Is Finnish grammar complicated? I know totally it's different from IE languages, but are there many exceptions?

Is Finnish grammar complicated? I know totally it's different from IE languages, but are there many exceptions?
It would be interesting to learn other than IE language, and it's ofc the first choice because of the same writing system.

Other urls found in this thread:

ling.helsinki.fi/~fkarlsso/genkau2.html
m.youtube.com/watch?v=gxsQzbhAlfw
youtube.com/watch?v=Af5uVexJ7U0
youtu.be/DcmAUwPA-5o?t=29
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>is Finnish grammar complicated?
If you consider this complicated:D

>are there many exceptions?
Not at all or very few, can't really think of any.

it's ebin

Complicated, but consistent
The largest hurdle for a foreign devil is to learn the vocabulary.

It's hell but I'm willing to go through it x-DDD

Biggest thing, at least for anglos (from what I've heard) is that words are pronounced as they are written + the way we pronounce alphabets. Double vowels seems to be bitch to foreigners as well, not to mention ä, ö and y.

>Double vowels seems to be bitch to foreigners as well

Which I don't understand because English has them tOO and they work the same way

Tool, foot, loot, cool... You just make the sound longer.

>You just make the sound longer
Well, that's exactly the problem though. Length of vowels isn't really a thing in English, at least in the same way.

It's easy if you put your life into it.

> foot
is pronounced 'fut', not 'fût'

biggest problem for anglos is the trill though, most languages are relaxed on it but every finn uses it gratuitously

It's not complicated, it's just quite different from most languages. But it's logical so no worries, you can manage it with some effort.

From what I've heard, languages with grammars like Finnish - which is, agglutinative languages - are very complicated to people who aren't used to speaking them, but are actually much closer to what would be, uh, "natural" to us humans.

Like, twins who develop their own languages tend to make up agglutinative languages, and lots of primitive languages are agglutinative.

I also remember hearing that, in places where speaking over a large distance would be useful - which is the case in Finland - those languages are better because there is a certain redundancy of information in the way the grammar is formed. Like, you can miss a phoneme or two, but because adding informations to a word kinda affects the whole thing, you can still make sense out of it?

(not 100% sure if that last point applies to Finnish, though, but I *think* it does)

German has ä, ö, y/ü, double vowels and mostly phonetic spelling. What do you know about Germans who learn Finnish?

but i already know ä and ö

>Lithuanian talking about Finnish grammar.
Lietuva bro. Aš išmokau kai lietuvos ir tai yra labai sunku.
Perrrrrrkele.

This. Excess of long sounds makes a language very hard to pronounce.

The frog's on to something here.

Declensions were horrible to understand - what the hell must agglutinative be

Are you sure you don't confuse agglutinative languages with isolating ones? It's much easier to compound words than make up short separate suffixes.

Agglutinative means that all of the grammatical value is attached directly to the word.
For example, let's use a basic sentence.

I am in your house.
I is the subject, and a pronoun.
Am is the conjugated version of "to be", which is only applicable for "I"
In is a preposition meaning within, inside, basically it is surrounded by the following noun.
Your is a possessive adjective, meaning the following noun belongs to you.
House is a noun, it's a building, it's also the object of the word in, and the word your.
Now, let's assume we attached all the pertinent information to the noun(s) that they're relevant to.
I am inyourhouse. However, Finnish puts it at the end of words, so you have "I am houseinyour"
And you can drop the word I, because it's in the conjugation "am", making it
"I houseinyour"

>Now in French, pour les grenouilles qui comprennent pas

Je suis dans ta maison.
"Je" est le sujet
Suis, c'est être, mais conjugué pour la première personne, et singulier.
Dans est un préposition, c'est à dire dedans, en, c'est encerclé par le nom suivant.
Ta est un adjectif possessif, c'est à dire que tu l'as, c'est la tienne(et en français, que le nom est féminine)
Maison, c'est un nom, tu vis en ce truc, et c'est aussi l'objet des mots "en" et "ta"
Maintenant, on le met ensemble.

Je suis danstamaison
mais finnois le met au fin du mot, donc c'est
je suis maisondansta
ou juste "suis maisondansta" parce que "je" est signifié par la conjugaison
Also, the declensions are where all of that information is found; that's what those cases are for.

