Why is your favorite language so comfy, user?

Why is your favorite language so comfy, user?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/61708866/#q61709759
github.com/dotnet/csharplang/blob/master/proposals/records.md
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

> Microsoft Java
> comfy

I've been using Java for the last couple of weeks, and I can not wait to get back to C#

>slower than Go, which hasn't even had 1/10000th the man-hours put into it
>comfy

Java because Pajeets use it and they smell wonderful!

But Kotlin looks like a promising language...

Basic is comfier.

C++ because of data streams

C# is Microsoft sepples idiot.
Typescript is Microsoft Java.

When I realized c# was just porting half assed functional programming features I just switched to haskell. It's ok for enterprise work but I after learning haskell I feel like I'm just fighting c# as a language half the time. Specifically I wish c# had "with" syntax that f# and haskell have.

because lists are the best data structure!

If it werent for that meme tier syntax

>Slower than go
Pic.

I'm pretty sure F# is the beta for where C# is going. Every version gets more functional features. For me, Haskell is a non-starter because I work with others and most programmers aren't willing to pick up a different paradigm. I can't even use linq without getting questions about what the code is doing.

I believe your situation to be true most of the time. I still have faith I might break out of the .net ecosystem one day. You are totally right about f#. The linq part is a bad sign imo, but everyone learns at their own rate etc etc.

Even if I don't get a haskell job someday, i still find the effort worth it. Its changed the way I think about things especially in c#.

For what it's worth, I've been a dev for 10 years.

>he uses meme languages

And this is why functional programming will never catch on.

Because C# is the best mid-level language.

My perfect combo of programming is:
C++ for low
C# for mid
Python for high

that's C#

are you one of those people that calls things memes for absolutely no reason

no u

no this is why OOP programmers will become unemployable

not anytime in this century

>I can't even use linq without getting questions about what the code is doing.
The hell, LINQ is much more readable, at least for me. Either your code is a mess or the other's can't get the concept of maps and filters.

do you pride yourself on being just good enough to get paid as a code monkey

>being good enough to get paid
Something you're not?

>t. unemployed functional programmer

C for low
C# for mid
JS for high

For me, in order, scripting langs included
>Python
>Javascript
>C++
>Julia
>C

I want to get into Haskell or Erlang for shits and giggles, and learn Kotlin and Swift to do apps and stuff. Most of my worklife revolves around js though.

python

C++ isn't comfy at all. It's hideous, there's simply no good alternative for what I want to do.

Erlang is actually fucking amazing, message oriented + functional programming is extremely scalable and fun to write in. I prefer Haskell's type system, though.

What languages should I learn if I want a comfy programming job?
No web development or app bullshit, I hate that.

what

I do love C#

I mostly use c at work tho...

>C#
Top kek, that shit isn't really cross-platform.

Why anyone but microsoft fanboys should learn it?

Its comfy because visual studio is comfy.

please respond

QUOKKA JS mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

it's easy and it pays well + a lot of companies use it, at least in my home town

coding from my apple iphone using facebook messenger

x86 ASM low
C++ for mid
Python for high

Python blyat

>Python for high
Nice joke.

>Python not for high
Nice joke.

What nice jobs can Python get me?

Have you tried react native? Its basically js but for phone apps

bump

what's your favourite language user?

SQL

It cannot ge tmore comfy than C and Vim.

Java because I love bloat

>A language
>Cross platform
What?

If you're talking about the framework that is mostly used with C# (dotnet): It's completely open source (MIT) and cross platform with official support for Linux and Mac (even BSD)

>header files
>comfy

JavaScript is only comfy because I use it so much.
I do some extra scripting in Lua but only because it's so easy to drop in.

What are you doing with it?

>not wanting signatures of your most important functions easy to access

The whole "separation of implementation and interface" idea falls apart as soon as you do something modestly interesting. Want a static inline function? Implementation in the header. Want to use some macros? Now you just poisoned the namespace of everything that includes it.

Headers are not "self documenting", they're a leaky hack to achieve modularity. If you really want to document your function signatures, do it with some documentation generation tool. JavaDoc has the right idea.

.net core is pretty useless.
Only ms fanboys would learn that, even Java is better :/

It's mostly used as backend language and it's good at that.

Java because I actually have a job and a life and poo

It stems from an unwillingness to learn new syntax and ideas. Lambdas are also difficult to get past code review. A closure might as well be magic.

>.net core
>Useless
Asp core runs on .net core, and it's fast and awesome to work with. Most libraries are targeting .net standard 1.6 which works with .net core too. There's no official gui framework for client applications, but nothing is stopping you from using qt/gtk/xamarin or just making a cli.

Its true and I blame it on Java being taught at universities.

