Remember back in April 2014 with Firefox 29 when Australis came out and so many people here were panicking and saying...

Remember back in April 2014 with Firefox 29 when Australis came out and so many people here were panicking and saying it was the end of Firefox? Now Firefox 57 is around the corner with WebExtensions and the exact same panic is happening all over again.

Australis didn't kill Firefox, and WebExtensions most probably won't either.

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1332714
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/umatrix/
github.com/gorhill/uMatrix
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tree-tabs/)
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tree-tabs/
arewewebextensionsyet.com/#addons
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/keyword-search/
paste.installgentoo.com/view/8423615d
ghacks.net/2017/08/02/mozilla-makes-tab-hiding-api-a-priority/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Of course it won't be "the end"
But lots of people will switch to something else, and those will be the enthusiasts

You're right OP, fuck market shares

Right OP... tis just a scratch. Nothing's happening. Mozilla STRONK!

firefox user here, redpill me on web extensions

Mozilla is worse than Google. Use Brave.

Australia couldn't kill it but websico will.

Except that Australis didn't deprecate 95% of their add ons for no reason.

>redpill me on X
You can strart by going back to

>chrome is bad, use it with a skin on top
Yeah no, I'd rather sink with ff

you have to go back to plebbit/tumblr/safe-space

>Don't update to FF57
>No WebExtensions

Or alternatively

>Use a fork of FF that wont implement WebExtensions

You got it backwards you summer turd. Sup Forums is your containment board, if you need to be redpilled on anything that just shows your herd behaviour, you can stay if you want but everyone already knows that you are faggot.
If you need to be redpilled on webextensions you probably don't even know what you're talking about

more like it'll be the retarded power users who stifle advancement because they're too autistic to accept change, and to that I say good riddance

no more shitty addons causing huge delay to startup or page load, no more performance issues on month old profiles requiring fresh profile restarts, etc, the only downside apart from a change in workflow for some users will be having to do userchrome tweaks rather than having an addon doing it for you

honestly, ff57 nightly is ridiculously fast at the minute, it doesn't even feel like firefox

>Sup Forums - Autism
>panic
Great news, OP.

>being this much of a plebbitard
take all that butthurt and use it to kys

He's gonna stay and obviously needs to be educated. Consider it my share of public service

mozilla make too many questionable decisions, webExtensions just means that any addons that were unique to firefox are gone(self destructing cookies, downthemall, etc). my opinion of them has dropped to an all-time low with how they are handling that punycode homograph exploit thats going around, which only firefox users are currently vulnerable to, read this shit bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1332714 it has some comical SJW developer responses.
>We want every script and language to be treated equally on the Internet.
literally blaming domain registars and everyone else, meanwhile chrome, firefox, safari have all resolved this, 6 months onward mozilla cant fix it because it goes against their braincancer belief system.

What will they switch to? Every other browser at that point will just support webextensions or will be an outdated Firefox fork.

>ublock origin
Already a webextension
>Umatrix
Hybrid is out, with the full webextension coming soon
>Greasemonkey
Use violentmonkey
>Https everywhere
Already working on webextension with test version available
>Private tab
This might be an issue, as the developer has stated he's having a lot of difficulty porting it over

Besides those add-ons, what else do people even use?

>Besides those add-ons, what else do people even use?
Stylish & NoScript are the only addons I use besides the ones you listed.

Tree Style Tab dev says it's probably impossible to port
DownThemAll dev stated that he's given up porting
NoScript says it is legacy but I think its WebExt compatible, anyway Umatrix is probably better

tabmixplus (for multi-row tabs)

>noscript

uMatrix?

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/umatrix/

github.com/gorhill/uMatrix

The latter

Any major differences between uMatrix and NoScript? I tried search but the only thing that really looks different is the UI.

/thread.

>what is waterfox
just kys

>can't customize speed dial background
It's shit

Stylish is a botnet. Use stylrrr instead.
Umatrix is a replacement for noscript.

looks like cr*p

Why did they wait this long to actually make their browser fast? Everyone has already switched over to Chromium and it's various forks.

At least my uni still uses firefox.

Sure you can, just not through the UI.

In NoScript if you allow scripts from google.com it will be allowed on every website but with uMatrix you can allow or block scripts on a per-site basis. uMatrix also allows for controlling resources other than scripts.

To appease the autists who are clinging to their extremely niche addons. Ever wondered why the version that is "killing" addons is the fastest in years?

Try nightly, enable stylo and webrender. Holy shit it's fast.

