A good alternative for Mac book pro

Hello! I have a Mac book pro 15 2015 with iris gpu / 16 GB ram from my work. Have never used Mac OS ( OSX) before I got it, but it's a great experience. Before i used windows and Linus on private destops and notebooks.

Now the MacBook GPU sucks. And I am considering going on with my own projects to leave the company.

So I am searching for a good Private laptop that could substitute the experience I have so far. Light, good battery, great screen etc. The OS is not that important to me, thought.

The problem with MacBooks is: expensive! Particularly with a dedicated GPU. Also I dislike the 2016/2017 models being slimed down.

Is there any decent alternative from the hardware perspective? Don't care about brand, OS etc.

What I would love to have is:
- 4 cores (surface has only two) with at least i5 (i7 would be better ...)
- a decent GPU ( at least 1050 to run basic VR, probably faster)
- if no decent GPU, at least thunderbolt or USB c to use external GPUs
- decent battery life comparable to a MacBook pro
- at least 16 GB of RAM with an option to stick it up
- optional a slot for an M2 SSD ...
- not heavier than 3 kg, under 2 ideally
- hopefully cheaper than a MacBook pro
- a proper screen ( no 720p shit, best case at least 1440p)
- a decent trackpad

I was looking a lot around but a decent, not overpriced laptop with 4 cores, at least external GPu support slotwise and a decent battery life is impossible to find below 2000-3000 euro ... And that sucks

Maybe anyone has an idea?

Other urls found in this thread:

9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
thurrott.com/mobile/microsoft-surface/132728/consumer-reports-microsoft-surface-dead-last-reliability
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

buy a macbook
there is no alternative
best design + most reliable Os

Well - that's why I am asking lol

The OS is fine. But I could not care less about the OS. And it froze multiple times already. I have audio bugs, it once discharged on my back, it rebooted spontaneously few times.

Most likely if I would buy a MacBook, I would do dual boot. The model I have is having to little storage so can't test. The vr support in Mac Os is still fishy. And I couldn't care less, so long I have application windows I can drag around and multi tasking. Sure, the overall experience is nice. But if I can get something comparable ( hardware wise) way cheaper, I would so go for it ...

Get a laptop that you can hackintosh.

>if no decent GPU, at least thunderbolt or USB c to use external GPUs
Get an adapter for a port like ExpressCard. You'll be able to hook up an external GPU to pretty much any laptop on the market.

> (OP) (You)
>Get a laptop that you can hackintosh.
>>if no decent GPU, at least thunderbolt or USB c to use external GPUs
>Get an adapter for a port like ExpressCard. You'll be able to hook up an external GPU to pretty much any laptop on the market.

Well I don't care about the OS :/ I am fine with hackintosh. And I read a lot about external GPUs.

All I need are proper alternatives aka laptop models you would recommend. Still thank you :)

Also btw I would be fine with with Windows lol

Xps 15

An X220 is what I'd recommend, but only because I am extremely biased and it's slumbering on my desk as we speak.

Holy shit, I want to make clothes out of IKEA bags now

>2006-2015
>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>extremely loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel admitted it's shit and went back to solid non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>shit tier 1mm travel chiclet kb
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats constantly from abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz due to chronic overheating problems
>retina meme for "pros" have have gloss mirror coating impossible to use with overhead lighting
>blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>shitbook air even worse with glossy 1366x768 TN eye cancer
>systemic battery explosion problems for over a decade

>2016+
9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>ultra shit tier zero travel kb
>keyboard louder than WWII cricket
>memetouch emojibar
>no USB-A
>no escape
>soldered ram
>soldered SSD
>tamper tape on battery screws
>applel falls for their own thin meme and uses 54WH battery
>2 hour battery life

howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
>it's 2017 and moving folders around in finder will STILL cause massive data loss

>macshit is good
Can we finally put an end to this meme?

Wow - not to bad.
It's a shame that the bigger battery is only available with the more expensive versions :/
But expect the price it's actually perfect.

Can one buy the smaller version ( full HD, 8 / 16 GB ram / i7 ) and replace the battery by one self to the bigger one?

The RAM and ssd should be a no brainier ( not soldered as it seems).

>there is no alternative
This. There's no laptop as utter fucking shit as a macbook.

Even $600 used laptops shit all over the latest $2800 macbook in performance.

>Mac book pro
>not using correct spelling MacBook Pro
yep, applel faggot confirmed.

Dude! I am using now the Mac book I mentioned in the beginning for over a year - the 2015 version. Also I was reading a lot of Mac news and listening to podcasts. You re only partially right!!!

As mentioned I want to switch away, as the 2016 versions don't seem worth it, and I am fine with Linux/windows. Either my company or I will buy something soon.

But after using the Mac for a year, it's very easy to understand why people love it.tbe hardware is fine ( not supper supper great)… the OS is actually very enjoyable. The trackpad is IMHO the best - go out and try it for a week and than tell me which laptop has a better one! I can only speak for the 2015 15 Inc version - but it does not overheat and performs ( expect the retarded GPU) actually fine. It's a good experience. Just either for Mac fans or normal non power users. Most power users will dislike it out of their established habbits. However for normies it's great. WAY easier to don't mess up. And for power users who love Mac there is a lot of Unix power.

