/pcbg/ PC Building General - GPU Passthrough Edition

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/rcTs3F
pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#s=30&f=7&c=119
pcpartpicker.com/list/wbTs3F
pcpartpicker.com/list/mLpynn
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ
pcpartpicker.com/list/KDXTkT
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

With the recent AGESA updates and their impact on gpu passthrough, I'm finally interested in getting on the platform. I'd appreciate any measure of help.

I'm stuck between the 1600x and the 1700. Either way I'm probably going to be dedicating 4c/8t to my slave vm leaving only 2c for the host. I shouldn't run into any problems with cutting a 1600x 2c:4c for host:slave right? Would the 1700 be better performance wise for the host? I see that the single core scores for the 1600x are better than the 1700 by ~20% on average.

Another question is about RAM, I am aware of ryzens tendancy to prefer samsung b and check QVL for the board, but is it true that 3.2ghz ram will not perform in a 4x8gb config? If I am required to use 2x8 for that speed can I split the ram unevenly between host and client? 6gb:10gb for host:slave?

If I open a VM I expect to use it thoroughly or just close the thing and I know linux isn't nearly as performance hungry as windows so, assuming both ram and cores can be split unevenly would it be fine running a host with 2cores and 6gb ram AND a slave with 4cores and 10gb ram?

I used profile 2 on my ram to get it to 3200mhz and now my cinebench scores are 200 points worse. I'm retarded and I don't understand why.

I'm really interested in pass through but there are still issues
1. No cpu will allow 7700k perf levels directly. Low CPU 7700k is a no go for a multi vm machine
2. There is no SLI pass through

Tw no asus vega 56

would one of you take a look at my build?
>pcpartpicker.com/list/rcTs3F
most notably, i think i need a different case?

Probably the shitty latency is the problem. It's hard since ryzen need unicorn memory to work properly

This case was top notch 10 years ago.
They didn't updated it, poor radiator support a lot of 5" bays no one uses, no USB 3 support.

Ryzen gaming performance is still awful in VM's, I don't understand why people recommend Ryzen for GPU passthrough. 7700K is obviously limited since you can only pass 3C/6T at most, you have to shell out for a 6 core Intel for great VM gaming performance.

does this shit even need a full atx tower? can i get a mid tower?

>Intel

If you aren't planning on getting another GPU, all of that could even fit in an mATX case/board.

The only thing you have to worry about is the cooler height, drive bays, and the bay you're gonna be putting that reader in.

do you actually have data showing a comparison

>buying windows 10

Not it's atx. Just use a good air flow case don't use shit like nzxt.
Also for top 7700k you will need delid.

Don't recommend shitty 10 home. Just pirate ltsb if you use windows.

Also why the hell a wireless card? Just use cable or buy a mobo with integrated nic.

Alright anons, I'm finally building my first PC, what do I connect the anti-static wrist strap to?
I heard it's supposed to be connected to bare metal but the inside of the case seems to be completely painted black.

Should I put the hard drive and DVC/CD drive in before the motherboard? Seems like they'll be easier to put in first.

Should I put the CPU on the motherboard after screwing the motherboard into the case or before?

Don't pay attention to this cuck.
Matx is shit the smaller cases for matx are heat traps and if you really want to use air cooler it's a no go.
Just use atx case and not a meme shoebox

Are there even any benchmarks on VM frametimes anywhere? All I can say is I have a 1600X, switched to Ryzen from 6600K since passing 3C/3T felt kinda limited. Unfortunately I experienced the nested paging tables bug, it's pretty widely known on passthrough forums, Basically with npt on, CPU performance is fine but GPU performance is shit. With it off, GPU performance is fine, but CPU and I/O performance is shit. What's worse, is this isn't a Ryzen specific bug, it plagues all of AMD's processors and they haven't fixed it, which means it may never be fixed. Fortunately it seems KVM-specific, so if you migrate to Xen it will work better. Haven't bothered with Xen enough to try it out yet.

at least i wont need to buy firewood

Why you need a fucking DVD drive?
I'm in probably on the thrid build without one. It's just useless most of the time.

Use antistatic if you are really fearful but I would just discharge on some grounded metal and it's good.
Arguably you could connect to ground on your home but if there is loosy current on ground you could die.
Just attach to the case you are working so you will be on same level as the case.

of course not. Intel will set your house on fire for you

im not a programmer
dont really feel like using linux or w/e

I think I am just losing it, i reset everything back and get 10 points worse now.

With the profile 2, there is a part near the end that always seems to hang a bit, where all threads seem to pause and then jump ahead, but don't do this with system defaults.

Is that the result of instability?

Its my first time messing around in any bios settings other then changing boot devices on vista era machines.

