SELF-DRIVING CARS BTFO

SELF-DRIVING CARS BTFO
MACHINE "LEARNING" BTFOD

autoblog.com/2017/08/04/self-driving-car-sign-hack-stickers/?hcid=ab-around-ab-tile-3

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Vehicle_Owners'_Right_to_Repair_Act
blog.openai.com/adversarial-example-research/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why would you be happy about this?

so that someone can crash at 45 mph going past a stop sign

Well great looks like autocars won't work in the hoods and ghettos now.

If they realised that this can fuck their learning algorithm theyre just gonna refine it so that it sees past it

Or use some GPS sign system where they don't even need to scan signs

If anything this has just delayed self driving cars going mainstream. No benefit to anyone

oh no a small hurdle
>technologically leaps over it

This is why I'll never buy a self driving car in the next 50 years. Anybody who trusts one has no common sense.

Can't wait until municipalities start using captcha signs to stop self driving cuckmobiles.

>Jamal cannot get home with a stolen self-driving car

sheeeeeeiiiiiiit.jpg

kek. I can legitimately see this happening.

>luddites trying to stop progress
what else is new

t. future 50+k stock owner

>equip motorcycle with emergency vehicle transponder
>filter past the cucks as they're forced to make space
>zero risk involved

The future is bright

I recall some military project where they taught an AI to tell MBTs from APCs pretty well. Then they demoed it for high-ranking officers and government officials... and it failed miserably.
Turned out all their pictures of MBTs were taken in sunny weather, and the APCs in cloudy. And they taught their AI to tell the weather apart

If your goal is to delay self driving cars going mainstream what's the problem?

>set robot car to drive somewhere "8 hours later"
>spread out in the backseat with a blanket and pillow and go to sleep
>wake up in new far away place and spend the day exploring the world
rinse and repeat

>No benefit to anyone
except it benefits any person stupid enough to let a car drive you to your death, all this little hacks will force developers to focus more on real life scenarios and less in muh utopic automata world

>self-driving car is stolen by jamal
>owner reports it stolen using the find my car app
>car doors are locked remotely
>car drives jamal to the police station

Will human controlled driving be banned in the future? How hard will it be to root your car and take control over it again?

self driving cars will benefit everyone????

You're mistaken my friend, my goal is to take cages of the road to make space for more efficient forms of transport like bicycles, motorcycles and public transport

I could see some places doing that to keep up the traffic ticket revenue, especially with speed signs and so on. Change to a captcha sign with a new lower speed, and don't place the new speed limit in an easily accessible database. Then just have a few cops pulling everyone over.

no they won't???

systematize driving and automobile traffic, dramatically reducing car accidents
give humans more time to do whatever they want
lower travel costs

>Tarek El-Gaaly, senior research scientist at autonomous driving startup Voyage, tells Car and Driver that there are solutions for these sorts of attacks, though, that can be incorporated into autonomous driving systems. Context is one fix, and a car could be able to tell if it misidentified a sign based on, say, its location, and know that it shouldn't go highway speeds in an urban area. "In addition," he said, "many self-driving vehicles today are equipped with multiple sensors, so failsafes can be built in using multiple cameras and lidar sensors."
wow it's fucking nothing

Get hacked and controlled by governments and criminal organizations, used to restrict movement and control the population. Your freedom will be gone, and you will be totally vulnerable to whoever has the REAL keys to your car.

but but muh freedoms

>there are solutions
>failsafes can be built in
>a car could be able
Of course. And then they'll find something else to fool the sensors.

Only buy cars that still allow you the option to manually drive then.

You'll still reap the infrastructural benefits.

Unless the manual option is a purely mechanical switch any control will be illusory, and easily disabled via remote overrides.

Mod your car then...

What's the problem

>lelee technology is always good
You people are retarded. Do you even understand cause and effect? Doubt it, you sounder superstitious to me.

>Implying that won't be illegal
Are you blind to history?

It's not illegal now.

Lobby for or against as you please.

It's your property.
No judge will ever tell you that you can't do mess with it.

>leaps over and into the ditch.

Do you even understand how dangerous and difficult it is to modify the CAN in a modern car? You would likely end up disabling the breaks or all all the warnings. Those things are programmed in complete spaghetti code.

