/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread - You wouldn't wanna be hopeless in your parents' basement edition

Previous thread: can't find it

Welcome to /flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread!

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Linux and share their experiences.

Before you faggots start spamming "euhhehhu it's Ganoo/Linucks praise the almighty rms who eats from thy foot", I think that we should at least stop forcing people to install Gentoo and install Ubuntu then gradually level up to the /fglt/

*** Please be civil, PLEASE FUCKING NOTICE THE "FRIENDLY" in every Friendly Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

Every /flt/

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

Other urls found in this thread:

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Debian_Stretch
wiki.debian.org/systemd#Installing_without_systemd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

bump

Anyone know if Xubuntu uses systemd? I can't find any info on this and their IRC is asleep

AFAIK -Everything- uses systemd except Gentoo and some of its derivatives, Slackware, and the ultra-lightweight stuff like Puppy Linux and Tiny Core. Debian lets you opt out. I don't think anybody else lets you opt out, but I might be wrong about that.

Use virtualization to try distros out if you're curious about them.

thanks for this, so during thr install process debian asks you if you want systemd? is this correct?

I'm not sure whether or not you can do it during installation, but it's easy to do afterwards. It's in the wiki. I recently installed Debian on a friend's laptop and didn't see the option in the normal graphical installer, but there are more advanced installation modes that I'm not as familiar with.

i am suspicious of your shit be cause devuan exists

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Debian_Stretch
wiki.debian.org/systemd#Installing_without_systemd

I only use Debian on a VPS, which I upgraded to Jessie a long time ago. When I upgraded it I was given the option to switch to systemd or keep using sysvinit. I chose the latter and have been using it like that without trouble ever since. I do have some systemd components installed on that system, unlike my Gentoo systems, but I'm not using it as the init process. I think removing it completely would be possible, and I don't think it would prevent you from receiving community support, which is more than I would expect of other distros. As I said, though, I could be wrong about that.

The wiki says that removing it may limit your options regarding desktop environments, but the same is true of Gentoo, or at least it used to be. The rise of systemd was the reason I stopped using desktop environments, years after I had switched to Gentoo on all of my personal machines. Now I just use openbox, a dock, and a lot of shell scripts, which is actually why I'm here: I'm trying to configure XFCE for my friend and I'm having trouble.

(Who took out the /t/ links? Those were good.)

Everything is going GNOME it seems, are you guys already using GNOME or planning to switch soon? Only thing keeping me back is how it uses a ridiculous amount of RAM on Ubuntu GNOME by default.

Is Fedora any better? Or Debian?
And are people using GNOME with Wayland now?

Separately, does NixOS/GuixSD effectively obsolete Vagrant-type devops shit?

thanks man this thread helped me

finally a thread without GNU communism

Is crontab the correct way to create a new cron job? I just want to run fstrim once a week.

Is there a way to add a "Date Taken" column to this so I can sort by what day the picture was actually taken rather than edited?

>noobuntu
install alpine, it just works

People said the same thing about Noobuntu and I can't even install the latest version of my software, Have to stick to Software center, simply because some devs are too retarded to provide a .deb or functioning tarball

Hey, I'm looking to build my own distro (either ubuntu or debian) but novo-builder doesn't work anymore. What can I do?

Use the fstrim service file

Stay away from communist GNU distros.
Look into Alpine Linux or Sabotage Linux.
Just perfect for everything and free from jewish ideology.

Why the fuck do people like to shill for OpenRC garbage? Runit is miles better than OpenRC yet this "Artix" decided to use the inferior one.

How is it better? Never used either.

thanks for this reply, i was just curious. i had found this same article. however i'm happily switched back to openbsd now where i don't have to deal with sny of this bullshit

Is there a file manager that has thumbnails for folders with image media inside them?

halp i change hostname on debian and it broke

This is Little Snitch for OSX... looking for something like this but for Linux...

>install antergos because I want to try pacman and the glorious AUR
>try to install something
>it failed because of unkown public key
>add public key manually
>gpg: keyserver receive failed: General error
Fuck this shit, fucking broken distro.

You should just use arch.

Installation is fucking stupid.

Base install is around 10 commands.

iftop and Wireshark allow you to monitor all traffic coming out of your machine.

>recommending shitty GAHNOOO distros
install alpine

I successfully compiled and installed stumpwm but when I boot into it none of the keybinds work.

kek

Nevermind. I just tried the actual release version and it works fine.

How do I change my DNS server?

resolv

Try GPA, it's made for retards like you and me

/etc/resolv.conf

That is only if you have resolvconf, the program
default is /etc/resolv

I use GNOME on Arch. GNOME itself works super well on Wayland but a lot of other things don't run well in Wayland OR XWayland, so I stick with Xorg for now. I've got Chrome, Thunderbird, Firefox, and an Electron application running on top of gnome-shell and I'm still under 4.5GB used, so I'd say on any reasonably modern system (>=4GB RAM) GNOME is an option.

NixOS/GuixSD doesn't obsolete devops-y shit. You can use config management for desktops (suck it, AD), routers and switches (Cisco has an Ansible interface now), and traditional Linux distros that actually offer paid support.

