Google Fires Employee Behind Controversial Diversity Memo

archive.is/WX8VE
>Alphabet Inc.’s Google has fired an employee who wrote an internal memo blasting the web company’s diversity policies, creating a firestorm across Silicon Valley.
>James Damore, the Google engineer who wrote the note, confirmed his dismissal in an email, saying that he had been fired for "perpetuating gender stereotypes." A Google representative didn’t immediately return a request for comment.
>Google’s Chief Executive Officer Sundar Pichai sent a note to employees on Monday that said portions of the employee’s memo "violate our Code of Conduct and cross the line by advancing harmful gender stereotypes in our workplace." But he didn’t say if the company was taking action against the employee.
>Damore’s 10-page memorandum accused Google of silencing conservative political opinions and argued that biological differences play a role in the shortage of women in tech and leadership positions. It circulated widely inside the company and became public over the weekend, causing a furor that amplified the pressure on Google executives to take a more definitive stand.
>After the controversy swelled, Danielle Brown, Google’s new vice president for diversity, integrity and governance, sent a statement to staff condemning Damore’s views and reaffirmed the company’s stance on diversity. In internal discussion boards, multiple employees said they supported firing the author, and some said they would not choose to work with him, according to postings viewed by Bloomberg News.
>The memo and surrounding debate comes as Google fends off a lawsuit from the U.S. Department of Labor alleging the company systemically discriminates against women. Google has denied the charges, arguing that it doesn’t have a gender gap in pay, but has declined to share full salary information with the government. According to the company’s most recent demographic report, 69 percent of its workforce and 80 percent of its technical staff are male.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=--3V7LjZN_o
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sad!

Its against their code of conduct so alphabet can do what they want.
I would in agree with the memo but spreading those opinions around would dishearten talented women in to applying

I actually thought Google would use this opportunity to shed some of the insane diversity-hires that were calling for his head. Refusing to work, calling for violence, sending death threats, threatening to quit... should have just let them do it.

Jesus what a fucking idiot. Now he will pretty much never be able to get a job at any public company ever again.

based retardbro

Bullshit

>agree with the memo
without a shred of scientific proof to back it up. but hey, since when do biases need proof?

>okay guys, an employee is concerned that it's not safe to hold conservative viewpoints within our company. how do we react?

>fire him for holding conservative viewpoints

>brilliant

Funny how the guy was right about pretty much everything he wrote.
Especially the part about that other views will not be tolerated.
He should've posted the memo anonymously, instead of publicly, because now, just like said, he's fucked for life.

Didn't the memo start by saying that the author agrees with diversity? What are they firing the guy for? Not agreeing enthusiastically enough?

>original memo cites several sources
>liberal media circulates memo stripped of citations
>libtards eat it up and don't even bother to look for the original memo unmolested by their corrupt shovel-feeders

>conservative
James might be able to shed some light on the Hillary Clinton autosuggest cleansing, and other Democratic shenanigans.

He's a martyr. He can easily get a horde of conservative supporters behind him to raise funds for him to live off of

And that's why Apple will win in the end, I was told they're pretty conservative (marketing team is liberal tho)

Without political diversity, Google will slowly stumble down in a liberal hell, until they get fucked by competition. That will take a few years since they're basically a monopoly by now, but eventually that will end.

Juicero is basically what Google is becoming.

He wanted to get fired, no one would post that for any other reason. He'll get hired again. No biggie.

>I was told they're pretty conservative
By who?

Told by who? The marketing team? Gtfo with that bullshit, they're not conservative.

My dad works at Nintendo

Nope. There is just too much demand for devs throughout America and outside of California and Jew York literally no one cares about SJW bullshit or even pays attention

I knew a few interns, they told me the marketing team is liberal and pretty much everything else is conservative.
I'm not even sure if they're allowed to tell people that, they're very restrictive on what you can say etc.

They're all SJW cucks. Ultimately SV shedding its meritocratic culture will just have them handing over their market share to Chinese owned companies. Quality will degrade to chinkshit tier, except you're paying American prices for the labor of non productive SJWs.

As long as they don't go around posting "manifestos" they'll be fine.

>They're all SJW cucks
source?

He knew what he was doing. And Google was able to show the world they'll stand up for diversity even if it means firing bigoted white men with ugly noses. Everyone is happy.

Quads of the eventual truth. Our best bet for competing is to bring China to our level of absurd politics.

wasted quads

It really is a shame that Microsoft is out of the mobile world. I've been pretty sick of Google for quite a while and the only option is Apple of all companies.

Not that I give a fuck enough about this to switch because of this, I just would like another option.

