How usable is this boy(and PowerBook g4) compared to thinkpad x60/t60? I want to use it with Linux. I'm using i3wm...

How usable is this boy(and PowerBook g4) compared to thinkpad x60/t60? I want to use it with Linux. I'm using i3wm, emacs for some coding (not fizzbuzz), eww for web browsing, cmus and mpv. How fast this guy is in modern world? Are there possibility to use wifi 802.11n? Can I upgrade CPU?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xpBTh7sWgaA&t=709s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Any old shit Core 2 Duo chip will rape a G4.

And what about g5? Can you use double CPU powermac g5 now?

The dual CPU PowerMac G5 is actually slower and less efficient than the Core 2 Duo Mac Mini that came out one year later when Apple transitioned to Intel.

>How usable is this boy(and PowerBook g4) compared to thinkpad x60/t60?
Power architecture, so less
>I want to use it with Linux.
Good luck with that. I haven't found any maintained distros that still support G4. You also have to deal with software compatibility.
>How fast this guy is in modern world?
Not very. Will choke on most video.
>Are there possibility to use wifi 802.11n?
Look for cards by NewerTech.
>Can I upgrade CPU?
This is an Applel product. It's a self-answering question.

>How usable is this boy(and PowerBook g4) compared to thinkpad x60/t60? I want to use it with Linux. I'm using i3wm, emacs for some coding (not fizzbuzz), eww for web browsing, cmus and mpv. How fast this guy is in modern world? Are there possibility to use wifi 802.11n? Can I upgrade CPU?
You need to compile gentoo to have a rolling distro on that one since arch kinda abandoned 32bits

>Core 2 Duo
That was Core Duo, from fucking 2006.

I miss the old days.

>Power architecture, so less
Architecture has nothing to do with it. POWER is still used widely in servers.
It's just a old CPU. That's all.

Btw, G4 is PowerPC, subset of POWER, not POWER itself.

>Good luck with that. I haven't found any maintained distros that still support G4. You also have to deal with software compatibility.
You're not very tech savvy, are you?

Maybe he was talking about the mid 2007 one, it came out a little over a year after the last PowerMac G5.
The Core Duo weren't really that much faster. So it would make sense.

I heard that powermac g5 is pretty useful even now

See
This is true though. So think yourself how useful they are.

A mid class laptop from 2009 will easily beat it in performance while taking several times less power. So yeah.

Well, I obliviously wouldn't use it for bug projects and using web apps, but I can use it for anything else, including surfing is emacs

You can surf in emacs with a Raspberry Pi too. Moot point.

Power Mac is much more stylish, have heritage and actually more powerful than raspberry.

Yeah, an architecture mainly used in servers does fuckall for someone running a desktop OS. And yeah, I know about PowerPC vs POWER, but it was just too pedantic for me to care.
Link one maintained distro that will run on it then.
Perhaps, but I know that the original Intel Mini will wipe the floor with a Power Mac G5. That's why I was implying that G5s were pathetic.

tl;dr they're not good for anything but collecting.

>run powerpc
>no crazy mid-2000 burger court ordered backdoors
clearly some benefit there

why use GNU/Linux on it when you can use Mac OS X Tiger, the best OS through all times?

>Link one maintained distro that will run on it then.

debian

It's crap. And the best of is OS/2

Old so so old apps firefox 15 xD

This guy has been using a powerbook g4 for a while. Seems to be working out. You can't play youtube videos in browser though.

youtube.com/watch?v=xpBTh7sWgaA&t=709s