>Aussi, les declensions sont où tout ça est trouvé; c'est ce que ils sont à dire

tu parles bien français ciboire

There's actually quite a lot.

Not compared to most languages, that I'm aware of at least.

merci mais non

I still pronounce it like "foot"
what are you gonna do about it?

>I also remember hearing that, in places where speaking over a large distance would be useful - which is the case in Finland - those languages are better because there is a certain redundancy of information in the way the grammar is formed

True, also a reason why some sami languages are not entirely intelligible to their modern neighbors. The ones in the middle have died off (or are dying).

It used to be more so in Finland before the standardization took place in the 1800s, was also researched in Finnic languages around the Baltic (thanks to all of them falling inside Imperial Russian borders).

Do all finns talk like the hydraulic press channel guy? I always imagine spurdo talks like him.

Finns should abandon their language for Swedish and Lithuanians abandon theirs for Russian. The world needs fewer useless languages.

>Lithuanians abandon theirs for Russian
To German. They want to be Western and shiet.

It's hard as fuck, i still dont get finnish grammar after 20 years.

Just take a look at "-sta" there are so many different meanings for it

It's best described as "unfamiliar, but logical".

Trying to learn it on a lark, the biggest barrier was finding a place to use it. Finnish shows are meh, and everyday language is different than what textbooks teach.

Those who don't know much about the pronounciation will speak it like that.

My dad does. I'm ashamed to speak rally english for some reason so I try to sound as american as possible. Once some scotsman thought I was irish.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=gxsQzbhAlfw
By the way, if interested, here is a video with an average finnish accent.
The subtitles tell about how we view the phonetics.

>If you consider this complicated:D

O fug :D :D That's a lot of rote learning. But still better than learning Chinese characters.

Haven't used half of those in my life desu
>kauppo-i-ne-ni-ko-han
>I wonder if with my stores

hyvin meemeilty

I met a German girl last year who was doing an exchange at my university, her Finnish was unbelievable good

She was also very cute

>ling.helsinki.fi/~fkarlsso/genkau2.html
Isn't it just the same as if we wrote "inthehouse" instead of "in the house"?

Sort of, but not really. No.

I don't understand why are Finnish people so afraid of sounding Finnish when they speak English and go to awful lengths to copy proper English accents. The only important part is getting understood. Otherwise you can speak as you like and feel most natural. It's not like we speak English because we like to but because it's the lingua franca and we have to use it to get by, so at least I will speak it as I will.

>tfw accent is a mixture of american, finnish, swedish, and a dozen other accents

It has gotten to the point that I have to make an effort to speak rally english while still not sounding native.

>rally english

wtf is that

youtube.com/watch?v=Af5uVexJ7U0

>previous post almost an hour ago
>someone posts something asking about Finland relates matters
>a Finn springs up out of nowhere and produces a relevant youtube link in under a minute

MENTIONINGS

Just had the tab open and got the notification for new post.

Agglutinative language masta race
:-DDD

I've lived in Finland my whole life and I can't even speak Finnish because I was born into a Swedish speaking family

haha
kannattaisko muuttaa ruotsiin

I could barley understand that, and no. I don't want to be raped by Muslims.

Turanic autists claim that you and Finns are related

do you live in the west coast? how can you not know Finnish?

Is that really even possible outside ahvenanmaa?

They have a point actually

Yeah, agglutination is an advantage, bro! For example, all inflected languages are extremely complicated.

Yes it can, I went to a Swedish school in Espoo full with people who spoke Swedish and was really shit at Finnish class. I can still somewhat understand Finnish when people speak it to me and I can go into Kotipizza and ask for a iso Kebabpizza, but when comes to actually having conversations or reading a lot of text that's in Finnish it's impossible.

Wow. I don't think I've ever met a fennoswede who didn't speak fluent Finnish. And my family is half fennoswede.

Same here

The fuck, do you live in some russian hick village if everyone speaks finnish?

>in places where speaking over a large distance would be useful
Semi related to this is the protocol used by Finnish army for intercom commands between vehicle commander and driver.

When the commander says to turn left he says "vasempaan" which is "in the left" and for right turns "oikealle" to the right. Oikealle and vasemmalle would be the correct forms but using different cases which are almost correct the driver knows where to turn even if there is some small break or glitch in comms and he only hears the end.

