/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/g/thread/S49808959
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/48969412/#48969412
rbt.asia/g/thread/48969412/#48969412
rbt.asia/g/thread/48653055/#48653055
pastebin.com/RxbRRjzY
ix.io/yUZ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for /flt/ was here since july 2015
gnu must fuck off

>the state of this general
generals were a mistake

> communist shirt
Come on OP, we know what happens when you try to use a political image for a general.

don't fork something that didn't need forking next time, jew-lover

Feel free to stay here when you're done with hatered and exclusion.

leave the thread unfriendly pol interloper

Linus writes beautiful code. He has published some side projects that he wrote all on his own and the code is just wonderful. He also lives in the real world while still maintaining his open source ideals and supporting himself through his work.

RMS is basically a homeless loser who hasn't made any real contributions in the last 20 years. He is still super butthurt that Linux beet HURD (but hey, HURD just got basic sound support in 2016!) and basically tries to claim Linux because Linus used GCC and the GNU coreutils. He survives on the charity of others and speaking engagements where he spouts his insane, paranoid, philosophy. Basically he won't be happy until all the programmers are homeless hackers like him and all the companies are shut down. How people are supposed to support themselves and their families in that scenario aren't things he has to deal with because he is basically a permanent grad student. He does make some good points about privacy, but for him, there is no middle ground. Anything that may reduce your privacy even the slightest bit (like movie recommendations on Netflix) is evil according to him, and must be destroyed. In a lot of ways he show classic signs of mental splitting, which is a classic symptom of mental illness. To top it off, when he does write code, he does so in the style of the awful GNU style guide which is a crime against humanity IMHO.

So, in a nutshell:
He's a bird-fucking, self-absorbed, power hungry, toe jam eating pedophile that thinks everything should be free and everyone should be forced to share, who looks like he hasn't showered in years so as to create a static shield around his body to protect from aliens. He also created an OS without a kernel because he's basically Steve Jobs gone communist. Oh, and he calls himself doctor though he holds no PhD.

Don't call it GNU/Linux. It gives Stallsham undue credit. He's done nothing but take credit for the work of others and has the audacity to call himself a Doctor when he couldn't even finish his Masters.

wrote emacs
Contributed to guy steele's TECO macros, later cloned gosmacs, the actual first emacs for UNIX. If stallman wrote emacs, apple is the sole creator of webkit.
wrote gcc and gdb
He wrote the C compiler initially, but the vast majority of development for other compilers and the C compiler has came from non-stallman sources.

And he hasn't programmed in years. Stallman is washed up, and his justifications for copyleft are horribly invalid nonsense that would make more sense if they were actual thinly veiled communism instead of selfish ramblings and a desire for a world that catered to his specific social class.

i don't your permission to be present on a tech board, you need our permission to discuss ideology here and you don't have it. therefore gtfo.

stallman is not a philosophically pure person. he follows his ideals when convenient, and ignores them or slightly alters them when the conflict isn't worth it.

stallman is an egoist in denial, afraid of admitting that he just wants some fucking source code instead of a world where he has to rely on other people because he knows he wouldn't get it that way.

his system has some practical merits but his attempts at creating moral justifications are completely pathetic and nonsensical. how low do you have to be to have to make up bullshit "oughts" when you can just say "it would be fucking better"?

It's time to face the facts. Richard Stallman is nothing more than a whining, overly obese autistic manbaby who has not done anything beneficial for the computing OR technology world in the past 20 years. Seriously. Name something that RMS has done after 1995 besides bitching, crying, and moaning about bullshit that does not matter, or making some retarded, incomprehensible speech.

He demands that Linux be called GNU/Linux. That is fucking insane. The only reason GNU, GPL, and FSF are still a THING is because of Linus and the invention of Linux. If anything, Stallman should rename GNU to Linux/GNU, because without Linus, the GNU, GPL, and FSF would not be a thing anymore.

Stallman still has the fucking gonads to act like he's superior to everyone else. Saying shit such as "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone" right after Steve Jobs' death. What an asshole. Stallman has not even programmed a single line of code since 2008, that was AFTER he essentially stopped in 1992.

He should be fucking grateful Linus stepped in to save his ass, and even allowing him to take partial credit for his achievements. If it wasn't for Linus, he would be nothing, he would probably be dead in a Burger King dumpster right now.

