/pcbg/ - pc building general - lilly tech tips edition

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Vega soon.

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/XZ6Zbj
pcpartpicker.com/list/3vRdQV
pcpartpicker.com/list/D8HTkT
pcpartpicker.com/list/hrYKtJ
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/xNXqZ8
pcpartpicker.com/product/Vpdqqs/nzxt-case-cas340ww1
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/pXd2sJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/kNTWQV
pcper.com/news/Memory/AMD-Will-Sell-Wraith-Max-CPU-Cooler-Separately
youtube.com/watch?v=qrnkbmabK4U&t=0s
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/gqJQHN
youtube.com/watch?v=JI2vcvhhVb4
pcpartpicker.com/list/xsQs3F
dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/STRIX_B350-F_GAMING/ROG_STRIX_B350-F_GAMING_Memory_QVL_20170519.pdf?_ga=2.205582353.329936003.1496830631-1995554391.1496830631
wccftech.com/amd-wraith-cooler-hyper-212-evo/
relaxedtech.com/reviews/amd/wraith-max-and-wraith-spire-cooler/2
pcpartpicker.com/list/DJBtD8
pcpartpicker.com/list/WzJQHN
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Anyone know of any good 1080p monitors for about $150 CAD ($120 USD)

pcpartpicker.com/list/XZ6Zbj

this look alright?

Its fine but I would get 3200 for your ram since its ryzen don't make the same mistake I made :(

Are you sure you want that case?

If I take a 4-pin fan (salvaged from an old CPU cooler) and run it on a 3-pin connector as a standard case fan, will that cause any issues?

4th pin is the PWM signal. It works on a 3 pin header, but speed regulation and RPM range may be limited

all fine. You might wanna go with higher clocked RAM from the QVL. Also a 450W PSU would be more than enough, don't know what you plan for the future though.

having a really hard time finding a 16GB set that's on my mobo's QVL

was probably going to put it on my desk, also it's my first build and that case looked easy to work with - why?

Get a dual fan 1060.

the extra pin controls speed
plugging it into a three pin connector should just run it full-tilt all the time

I was wondering if this is a good pc build because I'm pretty new to pc building

pcpartpicker.com/list/3vRdQV

I have a 2500k and r9 390/144hz monitor. whats the best card i can get for 450 usd to play on 144hz 1080 please.

thanks - I couldn't find a 3200ghz from my QVL in 16gb, but found 3000ghz - swapped the card too.

pcpartpicker.com/list/D8HTkT

GTX 1070 or a GTX 1080 on sale

>pcpartpicker.com/list/D8HTkT
looks good

a 1070

thank you sopa

It's just it's an unconventional case. Lot of the alleged advantages just aren't there. And it has a large footprint

Most modern cases are easy to build in. Check out the Fractal Define C or NZXT S340 (elite or non-elite). Both are inexpensive and ompact

Is that Linus? Dude really let himself go.

Would it be a smart decision to get a ryzen r3 1200 now and a ryzen 2 2600 next year? And what board would best support ryzen 2 for about $100? I'm currently thinking about getting the MSI b350 pc mate, but I'm not sure about how well it's supported and all.

Get it now, AM4 is a long term plataform

>No RGB LED strips
>new to pc building
Yeah, it shows

How's this build?
pcpartpicker.com/list/hrYKtJ

Honestly, I'm a noob to all this and I feel like I'm overspending just a bit. I've been playing games on low-mid settings for about 8 years now (on a 32bit laptop nonetheless, specs are in pic related), so I don't really care about graphics all that much. I just want something that will run games I like (Crusader Kings II, HOI4, EU4, Total War Games) at a respectable pace, and maybe some games that my current rig can't run (Xenoverse 2, Mafia III, Fallout 4, Witcher 3)

take a look at that link.

>i5 7600K
go for an R3 1600 instead. Also a GTX 960 with two fans

Gotcha. Thanks for the recs. I'll go do that now!

Whats teh difference between founders and partner cards

Thought you had the same build as me. Okay, I'm gonna break your build down.

An i5-7600k usually isn't worth it unless it's on sale, I'd suggest a 7700k or a Ryzen instead. A 1600 would probably be good for your price range.
Good amount of RAM, 16gb is the optimal amount.
I'd really suggest getting a Caviar Blue HDD and some form of SSD, for your operating system or some games. It really is worth it, the first time you use an SSD for a boot drive you will be shocked at how fast it is compared to an HDD.
a 3GB GPU is a really bad choice. A few years ago, before games like GTA V came out, a 2gb 960 was considered the sweet spot for 1080p gaming. But now adays, games can use up to 4gb of VRAM or more. A 2 fan GPU would be important, but prioritize 6gb over 2 fans.
The case isn't the best good looking one, but I suppose it's fine.
If this is your first build, then it would be a good idea to get a Semi / Fully Modular PSU. I, an experienced PC builder, still have trouble managing cables and it will save you a lot of hassle if you get a modular PSU.