Helsinki.

As close to a russian hick village you can get

>t. can't even speak the language of his own country
I know you guys are dumber than actual Finns, but come on now.

It's not that hard so why not try to sound like a smart human bean in English.

>posts with a Finnish flag
>doesn't speak Finnish

Teidän on lähdettävä.

>The fuck, do you live in some russian hick village if everyone speaks finnish?
Jees, samaa vitun N1:stä tekin ootte ja sen takia oikeita ruotsalaisia ei 1808 kiinnostanut teidänkään ongelmat.

It's horrible not knowing how to speak fluent Finnish. One of the worst experiences in my life was when a 7/10 grill approached me at a bar that didn't speak Swedish and I started started autisticly spouting random Finnish words because I was so nervous.

I do that every time a grill talks to me. Good thing it doesn't happen too often.

but why? it's not like they are not going to understand you if you dont. and the whole sounding smart thing is more about listeners own perception about what sounds smart and what doesn't. it doesn't matter unless you really have to make an impression.

People get frustrated when you sound like a retard. You don't want to listen over 5 minutes of some hurri singing Finnish either.

how will you ever find a job here? in all seriousness though, why don't you just move to sweden?

>Swedish speakers
>working

they can deal with it. plus the hurri would refuse to speak finnish even if it's he's life on the line

I don't get why you insist on some edgy notion that rally English is as good as proper English. I guess some can't pronounce it and some can though.

Also, you seem to be on a crusade against capitals too.

I don't think that Finnish people should speak as bad English as they can just for the sake of it, but I honestly think there is much too big emphasis on accents while that shit isn't at all important in actual conversation and hinders your ability ability to speak when you are trying to ensure that your pronunciation is absolutely correct. I think people should speak how they are comfortable with as long as they get their message through. En muuten itse puhu rallienglantia.

But does anyone still spill spaghetti over English pronunciation? I doubt it.

I'm pretty sure that the hydraulic press channel dude does that accent to ensure maximum memesation.

I don't see anything wrong in supporting proper pronunciation since it's part of the language and makes you seem more professional if you can pull it off to a degree.

well i have seen many people bear some kind of "shame" if they can't pronounce as well as others so they would rather not speak at all and people have too strong opinions about what is good and what is not and i think this is mainly a finnish thing. frogs speak proudly with their horrible accents and while i do not think we should go that far and proper pronunciation should be forget about, the truth is there are already million different english accents, of which many are as native english accents as the actual american and british english accents so i don't think we should label some finnish pronunciation here and there as something bad and utterly undesirable if you get my point

>utterly undesirable if you get my point
Obviously not but it's sort of "fat pride" tier to say you should be comfortable to speak any kind of English. There shouldn't be any fear to open your mouth and speak but I don't see anything wrong in training to become more fluent in pronunciation.

well i respect your opinion though i might not agree 100%

>tässä langassa: suomalaiset puhuu suomalaisille lontooks

I thought Fnnish loungwigge and Hangariien looungwigge belought tu another subbgrupp of Uralic looungwigge.
Can Fnnish aend Hangariien comunnikate with itch adda?

Ainakaan tämä ei ole /mämmi/, joten jotenkin hyväksyttävää.

Veri. Vesi.

Veri on vettä sakeampaa.

>Can Fnnish aend Hangariien comunnikate with itch adda?
No.

Excellent apustus postaus though.

Ja vesi ribaletta

I've been to Hungary and I wouldn't be able to guess that their language related to Finnish if I didn't know it before hand. It doesn't sound or look similar at all.

What do you think?

Im trying to learn finnish grammar but it's so hard ;_; it doesn't get easier when everyone just speaks english on campus

Just ask them to speak Finnish, I'm sure they will if you ask.

maybe I canhelp you with Finnish and you'll help me with Swedish

we could also be gay lovers

How to properly call someone fat in Swedish:

"Varit hemma i matatider"

t. other Fennoswede

There's something special with rally drivers from the north and english
youtu.be/DcmAUwPA-5o?t=29

How did you get a notification?

newfriends get out rrrreeee

I'm new on this board but I want to know what plug in do you use to get notifications

just login to your Sup Forums account