/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Andy Rubin on Twitter "We are in full mass production, ramping up to deliver your Essential Phone. Find out where you can get yours next week!"
twitter.com/Arubin/status/895357116277342208

LG V30 to feature the world’s widest aperture on a phone camera and TouchSense haptics
gsmarena.com/lg_v30_to_feature_worlds_widest_aperture_and_touchsense_haptics-news-26684.php

Asus ZenFone AR unboxing
phonearena.com/news/Asus-ZenFone-AR-unboxing_id96915

Unlocked Moto G5 Plus at Costco for $179.99
costco.com/Moto-G5-Plus-Unlocked.product.100360682.html

Moto E4 Plus review: Dangerously close to the perfect budget phone
androidpolice.com/2017/08/08/moto-e4-plus-review-dangerously-close-to-the-perfect-budget-phone/

Lenovo K8 Note debuts in India with a 10-core CPU, stock Android
androidcentral.com/lenovo-k8-note-debuts-india-10-core-cpu-stock-android

Xperia XZ1, XZ1 Compact leak
sumahoinfo.com/xperia-xz1-xperia-xz1compact-jikki-images-leaked-g8441-g8341-docomo-so-01k

old

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/FTMn68G
forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-4/xiaomi-redmi-note-4-snapdragon-roms-kernels-recoveries--other-development/rom-lineageos-14-0-t3566095
m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_mix_2_prototype_allegedly_stars_in_leaked_image_showing_an_allscreen_front-news-26674.php
s.aliexpress.com/muya2mae
s.aliexpress.com/QNVzAJ3A
s.aliexpress.com/3In6z67F
s.aliexpress.com/jUBvmUbM
s.aliexpress.com/mIFBBJbu
gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3
m.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_609458.html
gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_640510.html
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-note-4-global-3gb-32gb
eglobalcentral.co.uk/lg-g6-h870ds-64gb-dual-sim-sim-free-unlocked-white.html#/product/21113
androidauthority.com/android-phone-cameras-worse-than-iphone-790729/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Guys, talk me out of buying a Xiaomi Mi 5x
>5.5" 1080x1920 screen
>4 GB RAM, 64 GB ROM
>Dual rear camera
>Fingerprint and usb type C
I like how it resembles iPhone (i'm a fan of the iPhone design), but it has an actually usefull OS. I don't play muh games on my phone, I chat on it, listen to the music and ocassionaly snap a photo with it. It's quite cheap and I already have a good opinion for the company since I had a Redmi Note 2 Prime. I liked how easy it was to flash a rom or root it, it was a nice phone overall but the camera sucked. I heard that there is going to be a Redmi 5a, I'm also considering it, but mi 5x is already out. What do you guys think?
Please, reply to this post. I would like to purchase it but dont want to make a mistake by doing so

Opinions of MIUI?

Why 5x over 6?

It's just a RN4 with a shitty battery. get the RN4 global instead. it has official LOS and RR.

Pure cancer.

Just jumping in to say that Moto G4 Plus is perfect. I will never buy an expensive phone again.

Can Costco ship to Australia?

It's cheaper
The battery is not shitty, batery is not only its capacity
For me it's comfy af. I remember the times when there were developer versions with built in root, that was good. Its really nice but its very different from material design so it looks kinda out of place

Fa/g/s, I've made a /spg/ discord, feel free to join
discord.gg/FTMn68G

Is it worth buying new chink phones on release?

I kind of want the redmi note 5.

Used for 6 months on my rn3p before getting sick of missed notification and installing lineage is. Never regret. I also discovered the world of ricing, so I'm pretty happy with it.
MIUI bad imo. Has its nice features I miss but I can't stand missed notifications.
I don't really know... It's like the zuk line: they're not amazing phones, it's just the value they offer after some time is insane. But still I haven't really checked out the note 5 so I might be wrong.

Overall best budget phone right now? No chink shit, I'm not falling for that meme again.

Redmi Note 4 Global

No chink shit please, I'm serious about this.

what are you racist?

Best 4.5 inch phone in Australia for under 150? Have been considering a j1 mini, don't need anything fancy

Moto G5+. check the costco deal in OP.

Hey guys, got my Redmi Note 4 on your recommendation. I'm a newbie to Android so could someone give me a comprehensive guide on getting this onto Lineage OS or the next best thing?

Which rom should I install on my Redmi Note 3 for stability? I'm on MIUI, but I'm tired of the terrible notification system.
Last time I installed Lineage, it locked me out with some kind of encryption error after I did a weekly update. Same thing happened with Nitrogen.