Also what about all those that cannot modify their car due to lack of knowledge? Is it right for them to be vulnerable?

Not to mention the tools are extremely expensive and usually limited to certified engineers who are licensed by the manufacturer.

>fucking with signs to fuck with machines
we cyberpunk now

The early-cyberpunk era started 2011-2013. We will be full cyberpunk by 2025.

All they had to do was use a larger learning sample size, or have the ai modify its samples for color and brightness

Just buy an old Soviet Niva or army UAZ. Pure mechanics, no electronic hoobaloo.

This wouldnt happen with proper mass transit.

ppl have been cutting down stop signs forever or just put a bag over it

Or you can get a non-shit western car and not have to deal with eastern bloc engineering

>It drives you to the nearest McDonalds (or other sponsored place) and parks for the next few hours.
>Reduces traffic, pollution, wear and saves charge/fuel.

>western cars
>not shit
>not have to deal

Or maybe design actual image recognition instead of relying on an AI that they can't prove to not have vulnerabilities.
In this case they even precisely know the 3D model that the computer should look for, why even use a learning-based AI? Oh, right, because they are lazy incompetent fucks.

t. faggot commieboo

If you've ever driven a commiewagon for any longer than your average hop to grocery store and back you wouldn't be talking such horseshit

This is the flaw with AI, they are inherently impossible to audit since their "source" is closed even to those who train them. The ease of development completely sacrifices any assurance of the code's correctness.

>jamal = user = owner = hacked phone owner

I think the correct term is slavaboo

>future
>manual car
>AI cruze control
>AI takes you for a ride

there were east german cars too (wartburg, trabant) and they fall into the same category

>Soviet
Not Russian. After the fall of USSR there were 15 years of industry falling apart and 10 years of trying to start anew. At least "classic" models get safety *options* like ABS or airbags these days.

But yeah, was a Varg meme. He has those cars and seems to be fond of them.

are you?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Vehicle_Owners'_Right_to_Repair_Act
tl;dr
>manufacturers try to "closed-source" their cars
>it would be illegal for the owner to perform any work on the car the manufacturer does not want them to (as in things other than changing the windshield wipers, for now...)
>congress says no u can't do that
>car owners right to work on their car now saved

so yes you will be free to modify and do whatever you want to your car, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be legal for you to drive it on public streets because safety regulations and whatever else

This is what we need.

how bad could radar/gps jammers screw self-driving cars? just curious haha

meanwhile in reality what an open source type car actually is

Well technically speaking you ought to just run it in a real world environment as trial for a few weeks and then it'll have its issues ironed out by more learning, right?

if they could actually learn but right now they are the stage of bruteforcing how to recognize signs ie. recaptcha.

Yea, couldn't that, in the context of war, be done by assistance of soldiers? Equip soldiers with bodycams, and every time they spot a tank in the field and report it to their superiors (which is standard procedure in my army, when I remember my conscription times right) the bodycam asssociates the shape with the tank model in question. Then gather the data from all the soldiers in the theatre and pile it into the AI. Basically recaptcha: IRL edition.

fucking luddite

seeing as how they have inflatable tanks and stuff like that relying only on vision would be a mistake.

If the car was totally offline and/or had a purely mechanical manual override then it would be fine. But no manufacturer will ever do that.

Nobody actually uses inflatable tanks to fake nowadays. That shit is WW2 era. Everyone has thermals now, at the very least in their armored vehicles if not on their person.

I recall watching a demo video of a self driving car put out by google of the car driving from some cuck shed to an office.
Nice video with a high level of driving ability. However, the car broke two traffic laws and became confused at two points.
The very best outcome selected from who knows how much footage and they still committed two violations and misread the conditions twice.
Not looking great for city driving.

I think the self driving car has some potential in putting long distance truckers out of business, and create the job of 'harbor pilots' for humans to complete the last leg of a shipment in a city. That or having trucks form convoys of trucks drafting to reduce fuel by driving almost touching on highways in blocks of 4 or 5 trucks.

>Nobody actually uses inflatable tanks to fake nowadays.
I hope you don't seriously believe that. Most initial reconnaissance is done via satellites or very high altitude planes. Fake tanks, trucks, bunkers, buildings, landscaping, missiles, whatever, are all very much a thing still...

