/pcbg/ PC Building General - waifu edition

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

raptorcs.com/TALOSII/
pcpartpicker.com/list/G6DYD8
overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_s_bristol_ridge_apus_are_set_to_hit_retail_by_august_18th/1
newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128999
pcpartpicker.com/list/KsNbPs
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-660-vs-AMD-R7-370/2162vs3571
pcpartpicker.com/list/N7DPpb
pcpartpicker.com/list/nY6GZ8
pcpartpicker.com/list/nXmXwV
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820236039
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822235011
pcpartpicker.com/list/d26CRG
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for

>tfw no asus vega 56 card

>not buying a reference card so you can liquid cool later on

what graphic card is best for 3440x1440p 100hz?

What CPU and Graphics card do you recomend for this Samsung CF791 3440x1440p 100hz whit quantum dot?

Why liquid cool? Is fan not good for reference?

what do u think of talos II? should I get one?
raptorcs.com/TALOSII/

pcpartpicker.com/list/G6DYD8

Built in 2015, when to upgrade? Running Win 7

Threadly reminder that the AM4 Bristol Ridge CPUs will be released in less than two weeks which will have overclockable quad cores for cheaper than a G4560 as well as better iGPU performance and a hundred times better upgrade path and future proofing.

overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_s_bristol_ridge_apus_are_set_to_hit_retail_by_august_18th/1

It's still based on bulldozer though. :/
the real APUs to be excited for are the Raven Ridge APUs coming next year

Will GPU prices drop anytime soon or should I just buy something shitty like a 1050 in the meantime?

Yes, and? If you can show me any better CPU with overclockable quad cores and some of the best iGPU performance around on a modern platform for 50 bucks then I'm sure a lot of people in here would be interested

Just buy a used 970 or 980 or something

1050? just buy a shitty 980

When do you think the 1180 Ti will come out?

Not anytime soon. Volta is releasing soon™ but for consumer cards you're gonna have to wait next year.

Do we have any idea when the VEGA Nano is coming out and how much it'll cost

Volta for video games next year?

Most likely to be around the same time as the 1080 last year. Just wait until people start the new shitpost cycle about the convenient "leaks" that will surface near the announcement. I bet Nvidia "leaks" these things just to create hype.

How much of a performance increase would I see from going 3570k to R7 1700?

>I got like $4,000 to make a stupid-powerful build
>i9 18 core
>32-64 gb of ram of ddr4
>can hold off on the gpu and use one i already have until miners stop fucking us
>cant. find. a. single. case.

>i9

yes. i9.
For work. Gaming too I guess.

caring about gpu prices with that budget

>
forgot my meme arrow

I know I can just give in but I already have a recent gpu on me that can hold me out on my upgrade path. I don't need everything at once you know and $700+ that -can- be lower sounds better.

Anyways, cases?

Just because you have money doesn't mean you can be stupid.

Rich doesn't have to always mean "I can afford to make mistakes".

Get Epyc you brain dead mong.
>for work
Learn this shit so then you're of use for once in your fucking life.

Lian-Li PC series? Cosmos II?

what size?
rice build or sleek?

>Lian-Li
These look pretty nice

no need for rice/sleek but would be to have peripheral to functionality and great for airflow and air-cooling as this might be seeing some huge uptime during projects

/pcbg/ help!

I saw a small bug crawling on my screen, so I squished it. Turns out, however, the bug was INSIDE of my screen, and now I can't get it out!

How do I remove a bug from underneath the plastic panel of an ASUS VS248?

newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128999

Just picked this up. How would this get along with Windows 7?

You're FUCKED

I-I don't think I can afford another 150€ screen and I can't live with this bug permanently on it. I think I might just kill myself over this.

Oops, look like you've encountered a bug! Please contact technical support.

you're bugging out my man

RIP user and his ASUS

Dumb frogposter.

