Why didn't smartwatches catch on?

Why didn't smartwatches catch on?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wRl88VATFrs
macworld.co.uk/news/apple/apple-q3-2017-financial-results-iphone-ipad-mac-sales-all-up-3581769/#toc-3581769-6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because they don't really do anything novel. Also I'm kind of tired of treating my phone like my boss, I don't want constant notifications

They're also too thick with current battery/display/etc technology to justify wearing on your wrist

People don't like charging multiple things, it's why wireless earbuds aren't going anywhere either.

I'm of two minds on that:
1) Poor benefit-to-bother ratio (pragmatic obstacle)
2) Never got the fashionable look quite right (superficial obstacle)

Maybe both.

If wireless charging caught on or had a significant breakthrough, smartwatches and other small devices would probably catch on.

You forgot
3) Everybody stopped wearing wristwatches over a decade ago.

I'm not so convinced by that one. Trends wax and wane. People will adorn their wrists with shit if it becomes significantly fashionable to do so, shit with only social benefit to balance the bother.

Because reaching into your pocket to take out your smartphone is only ever difficult if you're actually wearing a watch.

I have one

It's neat. It's a watch, and I can change how it looks, and it can act like a smartwatch, and I get notifications on it.
However, it's not worth $300, the battery doesn't last long enough, it's not as waterproof as it should be, the software kind of sucks, and I can't replace the wristband.

Should've gone for the modern-casio style with an eink display or something rather than cramming a touchscreen lcd onto your wrist with 19 hours battery life.

rip pebble

they sucked but are just getting good user

my samsung gearfit2

>ip68
>lasts days
>best bike computer i have owned
>tracks sleep patterns so i always wake up fresh
>great slim design
>beautiful bright oled
>great meme watch faces
>can use as a standalone 4gb music player with bt buds
>can control 24bit flac when wired to my iphone
>cheap as fuck (normies giving them away)

its freaken awesome

I wear a cheapo timex for work cuz there's no clocks where I work and I can't have my phone on me. that's a pretty specific user case though.

Also true. And the people who wear wristwatches wear them because they're fashionable. These aren't.

Only thing you really see on the street is Fitbits and that's just because the insurance companies are assimilating everyone to the botnet.

> another thing to charge every night
no thanks

That they lack any margin for error should one forget is bad, but what's the issue with charging in general? You take stuff out of your pockets when you get home. I certainly presume you don't sleep with your wallet and keys. Put the watch charging station right there and slip it off your wrist.

> adding more things that need to charge frequently

Much better, thank you.

we need nougat watches with a simcard
then itll take off
who needs two seperate devices?

They did, I see them all the time.

I know many people who sleep with their watches on. Also, isn't one of the selling point of smart watches that they can vibrate to wake you up?

>inb4 just charge it while you're wearing it

because people did retarded shit like that with them

they actually charge in like 15 minutes

I don't believe you

>hey let's put even more powerful RF transmitters ever closer to our skin
>and charge them every night
How about no?

>2) Never got the fashionable look quite right (superficial obstacle)

but what about all those hundred-thousand-dollar-a-year designers with names like Armande and Pleuribeu? didn't they earn their ridiculous fees?

They're not really useful. Good for voice commands while driving and that's pretty much it.

Also this, I have my phone perpetually in DnD mode and check it when I want to, not when it bothers me.

There was no real market for smartwatches. Seriously, who did they think would want them that badly?

- People who don't wear a watch don't want a smartwatch because, well, they don't wear a watch.
- People who wear a watch just to tell time don't want a smartwatch because they just want it to tell time.
- People who wear a watch because they work somewhere where phones aren't permitted don't want a smartwatch because it still needs a phone to be useful.
- Watch fanatics don't want a smartwatch because they're not stylish (and they might also like to wear different watches on different days).

Basically, smartwatches were a tiny niche market to begin with. And people in that tiny niche market were put off by the short battery life, as well as the dependence on a smartphone, i.e. they were not the Dick Tracy or Knight Rider watches they hoped for.

phoans giv me kancer herrhdereerrderr

Meh I enjoy my Pebble Steel, honestly one of my favorite features is it's quick countdown timer that just vibrates on my wrist instead of being an obnoxious alarm noise. It's also handy for controlling music on my phone when I drive.