>vice president for diversity
Jesus murphey

Yep. Google is playing right into his hands by condemning his memo and firing him, actually. They're doing exactly what makes them look like what he accuses them of being.

>Fire talented employee because he wrote that he believes he can't share his opinions

I can't wait for Google to go the Yahoo way in a year or two. Are you all ready to use Bing instead?

When in their business, do you care more about quality or do you care more about nonsensical bullshit in an effort to appease everyone.

youtube.com/watch?v=--3V7LjZN_o

I so want this to happen again. We need a good purging. A cleansing of the Western mind.

just wait until silicon valley becomes publicly owned (some already is)

That is certainly not going to cause any problems or prove anybody right.

No, not at all

While he's right, and he proved his point when they fired him, he's still a tard. Make your money at goog and get out silently, don't put a target on your back.

Google is officially fascist organization lmao.

This guy could easily find a job here in Michigan within the auto industry. Plenty of moderate/conservative male engineers who would sympathize with this guy and hire him on the spot because of this stunt, and skills too.

Also, not many women engineers (especially female software engs) join the car companies because "lol cars are such stupid guy things. I want to work for google/facebook instead!", which would hire them solely cause of gender (as this guy rightly proves).

>Sundar Pichai

>company fighting a gender discrimination lawsuit
>hey let's send out an ebin redpilled memo about how women are born shit at programming

>Make your money at goog and get out silently

This guy had extensive credentials and experience. Do you really think he would pull some stupid stunt like this if he wasn't prepared for the consequences? He probably has $10-15 million stashed in various accounts by now. He could easily retire in a VERY nice suburban neighborhood today. It's called "fuck you" money for a reason.

i really don't think a googler is worrying much about money

>He probably has $10-15 million stashed in various accounts by now.
I think you overestimate how much engineers make, even at Google.

Damore and Kaepernick should become roommates and make a reality TV show.

If that's the case then I applaud him for making a stand. I don't disagree with anything you said.

So... what you're saying is the entire US tech industry is highly vulnerable and you could make the entire thing burn itself down with just a well-placed poke?

Or, hell. You could poach all the good prospects they let slip through in the name of diversity and leave companies like Google as shadows in the past as you take everything from them. And if anyone tries the same shit with your company you set them on fire and throw them out the door as an object lesson to the next fuck-up.

A small percentage of Whackjobs are happy, more and more moderates will move to the right because of this, I'd know, I was one of them.

kek'd

If the roles were reversed here and it was a liberal that was fired from a conservative company, all you retarded Sup Forumsfaggots would immediately claim that the employee was working for a private company, and freedom of speech only protects you from the government, not any other consequences.

Funny how when a republicuck gets in trouble it's because of the "suppressive left" or because the left is somehow "pro censorship".

But at the end of the day it feels damn goog being a liberal and knowing the most wealthy, intelligent people are also liberals.
Bill gates, Warren Buffett, Jeff bezos, mark Zuckerberg, etc. Even America's largest corporations are heavily liberal, such as Alphabet, Amazon, apple, Microsoft, etc.
It's no coincidence that a majority of right Winters are uneducated poor farmers doing unskilled work.

All Americans corporations have revealed themselves for the Commie Fascists they Are

Someone call for me?

Did you even read the thread or are you too busy eating your own shit?

Nobody is complaining about Google essentially proving his point you retard

Thanks for outing yourself, lefty faggot,
You'd fit in better here >>>/Reddit/

How does it feel knowing the future will have tech companies run by hipsters with dyed hair and fashion-glasses running an executive diversity council while anyone with actual field expertise and technical knowledge will effectively be seen as an underclass?

People will be chased out of the industry because some fop will decide their code is misogynistic.

>only source of the claim that Damore's been fired for "perpetuating gender stereotypes" is Damore himself
>who wrote a 10 page "memorandum" containing his political opinions to share with his colleagues who no doubt were eagerly waiting for him to share his views
So he's "that guy."

>Telling me to leave because you disagree with my opinion
>turns around and berates Google for doing the same thing
So this... is the power of the right?

Yea my next phone will probably be a Windows phone. At least Microsoft makes products, that's how they make money.

Google doesn't make products. Without user data gathering Google would be finished.

I feel bad for the guy but he HAD to have seen this coming. Part of his memo mentioned that anything outside the echo chamber is silenced, and exactly that happened.

have oyu even read the article?

You faggots have infested every corner of the internet, there's other places for your kind :)

It's not that somebody got fired for speaking their mind, it's that their entire career has effectively been destroyed for speaking their mind. The media won't let go of this for a week and this man will never live it down.
If the roles were reversed the person would be praised as a fucking war hero and invited to the white house.

