/retro/ - old shit incorporated

Welcome to /retro/, post about your oldschool, classic, or obsolete computers and other technology. If its old, we wanna see it.

So I got an offer on my PS/2 from last thread, 100 bucks. Take it or leave it Sup Forums? I only got it for 10 bucks so its already a win, and its a local collector that wants it, not some fag whos gonna gut it for a sleeper.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z-ZLe1-OLpk
vocaroo.com/i/s02bOUNIkrmi
imgur.com/gallery/fkOka
pastebin.com/9LjfT0a6
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Unless you want to fuck with it more go for it. From what you said, it will be in a good home.

Maybe someone can better explain, but why do 2000's Laptops look so ugly compared to 90's and 80's ones? Mains things that happen in the 00's was making laptop's similar which might be factor. Thoughts? Will there one day be an interest in getting them?

Brought this 1988 Halikan LX-20, didn't come with power cord and the port is a DIN-5 with the male end on the laptop. So not sure how I'm going to get it working again.

Also the orginal owner fucking took the ESC off it before delivering. How can I order a new ESC in nearly the same colour as it uses standard mech keyboard switches?

fuck forgot pic

Rounded features were just a trend. Look at early 2000's cars and stereo equipment. If it wasn't silver, lumpy with blue lights, it wasnt cool.

I thought it looked good back then desu. It can be hard to say if a new design becomes timeless.

Though initially he offered me a broken 486 machine and it was a few moments of "what the fuck mang"
Talked him from 80 to 100
Pretty good flip. I should do this more often. With 100 bucks I can empty that junk shop of retro stuff. Bet I could get a decent bit of money for that complete apple II

Japan used to make such comfy computers

orange is the best terminal color

>finally rescue my 755CX from the recesses of my garage after a year of searching for it
>put it on a table while I try to navigate out of the pile of furniture and desktops it was buried in
>absent-mindedly knock it off
>drops 3 feet display-first right on to the concrete floor
>shit self and pick it up
>there's not a scratch on it
>plug it in and it boots up fine, even still has a functional CMOS battery
maybe the thinkpad meme isn't a meme after all
now to find some disks to put OS/2 on it

Does /retro/ know of any good wireless PC cards for Windows 98 laptops?

Don't know if this is good. I got this from a thrift store for either $1.00 or $2.00. It's got drivers for 98SE/2000/ME/XP and there's even a Linux driver.

You may want to look into the used Cisco cards (Aironet), though I don't know how Win98 compatibility is... I have one and its an excellent card for my Win2k Thinkpad T21 being an actual business/enterprise Cisco product instead of some Linksys shit. Lots of work has been done with them, they used to be a big go-to years ago.

>got toshiba laptop from 2000 for free
>battery somehow still holds up to 2 hours
I guess it wasn't used too much, but still strange how it works so well while every other lithium ion battery that old is dead

All PCCards with 802.11g should still have support for it
But check if the slot of your laptop is PCMCIA only, or PCCard. The former only supports really old cards

You also gotta look at the notches. If you see a grounding strip like and , it's CardBus.

Is there a good tool to resize Windows 2000 partitions?

Prepping an OmniBook 900 for an NT4 install and it would be nice if I could just drop SP6 and some utilities on a partition in the disk while I still have USB mass storage support

does it have a dvd drive and can it boot from it? if so, use a vista or 7 dvd and run diskpart

you may want to defrag from windows before resizing.

Parted or GParted.

It doesn't since it's an ultraportable, I'm currently planning to pull out the drive and shove it in an OmniBook XE2
Maybe I should look and see if I can just find the external optical drive for it on eBay, would be useful anyway.
I might give this a try if I have no other options. Thanks.

Hmm, yes, eBay can definitely go fuck itself. Guess I'm going with GParted.

Bump.

Free bump. Love these threads.

youtube.com/watch?v=Z-ZLe1-OLpk

Avaya Wireless Gold works with Windows 98 and PCMCIA 16-bit slots.

>tfw no cutie girlfriend to share retro hobby with

If it's a Protege those things had a run time of something like 8 hours.

Pretty much this.

>Though initially he offered me a broken 486 machine and it was a few moments of "what the fuck mang"
Depends what was broken. There are really nice 486 machines.

Those cards might have 98 drivers, but they won't work in a PCMCIA slot.

MiniTool Partition Wizard for Windows.
This for Linux or Live/CD.

this is strickly a mans hobby

Those things are harder than concrete, I'd be more worried about the floor.

>OMG user, why do you like this old junk? Just get a Mac already!

did... did you make a computer out of cheese?

Yes.

Not true you doofus!

Ahem...

nonsense, womyn dont like old hardware and specially not retro computers
traps dont count

>calls it orange
>not amber

hipsters need a hobby too

Uh oh...
vocaroo.com/i/s02bOUNIkrmi

owo

>so desperate for attension that you go on a /g retro/ thread
go away

No bully, /retro/ is for everyone

Here's the pinout, have fun.

imgur.com/gallery/fkOka

I found this thinkpad where I work, but it has a bios password
i've been trying to reset it but didn't find how to do it anyway

Give it back, Mike

God damn it Damarcus, we talked about this already. Give. It. Back.