You really overestimate it. And once again, what's your point? I asked explicitly that I want to switch !!! I am aware of all possible problems of the Mac book. And am actually searching for an alternative so tell rather a good one. And dont troll around for God sake

Oh come on - they change all the time the way you write their stupid is names and products. I am using the MacBook not loving apple and couldn't care less about they say it's supposed to be written lol

>2006
>MacBook Pro
>2017
>MacBook Pro
yeah, all the fucking time.

Options:
Pretty much it. Just buy refurbs so you don't get cucked.

Haha btw I was considering getting a used Thinkpad with an quad core ( don't remember the number) similar to what you have ( not an expert on Thinkpads lol)

Plan was to get a 400-600 euro used one with decent CPU - fix battery and ram by switching them and connect the GPU external over the PCI card slot or via opening it and removing the wifi card to free up the slot.

The one I found had even full HD lol. But still I don't want to mess with opening the laptop and closing it every time I need to unplug the eGPU. Other than this it's actually a decent option imho

Manlets need not apply.

Well true. Thx both good options. Thx to every one helping out!!!

>10 year old laptop

Fuck off.

Hmm, suspicious!

Well fuck you. My even older X201s is the qtst laptop ever. Although I wouldn't recommend it to OP since they said something about decent GPU.

dell precision is good

>op mentions decent gpu
>recommend laptop with shitty intel onboard graphics

Op here - he/she suggested connecting external GPU. I myself considered getting a used Thinkpad to do exactly what was proposed - just slightly newer. So for me it was helpful!

Actually after reading a lot the XPS 15 is not that great. First of all my plan to buy the cheaper model and substitute the battery with wb bigger 97 whs won't work that easy as Dell does not sell them easily.

The version with 97 whs seems to have always the QHD 4k Screen and according to Reddit the runtime can be below 5 h (for some 3). Some folks do voodoo with undervolting that helps. But if I buy. 2.5k laptop and not an old thinkpad it is very offending that it must be tweaked by me to perform well at that level.

So battery Live sucks for the 4k Version, the full HD version comes with a smaller battery that only in theory can be exchanged as no spare parts are offered by Dell.

It's sad - my last laptop was a Dell inspire 15 and performed well but I have it to my father. So reading about all the problem with the XPS 15 makes me want to search for more alternatives

>external GPU
>no TB3
>hacky chinese $50 egpu solutions that look like a mess on your desk and dont work 80% of the time
>most are limited to PCIe x1 bandwidth

ok

>good alternative for Mac book pro
It doesn't exist.
Period.

That's the downside. Either over the PCI Express card slot ,or the PCI port inside used by the wifi card. I tried to understand the speed of various options - it seems that x1-x2 is what I would be stuck with.

But it's quite cheap IMHO.

And from what I read the XPS 15 USB c also got ( or the thunderbolt ?) From 4 to 2 lanes :/ also it still should work better and faster than the Chinese hack devices you described hehe

...I could use a new jockstrap...

> (OP) (You)
>>good alternative for Mac book pro
>It doesn't exist.
>Period.
Oh for fuck sake how hard must it be to make a decent laptop not for hard core gamers ( crazy sli GPU ) but some decent alternative ???

Alienware 13 plus their eGPU box.

>throttling overheating housefire macshit
>5X the price for 1/5 the performance
>good

The combination of traits you're looking for is very difficult to find/manufacture.

Generally there are 2 types of laptops:
1. thin, light laptops with great battery life but relatively weak internals
2. More bulky, powerful laptops, with sub par battery life

I think your best bet is to pick a laptop from category one and use an egpu with it.

> (OP) (You)
>dell precision is good
Hmm :/ it seems to come with shitty GPU or Quadro :0
Will read on those later on, thx. Need to see how a Quadro performs with games / VR / rendering etc

>Oh for fuck sake how hard must it be to make a decent laptop not for hard core gamers ( crazy sli GPU ) but some decent alternative ???
I bought XPS13. Hated it so fucking much and sold it after 2 months when I had enough cash for a MBP.
Alternatives to MBP simply suck. They're all garbage.

