Linux is better for programmi-

*blocks your path*

Other urls found in this thread:

kfunk.org/2016/08/23/whats-new-in-kdevelop-5-0/
github.com/EnterpriseQualityCoding/FizzBuzzEnterpriseEdition
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

just wait until you're writing 'enterprise' C# and visual studio takes 10 minutes to open your solution :^)

how about i use whatever environment i like most fuckwit

>just wait until you're writing 'enterprise' C# and visual studio takes 10 minutes to open your solution :^)

>be comp sci student
>force to use visual studio '17 (GB RAM required) because the TA is fucking lazy.
>go to shit lab to work on shit assignment.
>get shitphone timer out
>start visual studio and timer
>wait
>wait
>wait
>wait
>finally
>it took 5 fucking minutes just to start

why?

intellij btfo this bloated freemium garbage

>start up vs and project
>takes a minute at most
does everyone else have like 512mb ram and a 300rpm drive or some shit i dont fucking get it
this is just a ~$600 laptop too

>Compiles your binaries with spyware.

The factor you aren't considering is the ratio of functionality to resource usage.

Some programs are inevitably huge, i.e. 3D games with high quality graphics. But VS is just a glorified text editor for morons.

>Have dell precision 7510 with 16gb of ram, i7, and Samsung ssd
>visual studio still takes forever to load the solution, and will sometimes stop working when you try to do something

It's the slowest fucking thing ever. We have probably 140+ projects, which is why it crawls to a halt, but this is the major reason for the complaints. If you use it for a single project, yeah it works fine, but give it like 10 or 20 and you'll start to see it choke. It's especially ironic because code lens is a big problem performance wise, but damn is it useful.

Windows is vastly unfit for development

>not using MacOS for programming
kek

People program on Linux? Lol using what, gEdit or some other garbage?

VS is good for developing and debugging things, not for shipping things.
Even if there is no actual spyware and shit, the MSVC compiler is simply no match for the GCC, so you always make your release build with GCC.

No with Neo-vim, Spacemacs, Kdevelop, Builder, etc...

>2017
>using soldered dongletops

>Taking online basic programming class in highschool
>Working with visual basic
>Have to install Visual Studio 2017 on my computer and laptop because school computers are pieces of shit
>Install it on my main rig (quad core intel xeon 3 GHZ, hyperthreading, 15 gigs of ram, windows 7 64 bit)
>Boot it up for the first time
>Takes an eternity to boot
>This behemoth of a program brings my rig to a crawl
>Finally start to code basic program to select an item from a list
>Compile the program
>Takes an eternity to compile
Why is Microsoft shit?

ng

>using visual basic
>using a visual basic newer than 6.0

A non-starter of an argument, considering VS is available for Linux too.

>Linux is better

>autotools

Yeah, nah.

>working on comp sci c++ assignment
>dl school provided msvs
>takes 5 min to boot
>make shitty vector class
>hangs on compile
>gives me shitty error
>spend 15 min trying to figure out what went wrong
>question my abilities
>oops forgot "using namespace std"
>submit file
>"we only accept plain text files, 0/10"

i now know why everyone thinks this degree is a meme

>"using namespace std"
get banned

kek

>when the course-supplied solutions file that you HAVE TO WORK OFF OF AND SUBMIT THE ENTIRE ZIPPED THING OR YOU WILL GET A ZERO was creating using VS2015 but your DreamSpark Microshit supplied copy is VS2017 so you have to delve into the solutions file like a fucking IT janitor and change the string to 2017 but you forget to change it back to 2015 before turning it in and prof gives you a 0/25 for the assignment because he "couldn't open it"

>tfw using glorious KDevelop with Clang-based syntax highlighting and diagnostics
Fuck your bloated shit.

>a minute at most
vim can open up a project with thousands of files with tens of millions of lines instantly.

Hello Radhika (look at upper right corner)

nice

>SHILL IN LOO

I see no problem.
>Clang-based syntax highlighting
What?

>vim with syntastic on most of the screen with i3
>terminal for file browsing/grepping tiled on the left
>fuzzy find
>quickfix
>quick tag jumping
>terminal for compilation tiled below
>other marginal shit on adjacent workspaces
>layout saved on i3 config
Maybe it's because I've never worked on a really big project, but why would this be insufficient for anyone? What do IDEs have that it doesn't? Class map shit?

emacs or vim

kfunk.org/2016/08/23/whats-new-in-kdevelop-5-0/

>C++
if I could I would also block your compilation. it's 2017 use C# faggot

i work on 2 projects using vim, one is 100k and the other 60k LoC
dunno if that counts as "big"

it doesn't just block my path, it's so fucking bloated that it blocks all pipelines

how is that a windows issue? you are using a piece of shit third party antivirus of course it is going to cause problems.