I'm waiting for my case, keyboard/mouse, and GPU to arrive but I've got all the other parts of this build pcpartpicker.com/list/KsNbPs

Should I put the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and power supply together tonight out of boredom?

Will putting the motherboard on it's box and pressing parts into it damage the underside?

Will it be a problem trying to put it all into the case without taking it back apart?

Also, on the motherboard there are 4 RAM slots, I know you're supposed to space the sticks by one empty slot, but there's a black pair of slots and a red pair, does it matter which ones I put them in?

>bug inside screen

If a bug could crawl inside it you can surely take it apart to try and clean it off.

Even if you end up breaking the moniter it's better than wasting money on a new one when you could've fixed it.

thou shall not kill

Goodbye, anons. It's been a blast. It's alright, I've been dead inside for a long time now. Farewell.

>removing metal bezels
just let him kill himself hell be better off

Looking for a decent 2-3 TB HDD, any brands to stay away from with these sizes?

Speaking of monitors, something's been bugging me lately. I need a good monitor for watching anime and playing FPS. Just bought a gaming rig with a R7 and RX580 tonight, so would it be worth getting a 4K monitor?

Should I buy a GTX 1050 Ti SC? Or is there something better for the same money?

Anime is still in 720p and your 580 won't be good enough. Just fall for the ultrawide meme.

Freesync or 144hz

Both. Would be helpful if you explained why you're asking.

wait until all of your parts come in.

My H100i came with a stripped screwhole (resulting in unnecessary noise) and it's been a few years since I bought it, what's a good replacement? Should I stick with liquid or go air-cooled?

Trying to choose between
LG 29UM68-P +Vega or BenQ XR350 +Volta

By the time you finish waiting for Volta you should have the cash for a G-sync display. It just depends how long you're willing to wait.

Didn't /pcbg/ have it's own Partpicker page?

>Tfw building a poorfag build and the RAM is the most expensive component
And yes, I do need 16GB RAM because I'm going to use it for photography, video and music production, I'm just going to upgrade the CPU and GPU later.

Anyways, does it matter if you get one of those PCIe Wifi cards or can you get by with just a USB Wifi dongle?

how the heck do i compare graphics cards? im trying to play playerunknowns battleground with a AMD Radeon R7 370 and it runs like garb. it recommends an nVidia GeForce GTX 660. how big of a power gap is there between those two cards?

Asmr asian waifu builds PC when?

I've seen the TP-Link TL-WN722N recommended for wifi.

>I'm just going to upgrade the CPU and GPU later.

Someone made fun of me earlier for having more expensive RAM on my build than the CPU. You gotta do what works for your goals. If I wanted to make an anime-watching rig, then I might conceivably spend more money on hard drives than on a CPU, or RAM, or GPU, or whatever.

Cosmos 2?

what is a recommended hard drive? I know HGST is usually suggested.

I have a Thinkpad X230 as my main computer right now so I'm just trying to build something that performs better than this for as cheap as possible so I can upgrade it later.

i think it's just bad on your end overall. it is not very optimized game.
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-660-vs-AMD-R7-370/2162vs3571

Seagate 2TB 7200RPM

Seagate is junk

PSU with 1200w or more, what's a good one?
My current one broke and the RMA will literally take 14weeks, i've already waited a month, i'm tired of waiting.

and yes i do need a big one, i am doing alot of custom shit

thinking of getting the "Corsair HX1000i"

blower coolers are generally louder and hotter than ideal. GPU brackets and AIOs can be had relatively cheaply.

Salvaging an X51-R2 user, here.

I'm thinking I'll wait for some DDR3 @ 1600 to go on sale. Digging into sale history they seemingly do still go on sale, so it's worth limping on 4GB to get 16GB for what I'd pay for 8 normally.

Monitor-wise, I have not a damn clue. Have a 27" 60hz 1080p monitor coming through Fed-Ex, but I'm unsure I'll be keeping that given the size and the 60hz. Been doing a lot of reading to figure out what all this new shit means. Can't wait for 2160p, though. That sounds sexy.