Besides, what has he ever even done? He claims to have written eMacs, but in reality he actually cloned gosmacs (the first eMacs that was made for UNIX). He didn't even write 50% of the code in eMacs.

You might say he wrote GCC and GDB, but the truth is that he initally wrote the C compiler, but now the vast majority for the same compiler is done by contributors.

He's a washed up, morbidly obese man who tries to stay relevant by having these retarded arguments that are similar to those found in the Soviet Union. Face it GNU/Freetards, Richard Stallman is a fat dickhead, and the only reason his name is still in the books is because of Linus's achievements.

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

It's time to face the facts. Richard Stallman is nothing more than a whining, overly obese autistic manbaby who has not done anything beneficial for the computing OR technology world in the past 20 years. Seriously. Name something that RMS has done after 1995 besides bitching, crying, and moaning about bullshit that does not matter, or making some retarded, incomprehensible speech.

He demands that Linux be called GNU/Linux. That is fucking insane. The only reason GNU, GPL, and FSF are still a THING is because of Linus and the invention of Linux. If anything, Stallman should rename GNU to Linux/GNU, because without Linus, the GNU, GPL, and FSF would not be a thing anymore.

Stallman still has the fucking gonads to act like he's superior to everyone else. Saying shit such as "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone" right after Steve Jobs' death. What an asshole. Stallman has not even programmed a single line of code since 2008, that was AFTER he essentially stopped in 1992.

He should be fucking grateful Linus stepped in to save his ass, and even allowing him to take partial credit for his achievements. If it wasn't for Linus, he would be nothing, he would probably be dead in a Burger King dumpster right now.

Besides, what has he ever even done? He claims to have written eMacs, but in reality he actually cloned gosmacs (the first eMacs that was made for UNIX). He didn't even write 50% of the code in eMacs.

You might say he wrote GCC and GDB, but the truth is that he initally wrote the C compiler, but now the vast majority for the same compiler is done by contributors.

He's a washed up, morbidly obese man who tries to stay relevant by having these retarded arguments that are similar to those found in the Soviet Union. Face it GNU/Freetards, Richard Stallman is a fat dickhead, and the only reason his name is still in the books is because of Linus's achievements

Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.

Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?

Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.

Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?

Don't call it GNU/Linux. It gives Stallsham undue credit. He's done nothing but take credit for the work of others and has the audacity to call himself a Doctor when he couldn't even finish his Masters.

wrote emacs
Contributed to guy steele's TECO macros, later cloned gosmacs, the actual first emacs for UNIX. If stallman wrote emacs, apple is the sole creator of webkit.
wrote gcc and gdb
He wrote the C compiler initially, but the vast majority of development for other compilers and the C compiler has came from non-stallman sources.

And he hasn't programmed in years. Stallman is washed up, and his justifications for copyleft are horribly invalid nonsense that would make more sense if they were actual thinly veiled communism instead of selfish ramblings and a desire for a world that catered to his specific social class.

link to the chat you people are coordinating in

this

>In some ways, Linux was the project that really made the split clear between what the FSF is pushing which is very different from what open source and Linux has always been about which is more of a technical superiority instead of a — this religious belief in freedom.

>There are 'extremists' in the free software world, but that's one major reason why I don't call what I do 'free software' any more. I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred.
>-- Linus Torvalds

wrote emacs
wrote gcc and gdb

Reminder: GNU and FSF exists because Richard "M" Stallman got a hissyfit at a printer being propriatary, yet printers are still propriatary. Richard Stallman has contributed literally nothing to the world.

Why so much hate tho. ;_; I thought this community is about friendship and sharing, not hate.

It's called 'we want Sup Forums to be a tech board, now gnu must fuck off'

Just installed Xubuntu
Recommend me apps and ricing tools!!
(mostly doing school work on this computer)

Nobody talk about gnu in a linux thread, OK?
No wait...that sounds pretty fucking retarded.
Nevermind.

because
FPBP

Here the usualy supects:
opebox, i3-gaps, bspwm, awesomewm, xmonad, dwm, polybar, lemonbar, urxvt, termite, rofi, dmenu, dmenu2, tint2. That's enough for now, gtfo.

What's retarded about that? The discussion of GNU is not relevant. Ideological discussion belongs on Sup Forums.
Let's be honest, you're not here to discuss anything tech-related, because you haven't done anything like that since you trash got here. I've been watching since you had the gall to post your first few threads. You've only ever talked about your GNU shit, not tech. Time to go back.

