What's Sup Forums's opinion on trackball mice?

What's Sup Forums's opinion on trackball mice?

After getting one last year, I'm a full-blown convert. I also use it for gaming.

Used to use one with my laptop so that I could mouse in tight spaces without having to trackpad. A family member of mine uses one to avoid wrist pain otherwise caused by normal mice.

Cool for both of those cases.

This has _always_ been the refined choice.

Love 'em!! I have 2 Elecom Trackball mice. One for home workstation, another for my laptop.

Does anyone have recommendations for trackball mice under 50 dollars?

Is it worthwhile to get a used trackball mouse?

>used mice
disgusting

They're awesome

>what is isopropyl alcohol

I got a orbit scroll in 2010 and then a year later I got a M570 and have been using it since then.

I use it for everything which Includes FPS games and am quite content with it.

Only complaint I have are the quality of the buttons on my m570 which I've had to replace 5 or 6 times already. Today there Isn't a single original button on this trackball which includes the middle click and the extra buttons on the side.

is there a trackball mouse without angle snapping?

Just got one for my mini pc hooked up to my bedroom tv, took a risk with an elecom for the extra button placement and tilt wheel. Haven't tried it for gaming yet but it just might replace my overpriced steelseries WOW mouse feels really nice

Kensington orbit with scroll wheel is $30 on Amazon and has good build quality. The Logitech M570 is also cheap but it bad build quality and breaks easily. I've also heard good things about elecom stuff.

Why did you switch to the m570 from the orbit scroll? I made the opposite switch recently when my M570 broke and I'm curious.

I love them, they are better than mice in my opinion. Although CST is kinda a rip off, the build quality is only OK and it's bad for the price, also scroll wheel is unreachable.

Amazing. Got the logitech m570 a few months ago and haven't looked back. I have yet to try a pointer type one though.

Cause the orbit has no middle click and the scroll wheel Isn't Indexed, both things which I used regularly before. That aside I didn't have any problems with the orbit, In fact I don't remember having to replace any buttons on it.

doing it wrong then

Well, if you like tracking balls...

They're addictive.

Logitech marble mouse is one of the cheapest ones. It has four buttons, the two extra buttons are "back" and "forwards" by default I think. You'll probably want to change them so that one of them enables scrolling and one perhaps as a middle click if that's something you like to use.

My M570 broke, too. Started having click problems after only a year. (The wired predecessor [the one with the red ball], meanwhile, lasted me seven or eight years before developing click problems.) Was going to try to fix the button (I was able to get the wired one working again 90% of the time just by opening it up and fiddling it a bit), but my M570 started having wireless connection problems as well, so I don't know if it's worth it to even bother.

I absolutely LOVE this style of trackball, but I wish there was a higher-quality alternative.

I've had four. I still have an M570, but I prefer fingerballs. Right-clicking is a bit harder with them initially. For games with iron sights I usually have them set to toggle instead of hold, and it's not really an issue. Elecom makes decent mice. I have their Trackball Explorer clone, a Logitech Marble mouse, and I had an elecom thumbball.

might get one to so i can replace the analog compaq mouse that im using on my desktop pc now.

every mouse made by logitech is garbage. they are designed for people that dont use their computers.. the buttons will always break after y year of usage and sometimes even faster if you use it more than some facebook normie would.

Yeah, I bought my mom an regular M280 mouse about a year ago and I already had to replace the switches two weeks ago since It wasn't always responding to clicks. Switches going bad this soon really disappointed me.

I usually buy the replacement switches of ebay since I can't seem to find omron switches on reputable electronics parts dealers like digikey and mouser, and have always thought that I probably was buying some chinese knockoff but when I compared the original switches that came in the M280 they looked extremelly similar, even down to the stamp used to print the model number on the switch. That and the fact that even known genuine switches don't last that long makes me think that maybe I have been getting genuine omron switches on ebay and they are just shitty products.

I think I still have the original switches laying around here so i'll try to take a picture of it comparing it to the ones I got off ebay.

Found it. The one on the right and bottom is the ebay one.

>not using the superior pen mouse

looks so kewl! does it glow in the dark?

used it for five minutes. no opinions about it.

why would u post then

They're quite comfy, but good ones are way too expensive and the cheap ones are shit.

I was thinking of getting the Elecom HUGE, it seems like larger trackballs would be really nice for vidya games.

They are until you need to hold down right click, move, and left click. Also some games don't work without a scroll wheel.

This one is basically the one I have with a larger ball. Will be buying it for sure. For fpses with iron sights, as long as you can toggle them, it's not bad. Dota plays fine as well.

With trackballs, you need high sens, not low sens. As a starting point, I'd go with around 3 times what you'd use with a mouse.

The elecom has a scroll wheel and the "left"/"right" main mouse buttons are set up so they can be pressed by other fingers while the first 1/2 fingers move the wheel.

pic related, the buttons are labelled.

Nice, I thought it was more like the marble mouse. I have the smaller version of this, the deft or w/e it is. Will upgrade to the big ball at some point.

>$85
>Ships within 1 to 2 months on Amazon
what the hell

Been using this for 3 years and I'd never want to go back to a mouse. I really like the scrolling function.

Gross

Have used them for years now, will never go back to a regular mouse.
They do take some time to get used to though, but it so worth it!
You aren't limited to sitting at a desk or such, where you need space to move a mouse around

hand fedoras

How hard is it to click and drag things with that? I've only used thumb balls before.

Just as easy as a mouse once you get used to it. I used to have a Kensington Orbit which is a lot cheaper but less accurate and the buttons are spongy and harder to press. Clicking and dragging on that was a bitch.

thumball vs fingerball

Which do you prefer?

I've been using a logitech thumball at work (can't remember the model number) and it's quite nice, but I really want to try a fingerball. Are they worth it?

I almost bought one of these for drawing when I was younger

Never used a thumb ball but I imagine I'd hate it

For workstation use, excellent.
Does not replace a PROPER mouse though.

Finger-operated trackballs are quite nice if they're bigger, you can get a very good range of motion out of them.