Is it better now? Any advices?

Unlock bootloader and do this

forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-4/xiaomi-redmi-note-4-snapdragon-roms-kernels-recoveries--other-development/rom-lineageos-14-0-t3566095

You really shouldn't have bought this as your 1st android phone but w/e.

Well, I've been using iPhone 4 for years and lost it in a tragic pool accident, I want off Apple's wild ride so this seemed like the next best thing.

Manlet detected

I got my old Galaxy Nexus (i9250) running again, but it's way way slower than I remember. Maybe I'm spoiled.
Either way I'd like a ROM that just werks and is fast. Don't really require any features beyond brower and Android 2.1 compatibility.

Excited for the new Mi MIX?
m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_mix_2_prototype_allegedly_stars_in_leaked_image_showing_an_allscreen_front-news-26674.php

Nokia 8 hype

Less than a week to go. Apparently they're also announcing a 3310 with 3G which is also nice.

I'm torn between LG G6 and Honor 9. Does the same bootloop problem still exist in G6 like in previous LG phones? It's pretty much the only reason why I'm even considering anything other than G6.

Yes. the Honor is better anyway.

The 3310 should come with a high resolution dac imo, perfect phone
Yeah it's quite stable now, get the official version

lineage has been pretty stable for me but im tempted to try resurrection remix. i just havent gotten to it because im using a kate model.

Are cases and screen protectors worth buying or is it snake oil/just for aesthetics?

I'm a poorfag but I'm considering getting a case/protector for my Moto G5 plus, but don't really know if this investment will be worth it in the long run.

You don't plan on dropping your phone, it just happens
If you don't want to buy an hardened glass screen protector (which isn't expensive) you should at least buy a cheapish case to prevent damage from falling and scratches

>he fell for the custom rom meme

A quality glass screen protector is absolutely worth it, to keep your screen scratch-free and it might even prevent it from cracking if you happen to drop your phone. A case is down to your own preference, it'll protect the phone body from scratches and dents from possible drops but it'll also make the phone bulkier and some might say it ruins the aesthetics.

Check out Aliexpress if you're a poorfag, it's the same shit that's in local stores and Amazon for a fraction of the price.

A few examples:
Screen protectors
s.aliexpress.com/muya2mae
s.aliexpress.com/QNVzAJ3A

Cases
s.aliexpress.com/3In6z67F
s.aliexpress.com/jUBvmUbM
s.aliexpress.com/mIFBBJbu

Will G4 devices EVER get Nougat?
The thing has been in Soon(tm) limbo for like a year. At least the Play has.

Thanks anons, guess I'll go get a case and screen protection.

I just hate making unnecessary purchases, but at least this should (hopefully) increase the longevity of the phone.

G4 plus currently running 7.0. Pretty comfy.

Fuck.
Play release when? It's like Lenovo forgot the model exists. Everyone is bitching about it on the forums.

So, I got myself my first Huawei android phone.
What are some recommended /spg/ apps?

Bought a cheap Samshit Tab A with light bleed.

Should I return it?

Old phone broke so I got a Lumia 650 from work, should I use this or just buy a new one since I got it for free?

got my priv today
god damn this thing is so pretty, just werks aswell for me considering i'll only use it for basic things
quick question though, as someone who has used an iphone 4 since it came out, what apps do you guys recc? I have clover and firefox focus but not much else

I'm looking for a flagship with good battery life. Have a htc 10 and love everything about it, but with 4g my battery is dead after 2hrs of using the phone.
Anything comparable to build quality and speed to the htc 10 but with double the battery life? Like 4hrs sot even when using mobile data?

S8+
gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

Is this a good deal? I want a rugged phone and this one comes with 4000 mAh battery and nougat

m.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_609458.html

I need a phone with stock android and possibly an 8 series processor, chink phones with good rom support will also do, budget is a non issue

Yeah, this or BV8000 Pro.

gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_640510.html

Both won't work in the U.S.

how's the redmi note 4 build quality?

OP5 or wait for Nokia 8

Google Pixel

>are helmets and bulletproof vests worth buying or is it snake oil/just for aesthetics?

Should be nice, all that I opened up. Most Xiaomis have photos / videos of teardowns somewhere, go have a look.

Most phones aren't entirely safe against chipping / cracking from breast high drops or higher. And various screens might scratch at least a little.

Protectors can help. I don't see the point in buying any expensive ones though.

The LG G6 and OnePlus 5 are the same price right now. What are the pros/cons of these phones?

What was the new/upcoming IP68 chink phone with a huge battery that was memed here couple weeks back? (Not oukitel.)

