/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

New Stupid Questions Thread

Post all your stupid questions that don't deserve their own thread itt.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B016M91SS0/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
youtube.com/watch?v=UijLRNQ6N7Q
youtube.com/watch?v=hM8gZzSDKrw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Anyone know the EXACT hour today that the BreadDipper NDA is lifted? I can't wait any longer I need muh benchmarks.

Does the cow of arts coupon still work?
Haven't been around for a while and I need a new $1 mousepad.

Trying to install a Plug&Play keyboard (Link related: amazon.com/gp/product/B016M91SS0/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) into my PC (Windows 10 64bit) because my keyboard died and I had to borrow a friends spare.

I cannot get this shit to work.
>Plug Keyboard in
>Lights up all nice
>Nothing Happens, Device Manager doesn't register it, can't type with it
>Tried uninstalling all Drivers/Programs associated with old keyboard
>No specific drivers for this keyboard exist anywhere

I am fucking desperate. It works on my friends machine (Also Win10) but mine isn't reading it. What could be causing this?

Stop being cheap and get a $8 fuckhuge custom printed one from AliExpress.

It's because you're wincuks.

Anyone here use an SSHD or RAID 1 and ever had an issue where copying/moving large files (100MB+) frequently has a 1-2% chance of complete read/write failure and requires a hard reset? They are in a RAID 1 so I don't know whether to blame that or the discs. After restarting they start transferring data for about 30-40 minutes. Windows reports almost zero disc I/O activity during the process so it's happening below the OS level. It's like one of the discs has become corrupted and it's mirroring the entire disc back over again which is making me believe it's a RAID controller issue.

hey Sup Forums, I'm fixing a laptop, just did the factory reset from the on-board recovery drive, and I ran into a problem.

The recovery was on windows 8, and she had upgraded to windows 10, and now windows doesn't recognize the old windows 8 key for verification.

what do?

Run MSToolkit.

Is there a program that lets you scale windows that have a fixed size (E.G things you cannot full screen or stretch in windowed mode?)

I tried a magnifying glass but it was dropping frames in game and super convoluted. Something that would be good for 60 fps games or something. Windows Borderless Gaming only works with windows that can be resized, not fixed borders.

You don't need a key. Just skip it and complete the installation.

Just went to use magnifier to get pixel percision on something when I noticed something, EVERYTHING IS ROUNDED

Is it like this for anyone else? Is there a way to revert it? I just want the individual pixels back.

How long should a good mechanical keyboard last?

Does anything else plugged into that USB port work?

Decades.

You can tell windows to use a different scaling level for a particular application. Apologies for the horrible youtube tutorial youtube.com/watch?v=UijLRNQ6N7Q

Alright guys, if I've lost my Win 7 cd, my product key, and have a physically different system...is it still possible to recover either a Win 7 product key or a Win 10 digital licence?

Signing into the pc when setting up whould recover a digital license if it can.

If that doesnt work call microsoft that if they are in a good mood they can recover and transfer a digital license. Ive had to do that before.

Test

Fag

Why won't my PC build turn on?
>Forgot to turn the power on

I've got a fuck ton of old 8mm video cassettes laying around that I need to convert to digital while retaining as much quality as possible. The original camcorder still works fine, so I figure a composite capture card would work well enough. Can anyone recommend one of decent quality, or possibly an alternative?

help me out here Sup Forums,

so I have this old netbook and I want to use as a file server to keep shit on. thing is, it's so slow it only has USB2 and an internal SATAI slot for the hard drive. Is there an adapter an I can use that would let me connect an external drive (or more with a dock) to that internal sata port?

So kinda like a usb to sata male cable??

i3-7350k is about $120
I have a pentium g4620 now, and I barely use my desktop, but now I would like to play modded arma 3 more. Should I just swap out the cpu for an i3-7350k for this game, or should I spend a lot more, and get an i7-7700k?

So I did some research and computer science does a lot of c++ programming and stuff. I'm not into programming. I'm into IT. Are there any stuff i could do to pass the time? Related to IT of course.

assembling and disassembling electronics

if you have a dvd recorder, you could use that, writing to dvd-rw's
otherwise it shouldn't matter much, just get something with a built in mpeg encoder (i'd imagine they would all have one these days, even the cheap stuff)
the hardest part isn't capturing, but processing
cropping, trimming, cutting, adding chapters...
you'll probably want to check out QTGMC, the highest quality deinterlacer out there
and if you want to really squeeze as much out of your tapes, you can also consider capturing multiple times, and averaging them together, minimizing noise

I am really into that stuff. Not anything software related?