> I CAN'T AFFORD THESE HIGH-END APPLE PHONES, LAPTOPS AND IMACS
> I'VE NEVER EVEN TRIED ONE AT THE STORE LET ALONE USED ONE YET I'M MAD AT THEM
> I'M SEVERELY DEPRESSED AND MAD AT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS
> I'M OUT OF MY AUTISM PILLS TODAY BECAUSE MY ANXIETIES ARE PREVENTING ME FROM LEAVING MY MOM'S BASEMENT
> I'M NOW SHIFTING ALL THE HATE TOWARDS THINGS I CANNOT HAVE
> I BETTER MAKE ANOTHER THREAD ON AUTISM Sup ForumsENERAL FORUM ABOUT IT SO I CAN FEEL BETTER ABOUT HOW HORRIBLE MY LIFE IS
> I KEEP ON POSTING BULLSHIT MEMES AND FAKE INFO BECAUSE IT'S ALL I CAN DO. JUST LOOK AT THE ARCHIVE AND MD5 OF MY POSTS TO SEE THE LEVEL OF MY ILLNESS
> PS: SOMEONE PLS KILL ME BECAUSE I'M TOO MUCH OF A COWARD TO DO IT MYSELF
> PPS: PLEASE! MY FAMILY IS SICK OF ME AND WANTS ME GONE. JUST HELP ME END IT ALL
the post

> (You)
>The combination of traits you're looking for is very difficult to find/manufacture.
>Generally there are 2 types of laptops:
>1. thin, light laptops with great battery life but relatively weak internals
>2. More bulky, powerful laptops, with sub par battery life
>I think your best bet is to pick a laptop from category one and use an egpu with it.

Would totally go for option one with eGPU at home. But as the manufacturer goes the first option they tend to use weak CPU or some other retarded choices ... A decent CPU, lots of ram And proper ports for the eGPU are not that easy to find for a decent price ....

Considering but it's very expensive and their eGPU shit is proprietary! A decent model plus GPU plus their Box will cost a lot ...

>their eGPU shit is proprietary
And also 1/3 the price of any other empty box.

True but the 13 model had just 2 cores so I would have to go up to the 15 model

Dell Alienware 15 R3 / 15,6" Full-HD / Intel Core i5-7300HQ / 8GB RAM / 1TB HDD / GeForce GTX1060 (6GB) / Windows 10

1.646,92Euro ( most likely I can get it cheaper)

Than the box and a GPU and more RAM and an SSD - about 800 more at least so in total about 2500 euro. However with the 1060 already inside I might wait with the eGPU so about 2000 euro.

HOWEVER it's about 3.5 kilo and has only full HD as well as just 62 whs ... Considering I would like to have an i7 Quad - I might end up spending 2500 just without eGPU ( ram, sad etx.)

And after all this troubles have a huge brick I need to carry around that might realistcly hold for 3-4 hours ... ???

I am not fully convicted imho

MSI GS63VR Gaming Notebook or the gs43vr
>Under 2kg
>4cores
>Under 2000 euro
>1060
>Up to 32 gb ram
Only downside is battery

Anyone got experience with it?

mentally ill user. look at his posting history.

bullshit upon bullshit.

Now for the real figure: consumer reports says that Apple makes the most reliable computers.
Microsoft Surface is DEAD LAST!

thurrott.com/mobile/microsoft-surface/132728/consumer-reports-microsoft-surface-dead-last-reliability

Apple haters BTFO yet again. Pajeets on a suicide watch!

Still - surface has just 2 cores. And even when I agree ( op here) that the Mac book is a great choice:

So far the out alternatives I found / got recommended here are:
Dell XPS 15
MSI gs63vr

The Dell one performs better in browsing battery life however it's more expensive in the bigger battery option :/

Any other suggestions other than the MacBook being great???

>estimated

Nice paid shill post Rajeet.

So the Dell XPS 15 9560 with an i7, 97wh, 512 GB RAM and full HD is about 1800 euro

And can be charged via their external battery (65 wh and usb c)

So far guys this is the only reasonable choice :/

Could do a T430 with an i7 3612qm, 16gb of ram, hd screen mod, mSATA SSD plus a second SSD or storage HDD. Then you could use an UltraBay battery so you could hotswap the normal batteries if you by a spare. It will never die, gets good temps and performance, and you could use an EXP GDC ExpressCard eGPU for a better graphics card. Setting the egpu up is kind of a bitch though.

Have you ever set it up yourself? Why is the eGPU so difficult? Thx many much!

> (You)
>Could do a T430 with an i7 3612qm, 16gb of ram, hd screen mod, mSATA SSD plus a second SSD or storage HDD. Then you could use an UltraBay battery so you could hotswap the normal batteries if you by a spare. It will never die, gets good temps and performance, and you could use an EXP GDC ExpressCard eGPU for a better graphics card. Setting the egpu up is kind of a bitch though.

Indeed sounds great. The only problem is - it's a pain in the ass to upgrade to FH as you need a KIT and it's not available :/
But other than that sounds quite good ... One can go in theory with 32 gb right ?

Dell XPS 15 or Asus Zenbook Pro, the Dell has a 1050 and the Asus has a 1050 Ti

>being a ifag

Dell latitude e7470. specs: 16 GB ram, i7, 500gb m2 ssd, 14inch. don't know how many cores, but I run daily 4/5 vms without problems. around 2000$. instead of paying that for a shitty mac, you can buy a dell

But the smaller battery on the fhd model is still pretty good, why would you want to change it?

BTW, if you can, wait for the coffee Lake and Raven ridge models that will arrive in the coming months, this is literally the worst moment to buy a laptop.