Firefox 55 is available now, only two more left till webextensions are mandatory

Firefox 55 is available now, only two more left till webextensions are mandatory.
archive.is/65BcU

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/65BcU
dailystormer.com/the-obsession-with-archive-is-links-is-out-of-control/
addons.mozilla.org
archive.is/47GUQ
ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/55.0/
github.com/gorhill/uMatrix/releases
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

> 2 more let till everyone left switches to chrome
FIFY

Will they touch the mobile version sometime

Why?

>firefox
who

What do you mean?

Will it get an overhaul
It isnt really nice right now

Using it right now, it's fine.

>on nightly
>greasemonkey does not work
>posting without Sup Forums X
>no more legacy captcha
>have to botnet help
KILL ME

What's wrong with it?

Enable legacy captcha under settings

Violentmonkey

2 more until i switch to waterfox

Chrome outperforms it and looks better

Is the startup times any better now?

pulseaudio is required since 54, so I've finally decided to drop it completely.

can someone please spoonfeed me on the whats actually happening and why are they doing this? I know most addons will be incompatible with the new versions but why? is it really necessary? what the fuck are they thinking?
ADDONS were the one thing keeping me "stuck" to firefox (and commodity)

> not using Mozilla ESR

You plebians

>only two more left until the only option for an extensible browser is Pale fucking Moon of all things

Because they fell for "muh speed" meme without realizing anyone who had ADD and cares about millisecond loading times is already using Chrome

I was willing to put up with the fact that it was extra slow because of the addons. I guess you are right, they are retarded

There are various reasons:
>XUL Extensions can modify and read whatever Firefox can
>XUL Extensions can execute commands and programs in your PC. So they can literally rm -rf /home/user/*, download malicious scripts, etc.
Web Extensions don't have all those features, they're sandboxed and can be denied permission to access parts of the browser/PC.
>XUL Extensions interfere with multi process
An extensive rewrite is necessary to make sure addons will work with multiprocess, which would ultimately break most of them anyway.
Web Extensions in FF aren't the same as in Chrome and Edge, though. Mozilla has added several features, but porting extensions should be easy enough.
>modifications to the browser can break XUL Extensions
Which is why every major browser update broke extensions. It's too much work for both Mozilla and extension developers to make sure every single extension work with every single Firefox update.
This is specially true now, since Mozilla is going to make several major overhauls to FF including the rendering engine.

To summarize: XUL Extensions are not portable, they must be changed to allow the browser to adopt new features and overhauls, creating a new, specific, API makes no sense since the browser has already few users and XUL Extensions may make the browser work maliciously without the user's knowledge.
The only protection users have right now against malicious extensions is that now FF won't allow users to install extensions not signed by Mozilla (a decision that was also criticized a lot here), but that means Mozilla has to review every single extension anyway and that is a lot of time and effort wasted by both Mozilla and extension developers.

Even that too will eventually be "upgraded" past the point of usability. Just on a much sower time scale.

When is the redesign hitting? F57?

>muh security meme
t. retard

Because if you're going to use a locked down browser with no customisation, you may as well use the best one.

So the main problem is that the addons programmers consider it takes too much time (understandably so) to write the code again to work with web extensions?

apulse firefox

>1691 tabs

What the fuck

Had no idea that existed, thanks!

If I expand all images in a thread with 4chanx and the thread dies how do I save images from the thread with alt+click? I would do this a lot with chrome but I just tried it with firefox and ended up with a bunch of broken images.

"save images" extension

But without the abilities that allow XUL extensions to contain malware, you lose legitimate features-rich extensions like Classic Theme Restorer, Tree Style Tabs, download managers, etc. As a browser ENTIRELY dependent on extensibility to be good, cutting that is pants on head retarded.

Does Decentraleyes even work as a Web Extension?

>Not already using based 57
best browser still today

Which addons stopped working? Umatrix is broken atm, right?

No. uMatrix works.

>IMPORTANT: This add-on will stop working November 2017 when Firefox 57 is released due to legacy add-ons being replaced by WebExtension add-ons in Firefox!

I think ill just go back to chrome

57 can't come fast enough, shit is good.

>57 can't come fast enough, shit is good.
This.

The only reason I'm not using nightly is because many webextensions aren't working properly.

True

Doesn't work for me. Shows all kind of sites but not actually the site I'm on.

CTR no longer working means I'm gonna have to get used to the newer ui now damn. I mean can we still somewhat customize it even if it's not completely overhauling it with an addon.

userChrome.css will still work at least for a while. I'm sure that by the time they retire that too, there'll be other options for customization.