How do I run a GUI program after I've extracted and compiled it from source?

I will be putting a 360mm rad in the front of my phanteks enthoo pro m, which requires me to remove the hdd cage.

I need an external usb 3 dual 3.5" enclosure that will support 1.5tb hdds.

any reccomendations?

If RAM is damaged/unstable can it shut off PC? I dont mean it goes to "shutting down..." screen but it shuts off as if I flipped the switch on the power supply

No, that is a PSU problem.
Open speccy go to motherboard section and check voltages.

I'm Wayland compositor issue.

I have the Weston desktop running perfectly but I've wanted to try out Gnome3.

Instead of using GDM I just use gnome-session and it asks for a "display environment variable".

I know with Weston I had to create a directory for the XDG runtime (/tmp/wayland/) and specify the XDG_RUNTIME_DIR

Is there a similar command to choose the GTK display variable?

>I'm Wayland compositor issue.
YOU'RE wayland compositor issue?
fuck you, wayland compositor issue.

Tried that, didn't do anything of the two programs I tried it on that have fixed width windows.

Added the registry entry, added the *.exe.manifest suffix. Ran program. Nothing.

Voltages are fine
If you're the guy I spoke to yesterday, I reverted the "xmp" overclock and havent had a blackout crash yet even after intensive use

spend more. honestly an i5 k should be fine and at least cheaper. Depending on how modded.

I'm having audio problems on my windows 7 laptop. When I plug my headphones it, the audio will play out both my speakers and headphones and my headphones won't be under the playback devies. It's like it doesn't recognize that something was plugged it.

mpv png screenshots are like 8-10MB
optipng doesn't help much
but reexporting them with gimp (changing nothing, and as far as i can tell, still lossless) gets them down to a more normal/sane 1.5MB range
1) why is mpv spitting out such large images?
2) is whatever gimp is doing not actually lossless?
3) can mpv be fixed to do whatever it is gimp is doing?

I neither can open threads nor reply with pic attached while using clover. Anyone knows what's up? What mighr be wrong?
I have the latest version and galaxy s5

Do I need bluetooth hardware in order to connecto to a bluetooth device via my computer?:

If I install gentoo onto a usb stick, can I use the usb stick on any computer with the same cpu architecture or only on the pc I intsalled it? also how long does it take to install gentoo? never did it but I want to try it sometime

I have BIOS Rev 3.7 on Packard Bell and I don't see virtualization option. I wanted to run TempleOS on VirtualBox, but it can't run because it can't find any 64 bit processors. I use Windows 7.

>is whatever gimp is doing not actually lossless?
It is lossless, just more compressed. MPV probably doesn't want to spend too much time compressing the image and thus end up dumping a large image quickly.

You need some kind of bluetooth adapter to be able to connect via bluetooth. You can get cheap USB sticks for a couple of bucks.

Linux is very lenient about hardware changes IIRC, it should be able to switch between architectures as long as they're all installed.

I'd start by looking for a audio driver from the laptop manufacturer site.

if im installing windows 10 for someone (oem) is it possible to install it but not set up the user account? ive never used windows 10 before

--screenshot-format=png
--screenshot-high-bit-depth=no
--screenshot-png-compression=9

Do you mean the Microsoft account or the user profile?

You can skip Microsoft account and I'm pretty sure you can skip the user account, although win10 is pushy af about it

if you're taking screenshots of >8bit stuff, they'll be saved as 16bpc png's, gimp

which web browser should I use

Uzbl

why

huh

I have this laptop.
If I install Linux on it will I be able to do the VM-with-direct-graphics-access thing that people talk about? I thought it was exclusive to dedicated graphics cards but someone mentioned being able to do it with IG and I don't quite remember the conditions.

This, right here. Truly Free software or GTFO.

i want it ti to be so the user is met with all the welcome and profiile stuff on the first boot they do

freedom, not a botnet, it just works, and i trust gnu more than mozilla these days so having them as a buffer between us is nice

vivaldi

integrated graphics is dodgy at best and it's only fairly recent since intel decided they could do it after all so user experience is minimal at best, that said almost no laptop that has vt-d support can pass through dedicated graphics so you might be entirely out of luck trying to pass through the igpu never mind all the potential issues that might pop up (like possibly no internal display, etc)

but you won't know until you try it

kek

I think you should be able to do the first part of installation and stop there when windows wants to reboot and continue. The next user has to finish the installation though, it'll take an hour or two.