Is there a way to run bash scripts without installing that shitty GAHNOO commie shell?

No. The file manager doesn't understand photo metadata. That's just reading stuff off the filesystem (name, size, last edited, etc.). You can use a dedicated photo browsing application and sort by EXIF data.

Opensnitch is in the works but currently undergoing a major rewrite. It'll be just about the same when it's done.

>using GNU software
found the problem

Kill your terminal and start a new one, or just export HOST properly.

The Gtk3 stuff is the best supported under Wayland. It's Qt, Gtk2, and WINE that need X fallback.

nice. can't fucking wait.

What's wrong with GNU?

Nothing; you accidently the wrong thread.
Sup Forums-free thread is here:

>Sup Forums-free
kek'd. GNU and worship of that communist cultist is literally politics and ideology. GNU has nothing to do with technology and everything to do with ideology.
now fuck off, commie scum.

I hopped from Bunsen Labs to Debian with LXDE.

I really miss how lightweight BL was, and I'm about to switch back. But before I do, does Sup Forums have a lightweight, quick distro they prefer?

arch+fluxbox

does any of you use 100% free software?
if yes, how do you post on Sup Forums? reCAPTCHA is a bitch

Is there any reason to install arch forks like manjaro antergos?
AFAIK they both broke on me.
I'm installing arch now. should I remove systemd

use legacy catcha

>broke
Dont use downstream distros,they have no reason to exist.
>systemd
Yes, its on the wiki how to remove it

we don't give a fuck about stallmanist ideology

I'm preparing a new /home hard drive. What's the filesystem of the month?

ext4

ZFS is finally in Debian-main, but really only makes sense with 2+ drives.

Install Apline without-GNU/Linux

Add your hostname to /etc/ hosts (point it to 127.0.0.1)

So I've fucked around with linux on my laptop so I'm not completely new but I'm not install Gentoo tier good. I want to dualboot my main machine but I can't decide between Arch, Debian or Xubuntu.

i just installed debian 9 on my t43, im using xfce but after i login nothing shows up, just the background and the mouse is able to move, ive waited ~20 minutes and nothing happens

Updating arch:

(651/651) checking for file conflicts [##########################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
qt5-quickcontrols: /usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/BusyIndicator.qmlc exists in filesystem
qt5-quickcontrols: /usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Button.qmlc exists in filesystem
qt5-quickcontrols: /usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/CheckBox.qmlc exists in filesystem
qt5-quickcontrols: /usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Menu.qmlc exists in filesystem
qt5-quickcontrols: /usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/AbstractCheckable.qmlc exists in filesystem
qt5-quickcontrols: /usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/BasicButton.qmlc exists in filesystem
qt5-quickcontrols: /usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/CalendarUtils.jsc exists in filesystem
qt5-quickcontrols: /usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/ColumnMenuContent.qmlc exists in filesystem
qt5-quickcontrols: /usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/Control.qmlc exists in filesystem
qt5-quickcontrols: /usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/EditMenu.qmlc exists in filesystem
qt5-quickcontrols: /usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/EditMenu_base.qmlc exists in filesystem
qt5-quickcontrols: /usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/FastGlow.qmlc exists in filesystem
qt5-quickcontrols: /usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/FocusFrame.qmlc exists in filesystem
qt5-quickcontrols: /usr/lib/qt/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Private/MenuContentItem.qmlc exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

don't fall for the GNU meme, install Alpine

You installed another package that provides the same files, or you didnt use pacman when you installed that package so you have files that arent in the pacman db
This is all user error

>arch
found your problem

...and i am compiling mpv?
X86ASM libavcodec/x86/pngdsp.o
CC libavcodec/x86/pngdsp_init.o
STRIP libavcodec/x86/pngdsp.o
CC libavcodec/x86/proresdsp_init.o
X86ASM libavcodec/x86/proresdsp.o
X86ASM libavcodec/x86/qpel.o
STRIP libavcodec/x86/proresdsp.o
STRIP libavcodec/x86/qpel.o
CC libavcodec/x86/qpeldsp_init.o
X86ASM libavcodec/x86/qpeldsp.o
X86ASM libavcodec/x86/rv34dsp.o
STRIP libavcodec/x86/rv34dsp.o
CC libavcodec/x86/rv34dsp_init.o
X86ASM libavcodec/x86/rv40dsp.o
STRIP libavcodec/x86/qpeldsp.o
CC libavcodec/x86/rv40dsp_init.o
STRIP libavcodec/x86/rv40dsp.o
X86ASM libavcodec/x86/sbrdsp.o
STRIP libavcodec/x86/sbrdsp.o
CC libavcodec/x86/sbrdsp_init.o
STRIP libavcodec/x86/hevc_mc.o
CC libavcodec/x86/snowdsp.o
X86ASM libavcodec/x86/svq1enc.o
STRIP libavcodec/x86/svq1enc.o
CC libavcodec/x86/svq1enc_init.o
X86ASM libavcodec/x86/synth_filter.o
CC libavcodec/x86/synth_filter_init.o
STRIP libavcodec/x86/synth_filter.o
CC libavcodec/x86/takdsp_init.o
X86ASM libavcodec/x86/takdsp.o
X86ASM libavcodec/x86/simple_idct10.o
STRIP libavcodec/x86/takdsp.o
CC libavcodec/x86/ttadsp_init.o
X86ASM libavcodec/x86/ttadsp.o
STRIP libavcodec/x86/ttadsp.o
X86ASM libavcodec/x86/ttaencdsp.o
CC libavcodec/x86/ttaencdsp_init.o
STRIP libavcodec/x86/ttaencdsp.o

