In your opinion Sup Forums, which browser was more important in uncucking us from the IE monopoly?

In your opinion Sup Forums, which browser was more important in uncucking us from the IE monopoly?
Firefox or Chrome?

www.strawpoll.me/13637131

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6QdSLeQ0494
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

firefox

only underage would thank chrome

Firefox

>chrome even being an option

you're either retarded, 15, or most likely, both

Well, Chrome was the one that did manage to surpass IE. Firefox was never close to IE.

Opera and Firefox were tremendous.
But then Chrome came in and became IE

You can't compare them. Firefox led the fight for an open internet not dominated by Microsoft's designs. Things probably would've been fine if ActiveX and Silverlight predominated since Microsoft has never held back on features that make Windows the best OS in the world, but HTML5 is probably better. Firefox was just enough resistance to get Microsoft to largely abandon its attempt to move forward on its own.

Chrome didn't have anything to do with that since it came so much later. It's gained and is now in a stronger monopoly position than IE ever was just because it's so much better than any of the alternatives. Chrome didn't save us from IE/Edge, it will be Edge that saves us from Chrome.

>underage
Even though Chrome is relatively recent, it is the browser that actually got a majority of the normies to switch from IE/Safari. Also don't pretend that Firefox wasn't just as shitty as IE back then.

Firefox surpassed IE

When?

Never, that user was lying.

Not in market share.
Firefox was never so monumentally better than IE to be an instant switch. It was always only incremental and came with its own issues. (like a memory leak for the better part of a decade.) Most people don't use extensions,
tabs took a while to catch on, and by the time they did IE had them too.
Back in the day I could switch between IE and Firefox without issue. I could never leave Chrome now.

Neither, you have the EU to thank for IE's monopoly being broken. Even at it's absolute peak FF only had 30% of the market as opposed to IE's 50%+

That was one of the dumbest rulings in the history of mankind and had nothing to do with anything, as Chrome proved. Firefox cried, "We can't compete because they're bundling IE," and Chrome proved that that's no hurdle at all if your product is actually better.

But Chrome isn't better than Firefox at all.

Chrome is only installed because google bundled it with their website

>bundled it with their website
and with other popular software

Please.

You believe that if Chrome was worse than IE that everyone would've switched merely because they saw it on Google?
Chrome won because of word-of-mouth advertising. Google being willing to promote it only solidified it.

>Please.
What does Chrome do better than Firefox, then ?
Spoilers: Nothing.

I prefer firefox but it was definitely chrome, normies used IE until chrome came out

Not that guy, but it's significantly faster. I was using FF until I realized how much slower it was and then couldn't deal with it anymore.

>word-of-mouth advertising
>not ass-to-mouth advertising
youtube.com/watch?v=6QdSLeQ0494

Why is Chrome an option? They weren't even in the game for a long time. I thought this board was 18+....

Firefox beated the shit out of IE back then, just like Opera did

They also bundled it with unpopular software
Google literally had adverts for Chrome in public television in fucking Mexico and other third world countries

This statement hasn't been true for quite some time. It used to be that way, but now not so much.
With Firefox 57 it's the other way around entirely.

It doesn't show me advertisements on the "New Tab" page.

Oh sorry, did I say advertisments? I meant "Recommended links by Pocketâ„¢".

Neither does Firefox. It shows me my most visited sites.

>It used to be that way
It only was true for a short time before Chrome ate all the RAM, when Firefox had the worst convergence of memory leaks and IonMonkey hadn't been introduced
Then it only became true for sites with so much fucking JS they would load an entire physical core on a i7, so multiprocess was needed to have more than one or two sites open at once

Chrome was faster than FF.
Chrome had more screen real estate than FF.
Chrome had god-tier tabs on top.
Chorme had the omnibox.
Chrome was more stable than FF.
Chrome removed backspace for back.

FF has caught up to Chrome in a few areas, but "it's equal in some while still worse in others" doesn't come out to a win in anyone other than a freetards book.

>Chrome was faster than FF.
Only for a short time and only on benchmarks
>Chrome had more screen real estate than FF.
Yeah, by removing features like the bookmarks tab which could be removed with little to no effort on FF
>Chrome had god-tier tabs on top.
This is at best a subjective preference
>Chorme had the omnibox.
Still trash, and FF could do the same with little tweaking
>Chrome was more stable than FF.
This was true only for long sessions where the memory leaks on FF where notable, and before Chrome became ridiculously bloated memory-wise
>Chrome removed backspace for back.
How is this anything good? Also, this happened recently

wow I wonder, is it the one that has lost marketshare since IE 9 and has been around for 20 years, or the one with the gross majority and is known by name even by ultra normies.

Gotta be firefox, it's the non-botnet open source one after all.

>this much apologizing for a shitty browser
Get a life.

> no option to turn pocket links off

this is what you get for using nightly. fucking thanks, mozilla.

I can't decide if I should point out the irony in your post or the autism in your person. I need some time to think, I'll get back to you.

>go to about:config
>find extensions.pocket.enabled
>change it to false

This. What a hypocrite.

You're attempting to wish Firefox's flaws away. That's not the same as pointing out that Chrome doesn't have them.

>qB stalls. uTorrent doesn't.
>"B...but you shouldn't be torrenting because stealing is bad so qB is just as good as uTorrent!"

Firefox did the uncucking. Chrome just befitted from it. Hell, it's possibly going to be the one that cucks us again.

The browser wasn't necessarily better, but your windows machine stopped having quite so many problems. With IE you had to figure out what problem your machine had almost on a weekly basis. The popups would pile on sometimes you'd have to force a shutdown and then run chkdsk and then repair your os. Remember the xp repair feature on the install cd. Something the win7 doesn't have btw. Opera was a step up in that it worked better than FF but didn't have near the plugins and features but was better on the machines of the day. I use linux for browsing and it's a giant step up from windows no matter what browser I use.

opera

No, you idiot. I'm saying telling people to get a life for doing something you literally just did is a prime sign of autism. Thanks for helping me decide.

pocket isn't forked out?

I pointed out the flaws in a product. You spend all day apologizing for a product you've built your identity around. These are not the same thing.

"The iPhone has bad reception," is not the same as the response of, "You're holding it wrong."

Firefox, the fuck?

Chrome wasn't barely a thing until like, 2012.

You are joking, right? IE is dead and burried

>still a larger market share than firefox

Firefox is lightning fast in beta 55 and nightly 57 and stable will also be much faster when stable 55 comes out in a few days.