/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread -

Welcome to /flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
grymoire.com/Unix/

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/

/t/'s Linux Games: /t/'s Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's from that cli book, right?

why is the linux community so homophobic?
why are there so few results? what is keeping lgbt+ people from using and talking about linux? is it because the linux community is toxic and homophobic and highly oppressive?

why do no linux distros have .lgbt websites to attract lgbt+ involvment

Because Linux people dont give a shit about your mental illness, only code.

>I should spew hate speech and call a massive group of people mentally ill, that is how I can show I am not a homophobic pig

Wanting to have your dick cut off, is a mental illness.
Wanting to mutilate your vagina, is a mental illness.
I dont enable the mentally ill, i suggest they talk to a psychiatrist and a therapist for help.

It is right and proper to mention the principal contribution first. The GNU contribution to the system is not only bigger than Linux and prior to Linux, we actually started the whole activity.

However, if you prefer to call the system “Linux/GNU”, that is a lot better than what people usually do, which is to omit GNU entirely and make it seem that the whole system is Linux.

I wonder if it's a GNU person trying to stir shit up because his precious GNU is not included in the OP.

The name is not an attribution list. Linux is nice and catchy. GNU is repulsive.

why does /flt/ hate GNU so much?
>fought for your freedoms
>build the free software community
>developed an operating system for you
is asking to call what they have done by its name too much?

You're attributing way too much to GNU.

The Linux Command Line, yes.

And /flt/ predates /fglt/ by a whole year. Using the same logic you should cease creating /fglt/ threads.
Let's put it this way. I'm going to call it GNU/Linux when /fglt/ is abandoned for /flt/.
Let's see how you like your own medicine.

It only takes a second to say or type “GNU/”. If you appreciate the system that we developed, can't you take one second to recognize our work?

Sup Forums hates him because he has confidence in himself unlike them

Ignore gnu posts!

See my proposition above. /flt/ is both older AND started the whole activity (i.e. Linux general threads).
Stop making /fglt/ threads in favour of /flt/ and I'm going to type the three letters and a slash.

Compare autotools and cmake for instance. Autotools is overdesigned, incredibly complex, super-slow bloated garbage. cmake is fast and easy to use. Autotools is GNU, cmake is not.

I respect the work of Linus more than that of RMS, so I will follow his naming convention.

I'm new to Linux and I'm trying Feodra as a starting point and it's pretty nice. Any other distros for new users to recommend?

Nobody is asking you to call Linux, the kernel, GNU/Linux.

I use Ubuntu at my workplace, in a VM. It's what I've been using for years, simple and gets the job done.

I am not talking about the kernel. I'm talking about calling the whole system Linux, the way Linus does.

Linus didn't write a complete system.

Stop shitting the thread up.
They will go away if no one responds.
You cant win against a stallmanist,just ignore and proceed on

Ubuntu is another noob-friendly distro, but the default flavour sucks. Try Xubuntu or Ubuntu MATE, they are 99% vanilla Ubuntu with a different desktop.

Then there's OpenSUSE. It's got some rough edges but I like it.
It comes in two editions:
Leap - regular release
Tumbleweed - rolling release, you get the newest packages as soon as they are released and tested

He calls the complete system Linux, and so do I. Yes, he did not write the entirety of it. I apologize beforehand, but I am going to call you a retard for making such an obvious statement.

Nor did GNU.
Every distro today is third-party and glued together from unrelated components.
What gives you the right to only credit GNU?

>Stallman
>real contribution to Linux
>not just piggybacking off of Linus

Ignore troll posts. GNU/Fags are out of arguments and need a strawman.

You're dividing the whole linux community with your GNU/ crap, its just annoying, cant you see the fglt-flt thing? that roots on your gnushit

what keyboards do you fags use?

Just sage and report for trolling

Ducky legend. reds

When we ask people to say “GNU/Linux”, we are not dividing people. We are asking them to give the GNU Project credit for the GNU operating system. This does not criticize anyone or push anyone away.