AM4 is a fresh socket, can't imagine it's going anywhere for a while

Get the AMD R5 1600 instead of that i5.

Get a two fan version of the 1060.
If you plan on getting more demanding games, or at higher resolutions consider the 6GB version.

Get a Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB HDD instead for $12 more.
Get an SSD of at least 120GB.

I personally don't like the looks of that case, but to each it's own.

Attention AMD fags
AMD has announced they will now sell the Wraith Max cooler separately due to demand. The cooler will retail for $59, 140 TDP of heat dissipation, and native support for AM4, AM3/AM3+, and FM2 sockets.

Would any of you be interested in a more practical poorfag PC building review thinger?

I am planning to build this:
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/xNXqZ8
What do you think?

Thanks guys!

If it isnt much, what do you guys think of this case?
pcpartpicker.com/product/Vpdqqs/nzxt-case-cas340ww1
The glass window looks really cool

It's one of the most beloved cases on the market.

Pretty good case. Splerg for an elite model if you can, but if you can't that's fine.

>Wraith Max cooler separately due to demand
WTF, I must admit the spire cooler is pretty nice though.

looks good, but you need a graphics card. Ryzen doesn't have integrated graphics

I hear lots of good things about the Spire, but how is the Max?

previously, only OEMs had access to the Wraith Max cooler as it was only available for prebuillt systems.

The Spire everyone raves about has 95W TDP of heat dissipation. With 140W of heat dissipation, you could safely do a 4.0 Ghz overclock on a Wraith Max.

Great choice. There's a slightly more expensive version called S340 Elite, whose window is larger and made from actual glass, in addition to some small quality of life improvements. Check that one out as well

What the fuck is up with these monolith cases? Why aren't 5.25" drive bays a thing anymore? Why are you all falling for the digital-only trap?

I mean, fuck. I'm just waiting for the next revolutionary thing to happen where it's just a solid-sided cube with no USB ports or ports of any kind. And it just saddles into a magneto-power array instead of having a power cord. And is entirely reliant on bluetooth. Because why not go full fucking retard at this point?

awfully big for a "low-profile" cooler though

Okay, thanks. Any input on motherboard choice?

anything but ASRock

I might be retarded but does this mean they won't come in the box anymore, or just that they sell them apart from the normal cpu+cooler?

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/pXd2sJ

I'm concerned that the video card won't be good enough. I'd like to play some vidya on it (Doom, maybe Nier), and have some plans of using it to play around with machine learning algorithms.

Also I have some ancient ATX case, any easy way to tell if it will be compatible? I can just buy one if it's not.

meaning that you can ALSO buy the Max separately
all the coolers that currently come with the various Ryzen processors should still continue to be included

Find your case in the list and add it to the build, it will tell you if shit fits.

A RX550 is still much better than integrated graphics right?

Hey Sup Forums, does this build look alright to you guys?

pcpartpicker.com/list/kNTWQV

I'm not very experienced with computer building, but I asked my brother and another friend for help and they seemed to like it. I really don't want to go above $1100-$1130 and I also don't really care about playing the latest AAA title on hyper-realistic graphics. I'm just trying to build something that'll last for a decent amount of time.

>orange case

((((((((citation needed))))))))

The Wraith Stealth comes with the Ryzen 3's and the Ryzen 5 1400.
The Wraith Spire comes with the Ryzen 1500X, 1600, and Ryzen 7 1700.
The Ryzen 5 1600X, Ryzen 7 1700X and 1800X didn't come with a cooler.
The Wraith Max never came with any processor available to the public.
People wanted an AMD branded cooler capable of handling a 4.0 Ghz overclock, which the Max can comfortable do. AMD said they wouldn't sell the Max because their research showed people often replaced stock coolers with aftermarket coolers, so why bother on the high end processors?
But backlash and demand is so stong, they're now offering the Wraith Max to consumers, separate from processors. The Max still doesn't come with any processor, but you can now get it at least.

pcper.com/news/Memory/AMD-Will-Sell-Wraith-Max-CPU-Cooler-Separately
youtube.com/watch?v=qrnkbmabK4U&t=0s

I can't seem to find a serial number but I doubt the website would have it, I'm talking a beige case circa 2004.

Anyway I won't worry about the case for now - if it fits, it fits.

How important is it that my RAM is at the max speed of my mobo? I could get something much cheaper if it doesn't make too big of a difference.

Faster ram translates directly into higher performance on Ryzen chips, so 3200 is good.

Ah, just saw what >61769140 said. I didn't know it was pre-built only.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. Though why not sell it separately in the first place, it's extra revenue afterall.