>download void linux XFCE edition
>install it
>it didn't install XFCE nor xserver
Fuck this shit and fuck the neckbeards that think it's ok to waste time manually configuring shit for no reason other than pointless elitism.

>void
install alpine instead, works flawlessly

>install alpine
>have to configure everything to get a normal 21st century OS
Fuck that.

Try Sabotage Linux

Anyone used GalliumOS? Heard it's pretty good for putting on Chromebooks.

>install it
>boots on terminal with 0 (zero) UI
->

maybe windows is more your thing?

Xubuntu

so are the non-GNU distros really non-GNU? i read that they just dont follow the GNU manifesto but it is still GNU/linux...
i want that commie fuck out of my computer

Have you run uname -o today?

:~/m$ uname -o
GNU/Linux

what kind of shit is this? re: pic
where from?
why?

on the day the idiot in chief threatens NK with nuclear annihilation

which also happens to be the anniversary of nagasaki

question "how do I change my DNS server" .. the question is nothing

this is 'political spam / marketing' from the office of the dickhead in chief, trump probably

morons for trump

FUCK OFF

you alright there dude?

Write a script that reads the exif data and prepends the filenames with timestamps in the format YYMMDD, and then sort by name.

How do I run a GUI program after I've extracted and compiled it from source? Pic related

So I am running Centos 7 on my server, I've been trying to run pfsense under qemu, but my WAN bridge doesn't give an IP to pfsense whatever I do. If I attach the host, it does get my WAN IP.
What am I missing. I've tried reinstalling host, different adapter modes. Nothing I do let's my VM connect to the net. The internal LAN bridge works perfectly fine.
My WAN interface is enslaved to the bridge.
Any RHEL masters here that can help.

>(No game)
as expected of GNU software

I heard there were some kernel issues with the new ryzen motherboards, so I want to know if I'll run into problems installing Mint w/KDE on an ASUS B350-F Strix; I can't find anyone having issues on google, but maybe I've missed something.

Also, theoretical situation:
Suppose you're paranoid about pol ice confiscating your computer and planting illegal material on it; would it be possible to generate some kind of cryptographically signed hash for the volume so you can contest in court about planted evidence by comparing your original signed hash vs the hash generated from the computer in police custody and showing that the difference means they added information to the volume that wasn't originally there?

Encryption would be a last resort measure since in my country I can be held in contempt of court indefinitely until I turn over any passwords. (e.g. if I legit forget my password on my encrypted drive I can be jailed for the rest of my life)

A-asking for a friend

>Mint

Why do you hate your eyes so much?

I'm a linux noob, I don't even know any CLI commands, so I'm starting with something that 'just werks'

It's default Korora theme and I haven't bothered to change it yet

How good for linux would it be if RX Vega had SR-IOV out of the box?

>Suppose you're paranoid about pol ice confiscating your computer and planting illegal material on it
Alright, let's pretend that this is a legitimate concern that they might "plan illegal material" on your computer, and that you're not just scared of getting caught red-handed while fapping to your cheese pizzas.
No, you can't do this. Well, you probably could, but for the hash to match the volume's original contents you would have to generate a new hash every single time you change any little thing.
Doing so manually would get real old real fast, so naturally you'd set up an automated way to do it, right ?
But then what would prevent this """planted""" illegal material from being hashed along with the rest of the volume ?
And if you're really scared of this happening, what makes you think they would care about your hash in the first place ? If they're already """planting""" evidence, what makes you think they wouldn't call your ass out on faking the hash ?

Basically what said. If the authorities want to fuck with you, they're going to do it one way or another. It's just a fact of life.
Your main concern here would be finding a good attorney.

What programs/utilities should I be using for overclocking RAM/CPU in linux?

For new ryzen build. Should I just figure it all out in windows first?

Your UEFI.

Is ukuu the easiest way to install a new kernel? (I want to use 4.11 stable instead of 4.8)

>ukuu
Just add zesty to your sources.list, pin it to a lower priority to xenial or
whatever shit you are on and install the zesty kernel. There should be zero
dependancy problems for that.

I'm about to install linux on a brand new hdd.
I would like to use encryption, but I'm on a very slow computer. the processor doesn't have aes-ni and I'm worried about performance.
should I use full disk encryption or just encrypt my home partition?
I also don't mind having my pirated stuff unecrypted. should I make an extra partition for that?
I don't know what to choose.

tl;dr: what partition table would you do on a brand new drive and would you use encryption in the cpu is slow