Your opinions?

your opinions?

>C++
i'm not a game developer;

>javascript
literally why ever write javascript directly when there's better languages to transpile from?

>java
JVM is my waifu; Java isn't;

>php
i don't work at facebook;

>ruby
i'm older than 20;

>perl
i'm younger than 40;

>lisp
lisp isn't a weapon; it's a class of weapon;

>visual basic
i'm older than 12;

>haskell
i'm employed;

>python
never needed it;

>C
i have release cycles shorter than 2 years.

bump

everything but pascal and visual basic have a strong community and are used today for some field where the language shines

Nice blog post my friend.

this
the OP image is actually quite accurate. every single utensil has a purpose that can't (or can, but inefficiently) be filled by another. C++ being the jack of all trades and master of none is especially apt.

>C++
dead language nobody uses in real life
>java/C#
basically all you need, you can easily get a job only knowing one of them
>ruby
you have to be at least 18 to post here
>perl
76ruty[p;oweq4op[ihgtfdrk09poiwer54 look ma no hands!
>visual basic
was actually good for prototyping graphical programs but we have better stuff now, like Python
>python
awesome prototyping tool and it may get you a job as some companies use it in production. it's also super easy to learn and use
>javascript
basic web development, also it's slowly getting popular for desktop applications
>PHP
if you like being laughed at
>lisp
yay kawaii Emacs config kys
>haskell
we had a FP course in it and it was pretty fun. otherwise literally useless
>C
pretty much the same as C++ except actually usable for programs more complex than Hello World

reddit-tier commentary.

I forgot Pascal
everybody forgets it

Haskell > Lisp > Perl > bay area "let's start a startup" tech

>C++
Use a restricted subset of it at work (embedded stuff). Templates and compile time expressions are useful.

>javascript
Don't have a use case for it.

>java/c#
Use c# for writting tools.

>php
Horrible.

>ruby
Like it more than python as a language, but the implementations are worse.

>perl
Don't have a use case for it.

>lisp
I've only used it in toy programs.

>visual basic
Horrible.

>haskell
Learning it right now for fun.

>python
Use it at work for scripting. Don't like it.

>C
The core of our software is written in it. I like the fact that it's a simple language where everything is obvious at first glance.

Sticking to a single language is dumb.
Use what is best in each scenario.
XML is the only scenario where I would use a dumb as bricks language to create something that was never intended to be used for anything just because there is so many tools for it these days

>C++
Cancer language, cancer programmers who think they are superior for using it

>javascript
Got-tier. Language of the future. Node.js is comfy as fuck. lots of libraries and frameworks.
syntax itself needs improvement tho.

>java
Love it. Because of this language I began to love programming.

>php
Looks disgusting, old sites with security problems are written in it

>ruby
Looks very interesting, want to learn it in the future.

>perl
Dead language, but was good once.

>lisp
Stallman-tier Autism
>visual basic
Dead language and microsoft shit.

>haskell
Stallman-tier Autism on steroids.

>python
Good for some things, bad for others. overall a decent language. Bad ecosystem and packaging. too much hipster gimmick features.
Was my first language and almost made me hate programming because of too much abstractions. I wouldn't recommend it to beginners.

>C
You can't really be a super-programmer without knowing at least in theory how C works. I want to learn it in the future when I have time.

The analogies are shit.
>perl
Literally called the Swiss Army Chainsaw. Should be in the bottom left.
>python
Should be a small, sharp kitchen knife.
>ruby
The katana. Only appealing to sheltered idiots because it breaks in half if you do anything demanding with it.
>Haskell
A drafting table.
>Lisp
A multimachine. Ugly, loud and potentially dangerous, but you can do basically anything without wasting time and resources.
>Javascript
A box of ammunition with bullets shaped like knives.
>PHP
A utility knife with a dildo for a handle. The blade only extends if you put the handle in your ass.
>Visual Basic
The disposable plastic knife.
>Java/C#
The Ruby hand tool, but the blade is made of plastic.

>>lisp
>Stallman-tier Autism

How can you unironically like Javascript, but not the language that does what Javascript tries to do, but far better?