What's so great about violentmonkey when tampermonkey and greasemonkey already exist

Greasemonkey will probably be deprecated, Tampermonkey is proprietary

umatrix handles javascript blocking better but noscript has decent xss protection making firefox on par with chrome in that regard, stick noscript in allow javascript globally and let umatrix do the script blocking

>Holy shit it's fast.

yeah, they've turned up the heat (pic related)

How big of a difference is there between greasemonkey, tampermonkey, and violentmonkey?

I've switched yesterday to FF after Google's fuck-up with the engineer which was fired for the truthful memo. And just recently I installed the nightly, it's focking gud, there're absolutely no reasons to look back at Chrome.

Looks fine to me.

I felt like when chrome was first released when I tried it.

People keep saying that this is going to be the death of Firefox. I'm quite certain the opposite is true. If they even get around to merging Servo in that will be even better.

I'm probably going to switch back. I haven't used opera since nightly 57.

Man, my firefox still looks like shit because of that australis bullshit. Used to have everything in one bar, but now I can't do that without covering up the close window buttons for some fucking reason.
Besides, that was a cosmetic change. I use those extensions that they're going to disable.

I've slugged around with stable for the longest time, so you can imagine the breath of fresh air this feels like.

Hell VimFX and all my other extensions even work already so I don't give a fuck about the api changes now.

So does it still contact google analytics?

From what I can tell, the only feature that places greasemonkey above the other two is that you can easily disable scripts on a per domain basis.
Violentmonkey doesn't have this option, or at least I missed it if it is present.
tampermonkey is just a botnet.

>DownThemAll!
>AB+
>Flagfox
>Greasemonkey
>HTTPS Everywhere
>img2tab
>Proxtube
>Mega
Setting up the new versions or finding replacements alone will take up so much fucking time not to speak of the ones that will never get a proper alternative

I will probably switch to firefox, I dont give a shit about addons, I just want a nonbotnet fast browser

I need replacements for some of these add ons

It didn't end it no, but compare marketshare at the time of FF24 compare to FF50.
IF you wait and do the same thing for FF50 vs. FF75, you'll see the same drop in users.

Basically Mozilla started with Chrome's extensions API and has been adding things to allow addons like TreeStyleTabs (replacement: addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tree-tabs/) and NoScript (ported) to exist as WebExtensions. About the only addon that is never going to work right as a WebExtension is Vimperator/Pentadactyl, and that's what Qutebrowser is for.

TreeStyleTabs, it's the most important extension to my workflow.
WebExtensions not only breaks it, but you've basically put any type of API improvements that will allow it work again on the backburner (ie. dead forever)

FF is dead.

>Tree Style Tab dev says it's probably impossible to port
He's a fag.
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tree-tabs/

TreeTabs isn't a replacement for TreeSrtyleTabs, period.
>bbut it says Tree and Tabs so it MUST be the same
No.

>A known Firefox limitation prevents trees from being created automatically

It is. The two main issues, hiding the tab bar and opening as a child, are already solved by experimental new extension APIs. They just haven't filtered down to stable or dev edition yet.

>solved in an upcoming release

Firefox is dead though, have you even seen its market share over the past few years?

arewewebextensionsyet.com/#addons
Just in case.

>Solved by new magic code that doesn't exist yet
Fuck off

>Doesn't remove the native tabs toolbar like any proper vertical tab extension should, rearranging tabs won't affect native tabs toolbar, and flickers when switching tabs.
>Features says drag multiple tabs between windows. I don't see a way to make that happen.
>The options page on the screenshot is not the real options page.
>The options page on the screenshot is not the real options page.
>When opening tabs with the side panel open the side panel does not update the tabs properly and they either do not appear or appear at the bottom of the list.
>I dont see a way to create trees which should be the main functionality.
>When right clicking over a tab on the panel the default right click menu and the addons menu appear which is confusing and bothersome.
>The tools button display a lot of other buttons and none of them work.
>Right clicking on a tab on the panel and clicking unload, does nothing.
>Has great potential but at the moment half of the features are not working for me.

Response:
>It's a ported version from chromium, so expect things to be broken. I should mark it as experimental.

It's a shit extension for a shit browser that doesn't even work.
>bbut It MIGHT be fixed in future
I doubt it.
If it is, sure I might try FF again - but for now it's dead.

>'''''legacy''''''

So, did anyone find replacements for greasemonkey and ublock?

>Smart HTTPS
Firefox will default to this behavior.
>Stylish
Stylus
>Twitter night mode
There are userstyles for this
>ublock origin
That's already a webextension hybrid. It still flags as legacy due to non-webextension code for importing from older addons. It will show up as pure WebExtension as of FF57.
>private tab
I believe this is coming to the stock browser.
>Greasemonkey
Violentmonkey

Ublock is getting ported. Violentmonkey and Tampermonkey both work on webextension.