Not 100% sure about this though.

This is correct.

Help me out here Sup Forums, I was listening to music, and then suddenly, audio stopped. I'm using a headset and mic by Plantronics, I'm not hearing any sound, but my speakers are showing that audio is playing. See the webm. I have my headset plugged into the rear mic and audio jack as I type this, but I also plugged them into the front, and sound is playing fine there. What's going on? Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Did you reboot the machine?

Yes I did. Didn't do anything.

Collecting Information from your system, please wait.......?[3;J?[H?[2JYou are about to create a backup of CumulusMX (Cumulus MX v.3.0.0 build 3043). Available parameters are: -z = zip| -t = tgz| -d = dd | -c = Cloud-WebDAV2017-08-02 09:10:08 - ZIP Backup Create a zip backup from /home/pi/CumulusMX into folder /data/Backup_CumulusMX/adding: home/pi/CumulusMX/ (stored 0%)adding: home/pi/CumulusMX/System.Net.FtpClient.dll (deflated 62%)adding: home/pi/CumulusMX/CumulusMX.exe.config (deflated 42%)adding: home/pi/CumulusMX/CumulusMX Licence.txt (deflated 40%)adding: home/pi/CumulusMX/realtime.txt (deflated 44%)adding: home/pi/CumulusMX/web/ (stored 0%)adding: home/pi/CumulusMX/web/thismonthT.htm (deflated 84%)adding: home/pi/CumulusMX/web/yesterdayT.htm (deflated 74%)adding: home/pi/CumulusMX/web/index.htm (deflated 70%)adding: home/pi/CumulusMX/web/tempdata.json (deflated 85%)adding: home/pi/CumulusMX/web/sunhours.json (deflated 81%)adding: home/pi/CumulusMX/web/realtime…

has anyone else's adblocker stopped blocking ads at the start of youtube videos in the last 24 hours?

what should i name my pc?

Iggy

Does a different headphone work on that output? Is it 3.5mm?

Iridium

ziggypop

I believe it's 3.5mm, though I'm not sure. And no, other headphones do not work on it. Just tested some earbuds I have that came with my smartphone, they're not working on this port, but they do work in the front port.

Best terminal emulator for autistic vim fanboys?

Also, bash or zsh and why?

Is there a way to make webm for bakas also include subtitles?

Anything, just remember to 'set -o vi'

I am unable to download files having special characters through filezilla via ftp from my seedbox. I heard it's a problem with character encoding of filezilla but how to fix it?

I came few hours too late to download the ethnicity filter on faceapp. How can I download a mirror of the apk that still implements it?

uninstall the drivers and check if that helps?

>4chanx just stops working on firefox
>doesn't come back even after multiple enable disables and restarts
why god

are gunnar glasses just a meme

if you only knew ksh and the openbsd way. fucking plebs use anything elee

Just did that and reinstalled em. Same thing, what the hell man?

What are good monitor brands?
Is asus best one? What else? Benq? LG? Dell?
I don't want my eyes to bleed out after few hours

CALLISTO

How do you get a job programming? Like how good do you need to be? What kind of portfolio and degree do people look for? How much experience?

I am very determined to learn to program, I just don't know where to start.
What is the best way of learning Java or C?
All the online courses require registration.
What software do I need?
I've only used Dev-C++ a little, only written Hello World and Celsius-Kelvin converter so far.

I have purchased on of pictures related, and looking to purchase a extra Gigabit NIC. Could you recommend me some good cheap NICs to look for on eBay and such?
Like ex enterprise stuff ?
Ty

There's a noticable bulge below the keyboard of my dell xps 13. Is my battery going to explode?

what happens if i touch a circuit on my mobo when pc is on? will pc die? want to absorb the power of my pc thats why curious

C - The C programming language 2nd edition
JAVA - Algorithms 4th edition (Robert Sedgewick)

Also, pic related

You should try it.
Might become the man who has all the knowledge from the internet.

What are good routers?
And what makes a good router?

arent u that guy?

no idea, maybe it's fucked? are they realtek drivers? realtek allows to control some audio port configurations in the driver panel, did you check if this shows any abnormalities?

I might just pretend

i sense your hostility that may be you want me to ruin my circuits. hell i dont give a shit if i get a buzz, all i care for is if the pc can take it.

youtube.com/watch?v=hM8gZzSDKrw

If you won't short wires, it should be fine.
I hope you get the POWER of PC!