What's the largest drive you'd safely buy? Are 4tb drives stable yet?

What's the largest drive you'd safely buy? Are 4tb drives stable yet?

2TB, experiencing drive failures really dries up a mans loins.

I've had a 4TB HGST for like 5 years, no sign of failure.

My desktop is 3x4TB and a 5TB. All have been running fine for about 18 months of almost 24/7 use.

were they ever not? I wouldn't buy anything SMR, ever.

I don't think 4TB drives ever had any issues, unlike 3TB ones.
I've been running 3 4TB WD Reds in my home server for a few years, and they've been fine so far.

>tfw only one HDD
>tfw 3TB Seagate
>tfw no backups

At this point I fully expect to lose everything. My body is ready.

This, 3TB drives were dropping like flies. The 4TB+ drives have never had similar issues though.

4TB drive user here. Join the master race.

I want a 4TB drive but they are so fucking expensive! Im also afraid it will turn me into a hoarder!

I haven't had a drive fail me since a 45GB sized one.
I have multiple 250GB, 1TB, 2TB, 3TB, 4TB and just recently got 2 8TB.
I got so many drives because I backup everything I value.

I've had 4x WD Red 8TB drives running in raid0 for 8 months now 100% uptime without a single fault.

These have not been out a while, but they have very, very low infant death.

Would recommend.

All my HDDs are 4TB, still going strong after 5 years.

Woooooow! 8 whole months!! IMPRESSIVE

>4x WD Red 8TB drives running in raid0
YOLO.

Got a 4TB WD green and a 6TB Seagate archive drive in my server that have been running 24/7 for about 3 years now. Prolly gonna get some backup drives in the future just in case though.

>mfw I'm using 3TB WD Reds

Just won pic related in a work contest, should I sell it or throw it in my daily driver?

KEEP

Golds are worth decent money usually if you've not got a use for it

Are there any drawbacks to using the data center grade drives as a day to day drive? From the spec sheet, just looks like a more reliable black with an added feature to reduce the chance of it dropping out of raid. Am I missing anything?

>WD Gold
You might want to hold it on

No it's just more reliable and has a longer warranty

I bought a 2TB drive in 2011 and have never had problems

Cool, probably going to keep it then.

I've had a 4TB Seagate Backup PlusHarddrive for 2 years now. All the problems I had with it were my fault and even then I've been able to fix them regularly.

It's essentially hgst enterprise drive.

Before this I had 3x 2TB WD Greens in raid0 with 90% uptime for 7 years. Never a single failure.

And before that I used 2x 74GB WD Raptors in raid0 from 2004 to 2011 daily use with 90% + uptime.

Ironically I had a 600GB WD Raptor fail on me 3 weeks in owning one.

Literally my only had failure in like 15 years. Only had that failed before was the one in my PS3.

kek.. hard drives are cheap as shit. bestgoy had an 8TB WD Red in external bay on sale for 160 burgerbux like last week

maybe for you burger. here it's >270€ for a 8TB 7200RPM drive