Yet nobody I know uses Lisp, while nearly everyone uses JavaScript everywhere I see

Bandwagon effect.

>C++
overused and overshilled meme
>javascript
If you want a job as frontend slave
>java/C#
If you want a job as backend slave
>php
Collateral damage of being a frontend/backend slave on an old company
>ruby
meme
>perl
old meme
>lisp
meme
>visual basic
Collateral damage of being a frontend/backend slave on a VERY old company
>haskell
lol
>python
overused meme
>C
If you want a job as low-level integration slave

You just memed on 3/4 of the available paradigms. What do you work in, Prolog? Erlang?

ASM (AutiSM)

I think you got C and C++ mixed up here

> CPP
Pretty nice compared to c.

> javascript
k

> java, c#
nope

> python
amazing

> tfw no assembly

Where is C#

There's nothing dumber than these language wars. Why does Sup Forums have to take a contrarian approach towards everything? It's retarded

>C++
No longer relevant since D, Go and Rust do it better and kids these days don't go in for unsafe languages
>javascript
love to hate it, loathe the modern node js ecosystem, typescript is the way to go, and only if it *needs* to run in a browser
>java
I use it and keep up-to-date on it because muh jobs but it's never my first choice for any problem
>php
I'd rather be homeless, thanks
>ruby
I don't have an earring, macbook, or starbucks drink, so I don't have ruby code either
>perl
Supplanted by too many languages to list
>lisp
Useful because everyone should read SICP. Never used it beyond that.
>visual basic
I learned to program in TI-Basic, does that count? No?
>haskell
Amazing, wonderful, and supremely useless language.
>python
Feels like home, the primary language that I think in, can always express what I want in a reasonable and readable fashion. My first choice for nearly any project, so long as performance isn't too important
>C
Learned it to understand how a computer works, never used it since.

Nim is nice

Pascal > everything else

>Lisp
The best language to learn how to program with.

>C++
If for no other reasons than safely interacting with legacy codebases and making learning Java/C# easier.

>Javascript/Python
You can learn them in about a month max if you already know how to program.

That's it, really, learning the other languages is totally optional unless your job specifically lists them as a requirement because you'll be using them daily.

My opinion is - Java very good. Do not needed anything else yet - Java can do it all. There is almost no reason to use other language than Java.

Sup Forums = faggots or helpful people. Literally no in between

you guys have no understanding of what C++ is if this is all you have to say for it. i don't even understand why you participate in these threads.

>>php
>I'd rather be homeless, thanks
>>ruby
>I don't have an earring, macbook, or starbucks drink, so I don't have ruby code either

Lmao

Educate me please

>C++
Nice program. It works just like you said it would.

>javascript
but I don't want to be tracked

>java
but this app lags like shit, it could be 100s of times faster

>php
Well, at least it works, right?

>ruby
But why?

>perl
B-but wh-why?

>lisp
We conjure the spirits of the computer with our spells

>visual basic
You need to stop destroying computers

>haskell
Why?

>python
It's a nice program, user, but there are a few bugs.

>C
Can I suck your dick?

I use C++ regularly and think it's a fine language that's often maligned and definitely SHOULD be learned if for no other reason than interacting with the huge amount of codebases that use it or the languages it inspired. That doesn't mean I think those are the ONLY reasons it should be learned.

>literally why ever write javascript directly when there's better languages to transpile from?

Clearly there are no better languages on your list. Javascript is one of those situations where
>it's not that Javascript is that good, it's that everything else is THAT BAD

Pascal is strong in Russia because of Delphi-

Layman terms please

reddit-tier post.

>all these shit analogies based on second hand memes from people who SUCKED at programming
Wew lads. Wanna bet that half the people ITT only know Java is shit because their Minecraft runs slowly (not even Java's fault but the fault of a shit Engine from Mojang).

What is the software equivalent of a tree that needs to be cut down?

>C++
Too complicated that it wouldn't be needed for any task.

>Javascript
A fine programming language for doing anything as long as you stay in the lines.

>Java/C#
Both pretty useless but Java is better than C#.

>PHP
Useless.

