Challenge for you, Sup Forums

Challenge for you, Sup Forums

Inside this PNG, there's a 16-bit bitmap. Extract it. After the 138 byte BMP header, there's a VFAT filesystem. There is one file located on that filesystem. Retrieve it.

Have fun.

Other urls found in this thread:

fastgraph.com/help/bmp_header_format.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No thanks, take your cp somewhere else.

Bump

There's a text saying
>OP is homosexual

There's a .txt file saying:
MGS4 was a good game

Anybody got the kkrieger .png?

found it

site rules prohibit embedding content in images

I removed the 138 byte bmp header and it is not a valid vfat file system

I did it OP what do I win?

is it a picture of ajit pai

leave

Since when is a bmp header 138 byte ?
Wasnt it like 54 ?

various linux data carving utilities are telling me there are no file signatures within that image besides its parent png signature

i tried removing the png header and reading it as a raw vfat image, still could not find any signatures in it

scalpel and qphotorec are returning nothing.

im not fully convinced there is anything hidden in there, only a single signature is detected, the parent png signature.

If I remove the parent png signature no image signatures are detected

have you tried recovering the png, OP? maybe you screwed up

png header is 8 byte according to wikipedia
after these:
im really starting to think were getting trolled

No, nothing wrong. Load it into gimp and export it as a 16-bit bitmap.

what about the whole "embedded vfat filesystem containing a 16bit png image" thing you were talking about?

Yeah, it's there.
PNGs contain bitmaps. You need to export the bitmap and remove the 138 byte header found on 16-bit bitmaps. After the header, it's nothing but a vfat filesystem.

There is a BMP image.

What did you find?

Fuck off pussy

4D 42, the 2 byte string that can signify a bmp header appears in this file 34 times.

it does not mean there is an actual bmp file in it tho

An over engineered way to get webms with sound on this board.

Reported to the FBI.

The reason you didn't find anything is because it's a compressed PNG. Removing the signature or scanning for headers would not decompress the bitmap found inside.

What they're trying to say, is that you need to load the png and export it as raw data, then run foremost, scalpel, binwalk or whatever utility you want.

Personally though:

This

It's just the shitty drift meme.

there is no embedded image following bmp standard.

4 bytes offset AFTER 4D42 must be 0000 and this does not exist once in the file. this is why carving utilities cannot recognize an embedded bmp signature within the file. because there is no embedded bmp, or there is an embedded bmp not following bmp standard which probably wouldnt be opened by any image viewer anyways
>fastgraph.com/help/bmp_header_format.html

to sum it up a bmp must have a header beginning with 4D 42 xx xx 00 00 and this is not in the file at all

Fun little puzzle though, wasn't it?

Yeah as if i live in a shithole like burgerland.

What was really fun is realizing how many people on Sup Forums can't read directions.

>there is a bmp image INSIDE the png file
>you have to CONVERT the png into a bmp
OP gave bad instructions.

Part of the reason why I like posting shit like this here.

FBI is a global organization not a USA organization

PNGs natively support compression of bitmaps, that's sort of the point of a PNG. You don't exactly "convert" a zip file.

[Awaiting bites...]

Kiss my ass :*

oh, i see, when you said 16bit, you meant 16bpp (rgb565), not the more obvious 16bpc
which is also superfluous, as you could have just placed the fat12 filesystem into the png directly
... or even the webm itself

like so
mpv

Nifty.