Or, ahem, Ive.

>implying that RF burns are a meme
>that candy bar never melted in that engineer's pocket
>microwave ovens were revealed wisdom from heaven
You go ahead. Literally nothing of value will be lost.

They did for Apple, everytime I go out with friends at least 1 out 5 people have one.

Apple watches being on the cheaper side now are the perfect fitness tracker.

youtube.com/watch?v=wRl88VATFrs
Straight away this started playing in my head.

shitty forced meme. only autists and pervs would want to use them

It's pretty much the upper-middle-class token now.

>implying that RF vibrating water molecules indicates ability to cause cancer
You can melt shit with the sun's infrared radiation too, but Ultraviolet damages DNA.

wireless charging is easy as balls, they just won't do it because innovation costs money

As if cancer were the only possible deleterious effect that non-ionizing radiation could have.
You're the one making this about cancer, not me.

As in if smartwatch could charge via wireless charging? Because the Apple Watch does.

Too expensive and too poor battery life, as well as the fact that most people don't see the use of them. I've been tempted to get one but you might as well just get a fitness watch that can show you notifications from your phone, I'm going to be picking up a Garmin Fenix 3.

>Can control 24bit FLAC when wired to iPhone
So it can go forward and backward like any normal fucking device?

I still use my original pebble daily.

They make you look like a total asshole. My brother got one from his work and now he's always flipping his wrist up checking who texted him like some fucking dickhead who has to check the time constantly like he's got big business meetings to get to or you're wasting his time. Checking the phone is already considered a little rude while you're talking to someone but for some reason when it's on your watch it's okay (not).

So on top of doing nothing a phone can't do they make you look like a rude retard.

The Apple Watch sales alone brings more profit than the entirety of the poordroid ecosystem.

bullshit, it's like a few million units per quarter

macworld.co.uk/news/apple/apple-q3-2017-financial-results-iphone-ipad-mac-sales-all-up-3581769/#toc-3581769-6

It would need to be literally a million times more power to kinetically heat your tissues you dumb Amerilard. Keep drinking that gay frog divorcee radio show koolaid.

checking the time when talking to someone is rude whether you're wearing a smartwatch or not.

I do it on purpose to force people to realize I have better shit to do than listen to them ramble.

battery life killed them

>tough solar
>multiband 6
>lifespan 15 years without maintenance

>Tfw not worn my zenwatch 2 in a year

It'll catch on when:

1. battery life >20 days
2. price

Literally how can anyone even compete?

unless some brand new battery tech is invented this will never happen

pebble time steel was at 10 days.

I'm sad it's vaporware now. That's one thing they got right.

Battery life on wearables is trash. it needs to last MINIMUM 1 week.

Because who gives a fuck until you can video chat on them like a spy movie or the venture bros

Because you need to charge them almost every day of

45 days.

Yeah but the Fit2 is more of an activity tracker than an actual SmartWatch

You buy a $1000 watch and battery lasts til your grandson die.

You buy a $1000 smartwatch and you have to charge its battery everyday. It is stupid.

I wear a wristwatch because theres zero delay to telling the time.

They're nor good enough yet. That's all, idk why ya'll acting like this is some big mystery.

Why didn't desktop linux catch on?

Because I use a seperate app (canopener) to play flac when I cycle this is a big deal
Dude the gearfit2 has BT WIFI GPS 4gb and a 1.2ghz processor - it's literally got more smartness than my first iPhone in a fraction of the size and does pretty all its supposed to do -I am amazed by it - pretty god damn smart if you ask me

Also just love my predator mode XD

>Why didn't desktop linux catch on?
Because not enough developers wanted to play a losing game against MS.

People tend to leave their watches on and only take them off for cleaning/showering. Maybe not even that if it's water proof.

Taking it off every day for charging is a chore.

It's not a mystery.

They're overpriced. Just like VR, it's probably because they believed the market was small, so they want to recoup their R&D costs fast. Apple watch costs about $85 to make and pebble costs about $25.

They're not very practical, they're mostly a toy.

If you acctually use it, the battery life is poor. Alternatives like pebble failed because they didnt support android wear and were also very overpriced.

Now if it only were a smart watch

So it does do things like GPS nav display, messaging preview and phone notification alers?