Another cinebench question: is the OpenGL test garbage? I get 10 faster FPS on a 2GB GTX770 then this RX580. Is the openGL support for Polaris just shit?

Why not just get an mATX board, you dont have the PCIE needs to justify anything else.
Better case options and the board shoulndt be all that more expensive.
pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#s=30&f=7&c=119

Is this pc good as a birthday gift for 13 years old son? He doesn't do anything except gaming and school projects on it.

yeah but if i lose the wifi card i can just replace it without rma the mobo

Forgot link
pcpartpicker.com/list/wbTs3F

>have matx case
>only 1 case fan
>40c under load in 24c ambient

retard

you can still get windows 10 FOR FREE

tpb? idk seems risky

>why not just get an mATX board
i want to have sli capability for the future

Also it's important to note that Threadripper WILL have this bug as well, and possibly even Epyc. I hope AMD realizes that putting SRIOV in their GPU's is pointless if you can't use GPU's in Ryzen VM's.

I just saved you 200$ and dropped in a much better CPU by ditching some shitty meme fans and getting a just as good motherboard in mATX

If you want to spend the same amount as before consider 2x8GB ram, and dropping in a ssd for OS/Boot

No, it's "free" in the same way as Winrar. Microsoft will nag you and your screen will have a watermark and default background, but it's real Windows. It's up to you whether removing the watermark is worth the price.

I'm currently CPU bottlenecked what 1151 socket CPU would I need in order to not hold up my 1080?

Which should I get for an r7 1700 and Vega system? I'm leaning towards the silent one personally but would like a second opinion.

Buy ryzen 1800x

can i change the background? i like to change mine a lot, but not for $100

unless there is some major difference in construction, the 800W will run quieter because of the wattage overhead.

oh yeah and how to get it for free? thanks

No, you are restricted from doing any personalization

1800x has no reason to exist. 1700 is cheaper and practically is the same save for 100mhz difference in OCing in some cases.

The snow silent one supposedly has a quieter fan. It also seems more recent but I'm not sure how much that matters with PSUs.

forgot link as well
pcpartpicker.com/list/mLpynn

Just download the .iso or USB installer from Microsofts website. microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
No unfortunately.

What fucking resolution are you playing at that your CPU gets bottlenecked before your GPU does?

thanks guy

pirate 10 enterprise LTSB and crack it

congratulations you have the best casual user version

Matx is shitty. Have a couple, vrm is shittier. You don't have to pay a lot more for atx board, so unless you are really planning for a micro build specifically I would stay away from that.
Mini itx is even shittier.

If you are planning to build, I would expect til Aug 28, if you are going Intel, just wait to see if coffee lake will be supported on z270.

So I'm a fucking retard and while reapplying thermal paste to my old crusty overheating 970, I managed to break one of the VRMs off (top right of pic related). I keep replaying it in my mind and I don't even know how it happened. The VRM unit is broken in half and useless. Now I need a new gpu.

Do I grab a sub $150 gpu for now and wait for Volta or do I just say fuck it and buy a 1080ti?

It's not like it break with frequency.
Why you don't use fucking cables?

if you can find a cheap one off craigslist id go with that

i do
cant print from cables though, have to use google drive on the smart printer now. would like to be able to print from computer in the future

This CPU is trash if you main objetive is gaming. Plus 1600 ryzen oc like shit.
If your objetive is gaming just get Intel.

Also if you go ryzen prepare to use unicorn memory

I want to play Forza Motorsport 7 and Forza Horizon 3. What's the cheapest Ryzen processor I can get away with and play at 60-75 fps?

Planning to add the top led fan as another exhaust soon, does this arrangement make sense? Also should i add some more 120mm intakes to the front just to be sure? CPU is R5 1600

Go watch that youtube video on Fans.
Anything pass 3 fans is diminishing returns in temperature drop.

and with team blue, expect a lot of water to put out the housefire

I guess I would look at some user reviews and see if anyone is complaining about coil wine on either of them.

The noise of the PSU fan itself will be silent compared to the beefier hardware you have in the case.

This is memory vrms are lined at side of chokes

Mfw using the spic-o fucks up the internal system time up in all manner of ways

Also holy fuck the piece of shit win 10 keeps waking up the pc from sleep all the fucking time in the middle of the night, this problem seems to be extremely widespread with winshit 10

Can't wait to switch back to 7 once i get the new drive heh

1. Scam someone with the card
2. Buy a used 980ti
3. Work while Waiting for volta
4. Break the 980ti on purpose and scam someone else
5. Buy the 2080ti with work money
6. buy an anime body pillow and a dildo from the money you scammed.

Here pleased your mind and your ass

>that youtube video on Fans.