A 750W PSU is somewhat overkill, getting a network adapter that supports 802.11ac might be better if you want higher wifi speeds(if you really can't use ethernet) and as the op says, lower than $30 coolers are not really worth it over stock coolers. Also, think about getting an SSD.

by a large margin

Anyone have any clue when AMD's new desktop APUs could be on their way, think OEMs will get them exclusively for 6 months like they had for Bristol Ridge?

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/gqJQHN

Changed the GPU, added storage. This is getting to be a bit over budget so I might get cheapo ram for the time being, and replace it with what I have listed here sometime later.

Thoughts?

someone really needs to make a pc building simulator with up to date hardware
maybe even include things like desks and chairs

another wrench thrown in the works by amd
thanks you pajeet fucks

h-hi lain

this is a really good shoop, right?

Linustechtips is now a QT anime girl. deal with it

If you use that old case your front audio won't work, your front USB will be USB 2 or worse, you might have trouble with cooling, and you won't have dedicated SSD mounting spots (but can just put them anywhere really with double sided tape)

not a shoop. That was from an actual review.
youtube.com/watch?v=JI2vcvhhVb4

if I max all my available fans and the temps don't change, could that mean my ambient temps are shit?

maaay be

>60$ aftermarket stock cooler for cpus people have already bought and cooled in other ways

Who the fuck is the target audience of this?

depends on your fans/fan setup

If your ambient temperature is more than 25 °C it means your ambient temperature is shit

people who want a good cooler capable of a maximum overclock, without looking hideous through the case window? It's also relatively low profile so it would allow good overclocking in a small form factor build.

$60 seems a bit too high
Expect a price drop once the fanboys have finished buying in

What should i replace next Sup Forums?
Here's my current build: pcpartpicker.com/list/xsQs3F
I'm thinking of getting into streaming soon, so content creation will be light to moderate.
And to add a bit of information to the part picker; I have a 1080p 144Hz monitor.

can't do much in florida

it's also RGB, which seems to be all the rage suddenly

get moar ram at higher speeds

Front ports aren't too big of an issue for me. but the SSD could pose a problem. It's a big case (about 40x42x19 cm), so odds are I could make it work somehow.

Fanboys.

make sure that the RAM is on the QVL. Also check if there isn't a 3000MHz kit in the QVL for 130 bucks.

l-lain

>$60

Fuck off. There are way better coolers at that price point.

It's RGB
It will support a 4.0 Ghz overclock safely
It's RGB
It's AMD branded
It's RGB
At that price point, you'd be hard pressed to get more performance/looks even consifering the Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi

never mind the vidya, when will RAM/SSD prices go back to normal

when miners fuck off and GPU prices return to normal

A 212 evo can literally do all of that for a 3rd of the price. This cooler should be $30 max and even then it's still pushing it. Currytech tested it against a 212 evo iirc and the evo was actually the better cooler by a few °C. The only thing it has going for it is the AMD branding and the slightly lower profile compared to coolers with similar performance.

>just want to buy some 8gb ddr3 sticks since 2x4gb isn't working well anymore and mobo only has two slots
>100 dollars for old ram
what the fuck

iirc cryptos have a limited lifespan otherwise they wouldnt be scarce
ether is dying soon so there was a mining craze for it
some youtubers who mine said it should go back to normal at the end of the summer or end of the year at most

Just add 20 something more and you can get NH-D15 which will BTFO that thing.

link?
also, 212 EVO doesn't do RGB, even if it is mostly a flashy gimmick

Ah, thanks, did not think to check that.
It looks like none of the 3200 variants from TEAM are listed on the QVL, but the cheap RAM I chose is listed. It is supposedly compatible with 3200, so I wonder if the list I've found is wrong.

Here is the list:
dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/STRIX_B350-F_GAMING/ROG_STRIX_B350-F_GAMING_Memory_QVL_20170519.pdf?_ga=2.205582353.329936003.1496830631-1995554391.1496830631

when exactly will they no longer include the stock coolers with the non X ryzens?

The 212 has a version which comes with a red LED but even then if you want rgb you can pick up a 212 +rgb fan which will still come out cheaper than the wraith max.

wccftech.com/amd-wraith-cooler-hyper-212-evo/

relaxedtech.com/reviews/amd/wraith-max-and-wraith-spire-cooler/2

Here's a screenshot of the wraith spire in comparison to the 212 evo as well

pcpartpicker.com/list/DJBtD8 waiting for Vega, how's it look, I want to play Destiny 2.

tbf I don't think the Wraith Max is the same as the original Wraith, even RGB aside

$60 really is too high though

a single vega wont handle that monitor well
either:
>get 2 vegas
>get a 60hz monitor
>get a 1080p monitor

pcpartpicker.com/list/WzJQHN is this a nice 1080p, 144hz, freesync monitor?

>outperformed by a fucking $20 cooler

I need a cheap router. What's a good cheap router?