Does anyone else on Sup Forums have a massive fear that one of their surge protectors will catch fire and rek all their...

Does anyone else on Sup Forums have a massive fear that one of their surge protectors will catch fire and rek all their stuff when they are away or asleep? Should I wrap all my strips in tinfoil for fire containment?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/GHz-Ground-Block-Frequency-approved/dp/B06XDX5PNN/
youtube.com/watch?v=F1YKxZevMtc
youtube.com/watch?v=UEfP1OKKz_Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't buy chinkshit and it should be fine unless it gets rekt by lightning.

Nope. I have a decent one and it is inside an old computer case so nothing would happen.

>third world problems

buy an ACTUAL surge protector and not just a power strip.

Maybe you need to pray more often

Call Geek Squad.

All MOV based surge protectors wear down and eventually explode and/or catch fire or trip a thermal fuse (but those cost millions of pennies for millions of devices that could rather go to the CEO).

But that is an actual surge protector

Hello GS here

so the moral of the story is gas discharge tubes?

Don't have your machine on when you're away or sleeping. If it's not drawing current it won't have any surging to suppress other than lightning but then you'd likely have other problems too.

that looks tasty

Turn off your computer when you go to sleep, numbskull.

learn to wattage/amp measure
calculate max load, use proper wiring and breakers
its easy

But seeding is caring.

Why not unplug it when you're sleeping if you're worried?

Buy a UPS, I am going to buy one because there was a lightning strike that fucked somethings up in my house.
Broke my living room smart TV. (Fried all 4 HDMI ports)
Broke my uncles TV
Comcast service for a few days
Messed up a HDMI port in the family room TV
And blew a few things on the outdoor patio A/C.
We have breakers and surge protectors, but some damage could have been because of Comcast boxes.

Tripplite isnt chinkshit.

Or just use PDUs which wont allow you to turn on things if they overload them, and which you can script to turn off things if a overload occurs.

>not having a seedbox
what a pleb

don't buy burgershit.

Burgershit is fine, pic related.

Who are you??

The autist who has unnecessary amounts of stuff at home like APC data center management software

Yeah I've seen a lot of your posts.

No. I try to buy decent protectors and have insurance for it.

But my home connection is fast enough.

>UPS
>On a A/C unit

It doesn't work that way. You'll need something like a generator with 12kVA+ peak power to start an A/C.

>Broke my living room smart TV. (Fried all 4 HDMI ports)
>Broke my uncles TV
>Comcast service for a few days
>Messed up a HDMI port in the family room TV
>We have breakers and surge protectors, but some damage could have been because of Comcast boxes.

Sounds like the surge came in from the coaxial cable and jumped across the cable boxes to the hdmi ports. Get a high frequency surge protector on the cable near where it enters your house and ground it straight down:
amazon.com/GHz-Ground-Block-Frequency-approved/dp/B06XDX5PNN/

Don't use the shitty ones on most UPS.

>It doesn't work that way. You'll need something like a generator with 12kVA+ peak power to start an A/C.
No you dont

They only pay for what's connected to it. They don't pay if your house burns down.

>when the tripple lite turns into the tripple ripple

No because I don't live in the US.

then don't plug in 2 space heaters at the same time

The only safe way to protect your shit is to use series mode surge suppressors.

>Going to plug an air conditioner into a UPS
dumbass

No dude, it's a regular house A/C. It blew a fan relay and some fuses.

But yes seems like it did run through the coxial cable. The A/C, and TV were not because of that, it didn't even trigger the breaker.

Breakers don't work that way.

They prevent an overload, like a short or something pulling way too many amps.

Not from surges

Rental insurance will cover whatever you negotiated when you signed. Mine was about $20k in any damages. Homeowners insurance will cover fire damage.

If you're really that paranoid just unplug it while it's not in use. It's not like you do anything important with what's connected to it otherwise you'd have a proper surge protector that you're confident enough in to leave plugged in.

And whats wrong with that

Technically ACFI breakers can help

Right, we need to install a protector. I am still gonna get a UPS for my main system/setup. It's what I care about the most.

>ACFI
AFCI

>GDT

Too slow.

according to bigclive, the part of the circuit that does the surge-protecting does inevitably burn up eventually. just use a normal power strip.

Just get metal body surge protectors. They only cost like $30. Just watch out for ones with plastic insert bottoms.

But it's not even well done.

It can happen even if they're not overloaded. You really should replace your surge strips once ever 1-2 years.

I've got to justify my 1gbps internet connection somehow.

a little, one of those things that sometimes keeps me awake a night - but there is only so much you can worry

Are you also afraid of picking up a strip and electrocuting yourself?

youtube.com/watch?v=F1YKxZevMtc

buy a surge protector from a company that will stand by their product and reimburse you for damages caused by failure.

buy a psu that will protect your shit in the event of fuck up.