Jason, this is Emily's laptop, put it back.

dude, it's a 2004 laptop without even a hard drive
and it's my fathers store
he also doesn't have a clue where he got it

Anything special?

No idea what it is, havent looked into it

Who are you? You don't work here! What are you doing with the laptop?

Fucking hoarder.

He has a showroom with nice working machines, he said he has a bunch of shit like this in his garage though

Looks nice.

pastebin.com/9LjfT0a6

Here's some information about the machine and others from the company.
It has EISA, finding expansions won't be as easy, a 33MHz 486 isn't anything special too, but it's still nice.

Pull the battery and hold the power button for a minute

>AST Research AST Premium 486/33E (1990, desktop PC)
>Original Retail Price: $5,795
>Base Configuration: 33MHz 80486 CPU, 4MB RAM, 5.25-inch floppy drive, parallel and 2 serial ports, 102-key keyboard, 7 EISA expansion slots, IDE controller, 220W power supply
>Video: Super VGA
>Size/Weight: 6.25h x 16.5d x 19.25w inches
>Important Options: 80MB, 110MB, 210MB, 320MB, or 330MB hard drive; SCSI controller, ESDI adapter, MS-DOS 5.0, OS/2 1.21

Maybe it's the SCSI version, even nicer.

If it was working I would be very interested, but he says he cant get it to post
Ill take the cash instead

Yep, it's not worth 100 bucks in such a state.

>he also doesn't have a clue where he got it
That's normal, it's known that old ThinkPads just materialize in tech workshops over time.

Can confirm, IT at an old job once found a previously lost pallet of t42s in the warehouse area
There was like 80 of them there, brought a few home and donated them to the local nerd den where theyre used for lan parties

Is that the Turbo indicator?

Latest acquisition: Gateway 2000 Solo 2100

It's fairly beat up (probably due to all the stuff that was thrown on top of it in ewaste). I checked the hard drive (which still works thankfully) and there is an intact installation of Windows 98 on it, so that's something.

I'm slowly catching 'em all. I got a few 386, 486, and Pentium based laptops. Gotta find some 286 and earlier laptops/luggables.

Give me some mints.

is that an FM Towns?
is it yours?

>is that an FM Towns?
No, it's a UR Downs

>is it yours?
Pic related

>UR Downs
Topkek.

>UR Downs

no bully

*gives you a handful of case screws from altoid tin*

Thanks Mr.Training edge of technology.
Straight into my screws bin they go.

How would one go on about acquiring a PC-98 machine?

Fuck off whore

m'lady, please be my girlfriend

>girlfriend
>not retro friends with benefits

i bet you're a super ugly nerd bitch

are you trying to make her post pics?

yahoo auctions

Good idea, gonna get myself one of those sweet PC-98 laptops made by NEC.

Suck off a hardcore collector?

I wanted one of these for my vaporwave room, the problem with those NEC machines is that they were really popular in Mori Sekei CNC machines, so the ones online are inflated industry prices for companies looking for identical replacements.
The plus side to that, if you can pay the 700-3000$ for one, they come fucking mint, full restorations are usually done by large resellers

Similar, but much newer, we have a few HAAS machines that run on SGI indys, and when the sgi finally kicked the bucket, we mailed it off to some guy and got a replacement that looked brand new. My boss said it cost 2300$
But my god, a maxed Indy in mint condition

Not really. Just buy one from Japan, you can get a PC-98 desktop or laptop for around 200-300 bucks with postage (depending where you live).

>700-3000$ for one
Made me spill my kekerony.

>we have a few HAAS machines that run on SGI indys
Where Indys common during the 90's? Where they expensive? From what little I know, it sounds silly to manufacture CNC machines with obscure/uncommon hardware. I mean I guess i can understand standard controllers might not cut it for 5 axis lathes and such but still, unless that shit wasn't standardize yet in the 90's.

>not living in Japan

I can walk to hardoff right now and buy garbage pc-98s to sell to you

The HAAS machines have live 3D displays of what the machine is doing and even show indicators for tool strain and multi point laser temperature scans. Gimmicky shit, but needed a somewhat powerful machine at the time
Also, its common practice for CNC manufacturers to jew it up by loading their controllers with excessive hardware in order to make it seem more expensive. The much newer BTB machines have 2nd gen i5's and i7's, GTX 470's and 16gb of ram in them. And they literally ran XP and only needed to display a basic 2D gui that's mainly pictures and text. BTB charges nearly 15000$ for the consoles if they break out of warranty.

No

pls be gf

>The HAAS machines have live 3D displays of what the machine is doing and even show indicators for tool strain and multi point laser temperature scans.
Makes sense.
>Also, its common practice for CNC manufacturers to jew it up by loading their controllers with excessive hardware in order to make it seem more expensive.
I was told that Fanuc likes to charge out the ass for simple g and m codes and routines which are already baked into the controller, basically the equivalent to on disc dlc.
>The much newer BTB machines have 2nd gen i5's and i7's, GTX 470's and 16gb of ram in them.
I don't know what our mori seikis are are using, but it's obvious they're running windows, they're slow as shit and theres a delay between menus.

>

They weren't exactly Intel PCs but they were one of the more common pleb workstations in the mid-90s. They were, IIRC, single 100MHz MIPS boxes, but respectably snappy in usage and highly aesthetic.