There are literally no good reasons to use any other programming language other than C++

There are literally no good reasons to use any other programming language other than C++.

All other languages are either:
Crippled
Have a GC
Need an extra program to run the compiled program
Slower
In the process of dying out
Not standardized (if that matters to you)

Other urls found in this thread:

learncpp.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

C is portable to everything
C++ is only portable if you limit yourself to C++98 at a maximum.

/thread visitors

>Inane bullshit

C++ is portable to everything that matters for 98% of software development. For embedded fine, use C, but even then you still benefit from using C++ everywhere else because of the interoperability between the two.

too bad there's only a dozen people on this plane who understand C++

name that language!
>crippled
false
>has a gc
false
>need an extra program to run the program
that's called an interpreted language.
>slower
faster
>in the process of dying out
growing by the day
>not standardised
who fucking follows the c/c++ standards anyway?

Isn't the c++ standard literally over 1000 pages long by now?

It's portable if you limit yourself to C++98, yes.

>who fucking follows the c/c++ standards anyway?
every non-microsoft compiler?

good luck with your buffer overflows,, kid

C *works* on everything.
That doesn't mean your *program* works on all platforms C runs on.

Yes. ~1400 pages I believe not including the C++17 additions.

A quick search suggests C++14 compilers are available for Linux, Windows, MacOS, BSD, iOS and Android across x86, ARM and even RISC-V with C++17 compilers being available for most, if not all of those. You are talking out of your ass.

Thank you for giving away that you have never programmed in modern C++. Stick to things you actually know something about.

t. first semester CS student

In the real world, developer time is a significant expense and languages like Python that reduce this, used for non-computationally intensive tasks, are preferred.

Additionally statistics from StatCounter say all but ~3-6% of clients accessing the web is running one of those operating systems. Once you factor in that the server market is effectively 100% Linux/BSD/Windows (according to W3Techs) you would easily arrive at that "98% of development" figure I threw out earlier.

>Have a GC
Please explain how this is a bad thing. Not all programs are interactive.

Pajeet,

I can write C++ in the same amount of time it takes for you to write Python.

It's totally unsuitable for certain applications (games, real time systems), it tends to result in worse performance and higher memory usage then the micromanaged equivalent.

Besides, it's better to have the option to choose manually heap allocated vs. custom GC vs. regular GC vs. ref-counted as you can with C++ than be forced into using a GC for things it's unsuitable for.

Now that Moore's law is dead, that is much less of an argument and there's a lot more reason to optimize for the hardware that is available.

You ignore facts when they don't favor your argument, but that's the #1 reason companies would rather use something like Python over C++, because developer time is often the most significant expense. Deny it all you like and try to back it up with anecdotes, but you know it to be true.

>It's totally unsuitable for certain applications
Like I said, not all programs fall into those categories (in fact, a minority do). You don't have to use the same language for every program you write.
>it tends to result in worse performance
That is simply false.
>higher memory usage
Maybe in startup, but for long-running programs, heap fragmentation is a bigger issue for overall memory usage, and a compacting GC solves that problem excellently.

Personally I find Python increases the amount of time I have to waste because the dependencies are always fucked, the errors are always inscrutable and the code is more opaque than a tar pit on account of it's total lack of types. Also the lack of "compile time" checking of anything other than syntax makes finding bugs a waking nightmare.

For small things you're right, Python is vastly superior, but past a certain size it stops being significantly faster to develop.

>For small things you're right, Python is vastly superior, but past a certain size it stops being significantly faster to develop.

You're right. All those small time websites who run entirely on Python like Instagram and Pinterest don't know what they're doing. Neither does Google or Microsoft, who also use it frequently.

They should come to Sup Forums and listen to anons like you. You've got it all figured out.

Or maybe... maybe... you just suck at programming. Yeah, that seems more likely.

>call to authority

C++ is portable to everything supported by LLVM, which is everything that matters.

Only C89 is portable. Later C revisions are as portable as C++.

/thread

looks like the people who have the actual programming skill have a different opinion seeing that there's a lot of software written in other languages
while you're stuck here wasting your time trying to look smart before a bunch of 15 year olds

I like python

It's decent.