>money to buy self driving car
>somehow not enough money to buy a 2005 shitbox for muh freedoms

so jamal *can* get home with a stolen self-driving car, after all

Don't be so simple minded. This isn't about one specific example, it is about the fragility of their while approach to computer vision. If there is one single pattern that will completely screw it over there are likely to be many more.

Well my army didn't have any of it. As far as I know, the US army doesn't use that anymore either. And all aerial reconnaisance is done with at the very least thermal scans as well. An inflatable tank can't exactly emit the kind of heat a tank engine produces without melting.

>Will human controlled driving be banned in the future?
Anyone who thinks this will happen is paranoid and dumb

>How dare you question the wisdom of eternal automation and question if losing agency is too steep a price to pay

Think a little harder next time. This is how you end up with many many stupid deals.

oh no "special stickers" , i mean its still a red octagon , a few black squares and dots wont stop a proper sign recognition software , also we solve captchas every time we post here to train the AI anyways , so this is just hilarious tinfoil hat posting
pic related , my captcha for this

Stop posting on Sup Forums and get on horseback and deliver him a strongly worded letter

But does it actually work?
It takes as much effort and manpower to fake a military operation or deployment as it does to do it for real. Otherwise the recon will note that while we might see what looks like an armored division we can clearly see it's only manned by 200 people rather than 10,000.

Also when you have fake tanks, aircraft and buildings that show up as not actually made of metal to sat radar it makes the cost of decoys vastly higher than any practical value.

>not intentionally fucking with the "street signs" and "vehicles" captchas as much as you can get away with

I can easily see it happening. Human drivers will be said to slow things down and cause more accidents. Policies will be put in place to create "automated only" driving lanes in metropolitan areas. Those lanes will extend further until humans are only allowed to drive on streets and highways and freeways will become AI-only. Eventually once the last manual cars become relics in about 50 years manual driving will be banned outright.

and be banned from highways and freeways*

>wanting the botnet to succeed
shiggydiggy

> won't stop a peer sign recognition software
user, that's the whole point of the article. It just did!

>thinks computers see as easily as humans

Ya know that isn't true, right? Shit we see as obvious can trick a computer. The computer won't think like us and go "close enough". And if it did, that can lead to other issues if it runs across a fake stop sign or any other type of sign. Even those stupid things people put on their lawns could do it then.

Hence why captchas can fuck a computer up, but a human can easily do it. They don't see and comprehend things like we do.

outrageously impractical?

banning driving would be like banning alcohol, no one will care, everyone will still drive and no one will enforce such a rule

>proper sign recognition software
This doesn't exist. Everyone uses a variation of slightly specialized general purpose pattern recognition AI. No matter how much training data you have, the pattern recognition will be too focused on some details of the sign and ignores some other parts. In the end you have an overspecialized piece of linear shit that is exactly the reason for these misidentifications.

Carpool lanes are enforced where I am, I don't see how this is much different.

outrageously fast and awesome

>I don't see how this is much different.
something must be wrong with your eyes then

blog.openai.com/adversarial-example-research/
the idea isn't new, but doing it in physical space with stickers and shit is cute.

Nigga there's at least 3 lanes for your single occupancy ass and you have to take up the one lane that's for busses and commuters?

Automated lanes: A lane used for a specific purpose to increase safety and reduce traffic
Carpool lanes: A lane used for a specific purpose to reduce traffic and reduce pollution

>Carpool lanes are enforced where I am, I don't see how this is much different.
A carpool lane is an admission by whoever plans the roads that they have given up or have been commanded by the politicians to build a road to try and make buses which otherwise can't function due to poor road planning and construction.

I'm not saying carpool lanes are a problem, I'm saying they will set the precedent for the phasing out of human drivers.

>wanting to vegetate so much you don't even drive anymore
Kill yourself already.

>putting anything near a stop sign is now a felony
Good luck finding your dog now little Timmy ;_;

I don't think so, because by your logic they would have phased out single occupancy already

Not everyone can or will carpool. However eventually 95% cars will be self driving and that number will only ever grow.

>he doesn't want a cyberpunk future with self driving cars being hacked by blackhats and cops alike

>95% cars will be capable of self driving
ftfy