However, there are people who do not like our saying this. Sometimes those people push us away in response. On occasion they are so rude that one wonders if they are intentionally trying to intimidate us into silence. It doesn't silence us, but it does tend to divide the community, so we hope you can convince them to stop.

However, this is only a secondary cause of division in our community. The largest division in the community is between people who appreciate free software as a social and ethical issue and consider proprietary software a social problem (supporters of the free software movement), and those who cite only practical benefits and present free software only as an efficient development model (the open source movement).

This disagreement is not just a matter of names—it is a matter of differing basic values. It is essential for the community to see and think about this disagreement. The names “free software” and “open source” are the banners of the two positions. See Why Open Source misses the point of Free Software.

The disagreement over values partially aligns with the amount of attention people pay to the GNU Project's role in our community. People who value freedom are more likely to call the system “GNU/Linux”, and people who learn that the system is “GNU/Linux” are more likely to pay attention to our philosophical arguments for freedom and community (which is why the choice of name for the system makes a real difference for society). However, the disagreement would probably exist even if everyone knew the system's real origin and its proper name, because the issue is a real one. It can only go away if we who value freedom either persuade everyone (which won't be easy) or are defeated entirely (let's hope not).

You are being obnoxious, and don't pretend you don't know this.

What gives you the right to only credit Linux?

Just ignore the gnushits. Yesterday when we ignored them, several of them flipped out and began spamming the thread and it looks like they got b& so it works out for us if we just report them and carry on doing what we're doing.
Now I have a serious question, NixOS or GuixSD?
And do they effectively obsolete Docker?

quit trying to slide the thread. i'm gay but no one cares if i am, and no one should. keep that stuff in the bedroom, and don't reject your gender

It's the word Linux uses to generalize the family of operating systems, and since we respect him more than RMS, we follow his naming convention. This is not about right. We all have right to do whatever the fuck we want.

best chromebook distro?

Alpine

How can you refer to an operating system as Linux if Linux is not an operating system?

I am not autistic so I understand that it's possible for a word to have multiple meanings.

Linux is a kernel, GNU is a philosophy. say what you mean

guy from the last thread here, I still have the problem

I have installed busybox on my Linux mint machine, it works, but I always need to prefix "busybox program" to execute a command

what can I do so busybox replaces the GNU stuff? how does the linking work? do I need to link everything myself?

>tfw they 404d my thread

Do you guys refer to Android as simply "Linux" aswell? It contains the same amont of Linux as in GNU/Linux.

So, I just installed ubuntu on my machine with a VM. I have also been through numerous tutorials on youtube and other websites. I've memorized various commands via the commands line and have python and java installed. So what do I do now? What is the next step of learning linux?

>busybox --install /usr/bin/

Android does not use gnu software though.

>Bionic libc,[5] mksh shell,[6] Toybox as core utilities beginning with Android 6.0,[7][8] previously native core utilities with a few from NetBSD[9][10]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

Busybox comes as a single executable, but it always checks what filename it was executed as.
For example, if you make a symbolic link called ls to the busybox executable and execute it, busybox will run ls.

>completly missing the point
How retarded are you that you don't get such a simple question?

>Android
It's just Linux.

Android doesn't follow POSIX standards, so no.

neither does linux

Linux with GNU or a similar userspace does

why don't we call it friendly unix thread?

IIRC it is nearly POSIX compliant. It isn't 100% though.

BSD FAGS GTFO

Because macfags.

Hi guys, looking for a rolling release distro for a laptop, I'm thinking about Antergos and OpenSuse. Anything I should take into consideration before I make a decision?

>implying 100% compatibility matters

Both, Antergos and OpenSUSE use GNUshit.
I'd recommend Alpine instead.

Is it possible in bash to pass input to a program as you start it up and then continue using it like normal? For example when you open a file in vim while it's already open in another instance, you have to press "o" to confirm that you want to open it as read-only. Would it be possible to do something like
echo "o" | vim kode.py

?
I tried that and several variations but I can't figure it out.

install alpine

>current year
>using bash
uninstall that commieware and use zsh

Ok, why should I use that? That's the first time I even heard of it. What's wrong with GNU software?