>Ruby
Useless.

>Pascal
Okay but pretty much useless in the current year.

>Perl
Same as pascal.

>Visual basic
Pretty cool for beginners and all around decent, the only problem being its run by microsoft.

>Haskell
Completely Useless.

>Python
Good for beginners but Javascript does everything about it better and more effective.

>C
An amazing programming language albeit slightly outdated.

>>perl
>i'm younger than 40;
Most of the Perl users I know who are not European are older than 40 (besides me)

I'm in biology so Perl was popular with the older generation. Apparently European biologists still use Perl.

Today most biologists use Python and I use both

>literally why ever write javascript directly when there's better languages to transpile from?
Because it adds an annoying step and will inevitably cause some problem at some point, like any source-to-source compiler does.
The only valid scenario for a source-to-source compiler is porting legacy code.

> C++
Useful and fast, but rather bland.

> JavaScript
There's a reason there's so many compiles-to-JS languages. An incredibly inconsistent and poorly-designed language, which is a shame because it's pretty powerful.

> Java
Worth knowing for the sheer number of jobs, and good as a first language. The JVM is really powerful, but there are better languages for it than Java

> PHP
I first tried to learn to program with PHP and almost changed my major.

> Ruby
If Perl, Smalltalk, and Scheme had a love-child, it would be Ruby. Beautiful and underrated language, though it can be slow.

> Perl
People love to hate on Perl, but Perl effectively created the languages that are slowly replacing it.

> Lisp
A fantastic family of languages with a fragmented, oddball community (read SICP!1!). Clojure is really worth learning.

> Visual Basic
At this point it's just dumbed down C#.

> Haskell
More hip and less practical than Lisp, but equally interesting.

> Python
The design is pretty bad, but it has enough great libraries to make up for it. It's easy and useful enough that there's no reason not to learn it.

> C
The syntax would fit on an index card, but of all the languages here C is the hardest to write well. Programmers should ideally be able to read it fluently.

Try to write a supercomputer particle simulation, a machine learning algorithm, or a high-frequency trading program with JS and then come back to tell us all those languages are easy or useless.
Also server-side JS is worse cancer than PHP.

>C++
Robust and has libraries for everything under the sun, which is why I use it.
>javascript
not a webdev, don't care
>java
It's just bad C++
>php
not a webdev, don't care
>ruby
Were it not for the community, I would say it's slightly better Python
>perl
outmoded
>LISP
I'm not RMS
>visual basic
I learned how to program in the modern era
>Haskell
I'm not a mathematician
>Python
Acceptable for automating things, but as far as writing real software goes it's a poor choice.
>C
Only reason to use it over C++ is either if performance is absolutely critical, or you're maintaining something written in it.

What I'm really learning from this thread is that I wouldn't hire anybody who visits Sup Forums.

>C++ is bad but C is paramount to being a super programmer
You are the worst type of stupid.

> JVM is my waifu; Java isn't

Have you tried Kotlin?

>>perl
>76ruty[p;oweq4op[ihgtfdrk09poiwer54 look ma no hands!
This is what normies actually believe...

The OP pic is slanderous towards pascal.
Pascal and python should be switched around.

What does Sup Forums think of Oberon?

C is the best programming language. Only Pajeets will say otherwise.

>>python
>never needed it;

>C++
absolute clusterfuck with 20 guns aimed at your foot at all times
>javascript
works for its purpose--SIMPLE frontend interaction. needs to stay where it belongs.
>java
bad C# but more portable, OO cancer
>C#
better java, but still OO cancer
>php
fucking joke language but still used all over the web for some retarded reason
>ruby
failed attempt at making a normie-friendly Perl--just use Perl
>perl
Perl 6 is beautiful, Perl x | x lisp
(((((welcome(((to(((paren)))))hell)))))))
>visual basic
maybe if your company has legacy code. move that shit to something else
>haskell
interesting but useless for real applications
>python
cancerous syntax conventions, inconsistencies all over, __double_underscore_names__, slow as hell, only used b/c >muh libraries
>C
still the best language in its problem space, but could use some tweaks for convenience

>Python
>Never needed it

There is your problem.

