you guys even get free food?

At AWS it's brilliant. I work on massive distributed systems alongside some people who worked at aol, Netscape, suse, and redhat in their prime. I learn tons everyday and I love it. Sometimes it's mundane but I've grown here more in a few years than at any other time in my life.

Hi,

we traced your post to your Google account via captcha.
We have put you on our blacklist since we do not hire people who post on racist cartoon boards, so maybe try your luck at Facebook?

Good luck and kind regards.

We get snacks and I have dinners expenses when I travel but no not really. They also bring fruit into the office for snacks as well.

On Wednesdays in my building there are waffles too..

You probably had your hand held by an interviewer the entire process of implementing a trivial warmup question.

As an MIT student currently interning at Google, you guys are fucking sad. Have fun working at Geek Squad.

I rather work for Toyota, get transferred to Toyota Japan, and get to enjoy being weeaboo.

t. Rajesh

>t.assblasted NEET
don't worry lad; as you are still a virgin, you are on track to becoming a wizard at age 30. maybe then you can use your powers to code something beyond "hello world" in a codecademy tutorial