People are so used to looking at
foreach(do something)
{
foreach(do something)
{
}
}

that when they see something like (example):
int minimum = employees.GetMinVal(emp => emp.age);

it blows their mind

It's not too hard to adjust to maps and filters coming from foreach loops.

>int minimum = employees.GetMinVal(emp => emp.age);
This syntax really is kind of confusing. Putting declarative elements into imperative languages is pretty much impossible to do in a way that doesn't seem contradictory at first.

Agree fully.
Was going to post Java because I like (read: am used to) how it looks.

The only confusing thing here is the lambda syntax. Nobody is surprised to see a GetMinVal function getting the smallest in a collection.

When will the FP memeing end?

That shit is not easily maintainable.

What if you need to add another line of code to that lambda? Either make it ugly as sin or rewrite the whole thing.

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/61708866/#q61709759

are you brain damaged?

>telling people to choose between dynamic or static typed languages
>recommends C as a first language

that's a bunch of bullshit TO be honest

there are no comfy languages only comfy jobs. and most of those jobs are enterprise web dev jobs. so learn C#, java or javascript. C# and java back end web dev is still respectable, javascript is not unless you pair it with one of the former.

What if I want a comfy job but hate web dev?

why do you hate web dev? backend is about building complex systems that the website will pull data from, not about building pretty websites.

however, the next comfy job i can think of would be enterprise mobile dev. so learn java/kotlin for android or objective-c/swift for ios. learning both is beneficial. or just learn a cross platform framework such as ionic or react native. mobile apps will also rely on a backend system though so java and c# still applies if you want to be full stack.

You'd just chain onto it.

have fun with your cuck language

It doesn't enforce concept of classes when you want just objects or objects when you want just classes. Type inference checks my programs before I even run them. It has clear parametric polymorphism. The syntax is concise. Algebraic data types and pattern matching let me write beautiful and compact code. Encompassing functions as first class values makes my modules actually modular. Thanks to immutability and lazy evaluation my code is free of side effects. All these language features are independent and it lets me do exactly what I want and nothing more. It's pure.

One thing I miss from other languages are first-class modules, but these can be thought of as records to some extent.

I want to work on interesting projects, not websites.
Then again maybe interesting work isn't comfy.

A lack if records hurts. We were supposed to get them in C# 7, but it was pushed out to version 8.

See:
github.com/dotnet/csharplang/blob/master/proposals/records.md

Huh? The language I was talking about has records. Linking my post would mean your post is related, but the only connection is that I mentioned my language has records and C# doesn't which doesn't really look like a connection and I feel confused.

Your description of whatever language you're referring to actually sounds a lot like C# though, other than algebraic types which I glossed over. Try actually specifying what you're talking about.

Well, for each thing I mentioned in my post:
>It doesn't enforce concept of classes when you want just objects or objects when you want just classes.
C# is a regular POO language (I think it's the best POO language though) and ties these two concepts inseparably
>Type inference checks my programs before I even run them.
I thought C# didn't have actual type inference, but now I've read it actually has. That's nice. I'm not sure if it's as complete as I'd like it to be though (which might be impossible due to inheritance)
>It has clear parametric polymorphism.
While it has parametric polymorphism, I don't consider it "clear". You have to actually specify explicitly that you introduce a type parameter and you end up with a pretty long code for a very simple thing.
>The syntax is concise.
Uh.
>Encompassing functions as first class values makes my modules actually modular.
Support for lambda expressions in POO languages has always been terrible. Or at least was last time I looked, I know they are trying to be more FP now.
>Thanks to immutability and lazy evaluation my code is free of side effects.
>It's pure.
This is the point where you notice it's some autistic language like Haskell.

Languages which aren't compiled to machine code are inherently slower than the ones who are.
C# is compiled to bytecode and needs an interpreter.
Go produces real executables I think.

>Languages which aren't compiled to machine code are inherently slower than the ones who are.
that's not true
>C# is compiled to bytecode and needs an interpreter.
the methods that the program spends most of its time executing ("hot spots") are compiled to machine code, not interpreted. sufficiently advanced dynamic compilers can often produce better optimized code than ahead-of-time compilers by making further adaptive optimizations

JS for literally everything

And yet, thanks to Xamerian, I see C# as one of the better choices for making a cross platform application

>I was forced to use java for my first 2 years
>I'm too dumb for c++, can't even collect my garbage properly
>wanted to try making a game in unity, no matter how hard this c# may be
>turns out that if you know java, you know c# aswell
>after 3 years, programming was suddenly fun for the first time in my life

Plot twist: became 3d modeler/animator instead, but i have 0 problems scripting/implementing stuff and i understand my programmer buddies and their problems

c# bytecodes can be compiled to native.