>Greasemonkey
Violentmonkey
>Ublock
Ublock origin already has a webextension version.

>>private tab
>I believe this is coming to the stock browser
Sauce?

>Firefox will default to this behavior.
Really? Source?

Is there an addon that makes the address bar and search bar the same thing?
It's the only thing keeping me from switching from chrome.

The address bar has been a search bar in Firefox for like ten years now. All you have to do is remove the dedicated search bar from the toolbar. No add on needed.

Only for manually typed urls, and doesn't work on every site.

Https everywhere is going to be ported to webextension. Smart https is redundant with that.

Let me know when https everwhere isn't a resource hogging pile of shit. I'll stick with Smart https until then.

t. Poorfag with a dual core Celeron and 2gb ram

>he shills for free software for free

and yet firefox is pretty much dead

Tree Tabs doesn't remove the tab bar on the top and its generally a piece of shit as compared to Piros Tree Style Tab

I hope there's a new extension for what this does:
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/keyword-search/

It lets me separate the searches from the search box from it using that same search engine in the address bar it's annoying that both uses the same or does that change in firefox and both are independent again like they were years ago?

Flaming nightfox is fucking amazing.

Anyone know if FIREFTP is gonna be compatible with firefox 57?

I was so upset with Australis because it killed my custom CSS and I never got it working again. I just want Firefox 3 back. I'd do anything for the internet to be the way it used to be.

if you have keyword.enabled set to true (default), there's no point in having the search box.

set that value to false, and then you can actually use them as independent.

thanks for sharing this. i'll have to seriously reconsider if i really want to put my trust in a browser which decides to not patch known bug because it might break few russian domains (actually not even break them, just show them in uglier way)

>chrome, firefox, safari have all resolved this
>mozilla cant fix it
>firefox have resolved this

It's like you forgot what you were even shilling for. 100 rupees were removed from your account.

Posted this in another thread.

I know Firefox power-users will go down fighting, but, as a Chrome using normie (who used FF for years prior), I'm about to switch back when this hits stable.

I've always much preferred the Chrome UI, and I won't feel the loss of XUL extensions since Chrome only has their WebExt variant anyways. And mobile Firefox supports extensions so that's actually an upgrade.

People can say what they want, and I get that it sucks to lose the only good power-user browser, but if Mozilla's goal is to appeal to normies and regain market share then this is a step in the right direction.

Any alternative for downthemall as it is definitely kill?

Not sure if this is a replacement, but I've heard that flashgot is being ported to webextension

Also, all your lame duck extension developers had literally years to prepare. I know the APIs have been trickling in, but they could have at least done some groundwork in all that time if they really cared. I get the idea that most of them probably just wanted to maintain their legacy code until the end of times instead of putting the work in.

Rikaisama.

>it'll be the retarded power users who stifle advancement because they're too autistic to accept change

Right now the only advantage Firefox has over Chrome and Chromium lies in having extensions that simply cannot be developed using the WebExtensions API. Remove that, and all you have is a slower version of Chrome.

All you have left are power users and people who think that Chromium will spy on them.

>that won't implement WebExtensions
You mean one that WILL implement XUL and XPCOM. There's no reason why you can't have both.

Is it just me or do legacy extensions still work you Sup Forumsents? When nightly 57 came a few days ago I thought legacy extensions would be disabled but it turns out it still works.

Half of those already have replacements fucking retard

Legacy means that there is (some) XUL/XPCOM reliant code in the add-on. Some features may not work perfectly. Currently Ublock Origin runs perfectly on 57 but is still listed as a Legacy add-on.

>Use a fork of FF that wont implement WebExtensions
Which one?

>addons that were unique
paste.installgentoo.com/view/8423615d

I believe the Waterfox dev said he planned to maintain a separate fork of Firefox from 56 onwards, so it never adopts the webextension requirement.

You could also use pale moon, or icecat.

what a fucking loser. even if they make it work perfectly before november you'll still find a way to spin it and shit on it.
or is it just that you don't understand the simple fact that nightly isn't stable?

An API to remove tab bar was recently added, treestyle tabs will be ported
ghacks.net/2017/08/02/mozilla-makes-tab-hiding-api-a-priority/

>Rikaisama is dead
And so is Firefox.

yeah i remember, thats when i stopped using firefox and switched to pale moon

firefox needs to give us full control of its css