Why did we skip IPv5?

Other urls found in this thread:

lifewire.com/what-happened-to-ipv5-3971327
blog.bimajority.org/2014/09/05/the-network-nightmare-that-ate-my-week/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Stream_Protocol
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

because 789

lifewire.com/what-happened-to-ipv5-3971327
Basically didn't fix any of the issues that ipv4 had, so they just made ipv6 to solve those issues

v5?
3 cylinders on one bank and 2 on the other?
Would probable run like shit.
Even a v6 has an inherit 2 degree timing error.

everyone who doesn't know ipv6 yet is scared to implement it
everyone who knows ipv6 very well is also scared to implement it

blog.bimajority.org/2014/09/05/the-network-nightmare-that-ate-my-week/

ipv4 was running out of ip addresses. ipv6 has more addresses than atoms in the universe.

Sux2Bu

idk but moving to hexadecimal is the way to go

i know, I'm a network engineer for a city ISP in real life and know how hard it is to even be eligible to buy more IP space from RIPE.
But this doesn't mean people switch to ipv6 (we're handing them out for free to our customers, as much space as you want, and still nobody wants it). This means people stick with wonky NAT solutions.

Volkswagen has/had those. They're shit

The real reason?
IPv4 was in place when the core facilities of the internet were designed and implemented.
IPv4 has been made to work since 1978, and will probably remain the main addressing + routing protocol of the internet until it becomes infeasible to continue it any longer.

It's more of a political + people problem than it is technical. Chicken and the egg. Nobody is willing to take the first step, since it's not worth anyone's time to, if that makes sense. As an ISP, why would I piss of my users by forcing all devices to be IPv6? Every home router is NAT, and I have plenty of room left with CG NAT to fill the holes. Few businesses and universities are willing to invest the time and effort to re-engineer their networks to IPv6 for no tangible benefit.

Until IPv4 reaches it's breaking point, IPv6 will remain on the bottom of the never-ending IT manager's to-do list.

C0:A8::1

We didn't. It was just bad. Tons of standards don't get implemented.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Stream_Protocol

80:08:13:50::1

2001:db8:b00b:1e5::
get on my level

i wonder if schoolkids nowadays still try to write stuff on their calculators

Same reason we skipped 33bit, 34 bit, 35 bit, 36 bit, 37 bit. etc and just jumped straight to 64 bit.

That's one layer too low, MAC daddy.

AKTUALLY
we did use 36 bit (PAE), and current implementations of AMD64 are actually only 48 bit

(48bit address space, that is)

Why not use IPi5?

>one-bit-per-baud serial lines
>2011 + 6
Errrr

So is most of the HDD parameter addressing on older PCs (Pentium MMX and Pentium II era) and some of the consoles that use IDE interfaces (PS2 and Xbox are an example.)

what about ipv1 ipv2 ipv3?

what about ip0 ip-1?

Volvos had those

nah, they all sexting on their wifis

haha plebs
>still using ipv4
get on my level, i got ipv14

They exist. Lots of vibrations though

IPv7 or go home

No user, Volvo has an inline-5. Audi made some too.
the V describes the shape of the engine, it's not a prefix for the number of cylinders.