Is Git actually useful or can it be replaced with basic file management?

is Git actually useful or can it be replaced with basic file management?

Other urls found in this thread:

harmful.cat-v.org/software/svn/
harmful.cat-v.org/software/svn/diagnosing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

people used to do just that. there's a reason git is popular

why is it popular

Are you retarded or have never coded in a collaborative environment?

git is still a college and ruby meme, real devs use centralized scms.

what's a good scm to use, i've never been in a collaborative environment

Very short projects basic file mananger, collaborative or long proyects git.

nvm that reply was stupid

Ignore Sup Forums, use svn and call it a day.

It is KISS, while git is literally overkill for 99.9% of projects that use it. In 2017, there's no need to worry about git's distributed model. The devs from the wikileaks era pushed for it, and now people consider it modern. It isn't.

Theo, pls

He's memeing. Git is perfectly fine and used internally by numerous companies. It's not great, but it is good and has a well-structured design that lets other programs interact with it without fucking things up. Emacs lets you handle version control transparently for example.

Once you learn git, there's no reason not to use git.

>svn
Even fucking cvs is better than this crap.
Just use git, there is no reason not to.

>what is version control
No it can't be replaced by "basic file management".

What is bad about svn? Seriously?

Fucking flash devs who learned go adopted git because steve jobs killed their shitty language before he died. Seriously ex-flash devs are cancer.

i just set up a folder on my google drive and upload all my files to it when im done coding

harmful.cat-v.org/software/svn/

git existed before go

look at OpenBSD's CVS, they really made CVS not suck and codebase is simple as usual

subversion is better

OpenBSD is fucking shit.

The entire point of git is that it has a simple and sensible design that doesn't hinder complex projects. Using it for simple projects is easy as fuck, and most modern dev tools can interact with git repos without any special configuration.
Subversion is an obtuse mess. There is absolutely no reason to use it. Git was made for a reason.

so you never bothered to learn git, right?

>social coding
Git is good, Github isn't.

your (cat-v's) argument on subversion is two mailing list posts taken out of context where one developer says the code is ugly and another developer argues a piss poor argument for switching to it.

There's really no content or examples to them, just arguments.

I know it did, I projected a little. What I mean though is that the industry turned at that time and people are ass-backwards because of it. Those who were going to be left behind adopted things they didn't need to, git being one of them. If you're actually working on a large codebase, git may be a better tool. If you're working with a small team, svn makes more sense.

Plus, that article is from 2002. That opinion even back then was subjective. Google used svn after that time period.

It also contains some links, including harmful.cat-v.org/software/svn/diagnosing

also from the same people who wrote this:

>Alternatives to GCC:
>Ken Thompson’s cross-compilers collection.
>Write your code in Go instead.

yes but literally everything is on github

No

I did, but the adoption arguments were "its just better xDD" while svn did the job fine. All of the tools popped up because it was trendy. Git clients are kind of heresy as well.

Either way OP, use svn if you want simple redundancy or use git and be a faggot who doesn't understand why they're doing something.

ok

This

>The devs from the wikileaks era pushed for it
What the fuck is that even supposed to mean?

>Git clients are kind of heresy as well.
No they aren't. The majority of people who use git use it through their editor/IDE.

>Fucking flash devs who learned go adopted git because steve jobs killed their shitty language before he died
......What?

Because you don't have to deal with a million different folders on a network and you can make sure everyone works on the same code instead of manually changing files in different folders.

Once you actually git gud at git, it becomes incredibly powerful and useful.
The ability to create cheap local branches is extremely useful and makes working with other people MUCH easier.

So? Nobody is making you put your code on github. Mine isn't.

Some older systems like VMS have inbuilt version history for regular filesystem.

>Literally everything
Oh you sweet summer child

I travel for work so have to use multiple PCs. BitBucket and Mercurial make things a breeze.

>>Some older systems like VMS have inbuilt version history for regular filesystem.
An awful way to do it.

i dont like it. i just want to have the source files on my computer and edit them with a text editor when needed without getting some stupid repo error every time.

t. moron
Distributed ones are KISS since there is no server to run and all history is stored locally for gas operations. No one is forcing you to actually use the distributed features.

>i just want to have the source files on my computer and edit them with a text editor when needed without getting some stupid repo error every time.
Nigger what the fuck are you doing? If you have a git repo and just want to edit files while ignoring version control, you can do that. Just don't use git, it won't give you errors if you don't use it.

Also it's piss easy to use, so you must be low-IQ if it's throwing errors in your face every time you use it.

usually i just get my programs in tarballs. i dont really have any reason to learn advanced git things. clone and pull is all i have ever needed from it.

I use Tortoise

Okay... good for you? A mere consumer of software indeed has little use for git.

I wager anyone here talking shit about git has probably never completed more than a basic HTML tutorial

where to learn git?
pdf?

Mercurial just works and is very easy to use. For the site I'd just use bitbucket, which hosts both git and mercurial repos.

Start with man gittutorial

I'm sure you can find some decent 30minute lecture on youtube explaining it all. It's pretty simple, you can get the basics down quickly.

Hg is more complicated and has weirdness around local branches for reasons that shouldn't exist. Also learning Hg is a waste of your time since git won.

Git is good.

Github is not.

Github's code isn't even available on Github.

>Github's code isn't even available on Github.
mind = blown

Fossil.

This but unironically.

Well, I actually steered my team away from git because of the ssh vulnerabilities around the time everyone was switching to git because of what we were working on pre-death of ie6 (still, fuck you chinks nevar forget). We stayed on non-standard ports and had firewall rules like normal godfearing dev teams.

Eat shit all you hipster fags.