Cleaning bots

Are self-vacuuming bots worth it?
I don't really have a problem with vacuuming myself, but I figured it'd be kinda neat to have this machine that auto-cleans my room occasionally.

I just want to know if anyone has experience with them.

Get one that uses an algorithm to determine the path rather than ones that just randomly go about

newer roombas are mapping you're home and selling the data.

when i had one it was obnoxiously loud on wood floors, and always got caught in cables that weren't neatly tucked away.

How do I know which ones use pathfinding? Does it say

>newer roombas are mapping you're home and selling the data.
Wouldn't that require some type of external connection to the outside? I'm sure it's possible to disable telemetry data on it.

Also, how do you know that data isn't being used to better tweak the algorithms, so that it can find problematic setups and therefore have workarounds for it?

If that data is being used to help a tech company build better algos, then I'm all for it.

>doesn't go around objects
you'll find it stuck under a couch.
this is why you don't take advice from anonymous shitposters on forums on the internet on this gay earth on this shitty plane of existance on and on it goes

>you'll find it stuck under a couch.
if i had a dollar for everytime it got stuck on something and didn't do it's job i could buy 2 more roombas.

nypost.com/2017/07/25/roomba-maker-wants-to-sell-your-homes-floor-plan/

Everything is botnet now days, why even fight it

>Everything is botnet now days, why even fight it
That's what they're counting on. That they will wear you down until you accept that it is a losing battle to resist. I feel you.

I have a botvac so I have more time to shitpost

>Everything is botnet now days, why even fight it

you know who else had that attitude? 1930's germany, reguarding the nazis. do you want to be on the right side of history user?

amazon and all the other companies are shilling us cheap wares and then turning us into a product in return. the corporations own us now and we say thank you and keep feeding them money and data to sell for more money.

think of it like gay sex user, to you want to be the one fucking or being fucked?

>think of it like gay sex user, to you want to be the one fucking or being fucked?
Who is wearing the programming socks?

both of you are wearing socks because he has hardwood floors but the house was remodled before there was a reliable sub-floor heating system available.

The newer roombas with the cameras can only see about 3ft off the ground and the data is stored on the server for the robot to access later but never viewed externally. Source: I know that it's hard to believe, but I work at iRobot.

Sounds like Neato has a small battery.

Get on the floor and look at something three feet off the ground right in front of you. Now look slightly to the side of it and tell me how high up the walls you can see on the far side of the room.

I assume that the rules of trigonometry still apply at iRobot, yes?

Sounds like hell desu

>Get on the floor and look at something three feet off the ground right in front of you.
Is this to better simulate getting fucked by the botnet?

Is it insane to think that irobot's servers could just get "hacked" one day?

>data is stored on the server for the robot to access later
wouldn't it make more sense to store the maps on the device itself? why do i need my fucking vacuum cleaner using my wifi?

what happens if the device runs without wifi? my shitty att uverse crashes atleast once a day, so what if the wifi goes down with roomba running?

what about if i rearrange my floor plan for cleaning purposes, like move my couch so roomba can get under it. if it relies on a preprogramed map wouldn't it instinctivly ignore that spot?

>muh ebil notsees

I'm okay with it because it makes it easier to not buy complete garbage. A robot that vacuums your floor is cool in concept but the reality is that it can only do one floor and it struggles to even do multiple rooms. You'll still have to vacuum/sweep anyway so is it really worth it? Would your life really be any better with something like this?

>Is it insane to think that irobot's servers could just get "hacked" one day?
It would be insane not to.
When, not if.

>get roomba
>don't give it my wifi password
>living in neighborhood where nobody is dumb enough to not have a password on their wifi

now it's impossible for it to spy on me

Then give up and show me your penis

I have a ~850 sq ft one bed room apt with tile floors. I hate stepping on random dirt and I'm too lazy to vacuum everyday. My little vacuum guy is 100% worth it, I have him go everyday while I'm at work and just empty out it's bin once a week. Flawless

>tfw you have to rearrange all your furniture so your stupid roomba doesn't get stuck

>tfw i still haven't gotten around to building my own roomba
One of these days.

The only way to ensure your tech is good and not exploiting you is to build it yourself. Hoard Arduinos.

I had a 1st gen roomba I wanted to repair and it was so oddly designed with gears and stuff I threw it away.

They really shit on the competitors

My dirt devil fusion is great for cat hair but long hair gets tangled in the brushes and stops them from rotating over time.

Both of those ARE algorithms you fucking dipshit.

Any recs?