>python
>awesome
>fun
>javascript
>basic web
>C/C++
>dead
What's it like being 16?

What tools would Go and Rust be?

>Liking javascript

You must be new here.

rad af man

>C++
Never used it, looks ugly as hell
>JavaScript
Glue language that gets used in hammer-and-nail situations.
>Java
Only good because of portability.
>C#
Java without all the awful parts
>PHP
PCP
>Ruby
My preferred scripting language because it's easy to write like python but doesnt have stupid as fuck whitespace rules.
Also lots of lambda functions.
>Perl
I like it, but its arcane as hell.
>Lisp
))))))))))))
>Visual Basic
Good to know for jobs, lot of legacy shit uses it
>Haskell
Meme language
>Python
If you use it for any kind of actual programming, you're a fucking retard.
If you use it to do basic automated tasks or are a non-programmer who needs to crunch numbers, sure. Good library support.
>C
Most satisfying language to write in, long development times.

>Go
Ask the retards over /nrg/ who lost a weeb goldmine to a tranny using python.

>Go
Meme language with actual potential

>Rust
Meme language that started out already in the grave

>biologists
>programming

Why isn't Rust being mentioned here?

Isn't it developed by SJWs?

>C++
The language for any kind of power application. I've used it quite often, though not as much recently in my career. I've primarily worked with C++ in three ways: embedded C++, QT, and graphics programming. The language is radically different in each of these. It can be a nasty language from time to time if you're not careful, but it gets the job done better than most.

>JavaScript
I can't stand this pile of puke, but it's one of my most used languages out of necessity. I've written frontend JavaScript, Chrome extensions, Node, and even that poor Johnny5 bullshit for Arduinos. Quite literally any language that transpiles into JavaScript is better than it.

>Java
Haven't touched since college.

>PHP
Super shitty, though I'm not sure if JS is worse or not. I've only recently started working with PHP professionally due to unfortunately needing to fix bugs in an older codebase. I cannot stand its lack of consistency. One thing I do like is that unlike literally any other web stack, PHP has a hilariously simple solution to concurrency.

>Ruby
We hired one of those hackathon nubs last year around this time, before we realized we made a terrible mistake. He only knew RoR. I think Ruby and RoR are fine, and I can see the appeal, but it's left a bad taste in my mouth ever since we hired (then fired) that idiot.

>perl
Played with it in college once after seeing it was a core dependency for the Linux kernel. Never really touched it afterwords.

>Lisp
Never touched it after SICP.

>VB
Only used it once when I was a kid.

>Haskell
Messed with it when a read "learn you a haskell" but other than that never really did anything with it.

>Python
My general purpose scripting language. I've never actually built big apps in Python, but I've used for countless little scripts here and there, both as utilities to bigger projects, and independently.

>C
Used to be my primary language during my embedded systems days, still use it here and there for the occasional project.

Rust is the future, old man.

> python
> decent language

>javascript
>muh future

So if PHP is shit, Python is shit, and JS is shit, what language do you use to make a web site that's more than just static HTML?

CSS

C++ is the English of programming languages

>C/C++/C#/Java/Fortran/F#
Collectively form the backbone of the industry. If you work with these languages, you have the greatest chance of actually being an asset to the sector you work in and society at large.

>JS/Ruby
Webdev. Needs to be contained in Webdev. Should not be compared to the above in terms of utility.

>Perl/Python
Somewhere between the categories mentioned above. Really good complement to the first category.

>PHP/Pascal
Legacy languages, the latter more-so than the former.

>Haskell/Lisp/FP languages besides F#
Entirely academic, not very practical. Good sources of inspiration for continued development of languages in the first category.

>Go/D/Rust/other supposed successors to C/C++
Only Go has a future out of them all. Useful, if only because they provide good ideas to include in future standards of the first category.

test

JavaScript is fine if used as intended, for light front-end dynamics.
It shouldn't be used to generate the entire fucking page and it REALLY shouldn't be used for backend.

It's a glue language. You can't build something quality out of nothing but elmers glue.

reread my post.