I interviewed at google last year. Now I know I didn't get the job due to my gender and skin color, so that's nice.

It wasn't about his political opinions, it was the political biases that exist at Google that he wrote about.

>Invited to the white house
Not with the God emperor in the oval office

Have you? It clearly refuses to confirm that the firing was due to some gender stereotype nonsense. Chances are he was an annoying paranoid type who constantly accused people of hating him for having redpilled views and everyone wanted him out.

>Yfw a literal street shitter leads google.

Wrong. He'll be snapped up instantly by a promising startup, or quietly join another public company in a few months with a CEO who can defend his hiring. Assuming he needs to work at all (he's fairly senior, and if he's like me, financially independent after so much time in industry).

I'm not sure what would compel you to create this and circulate it at work. Talk about annoying.

>if the roles were reversed the person would be praised as a fucking war hero
And rightly so, because diversity (when not forced) is objectively superior to a homogenous workplace.

>Google’s Chief Executive Officer Sundar Pichai sent a note to employees on Monday that said portions of the employee’s memo "violate our Code of Conduct and cross the line by advancing harmful gender stereotypes in our workplace."

You see the thing is damore was also arguing for diversity, intellectual Diversity.

So basically a guy decided to become a Sup Forums meme instead of hiding his power levels.

>But he didn’t say if the company was taking action against the employee.

And yet he has been fired. Ain't that a kicker?

Which could have been for a number of reasons, or a combination of reasons, most of which wouldn't have elicited a public response.

>Sup Forums meme

Here is a sample of the violent rhetoric Google fired this far-right extremist for.

Not even remotely close. The author of the little document is entirely lefty, hes just a somewhat rational lefty. All of the accusations being hurled against him are false. He openly states he is pro diversity, and thinks that they need more of it.
He just made the mistake of thinking that left rhetoric about tolerance was true. He paid the price for it.

And yet the CEO of Google literally said that he violated the Code of Conduct.

Literally Hitler

And he'd find a way to isolate and ostracize himself there by constantly telling people about how woke he is, and making imaginary enemies and conspiracies against him. I know the type.

If that's true, Apple will hire him for sure

It's actually pretty tame and not insane. What I read about it read about it in the news stories led me to believe it would be.

No, they aren't all SJW cucks. It's just that SJW cucks are like ISIS, it only takes a small minority of them to cause destruction.
Chinkshit will always be chinkshit. Google will have its lunch eaten by a more thirsty competitor less interested in signalling, or it will change internally. It should've kept the guy as a message to SJW cucks that their fundamentalism would not be tolerated. Every single person who would quit over that memo would save Google millions.

> he doesn't know corporate CoCs exist to be arbitrarily enforced

>being this much of a butthurt Commie faggot
lol

>correlation is causation

He's not some nutjob like Michael O' Church who writes epic screeds just to rustle people's jimmies.

He attempted to actually improve his company's diversity policy, some sheboon middle manager probably felt their job security was being threatened and thus terminated him

>implying tech is alpha
>ok pencil neck go back to your basememt

According to this Linkedin page, he was a Senior Software Engineer after working at Google for only

His name was James Damore.
#rememberdamore

I knew this guy at college. He was basically a 1488 tier Sup Forumsfag. I'm surprised he went so long without blowing off.

the memo didn't say that, dipshit

I'm not claiming that it is. I'm saying that it is (1) a reasonable assumption considering that several top-ranking Google executives have come out and said that he violated CoC and (2) that you were wrong when you said he is the only one claiming he was fired for this supposed violation, given that he has only confirmed that he was fired, not given a reason. You made the (incorrect) assumption that Demore made the same assumption you're accusing me of making.

damn guess he'll only be making 200k press F to pay respects

No, he really doesn't. Most of my senior coworkers are millionaires. I'm 35 and worth $3.5M, stashing it away until I can go out with a bang like him. It's not a stretch that a very senior Googler is a deca-millionaire.

>James Damore, the Google engineer who wrote the note, confirmed his dismissal in an email, saying that he had been fired for "perpetuating gender stereotypes."
You misread the article, then.

You know that the political Left is on the verge of its absolute permanent death when rabid cultists try to characterize a Jewish cuck SJW as being a Nazi because hes actually serious about inclusion being about everyone.

The future is going to swing so hard right it'll never go back. The Left just gets more and more insane with every minute they spend on twitter.

It's not about actual job performance. Anymore user, it's about Idealogical Subversion, I really don't understand how literal communists have infiltrated our elite class.