Look at this Japanese castle

Look at this Japanese castle.

Why can't European castles look this good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-lYFoWSSV3E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I built one on the Sup Forums minecraft server that was more impressing.

what the fuck are you talking about

Do people still play on the Sup Forums minecraft server?

don't know, I played like 5 months ago with a couple of friends.

Are you asking why they build them like that?

Japanese one looks better

wow it looks almost just like that castle map on cod 5

fuck off weeb

Because they had to withstand sieges which included siege weapons. No reason to make the castles all nice and pretty when a trebuchet shot could wreck it all.

That's castles though, palaces and seats of government are a whole different story.

Lol no

Our castles aren't folded often enough

due to climate, earthquakes and resources

t. Davido-kun

t.zhou xing qu

t. kim puk lee

The continent of Europe has torn itself apart many times through many wars

t. Nergui Khan

George.D.Takei

castle rank
Germany>>Japan,France>other

Because we didn't use swords or wooden hammers to break down and attack castles, we invented siege engines and complex machinery for the sole purpose of destroying walls and buildings. Which is why we built fortified walls, several rings of them, added further defensive mechanisms and traps, etc. You can't really make a castle pretty when it's built that way, especially when you expect it ti be at least partially destroyed several times. European castles are function over form.

japanese castles were multilayered and functional with redundent walls too, with overlapping tiered compounds but majority were dismantled or bombed and were not rebuilt to save room

Japanese way of war was pretty dumb. They barely fought sieges and even organized mass-battles with formations and such.

And you see it by their castles. They were dumb as hell as well.

In terms of ingenuity and actual useage of castles and fortifications;

European, Islamic, Chinese >> *shit >> Japanese >>>>> "American"

>"American"
wut

Pre-20th century everything was either built by or copied from European design.

When will you understand Japanese castles are not just those "castle" parts of them but conceptually include the whole city and were built to be a well designed fortress where a palace, a complex labyrinth and the great wall of China are packaged in one city, unlike stupid ass Western castles that are just fucking useless monolithic piles of stones and bricks standing alone in the middle of a field?

thai temples are better than those 2bh desuyooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

so it's a normal castle?

Pretty much, though the fortification systems were more elaborate. What you see today is just the keep, and the style used only came about at the end of internal conflict in the country.

you on the left

Plenty of Western castles follow that same design, for example Edinburgh

>chinks and nips think they can compare to the insane amount of castles and fortresses built in Europe, or European war in general

>b-b-b-but muh city-fortress

Pure number of castles and experience in siege warfare puts Europe way ahead. Nothing was as fortified as Europe, conquering it totally would have been impossible at any point in post-roman history, unlike china or japan.

Besides, European star forts are by far the most powerful and well built pre-modern fortifications.

Do you love Japan

sure do mr proxy

This. Star Forts with all the bastions and ramparts were basically the state of the art of fortrification untill the napoleonic wars brought improved artillery. And even afterwards they were pretty usefull untill aircraft were introduced in warfare.

Say what?

art
lego

here's some are for you

The old-time castle is pretty ugly, but a proper comparison would only use things constructed from the late 16th century anyway, so this should really just be a decorative castle thread.

I don't think I understand you
so you're saying that this is an ugly building?

I'm sure European castles just look boring to us because we're so used to them. The Asian ones look exotic to us, but if we were aliens, coming to earth for the first time, I'm sure the European ones would seem pretty exciting, as well.

Mt Saint-Michel isn't a castle

Are the gook castles for religion or defense?

I find European castles much more interesting, they're so much more varied compared to Japanese and Chinese constructions

The restored medieval part of it is, yes. The main bit is considerably nicer.

Well. I like both.

How can you guy compare european castles with japanese ones. Most of the european ones are jewel castles builded to be prety. Check of spanish casttles... Japs closed their country because they feared europ ffs

This is the Osaka Castle now.
It was wider than today's size in the 16th century.

They both have their charm, europeans ones are more practical, asian ones are more detailed

well, the Turks weren't too kind with the castle during their 150 years of occupying it...

Almost all existing Japanese castles are Azuchi-Momoyama type castles, which are also basically status symbols with some military trappings. They took warfare into consideration but weren't really about serious use as defensive positions.

Here we had to actually withstand a lot of grim sieges.

I live in a region with one of the biggest amount of castles per sq km in Europe and despite that I like the Japanese ones(they seem cool) I prefer European and especially my local ones.

pic related, feels good to live in Warmia

The one in my city:
youtube.com/watch?v=-lYFoWSSV3E

Sadly there's a lot of work going on for a few years around hte castle, i nthe center and all over the city so it spoils the views a bit but the video is quite good anyway.

Defense against people who never had cannon.

That's a pretty nice moat.

Same here btw, entire cities were fortified

In fact to this day Paris highways' exits still use the historical words and places like "Gate of Bagnolet" and "Gate of Clichy" to designate routes out of the city

better view

>castles
>posts Neuschwanstein

it was never meant to be a fortress you tool, main inspiration for its construction were Wagner operas

Because European castles had to stand up to siege weaponry.

Shogun 2 taught me that fixed fortifications are laughably mediocre when the attacker has a bunch of pic relateds.

And that's not even counting the much, much, MUCH bigger versions actually made for killing buildings.

Last year, I went to Matsumoto Castle.

underrated

While the original castle is medieval, all the pretty details were added to make it more romantic.

step aside plebs, best castle coming through

Thats how it looked before being "restored".

Superior American castle.

That picture's old. They added a bunch of shit to it.

It looks like it's made of lego.

More culture, less pop culture, my friend.

Do you hate Japanese castle

Disney World is high culture if you go to Epcot.

:|

Hello dirty japan
>Do you hate Japanese castle
no, i just think,like japan penis, its INFERIOR to BIG european castle. (yes i know pic related is in syria)

No.

They're really fun to burn down.

You're just butthurt they don't have Poolan at Epcot.

BIG

European

(but Polish)

CASTLES

What? You think people got to Epcot for rides?
Fuck no, you only go into Epcot to drink a beer from every continent and leave with blistered feet, mild dehydration, and cheap tchotchkes you could've bought online for half the price.

When I was in US I went for a ride in a old train than I saw some "old buildings" that aren't considered old here, a tiny waterfall and was told that if you put more cheese into a burger it becomes a different dish.

Same here. The "Ring" or Ringstraße is where the old fortification was, it was then turned into a boulevard.
Serveral places are named after the parts of the fortification, like the Schottentor.

Most of the regional capitals that are now, probably, still among the largest cities in their countries were walled, some had keeps as well.

City walls are super comfy.

For real?

I agree

Buildings "grew into" the walls with time, which looks kinda cool.

Cosy :3

I feel kinda sorry for people who can't experience this feel of cosiness.

looks like shit but have this one. it used to be glorious before it was destroyed and before the damn commies used modern bricks to restore half of it

this one is smaller and somewhat cute. i think its the best preserved one here

"Castillo de San Felipe"

Closest thing we have to a castle here.

Thank you Spanish conquistadores.

so fucking cute :3

shame, had to be goat

So beautiful

Do you still have a fuckton of those teutonic knight Zwingburgen in red brick?

Muh dick