C++ is only good if you don't use its mentally retarded OO bullshit (or as little as possible because it's unavoidable at times).

OO is the worst thing that has ever happened to programming, and C++ takes even that bad thing and makes it 200x worse.

Use C.

C++ has too many useful features.

But that's an economical argument not a technological one.
Also, you do realize Py is good for calculations because it uses a wrapper around C++ and Fortran functions right.

Name fucking one. You can't.

>MAH STRINGS
It really distresses me to know that today's "programmer" kids can't even figure out how to do strings in C well and have to rely on a shitty string library that doesn't give you precise control of their memory allocation.

constexpr
example: I've been working on a microcontroller lately and I wanted to get uncached access to a particular global to make DMA transfers easier and faster. Only the main mirror of memory is cached according to the current MPU settings, so using any of the mirrors will allow uncached access. The toolchain I'm using won't let me link the global in uncached memory automatically, so C can't help me outside of twiddling the addresses manually every time I try to access this global. The solution was to make a constexpr reference to the global with the pointer arithmetic done once at compiletime so I can easily ensure all accesses go through the uncached mirror, and thereby bake the uncached address into the code.

There are plenty of C++ features that have practical applications even in low level environments. I have more control over memory allocation and access this way. I haven't used a shred of STL because I want that control.

>claims OO is retarded
>uses structs as objects in C
Niggers get out, don't say shit if you know nothing about programming or computers.

of course i need to write an extra script for every little piece of shit.
Learn assembly languages if you need to do hate on this stuff every fucking time.

t. brainlet

>do strings in C
>forget something small
>entire company at risk of being hacked by russian hackers

But we need efficiency*

*O(n) strlen

What's the best book for learning C++, Accelerated C++ or C++ Primer?

>muh Russia boogeyman

>printf(foo)
>suddenly Trump wins the elections
Still think C can't destroy the wolrd?

>>printf(foo)>suddenly Trump wins the electionsStill think C can't destroy the wolrd?

Look, I don't like Trumpkike, but Hillary, even if we ignore the trail of bodies she left behind, wanted nuclear war with both Russia and Iran. You leftists are really mentally ill for supporting someone like that. By comparison, when Trump hinted he wanted war in Iran the right was against it.

>that's called an interpreted language
Interpreted languages can be good when you run something like a webserver, because it may be cheaper to increase computing power than to increase the man-hours spent developing software, but please keep your interpreted garbage off of the end-user's machine.

Please respond

I'd answer if I knew.

Donald is the best
I wanna suck his dick
I love his red face
And I love his juicy tits

learncpp.com/

Looks like a shill thread.

*shill = bait

&bait = shill

>assigning to an rvalue

>He didn't overload & and define &bait in the preprocessor macro in some other header file he included in some other header file that he included into his main file

No reason to use c++ when python, nim, js... can be compiled down to c code.

I prefer using books. Is that website really good?

It's where I learned, and it's the best resource I've found, really

Wrong.

Does it teach the basics or advanced concepts as well?

It'll leave you as an intermediate programmer, then you gotta read Andrei's book

>Andrei's book
Is it sufficient to become an advanced C++ programmer?

try doing assembler

What for? I don't know shit about embedded systems.

Pretty much. By the looks of it you probably will never make it though

Nigga just read whatever book covers the subject and has good reviews, then go and do some actual programming, then go and read a book that tells you how to manage large projects and design good programs in C++. Your first book on the topic isn't the measure of how good you'll eventually get, it literally doesn't matter as long as it doesn't teach you bad design choices and covers all major things. And don't listed to the dumb shits who tell you you're not gonna make it, it's probably gonna take a couple months to finish the book, depending on how much time you have and how much you procrastinate, but you can do it, just don't give up when you get stuck.

Alright, thanks anons.

>C is portable to everything
In reality whereever you can use and not C++, C isn't a great choice to begin with and instead specialized DSLs and really restrictive languages should be used.

>Not all programs are interactive.
But those interface to interactive software at some point (otherwise, computers would be pointless) and making them slow down and show loading screens.

Actually it's around C and Fortran, not C++