>LG G6
bootloops

>OnePlus 5
upside down screen

Both shit.

what do you recommend, then?

LG G6
+IP68 water resistance
+1440p display
+MicroSD slot
+small bezels
+better rear cameras
+OIS

OP5
+better performance
+AMOLED display
+more RAM
+near stock ROM
+better selfie camera
+DASH charge

Don't listen to this guy, he's talking shit

S8
U11
XZP

>Best Buy is offering the Samsung Galaxy s8 at a $300 discount putting it in the same price range as a Moto Z Play
Should I fall for it?

From what I've heard the s8 is fragile and doesn't have great durability, so I'd be aware of that.

Best place to get a Redmi Note 4?

OnePlus 5 is fine. In fact it's on par with current flagships, maybe even (slightly) better.
Other than it you have:
>Xiaomi Mi 6
>Xperia XZ Premium
>Galaxy S8+
>HTC U11

Yes
>newer
>more storage
>more RAM
As the other user said, it's fragile so if you drop your phone a lot for some reason you should get a protective case.

GearBest, probably. They always shill Xiaomi products.

What country you in?

Why is Android so bad at giving battery information.

None of those percentage add up to 100%

Like what the fuck caused my battery to drop like that m

Only things drawing me away from OP 5 and to the G6 was the 1440p display and microSD slot. What makes you not recommend it specifically? From what I've read, boot loops aren't a major issue with it.

Hi, what cellphone has the best camera nowadays ? please
(price doesn't matter)

How to find out which tempered glass protector to buy? Amazon is shit in showing reviews, they just dump together the reviews from dozens of models.

tempered glass is a meme.
It still feels exactly like the cheap plastic protectors. Those might scratch, but you can just replace them a dozen times before you're even close to the price of a tempered glass one.

Redmi Note 4 for 16 shekels. Get it or no? (I have an iPhone 4s on it's last legs)

USA.

Goddamn it, *160 shekels

Anything above 1080p is a meme and an unnecessary battery drain.

If price isn't an issue then buy a camera. Mobile cameras are all bad. If you want an all around good device with a great camera then pick one of the Sony phones, or a device with a decent optical zoom like Mi6.

OK, you don't need to worry about customs/VAT then so just order it from where it's the cheapest
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-note-4-global-3gb-32gb

You're just buying shit ones. I paid under $2 for mine and it's great, nothing like those shit plastic ones

You can probably get it cheaper than that

Nexus 5x finally started bootlooping, couldn't handle the British summer.

Refunding it on amazon, do I get the same phone again (which is on offer £275, I paid £350... I wonder why?) or do I upgrade? If so, what are my choices for a similiar budget?

1. HTC U11
2. Google Pixel / Pixel XL
3. Galaxy S8 / S8+

Check for wakelocks

So your budget is ~£350? Don't get another 5X at least.

Check out this
eglobalcentral.co.uk/lg-g6-h870ds-64gb-dual-sim-sim-free-unlocked-white.html#/product/21113

Other options to consider: Moto G5 Plus, Nokia 6, Honor 8

>Honor 8
u wot m8

I loved my google phone, it was slow with certain apps but it had no bloat and was super convenient. I need a decent UI more than anything.

lmao

androidauthority.com/android-phone-cameras-worse-than-iphone-790729/

Yeah. I was hoping someone knew a cheaper place to get it.

>even google vp prefers iPhones

Do you think it's worth waiting for Moto G5S Plus with dual camera and a slightly bigger display?

Le mao, OP5 has a better camera than iPhone 7. Nice bait article.

HAHAHAHA Cry more pajeet

>Le mao, OP5 has a better camera than iPhone 7. Nice bait article.
J E L L Y
E
L
L
Y

>tfw already got some minor scratches on my G5+
Is gorilla glass a meme?
I already ordered a screen protector

iToddlers are funny. Sony always had better cameras on phones than iPhones. Cry more fags.

Sony.. who? :^)

Stop being poor and mad bud

Well maybe you should have said you want stock android

>poor meme
So these were just bait posts? Thanks for confirming, I no longer have to reply. Bet you can't afford Sirin Solarin, iPoor XD!

Well sure, if you prefer a bigger display.

then what are my options?

>iPoor XD!
Cry more, I earn 20k per month :^)

Yes, it's a meme. It'll protect from stuff like keys but even pocket sand is enough to cause scratches on gorilla glass.

Moto G5 Plus.

For stock android? Nokia, Sony, Motorola, Oneplus, Nexus/Pixel