>Ok.
>Tells me to only buy thinkpads that respect my freedumbs
>All those laptops just happen to be over a decade old
>Ok.
>Have librerooted T400 running parabola
>Content with this setup for about 4 years now
>Suddenly pic fucking related shows up in my life
>Have to be running windick or homOSeX
>All windows laptops suck hot dick in terms of build and windows 10 doesn't like it when you dual boot
>Apple laptops are built nice and have nice screens but they nixed the fucking ports
>Can't even connect a proper mouse and keyboard without puling 16 dongles out of my ass
>The Air is nicely built and has ports but a fucking mid 2000s thinkpad tier screen
>For over 1000 fucking dollars
>system76 latops are cool but they're just as expensive as apple just with a fraction of the battery life
What the fuck do I do?
The air seems like the best compromise so far, I can rationalize the screen being kinda shit because it does help battery life, and according to the arch wiki it's fairly easy to get linux dual booted on it.
Anyone else had to deal with this piece of shit program in college/grad/professional school?

Other urls found in this thread:

9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>falling for the college jew

You could probably find a good deal on an old Mac book pro, what is your price range?

You should try killing yourself.

a bit over a grand
I would like a new machine though, I need it to last at least 4 years, ideally 6.
Hence why I'm currently looking at the macbook air.
It's easy to install linux on it, so I wouldn't have to worry about it being obsolete because of software, and I looked at ifixit guides for the heatsink/fan and battery and they're both fully replaceable with no glue jewery happening (it looks like windows laptops are doing this too now...)

Can't help but feel that apple is giving me the dick with that screen and the price though.

a new machine won't last that long.
keep in mind the ssd, cpu and ram are soldered and cannot be repalced

The ssd on the air isn't soldered.
I see normies with 11in 2012 airs they they still use as their main PCs.
Other than the battery there really doesn't seem like there's anything that could break

>>Can't even connect a proper mouse and keyboard without puling 16 dongles out of my ass

Heard of Bluetooth, you fucking retard?

>having to use fucking AA batteries in 2017
No. Plus I already have my mouse that I like and my memechanical keyboard

Both mice and keyboards have internal rechargeable batteries you utterly stupid tech illiterate cunt. Get off this board.

> >Apple laptops are built nice and have nice screens but they nixed the fucking ports
Previous "Pro" generation is still available.

I don't know what the fuck examsoft is, but can't you VM it?

>2006-2015
>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>extremely loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel admitted it's shit and went back to solid non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>shit tier 1mm travel chiclet kb
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats constantly from abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz due to chronic overheating problems
>retina meme for "pros" have have gloss mirror coating impossible to use with overhead lighting
>blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>shitbook air even worse with glossy 1366x768 TN eye cancer
>systemic battery explosion problems for over a decade

>2016+
9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>ultra shit tier zero travel kb
>keyboard louder than WWII cricket
>memetouch emojibar
>no USB-A
>no escape
>soldered ram
>soldered SSD
>tamper tape on battery screws
>applel falls for their own thin meme and uses 54WH battery
>2 hour battery life

howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
>it's 2017 and moving folders around in finder will STILL cause massive data loss

>macshit is good
Can we finally put an end to this meme?

Not the cheap ones.
Even then
>charging your fucking keyboard
No, it needs to be run natively
It was an option until I found out about the throttling and fucking staingate

Install a W7 VM you retard.

>No, it needs to be run natively

fo wat?

>suck hot dick in terms of build
You must be referring to throttlebook housefires, because nothing sucks hot dick more than those.

I have to use Examsoft as well, I'd avoid Mac with it. Too many stories of people having Examsoft crash mid exam or not work at all.

Drop out of college and blame Ubuntu. You will be on the news.

I've also heard the same on windows. 10 especially seems to fuck with examsoft.
It's a piece of garbage in general

Ignore the bullshit, OP. You want an XPS. For your budget, you should decide if a drop in pixel density is worth it for 15", or if you like glossy Apple-like displays enough to settle for 13".

I would probably got 13" and get an external monitor later on for increased productivity when you can afford one.

Even better, the XPS 13 Developer Edition comes with Ubuntu installed standard.

pretty sure he meant the industrial design, sperglord.

>"""""""""""""industrial"""""""""""""" design

If your college requires it they should be able to supply their own machines capable of running it, no? Just do your year's work on your on laptop and then use a college machine during the exam.

Also this

get a t470

Get a HP

E L I T E B O O K
2570p or 8470p

XPS13
Suck it up brah

An elitebook is my main machine. God like build but it's pretty heavy and even with everything autistically tweeked it's hard to go over 5 hours of battery life.
For living at home and most undergrad work that's totally fine, but I'll be dorming and I dont know the outlet situation in their lecture halls

Also the thing is heavy as fuck, like 5 pounds
The xps is great. Problem is, despite it mostly working oot with linux the display brightness control thing is in firmware. Meaning the brightness will turn all the way down when you have a terminal open. Really fucking jarring to use, despite how nice the screen is.
I'm not interested in the new pros or even the old ones really. Hell as far as I'm concerned the air is the last apple designed thing that actually does its job well. The 2017 air can get over 12 hours of battery
It detects that it's running in a VM. Presumably to stop cheating. Can you spoof shit? Probably. Should you? Fuck no, if faculty finds out they'll assume you're cheating, they dont give a shit about muh freedumbs sadly.

>No, it needs to be run natively
Just ditch that uni.

I don't really know how to ditch med school user.
Lawfags have to deal with this shit as well.
My imaginary gf that attends pharm school also has to use examsoft. She hates it

Just use their machines for your exams.

Unless they are a complete trash school which means you should switch to a better school they will have machines that you can use for exams if yours doesn't work.

>display brightness control

>complaining about things fixed years ago

Retard.

The only "fix" is windows only.
I personally tried this out for myself at best buy with a fedora disk. It's almost unusable if you alt tab between a terminal and a web page.

Someone who uses his brain

Look up examsoft

XPS 13

Wait I don't get it. How does it work? It seems impossibly hard to find coherent information online.

The only thing I've found so far is that it reboots your computer into some hacked together "word processor" mode that lets you take the exam and nothing else. So what's preventing someone from installing it in a VM, and letting it reboot the VM?

Also, while we're at it, what is the point of this software when you can literally use any other device to view whatever the fuck you want?

This entire concept is just idiotic. How is it supposed to do anything other than be annoying?

>An elitebook is my main machine. God like build but it's pretty heavy and even with everything autistically tweeked it's hard to go over 5 hours of battery life.
>For living at home and most undergrad work that's totally fine, but I'll be dorming and I dont know the outlet situation in their lecture halls
>
>Also the thing is heavy as fuck, like 5 pounds
hmm I see, I own an 8460p that weighs in 8lbs and I have the 9-Cell battery that gets me around 8 hours.
Your other options for a good laptop IMO are:
T470
XPS 13
Dell Precision line
Modern HP