How long does following LFS and BLFS takel?

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

could reddit pls leave this thread?

>/flt/ has been here over 2 years.

warosu.org/g/thread/S49808959

It's right here, July 2015, first documented /flt/

Linus writes beautiful code. He has published some side projects that he wrote all on his own and the code is just wonderful. He also lives in the real world while still maintaining his open source ideals and supporting himself through his work.

RMS is basically a homeless loser who hasn't made any real contributions in the last 20 years. He is still super butthurt that Linux beet HURD (but hey, HURD just got basic sound support in 2016!) and basically tries to claim Linux because Linus used GCC and the GNU coreutils. He survives on the charity of others and speaking engagements where he spouts his insane, paranoid, philosophy. Basically he won't be happy until all the programmers are homeless hackers like him and all the companies are shut down. How people are supposed to support themselves and their families in that scenario aren't things he has to deal with because he is basically a permanent grad student. He does make some good points about privacy, but for him, there is no middle ground. Anything that may reduce your privacy even the slightest bit (like movie recommendations on Netflix) is evil according to him, and must be destroyed. In a lot of ways he show classic signs of mental splitting, which is a classic symptom of mental illness. To top it off, when he does write code, he does so in the style of the awful GNU style guide which is a crime against humanity IMHO.

So, in a nutshell:
He's a bird-fucking, self-absorbed, power hungry, toe jam eating pedophile that thinks everything should be free and everyone should be forced to share, who looks like he hasn't showered in years so as to create a static shield around his body to protect from aliens. He also created an OS without a kernel because he's basically Steve Jobs gone communist. Oh, and he calls himself doctor though he holds no PhD.

>people were believing in a flat earth before

kek. this is the one post I think they hate the most, because it's impossible for them to refute and so far I don't think I have seen one of them seriously try.
reddit is who comes here after we of Sup Forums create something and tries to take the credit, ergo you are the reddit ITT, read my comments above

>make your thread
>still come here and try to recruit others to go to it too or it will die

All your toe-jam memes woun't help you when you really get what you want: a spyware OS like Android for the desktop. Think about the price you pay when spreading your bullshit memes.

Yes people shouldn't sperg about gnu here. So stop it already. Anti gnu fags are just as bad as gnu fags.

Hey user, if you don't like the GNU system, uninstall it right now and fuck off.

I hope you feel bad every time you run "ls" on your "it's really Alpine LoL" system.

>typical Sup Forums scaremongering
>"let us do your thinking for you, goy"
>"hmm trust us you dumb fucks"
go the fuck back. your mask is slipping, kike shit.

You replied to the wrong post...

GNU is literally a movement to make you not have to rely on trusting anyone.

Are you retarded or something?

>Oh, and he calls himself doctor though he holds no PhD.
I didn't know that. I thought he had actually earned a doctorate somewhere along the way.

They just try to infect you with the poison called hate. Don't join the madness.

They spread bullcrap allover, spam this thread with bullcrap and tell newfriends that GNU / GPL is somehow a bad thing
People learn bullshit when we don't fix it

>GNU and FSF exists because Richard "M" Stallman got a hissyfit at a printer being propriatary,
Yep. It's funny to think that if Stallman had been given access to that printer driver's source, he might have just stayed wrapped up in his own little autistic world at MIT.

It's honorary.

It's called "bait", user. A classic troll concept.

stallman does weird shit and has weird views but how is that a reason to hate him

It depends on whether you make mistakes and how fast your CPU is. It ranges from several hours to days.

That's for LFS. You would likely not install every single package in BLFS. Getting X and a nice assortment of programs installed would take any where from several additional hours to days. Add more time if you want one of the heavyweight DEs like KDE or GNOME.

After that, you'll likely spend a significant amount of time making tweaks and doing configuration. Also things like tracking down firmware.

What's currently the best Arch-Installer for lazy people like me?

does anyone here use the suckless suite? I am trying to learn dwm/dmenu/st and it sure is hard

antergos is arch with an installer and a custom theme, not like manjaro which uses its own repos

There's arch-anywhere, which is really just an installer for Arch, but try installing it manually. It's not that hard. If you are new, it may take you 2 hours to a complete system with everything you like, without anything you dislike.