Link me up pls fampai

Ryzen is so crap you don't need fans at all specially led shit.
Just use hwinfo with a benchmark.
If you cpu is passing 70c while stress testing improve cooling, otherwise you are just ricing

youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ

NZXT S340? I relocated the top to a front intake

Much oblidged kind sir

Oh wow the intelboyim salt is real

If I want to connect a 3 pin fan to a 4 pin header, would that work or would there be issues?

>vrm is shitter
>VRM changes based on form factor
no

>coffee lake will be supported on z270
Last week it was confirmed that it won't.

>just get intel
>just spend more money for barely any performance increase

>unicorn memory
With DDR4 prices fucked across the board, 3000Mhz is 15/20% more at the max over 2133

/pcbg/ is not the place for retarded hyperbole, go start your own thread if you want to be a retard.

It works. 3 pin fans don't have pwm, that's the only difference.

Volta will have a sub 10% performance increase. Its not worth waiting for, really.

Okay, thank you!

you may have it set to check for updates at 3am or something. Group policy settings can make that shit stop.

Into buying the ultrasharp u2410 monitor fot 60bucks
Current one is benq something which outlived anything i know lol
The question is
16:10 or stay with 16:9
I use photoshop alot, shitpost on Sup Forums and call me a faggot but play 3 aram rounds in LoL a weeks.
Will the new aspect affect any way ?
I kinda like black borders on movies i noticed...

pcpartpicker.com/list/KDXTkT
Six cores seem like a lot for gaming.
He likes RGB lights and these fans look cool.
I added a liquid cooling assuming you can't overclock on the stock cooler.

Why would Volta be a sub 10% performance increase?

Source? Beside your ass

Because AMD cucks are on fucking suicide watch due to Vega. Don't forget how much they were saying that Pascal will only be a sub 10% performance increase over the Maxwell.

bump

Is this bait?

Alright, what do I do with these cables?

I know that big wide one goes in the obvious motherboard bit for it, but is there any particular order I need to do everything in or is just getting everything plugged in before turning it on good enough?

Should I plug things in as I go or should I put the CPU, RAM, and hard drive in then start fucking with cables?

ryzen 1700x gtx 1080 epic settings on OW 1080p, I'm only getting like 120 frames at max. Is this normal? Some tests I've seen average almost twice that much, am I under performing or not?

>Reeeeeeeeeeeeee
>someone disagreeed with me
>starts to argue

Did you remove the FPS cap?

Make sure your 1700 isn't downclocking. On a lot of boards, if you adjust cpu voltage at all, the frequency drops to below half of normal speed.

it doesn't have an option for 'off' on that, I just cap it at 300. What should I do there?

I don't believe it is. How would I check? And I'd like to know if these performance stats are that bad. Are they really? ;_;

No. This is not normal
I get the same with my 1050ti.
Check cpu/gpu usage

>buy MSI gtx 1060 6gb
>new
>NO FUCKING POWER JACK
>MSI cs is a nightmare
>Send it for a refund and ask for an exchange through Amazon
>Now I wait

Yes it's normal. Unfortunately for gaming you was memed into buying the inferior option

Probably stupid question: Is there a point in getting a 1070 over a 1060 if I'm not buying a 4K TV/Monitor? What about going from a 1050 TI to a 1060?

so I should go into my bios and see if the voltage isn't altered from default?

Whats a power jack?

>Don't forget how much they were saying that Pascal will only be a sub 10% performance increase over the Maxwell.
Nobody reasonable said this- Volta isn't going to have the same fab shrink Pascal had to get the TDP numbers down
The 12nm process is just an optomized 16 they are using now.
The gaming cards will use GDDR6 and not HBM2

I stand by 10% on consumer grade, screencap this post.
There is no reason to wait for volta. Vega is shit, just buy a 1080/TI

Where the plug from the psu goes into

So what voltage should a 1700x have, anyway?

I NEED HDD RECS

why doesn't this happen with my 6700k

>but is there any particular order I need to do everything in or is just getting everything plugged in before turning it on good enough?

Just make sure everything is in. Usually people that do this a lot have a set order and stick with it so they don't forget anything.

>Should I plug things in as I go or should I put the CPU, RAM, and hard drive in then start fucking with cables?

Personal preference, I prefer to get CPU/RAM seated, then run power to the board and CPU and route the cables. with that out of the way i take care of the GPU and plan where the cables are going to go. I do things like HDD's last as you usually have a bit more freedom where shit can fit or needs to go.

We don't even know the Volta specs yet. Nvidia doesn't sandbag like Intel does. I look forward to posting your screenshot. Just like I did so many fools when pascal was released.

wat

post pics