Do you believe gaming has had a positive or negative effect on the PC community over the past 5 years?

Do you believe gaming has had a positive or negative effect on the PC community over the past 5 years?

Negative

I'm not a fan of the "GAZILLION BLINKING RGB LEDS ON EVERYTHING" and extremely cringe aesthetic that has seeped into almost everything desktop-PC related now. I do think without gamers the high-end self-built desktop PC would be a lot closer to a completely dead platform though.

I don't believe they've had any effect. Certainly not when compared to the enterprise world, which pumps three orders of magnitude more money into the industry.

Mostly negative since gaming is now way to far mainstream, and the industry cant get enough money from us.

>The master race is killing himself.

I like acrylic water cooling.
It needs to be lit, but maybe not excessivly. Like only the cooling lit.

Yeahhhhhhhhh

Positive. Also pushes companies to try and develop better hardware

>muh "HUR DURR TOO MAINSTREAM THEREFORE IT SUCKS!"

The amount of autistic hipster bullshit on this board shows.

It's the only thing pushing performance parts for the consumer now that scientific and industrial tasks are parallelized and back to running on rented or leased hardware, and while "everything must glow" is a shit aesthetic at least it's an aesthetic. Easily the only usecase standing between us and a "chromebook or cloud" future, and that's a net positive.

I'd say cryptocurrency mining has more of a negative effect on the pc market then gaymening

I would kill to be able to buy high end consumer parts without any bling, green solder mask and all.

Also is illustrative of the problem. If you're actually ~just concerned about tech~ your entire rig could glow bright pink and you wouldn't care, the muh beige with green circuitboards autists are just as obsessed with useless aesthetics as the people they complain about.

I mean in the way that it would be built to a cost, green solder mask is cheaper. I want the high end chipset but I don't want to have to pay for the features I don't use. I don't have a side window on my case so there is no point in making it pretty either.

It's only cheaper because it's more common. If the average user decides they want something else, the price advantages of mass production speak and you're the one wanting the special snowflake kit.

Quibbling raw materials is pointless in modern electronics where the right 100 grams of beach sand retain for $2000.

both

Negative in that rainbow lights are pretty fucking childish / gay and are pretty much everywhere. with my build 8 years ago there was only a handful of LED fans and retrofit light strips at my geek store. With my build 2 weeks ago I had a hard time finding a fan that wasn't rice.

Negative in that good hardware is now more expensive
Positive in that good hardware is more available

Positive in that gamers are probably the only thing keeping BYOPC alive these days

I'd posture myself to the contrary, it's clear that PCs wouldn't've developed around processing power and a lot of APIs used by developers would've been either underdeveloped, heavily segmented, or would be pay-to-use proprietary. So without the demand for hardware the market itself would've condensed into highly specialized units like laptops, web books, and HEDTs for exclusively enterprise use (high buy in for new equipment). Instead we have a group of enthusiasts that are willing to buy equipment that's relatively speaking, high cost, to create a more flexible market for the general public.

Both. It's postive because the high demand for better hardware is pushing advancment. It's negative because the children orientated designs are terrible.

>the muh beige with green circuitboards autists are just as obsessed with useless aesthetics as the people they complain about.

Not him. My reply: Of course! I know I'm every bit as obsessed. What's wrong with that? I know that if gear looked like how I like the gamers would hate me. I can't help that I think it's silly to have a machine look like a transformer toy with a touch of 80's hair band heavy metal aesthetic. I have a metal lathe as well and it doesn't look like a space ship. There's nothing wrong with being obsessed about esthetics. It's important. My machine isn't a toy and I don't want it to look like one.

>If you're actually ~just concerned about tech~ your entire rig could glow bright pink and you wouldn't care.

You could say the same about the gamers. If they were just into the games, they wouldn't care if their machines were beige with green circuit boards. But they do care... a lot apparently as I've seen review after review complaining about any aspect even remotely utilitarian in a component.

I don't think they're necessarily horrible people but they are building toys and they want them to look like toys.

And here you are in this thread building self-esteem substitutes and wanting them to look like self-esteem substitutes. If you care, you're equally cancer for caring and then even worse for pretending that your caring is superior, you're like the Sup Forums or /jp/ crossposter who thinks his decade-long devotion to his waifu is a good thing.

NEGATIVE

Few things happened
1. Being a nerd became cool. So PC gaming was more accepted
2. building a PC became too easy and any moron could get one working. Anyone can just buy a custom loop and rig it up.
3. The demographic got younger and younger due to the skill cap lowering.
4. That lower age group is what spawned the RGB Gaymen shit that plagues us.