Plan to wait for my ideal case. Hoping to find something with good front ventilation so I can exhaust things frontward and use it as a heater, but that's just a dumb idea.

Debating a 550W EVGA gold-rated PSU for $80. Has a $20 MIR to bring it down to $60. Paid $120 for a 620W Corsair PSU in ages past, so that seems good.

Also looking at an EVGA GTX 1050 Ti of one sort or another to replace the GTX 745 in this. Just waiting for sales.

Should I put in a crappy decade old graphics card for a week once the case and keyboard arrive or will that somehow be a pain in the ass when I need to switch it out for the new one?

I'm gonna get a GTX 1050 ti but the last one I bought showed up used without the box despite being advertised as new, so I'm waiting for refund money to order one.

neat website, thanks. im thinking of returning the game just cus of how bad it runs.

The thoughts so far.

pcpartpicker.com/list/N7DPpb

pcpartpicker.com/list/nY6GZ8

I posted this yesterday but no response. I want to build a stupid fucking awesome custom loop as a showcase, but I don't know which case to put it in. Don't recommend me that plebe shit either.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/N7DPpb
pcpartpicker.com/list/nXmXwV

this is better

I own most of the shit in that first build. I already have the motherboard, CPU, DVD drive, and HDD. I'm reboxing them. But to rebox them from Alienware's slim midget case I need a proper PSU.

The core of things may be replaced in time, but my intent is to get the ship out of drydock as cheaply as possible.

PCIe Wifi cards are much better in my experience

As cheaply as possible without compromising things, that is. Compromises fuck everything up.

>Debating a 550W EVGA gold-rated PSU for $80.
Hope its not the supernova NEX

"EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply"

what's the highest resolution crt you can get at at least 60hz?

Phanteks genthoo primo

Massive watercooling case. Has space for two 480 mm rads and the bottom one can be as thick as you want

So, question. The RX 560 is the equivalent to the GTX 1050? But it's totally sold out because of cryptosporidiots?

So I got like 5meters if Ethernet cable left and my desktop is like 10cm away. What can I do to make my cables not look like shit? Is there a specific way I can wrap them or tie them??? Pic related

under carpet or behin pc

what is the highest end CPU/GPU that can max out VR games?
i feel like 1080ti is just a litttle overkil

just get a 1080ti dumbass, you can afford it if you're faling for the vr meme

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820236039

On sale, and on the Ryzen QVL

Also on sale

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822235011

Is there a way to add more SATA data ports to my computer without getting a new motherboard

just coil the excess neatly in a circle and twist-tie/zip-tie it in place

Are the prices of 1080tis set to drop at all with the release of vega on the 14th? Anyone have any idea?

Nah, they won't. Vega competes with 1080's (64) and 1070 (56), novidya already cut the price of 1080 when 1080ti came out. There won't be any price drops at all.

I have an i7 7700k & 1080 ti

Should I go for 4k monitor or 1440p/144hz monitor?

Since a desktop build is off the cards, its kind of tempting to go for an APU based HTPC project.

I've wanted an excuse to use a Streacom Case for ages.

pcpartpicker.com/list/d26CRG
Second rig for streaming 1080p/60 using a capture card, any suggestions for trimming it drown?

Not really sure what i'll actually need and what's overkill for purely streaming from capture.

hey guys, i remember i got a pirated version of windows 6 months ago or so when i finished my build, but i'm now getting the activate windows popup again. Anyone have a link to where I can get it again?

>18 cores
for what purpose, are you rendering a movie for pixar or some shit?
just get a 7700k, most games can't even use more than four cores anyways

>32-64 gigs of ram
You will never use this much ram for anything, ever
You will probably never even use 16 gigs.
Just get 16 gigs of 3200mhz ram.

Any good options for a Ryzen mITX build yet?

> Just get an "i7 7700k" he said, you dont need more than 4 cores he said

OY VEY GOYIM