Though I must say, it wasn't as hard as I expected to drop CTR completely. It is a nice addon, but ultimately it's not as essential as it seems. Firefox 57 looks rather nice OOTB.

install pale moon

No more classic theme restorer? Practically Chrome at that point.

At least it still lets me bring back the file/edit/view menu right? I'm a weird oldfag that still like having that there even if it's not always used screw burger menus.

RIP SJWfox

Yes, it does. Some addons don't work (like Self-Destructing Cookies) but have replacements.
The idea that "every add-on will stop working" is retarded. Most addons are available on Chrome and can therefore be ported. The ones that explicitly change the browser's GUI and/or execute programs in your PC won't work, though.

That would look nice without all the artifacts.

When will 57 be released? I'm thinking of switching to it.

Why does it turn off ublock when I drag a tab out to another window?

where is a replacement for Self-Destructing Cookies, and is there multiple?

wtf is this white space when you have firefox not maximized?

Only one of my plugins has converted from being legacy and that is ForecastFox. I hope more soon get the ball rolling since this shit's not far away from 57. I mean I know some of them like CTR will be gone gone but stuff like noscript and ublock origin should be along pretty soon right? The more popular stuff?

>archive.is/65BcU
>One more step
>Please complete the security check to access archive.is
Why the fuck would you link this shitty cancerous site?

dailystormer.com/the-obsession-with-archive-is-links-is-out-of-control/

wait, how do i even check if something is a webextension

i have an addon that tells me whether something is compatible with multiprocess, is that it

No. Webextensions will marked as "compatible with Firefox 57+" on addons.mozilla.org

Please, how to get Firefox 55?

They still haven't even implemented vital webExtensions features

Mods

>dailystormer.com/the-obsession-with-archive-is-links-is-out-of-control/
>It's a jewish conspiracy;

Bitch, i use it to check neo-marxist shit like TVP as they slowly die.

This.

Yeah right, that's insane, I only have like 500 tabs opened right now.

If anything they should have done it much sooner; they tried to delay the inevitable the longest they could to appease a vocal minority of faggots, and the performance of the browser suffered as a result for far too long.

>dailystormer.com/the-obsession-with-archive-is-links-is-out-of-control/

archive.is/47GUQ

No one cares what some manlet with yellow fever thinks.

Why do you need more than 10 open

To not forget to do or read some stuffs, that you never read or do when there is nothing else to do.

If you don't want to wait till tomorrow, then click on the following link.
ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/55.0/

It's 2017 and there's literally nothing wrong with loving underage girls. Get on with the times, bigot.

kek

Any respectable place like Sup Forums will think that andrew anglin is a faggot and a loser.

slow as fuck, almost as bad as the desktop one

for fuck's sake

wtf I hate how 4chanx allows you to retrieve deleted posts now

That dude should be hanged. It's fucking obvious it doesn't quite fit there.

Faggot, use waterfox and enable multiprocess. It works with 54~57+ extensions

I don't care, patiently waiting for firefox 57

WRONG

More like, the next version will be the fork and Mozilla will be left behind as some other group takes over the codebase.

I wish Microsoft gave up on Edge and just forked Firefox.

What does Sup Forums think about Edge anyway?

>version 55
Stop.

Chrome's worst influence by far is this inflated version number meme

I like it a lot

Lucky that Firefox comes standard with Ubuntu versions :-)

Who's still using Chrome anyway?

Why? It's just as arbitrary as labelling it something like Version 23.5.11

which of my extensions are getting nuked?

most of Sup Forums if judging by the last browser screencap thread

Neat.

>2017
>still using a OS that spies on you

It's LTSB with its insides scrambled.

Half of my shit just plain don't work now

Can't install anything with Stylish or any of it's derivatives, even though they're supposedly compatible.

Had to reinstall Sup Forums-x manually because not even violentmonkey works like it's supposed.

Dark UI theme only mostly works, doesn't affect the new tab page

There's just too much broken shit, maybe I'll try again in a couple of weeks

all of them

>Most addons are available on Chrome
If all I wanted were Chrome addons, I'd be using fucking Chrome.

They all die

It's so that you can drag the window around.

uBlock Origin's already ported, but it's only on the "devel" channel of addons.mozilla.org. I think he's going to push it to the main channel soon.

>Why
Tabs are short-term bookmarks to people such as myself.

Not him but grab the web extention version from github.
github.com/gorhill/uMatrix/releases

Like eggs?

ive been maining chrome since 2010

firefox still crashes constantly on my phone and desktop