Works fine on my dankpad X250 and integrates nicely in the dev- and publish workflow with MS SQL server, ASP.NET, and generating MSI or ClickOnce files.
Considering that MSSQL, IIS and VS are standard tools at my workplace, I've been able to pick the best of those and skip the trash by using Yarn/Rollup+Mithril for JS/views (Razor is nice and all, but too much of a pain for dynamic websites). ASP.NET MVC for backend stuff is pretty nice and MSSQL is goat.

He is also using a piece of shit OS that's so insecure by design that it needs taxing real time system monitoring to not get cucked by random malware searching an open port.

why do you have so many projects open
clean up your workspace pajeet. Create working sets at least. Ask you Scummaster for help.

>autotools
We have better tools on Linux. Try CMake.

Won't touch that POS again. F# is better, but for wageslave java is the king.

>intellij
>russian software
shygddty

crying about autotools is the ultimate plebspotter

>cmake
>good

Anyone except pajeets pooing c++/.net crap are using this shit? The jetbrains makes best IDEs. They're especially good for my two favorites - Scala and Clojure because of excellent jvm infrastructure support. And there are Emacs with some modes for anything else(shell scripting, sometimes frontend for my pet projects, shit like Haskell (which I'm learning now), etc)

>jetbrains makes best IDE
CLion was recommended for our comp sci assignments in C/C++
Certainly better experience than VS, but damn it's still slow. And default will only open one project at a time for some weird reason.
Was much more convenient to just hack the few hundred required lines together in any old syntax-highlighting text editor with tabs.

>Few hundred lines of code
Now write my something more complex than your fizzbuzz using only editor.

>few hundred lines of fizzbuzz
github.com/EnterpriseQualityCoding/FizzBuzzEnterpriseEdition

No, it's not.

C# is slower than Java

What kind of a brain-dead fucktard would even think of calling C# an alternative to C++ under any case?
I guess it shows the averrage IQ level of dumb microcuck brainlets

you can use simple makefiles if you want

bloated, uselss without resharper and other tools.
I've spent half my life in vs. Glad I'm done with it and also c# is dead now. That's basically your (((visual basic))) now. It was fun while it lasted

it is bloated and use far to much resources
Everything is made in wpf and c#, it has been ince 2008

It don't remember how 2005 and 03 was to be honest with you, vs6 was a lot slicker most people stuck with it for ages. That and I had so many tools from a places I worked like devpartner studio and so which made vs top notch back then

Clion is fucking great btw, I use it
likewise you got pycharm for python that's also pretty nice. It's made by the resharper people

Because you go to a shit uni.

when you get to your masters vs is going down the drain btw. We used it, or could use it at bachelor too. Later you are going to work with ml and need a lot of clusteing so then it becomes rather usesless, so does (((windows))). Get to your PhD windows shit in general ... well you don't even hear about it anymore

microsofts stuff is for pajeets and code monkeys

solution with 200 projects, takes about 20 seconds VS2017

you can run jetbrains rider on linux and do dotnet core programming. it's better than visual studio.

you are full of shit or there is something wrong with your computer. I use VS2017 at work on a large solution and it performs ok (with resharper also).

c# and java are languages, which implementation are you using? what OS? what kind of process are you running? A long running server requires different optimisations than simple console apps. perhaps you should get better at programming before you say silly things.

VS pales in comparison to any Jetbrains IDE.

You've clearly never worked a day in your life. You'll be using whatever IDE and tools your company tells you to use.

not him, but in my company some people use Eclipse, some use IntelliJ. There is no hard rule which IDE to use.

imma good boi
imma good programmer boi
imma do apps on proprietary app boi
imma no good apper programmer boi if u take away my proprietary app boi
oh boi imma no good boi piece of shit boi apper programmer boi if u take it away
mabby imma no good programmer boi
mabby imma sucky curry ass programmer app boi

Here are the things you can't do in a second that I can do in less than a second.

>ctrl+.
>extract a set of code into a function.
>extract a class into a separate file.
>automatically fill out includes

>ctrl+r+r
>intelligently rename variable and types without stupid fuzzy shit, actually rename references to that specific variable

Anyone who thinks vim is a visual studio replacement is fucking stupid especially for C++ and C#. If you use python, javascript or some other meme language than you will be fine being retarded.

Intellij Idea works everywhere though

>hi guys i owned a workstation while i was still in high school. please like and subscribe XDDDDD

Found the pajjet.