If you are really paranoid, condom the surge protector with a second one.

>Condom your surge protector with a second one

Whoa

>If you are really paranoid, condom the surge protector with a second one.

Didn't your nun ever teach you that double condoming doesn't work.

looks closer to a power strip than a actual surge protector desu

You can see the 'protection active' neon light in Power Strips only fail by making poor contact to the connectors which cause high resistance at the plug and build up of heat that will eventually melt it.

Literally what multi-tier protection is all about. A well protected home would have surge protection at the breaker box (and/or power meter) protecting against outside surges and taking some of the edge off lightning. Then you would have a surge protector at the outlet (10m+ away from the breaker) protecting from lower power but frequent surges caused by large inductive loads shutting off around your house. Finally, your UPS deals with under-voltage, flicker, and power outages keeping your PC nice and comfy.

>keeping your PC nice and comfy

Don't forget a dog and blinds to keep the hackers away.

ITT: shitty american electronics

How is your shithole's better?

so what they are saying is you *can* daisy chain surge protectors except only the final surge protector can have electronics plugged into it.

our infrastructure isnt shit and our things dont melt or blow up

>use metal body surge protector
>get electrocuted because those chinks didn't ground or insulate it properly
>get burnt to death because it got super hot and started a fire on your manufactured wood furniture

What, you don't use Auto Catch Fire Interconnects?

Reminder to replace your surgery protectors every year or so and after major storms that include multiple power outages.

Surge protectors are only rated to protect for so long and after so much so if you're using a 5 year old surge protector, it's basically placebo.

obviously from this thread electricity is too dangerous to be allowed in the home

>our infrastructure isnt shit and our things dont melt or blow up
We have some of the best infrastructure available. It is still possible that a lamp has a power source that catches fire eventually. Not so much if it is turned off though.

youtube.com/watch?v=UEfP1OKKz_Q

owned

>fearing the unknown
I do not

>Living in a palce where private people have to own surge protectors
The US is indeed the 3rd world

You need that shit in british plugs because your infrastructure is absolutely horrible.

Best ones are schuko actually.

I have this fear too, it's made worse that I've got 3 terrariums all with multiple heating element in my room along with my PC and other shit.
Im sure if a fire marshall came into my room he would have a fit.

>hurr durr all of this is unique to le british genius design
Holy shit, what a fucking delusional and uneducated faggot autist.

>le british
the fuck is this tagalog bullshit

british plug is overdesigned

grounded schuko with shutters and indentation is pretty good.
older sockets can be pretty bad though (not grounded, no shutters, etc).

Plugs without grounding are not a complete disaster for appliances that should not really need grounding like lamps.

>Does anyone else on Sup Forums have a massive fear that one of their surge protectors will catch fire and rek all their stuff when they are away or asleep?
*sees pic*
Now I do. Thanks a lot. >:[

Built in China

Fuck you yank and you're shitty plug design

Don't you have a goddamn fusebox or something?

>tfw insurance and backups in secure location

Not really. Pic related.

I just unplug everything when I'm sleeping or away.

>unless it gets rekt by lightning.
The whole point of a surge protector is to prevent that.

>american infrastructure
why do your appliances explode when there's lightning?

Just use a power center like me, they're cute!

What did that box ever do to you that it deserves to be covered in that much faggotry?

>power center
Holy shit, my dad had one of these, shit was pretty convenient back then.

surge protectors are pointless for home use

Be 3 dollarydoos at the local goodwill.

I had one of these in my room as a kid. What was the point again? Just seems like additional hassle wiring everything in.

All of my devices can be turned off with those switches on the front. If my desktop goes thermonuclear, all I have to do is flick the switch and there won't be power going to it.

APC or CyberPower for PSUs?

>PSU
UPS*

everything is chinkshit

I liked them because they made it super easy to turn off rarely used shit like printers so that they weren't sitting there draining 10W of pawer all day, every day.

What they are saying is they have no idea how anything works so don't try anything. Just another reason to never use anything made by Belkin.

>our infrastructure isnt shit

Do you have electric motors in your house? Garage door openers, swamp pumps, AC, refrigerators, microwaves, bathroom ventilators, vacuum cleaners, fans, etc can all produce local surges that damage your electronics over time. 90+% of surges come from within your own home.

I've got an APC and it's worked really well for me for over a year now.
Would recommend.

>>get electrocuted because those chinks didn't ground or insulate it properly
>>get burnt to death because it got super hot and started a fire on your manufactured wood furniture

What are GFI