I'm ssh'd into a university server, can't do that unfortunately.

GNU is fine. Ignore these guys and ask in the other thread if you want actual help.

andrey@Shanghai:~$ sh -c "echo a; cat" >a.txt
ffff
andrey@Shanghai:~$ cat a.txt
a
ffff
andrey@Shanghai:~$

Dope, thanks, that works well.

>"Linux/GNU" would be more technically accurate since the kernel boots first and everything else runs on top of it
What about GRUB?

It's not involved in operation of the system, just launches it and then stops working.

Wait, it doesn't. I thought it worked (replacing the meme arrow with a pipe obv) but when I actually do anything nothing much happens.
Well whatever, at this point it's more trouble than just waiting a bit and pressing o manually.

hey linux community, I have a linux question on setting up a linux os on my new linux box
i just bought a new linux laptop for installing linux on it, now, i want to know, which linux is the best linux for linux development in general? my linux machine has recent hardware, so a lightweight linux distro isn't really required. which linux distro would you suggest in order to have the best linux experience?

Well, works perfectly for me with nano. Probably just the picky vim refusing to read input from pipe.

Yea I guess, it also prints "warning, input not from terminal" so..

You can find out which file it's reading from and write something to that in parallel. something along those lines when done manually:

andrey@Shanghai:~$ w
23:55:01 up 1 day, 9:24, 2 users, load average: 2.05, 2.03, 2.05
USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
andrey pts/2 192.168.1.34 23:36 17.00s 0.12s 0.01s nano
andrey pts/4 192.168.1.34 23:54 6.00s 0.08s 0.00s w
andrey@Shanghai:~$ echo hello > /dev/pts/2

At this point in another terminal that runs user the text 'hello' appears.

anyone know how to turn off the screen saver in mate 1.16?

I have an RPM Package.
I'm trying to manually install said RPM Package, and it has dependencies that I don't have installed. Do I have to go down the list one-by-one or is there a way to streamline the process? Thanks.

that's pretty neat

install alpine

I'm a fucking casual normie.

I had enough of Windows' shit and decided to switch over. Installed Manjaro KDE edition and have been mostly smooth sailing since.

I know a little bit about the history of FOSS, GNU and Linux, and the interjection copypasta - but not quite enough to give a shit.

Which thread should I reside in if I just wanna talk about general linux shit, without getting embroiled in the autism? I honestly don't understand the distinction and the little pissy feud, and definitely don't care.

(le reddit x-posted this in the other thread for both opinions :)

ignore gnutards and their shitty agenda
this is the real /flt/

>le

the other thread is friendlier in regards to discussions for newcomers to GNU/Linux

Linux*

>inb4 proving your point
Wrong. You'd probably correct people saying "Linux*, which is what most people call it

We dont force a religious ideology on people in this thread.

> Bowing to the whims of an autistic pedophile hobo
It's Linux
Just Linux

how does that stop the screen saver?

When did anyone force you to something? All what GNU does is asking for equal mention. OP of the other thread thinks it's justified. So GNU got equal mention.

It's not like that the other thread is called Friendly GNU Thread and tries to exclude Linux completly (unlike this thread does).

There is no gnu tools on my system.
I dont use glibc
I dont use coreutils
I dont use gcc
I dont use bash
My system is 100% gnu tools free.
I run Linux
Others run the same setup, i will not call it gnu/Linux, I will call it Linux.

I moved from windows; used to set up Google drive and move my Documents folder to *inside* the drive folder, so all My Documents would sync.

Since there's no official Drive app for linux, is there an alternative? I only have about 11GB of files, but that's too big for my dropbox (which I already also use).

Search "google drive linux".For your answer
Which you should have done before you posted

>I will call it Linux.
but user, linux is just the kernel

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

It means more then just the Linux Kernel you retard,which is why you stallkikes dont understand,you're too autistic to know what it actually references.

Nobody is asking to call your system GNU when you don't run a GNU system.

but that's wrong senpai

Is safe to use I2p official ppa or should I use the jar file instead?