First ever Friendly Linux thread

Now that's been settled, you can go back to re dit or Sup Forums or whatever turd you crawled out from

maybe you should go back in time kiddo

>from the GNU project is born the GNU OS
>powers the vast majority of web servers on the planet

Stallman's done nothing!

O-Okay. Will you hold my hand?

I want my friendly thread back.
Wtf is this bullshit with 2 threads.

I would love to go back in time to when communism didn't exist yet.
Not gonna happen. These GNU cunts pulled one 'I'd like to interject' too many. Now they have to go back, we got pushed around way too long and stayed quiet, now it's time to hit these jewish communist bastards back to aushcwitz.

I hope you enjoy life in the early 1800's, user.

There's that Sup Forums phoneposter, online 24/7, and there was that one day when he went mad.
Look closly at the posts and you'll see the most le jews/gnu commies, etc shitposts are made by him.
>no spaces between interpunktion and new sentence

No reason not to. Probably a lot more pussy around then without all this feminist shit. And the jews were a homeless people as they should have remained, kicked out from one nation to the next. lol. Stallkike would have been my servant or something.

Seriously FLT guys.
You have your own thread.
Go there. Stay there.

,Im not a phoneposter,

The way to spot redditors is use of line-spacing.
Not a phoneposter btw.

Please just stay on your own containment general.

Well, then you're just too stupid to type. Anyway, it's easy to discover that the /flt/ thing is a one man army thing.

Could use some bumps here, guys.

>The way to spot redditors is use of line-spacing.
Why?

This is a fake thread a gnu poster has made.Old thead isnt at bump limit.
He is going to get people to post and then delete the thread "for teh epyc lulz".
FAKE THERAD DONT POST

You were able to read it,and thats really all that matters,you being anal about MUH GRAMMUAHS is irrelevent to me,if you really have that much time in your life to critque people on the interwebs,you must have one pathetic life

If you were forced into something by one too many interjections then isn't it ironic that you are doing the same shit now. Did you take a moment to think that maybe there was a better way to handle keeping ideological agendas out of tech threads than to start spamming your own ideology?

how do you manage everything when you have a tiling window manager? in xfce I just go to the settings manager, but in a tiling wm how do I set suspend on close and other things? include it all in the script you call with your wm.desktop exec line?

May I friendly ask /flt/ people to go back to their thread until they are done hating?

Go to your containment thread and stop bothering the grownups.

Stop making fake /flt threads and i will

Suspend in closer should be managed in /etc/acpi and by acpid
But yeah, you configure stuff from shell scripts.

>A lot more pussy around
Enjoy your syphilis and rapid demise

unironically kek'd irl

>I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred.
The irony.

so I should have the exec line call a script that starts the wm, sets the wallpaper with feh, enables right click on the touchpad, disables the touchscreen etc. all in one script?

fug meant to quote

Does anyone have the feh script that one user posted some weeks ago?

What exec line?

Ill post it in he /flt thread for you

well im using lightdm so the wm.desktop exec line but I guess in .xinitrc for most people

pastebin.com/RxbRRjzY

I saved it: ix.io/yUZ

99% of your settings will be in .config/i3/config or something like that. (I haven't used i3 in a while.) Google a good example template and you should be set.
lxappearance is the easy way to set your gtk theme window styles and such.

How in the world do you get audio working with nvidia cards? I used to use amd but then switched to nvidia, hadn't used my TV then but now with nvidia I dont get any audio. Aplay shows nothing nvidia lspci shows the nvidia audio though at least
I've
>modprobbed snd_hda_codec_hdmi specificying vendor and product
>blacklisted intel audio shit
>disabled integrated audio as I use a soundcard anyways
>disabled integrated intel gpu
>disabled iommu
and still nothing

every solution I've found is either they're an idiot and had it available under aplay just not selected or one of the above "solutions" that i've tried

I feel like I'm going crazy

meh
Thx, thats the one I lost.

Install pulseaudio.Not meming its perfect for things like this

Oh dear, I remember that script. Helped that other user who made it with a snippet.
>tfw there was a time when we all just were friends
Good times.

still are, just in a hiatus for however long it takes for that one dude to get bored.

Its more then just me.Check the post counts, multiple posts within seconds of each other :^)

forgot to mention, tried that too, doesn't show up either

Did you configure alsa to look to pulse in your .asoundrc?