Positive up.until all the games became console ports.

spoken like a kiddie who didn't see fatal1ty-endorsed hardware in 1999

console ports are a dying breed, brother. everyone plays league, or csgo, or queues support in league and picks soraka so they can press w and then alt-tab back to csgo and clear a room.

>who didn't see fatal1ty-endorsed hardware in 1999
Little before my time
However, these RGB x299/399 boards are a good example of how far the gaymen. Cancer has spread

i'd like to say positive but you wouldn't believe the shit these millennials play. it makes me wonder if there even is a future in gaming beyond micro transactions and mountain dew. asians dominate every competitive game to the point it's sickening and autismos are allowing lets play youtube bullshit to thrive. Most pc games are just ports, and where the fuck is half life 3? valve should get their head out there ass and count to 3...Also gaming on linux is still shit.

we have the hardware but gaming atm is shite

honestly, realtalk, I'm chill with RGB. There are 16 million colors, there's a good chance you can find a unique yet tasteful one.

the stupid everything must be edgy design meme, it's seriously bad even if it's not necessarily worse than 1994 packard bell. i have an overpriced keyboard because it's clicky and can glow my favorite shade of lavender if i want to type at night, i'm not quite as enthused about the wristrest doubling as a batarang or the "put your phone here" indentation having F-14-cockpit-style warning marks.

especially because LEDs can be turned off and dumb molding can't.

pc gaming is fucking awesome, it's nothing but an endless ocean of git gud.

i'm sorry that you need muh feels muh story muh sequel.

>console ports are a dying breed, brother.
All the new games seem like they're available for console. I'm not saying that the console versions are superior to pc, but just that the games in general are shit, and should just stay on consoles.

im sorry that you feel 'git gud' games of today are awesome

You realize there's

1. Literally millions of games, if you can't find one you like you're not looking
2. You can still go play Doom or whatever, because DOSBOX is a thing

Negative. Quite simply, it brings in stupid people.

even better because stupid people pay a ton for ridiculous solutions, so we can have midrange in reasonable prices
looking forward to making closed loop pc in 2-3 years without breaking the bank

absolutely positive.
you can ignore the whiny motherfuckers. hardware has never been this cheap.

>Doom

I'm gong to have to rest my case
>millennials

>the only generation that plays games because they're fun and good, rather than MUH ULTIMA LORE or MUH FINAL FANTASY LORE
>attracts whining
ok

thank you for continuing to affirm my argument

Positive: more PC users, drastic push in consumer GPU tech

Negative: gaming lost it's glamour and stopped being niche, PC tech turned into an even bigger money-milking machine

>Little before my time
Underage.

High end consumer parts are targeted torwards gamers because those are who's buying them. Basically the only markets for high end consumer hardware nowadays are
>gamers
>streamers
>Youtubers/video editors
And that last one can be done on a Macbook Pro just fine. Aside from workstations in schools and businesses and of course servers everything's moving towards cloud-based computing.

PC gaming has been popular with normies since Windows 95. Esports has been a thing since the Quake III/UT days.

But PC gaming being mainstream has positives too.
Products are produced on a larger scale, and are cheaper/more competitively priced. Stuff is easier to find, there are fewer console exclusives because devs don't want to miss out on a large market. Sure, there's more money-grabbing bullshit, but you're not forced to buy it.

2012:
>Me: hey friends, want to play Battlefield 3 online?
>Them: sure, just add me on PSN

2017:
>Me: Hey friends, want to play Battlefield One online?
>Them: nothing because I have no friends any more.

>everyone plays league, or csgo

But those are shit.

All the top Steam games are PC-exclusives except GTA V, and there's also League, World of Tanks, Warthunder, WoW and some other non-Steam MMO's, and Overwatch which is basically a PC game. Also Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 are very fun on PC despite being multiplat.

Aren`t most of those filled with bullshit microtransactions?

Is gayming aesthetic leaking out of the gaming peripheral market?

Negative, fuck ton of idiots who are "gamers" and pretend to know shit about computers, when they can't even cram a motherfucking GPU in a PCI slot...

It's vice versa. The bro bright polo shirts and gay looking tuned "race" cards moved towards gaming.

Anything that blows out of proportion and attracts interest of people who just look at it as a new form of revenue is becoming absolutely dogshit. Gaming existed since 80s it's just that community got completely overran by normies that just like irl hate being challenged. Your average AAA game now has a production budget larger than that of your most expensive movies ever made, it's absolutely normal that majority of titles become Transformers and Fast and Furious of video games while attracting the same type of retards who watched those in the first place.

Gamers are the ones who try to get everyone to build their own PC though. If you look at any Sup Forums thread about PC hardware people are always saying to build your own. OEM sales get worse every year, no one is buying prebuilts except offices.

Youre right. But on the other side, people tend to buy a lot of garbage in case of OS/software/games.