Tfw there is no communist totalitarian regime that forces me to work in a job and have a regular life saving me from...

>tfw there is no communist totalitarian regime that forces me to work in a job and have a regular life saving me from the anxiety of free choice and all the paralization that it gives to me

im increasingly starting to feel this. choice and infinite life avenues have paralyzed me

I thought I was alone

no way man. there's no manual for this life and that's great for some people. some people have had good influences in their lives and have been given directions to go in. for me no one has helped with this. none of my weakass plans have worked out, and no one cares.

Sometimes I get the feeling people like the three of us would be best described as aristotles "naturally born slaves".

i know this feel

I actually know this feel all to well. Everything was good and structured until I was done with high school, and now I've spent one year studying engineering, one year dicking around and one year studying medicine.
I don't know what to do. Do I continue studying medicine and eventually getting a safe job, or do I travel to a new city to study engineering?
I like cars a lot, and I would love to play a part in developing them. But becoming a doctor is safe, I have lots of family members who are doctors, I have friends in this city. My family is close. But I've never really wanted to be a doctor.
Why is there no totalitarian regime that determines what I'm most suited to do and assigns me to an education and a job when I'm done? I have too many options to know what to do with. What if I make a wrong choice? Then I'm responsible for having fucked my life up.

I agree 100% with this

If you were in the US I'd say stick with engi because that's safer and more applicable but if you think med school is safer for your future just do that my man

In Norway, engineering is not super safe anymore because the oil industry is fucked, but I wouldn't mind leaving the country.
But medicine is a profession, so once you're done you're qualified to work as a doctor. If you've studied engineering, it doesn't seem like you're guaranteed a specific job in the same way.
And the population is getting older, so doctors will always be in demand... and unlike in the US, we don't really have to deal with lawsuits and lawsuit insurance. But working hours are horrible and the pay is pretty bad.
There are pros and cons to both choices, really. I'd have to start over with engineering though. But the education is one year shorter, so both choices mean five more years of education.
I don't know. This choice has been bothering me for a year. I was reluctant even when I started studying medicine. I just did it because it seemed like a safe choice.

heh, no wonder Europe is going to shit so fast

Ive felt this way too.

What i wish for is a base line situation where the state feeds and houses you and assigns you a task all with out you having to worry about it. People with ambition can do what they currently do and try to figure it all out on their own, but people who just want to get by with out being useless can just be told what to do.

We could be all colonizing Mars now comrades.

Such a loss, I hope based Putin figures this shit out.

You donkey. Just join the military already. Alternatively, commit a fraud and get jailed.

Dude that's boring, not what I would expect from an American.

The state should set standards and provide a mission, a great mission, not shooting sandniggers in a desert. Remember Heinlein and Bradbury.

The worlds too big now. Ambition is for those who are already near the top.

If we counted ourselves by the hundreds or thousands still it would be different, but we count by tens and hundreds of millions now. You can spend your entire life trying to improve your status, or you can just escape into alternate worlds and try to keep your body going in the real one.

So, permahookup to VR and doing your requisite 1km per day on the treadmill generator to get your ration of slurm?
What if you made it your ambition to invent this?

I really really like this picture

>Putin
>based
Stop proxying Jimmy

For the record, 1 km is a basic warmup, gets you warm and not too sweaty and your legs are not tired so you can squat all you like.

I don't think VR (displays to your eyes and some sort of feedback suits) is going to take off, much less get people so busy with games that they don't care for real life.

I'd rather wait for neurointerfaces, but given today's circumstances with ads and tracking I wouldn't connect my brain to the interwebs or to any computer at all.

On the other hand you have text, and it's quite efficient. Text and usability. That's what gets me to talk to strangers using a *chan client instead of sleeping. Text is easy to serve, you don't need to wear a bucket on your head and a wetsuit, you look at a screen like ten times less than that of your TV and it's still pretty addictive. Gets you to waste your brain cycles to do something you don't really need or rather something you don't get any benefit from, easy. We need Mr. Gibson (or rather Bruce Sterling, he's better with strange but believable concepts while Gibson is better with really cool details) to write a dystopian novel on THAT.

>We need Mr. Gibson
Hello

That is my name

Which Gibson are you actually referring to?

It is a very common surname.

Does public transportation work well where you live Bernard? Had any riots in your city lately?

Well we're discussing dystopias and not guitar making, so the multitude of relevant Gibsons looks rather small to me mr. Gibson.

this thread really makes you think

i agree with the statement about ambition, it's only for the top 10%. even if youre close-ish to the top you gotta do everything right, work yourself into the ground and kiss ass to "make" it, losing yourself and time you'll never get back in the process.
top knotch bantz Evgeny

Name's Roman. Thanks dude, trying my best.

The problem is not with us being hundred thousands man, the problem is with us caring about 'improving our status'.

What the fuck is this, are we born to do this, are we wired to do this?

Did we ditch USSR for a picket fence? Fuck no, we wanted to be Easy Rider or the Terminator, you had a monopoly for that dream and you tossed it for gender studies and political correctness and student loans, gee.