Year 2017

>Year 2017
>still no WM/DE that doesn't crash, doesn't use lots of memory, not buggy, doesn't leak memory, isn't bloated, doesn't tear

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/chjj/compton
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=gnome-shell;dist=stable
beginners-guide-to-xmonad.readthedocs.io/wallpaper.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

INSTALL XMONAD

How do you recreate the features of GNOME with xmonad?

File manager with mounting support?
PDF/DJVU/EPUB reader?
Wallpaper?
Keyboard input?
Email client?

use a tiling one

Clearly you don't even know what the fuck a WM is. Perhaps you should learn more before you complain about nonsense.

But how do I do ?

install those separately if you like gnome

I don't want to spend hours configuring my WM, goy.

I want it to be easy and fast. :^)

Windows 10 doesn't have this problem.

>doesn't crash, doesn't use lots of memory, not buggy, doesn't leak memory, isn't bloated
This applies to most choices outside of humongous unmaintainable projects like KDE
>doesn't tear
I gotchu senpai: github.com/chjj/compton
This can be used with any X window manager, including ones built into desktop environments. I use it for vsync only with no compositing frills, smooth as silk.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
Alternatively, just keep GNOME installed, launch your standalone WM and call up whatever GNOME programs you need like Evince or Files.

GNOME, too.

bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=gnome-shell;dist=stable

gnome-shell keeps leaking memory in Debian 9.

I'll try xmonad + comptom. thx senpai.

>he doesn't use XuGnometoo HJT

OSX. Because your time isn't worthless (or is it?)

Thunar
MuPDF
Feh
Mutt or sup

>frogposter
>qualified to breathe the same air we do

KDE

Cinnamon

>>Year 2017
literally no WM/DE I've encountered has these problems.

if you exclude tearing (because as an nvidia user i experience tearing or frameskips on every de, with gnome being the one that frameskips the least) xfce will probably fit all the criteria. I use gnome though because i like it and dont care about bloat as much, and i never had any bugs on both.

LXDE

Cinnamon is the nicest DE I have ever used.

Xfce, install Compton. Done.

You mean budgie? It doesn't do any of those things.

>doesn't use lots of memory
Enterprise ltsb MAYBE

Tearing is the fault of the driver and i3 fills all your requirements you can also use sway (i3 on Wayland) to remove tearing.

You don't need gnome to use the software that comes with gnome.

>come back to Ubuntu after a couple years of wincucking
>decide to go with Gnome
>Crashes when I open the terminal

So this...Is the power...Of Linux.

>Xfce, install Compton

Didn't fix the tearing on my thinkpad.

Werks on my machine ™

It's the drivers fault, it is also an easy fix to remove tearing from everything.

Just Google it.

>Just Google it.

The proper Linux way.

Plasma 5 just wor-
>isn't bloated
Well, it's still pretty good

It's true, there is some configuration you can do on your xorg.conf file that activates some sort of antitearing system on intel graphic chips.

I do the same on Windows if I have a problem there.

So what is your point?

It's true it is the onboard Intel graphics one (some had a nvidea GPU)

I only got it 2 days ago so haven't been arsed to google around yet.

Plasma crashes, freezes, and doesn't work well with graphics. LOL

xfce

fucking (((Unity))) set us back 20 years

>File manager with mounting support?
you install a file manager with mounting support
>PDF/DJVU/EPUB reader?
you install a pdf/dfvu/epub reader
>Wallpaper?
beginners-guide-to-xmonad.readthedocs.io/wallpaper.html
>Keyboard input?
what?
>Email client?
you install an email client

>>Keyboard input?
>what?
maybe he's asking about IMEs, like SCIM, for languages like japanese, where the keyboard alone isn't enough

bspwm

this, also gnome3 and kde4/5. However gnome is the only one who got the (((vsync))) right in the end.

You just install and use them. duh
IMEs aren't gnome specific.
wow the idiocy in this thread

considering i gave an example, it should have been obvious i didn't need help on this matter

Use i3wm it just works, easy to set up.
But has tearing... :(

Use sway then.
noticed while typing. Didn't convince me to not write it in an insulting tone

XFCE crashes, Cinnamon crashes, KDE crashes and is WAY too heavy

You are wrong

Switching between Spanish and English.

What are you doing exactly? Not even bleeding edge versions crash for me.

IMEs can do that, though it's overkill
setxkbmap does it for you. Just bind it to a key

right, a layout switching tool
can't make a recommendation, as i only use one layout, but there will be ones out there

sway works only with open source nvidia drivers and open source drivers suck :^(

wrong

>Xfce crashes
Never habbened to me :DDD
u sure u r not doing anythign wrogn :DDDD

When it doesn't crash, IT TEARS :DDD

WHY would you use a DE that's still using libraries from 2002 and doesn't get updates.

I actually tried sway and with proprietary drivers it's unusable (black screen).
Removed prorpietary, installed open source drivers and colors are all wrong, pixels are with random colors...
GNOME works fine, but sway is shit. Now I'm using compton to avoid tearing in i3wm, looks like it works

I won't go into details, because you should do your research, but here are my recommendations which I use with i3wm:
>File manager with mounting support?
thunar
>PDF/DJVU/EPUB reader?
qpdfviewer
>Wallpaper?
Nitrogen
Keyboard input?
>plug it in, nigger
Email client?
>you are using gmail anyway, but mutt, thunderbird and a million other faggot gui programs can do what you want. Still, you use gmail, so what do you need an email client for?

Fucking normie.

tearign is exbected behabior with nvidia :DDD
vsync is bload anyway :DDD

When? They recently added some way to work with the egl streams.
And you have to add some (nvidia.modesetting=true [or similar) command kernel cmdline.

Also still wrong that it only works with nvidea open source.
The thing you wanted to complain about is, that nvidea still didn't get their proprietary shit up to speed with current technologies (fuck this company)

Budgie.

Niggers.

I installed Debian stable with mate on my mom's PC.
Last I checked her uptime was over 8 months.
It literally just werkz, maybe you're retarded?

After a period of inactivity, it logs me out and then randomly locks up while logging back in.

Yes there is. It’s called Aqua.

Then google "/ locks up after sleep" or something.

use xscreensaver instead of light locker though.

Plasma without the bloat is very light and responsive, but for some people it still works like a piece of shit, at least with me, it works perfectly. On the other hand, Budgie is pretty much all I need for a DE, it is not that custonizable. but it has all the good features from Gnome and feels snappier. It seems that it is what Gnome should have been. Cinnamon is a good alternative as well, but I prefer Budgie. XFCE is aldo a good option but it feels to old compared to the others, I would use it if I didn't have the resources in my PC.

Then you didn't turn on glx rendering.
Unless you're talking about the UI tearing, in which case that's xfeces being xfeces. Use mate.

tearing is not fixed unless you have literally zero lag or frame drops while moving over or resizing windows while they are over a moving opengl object (like glxgears). So with nvidia drivers literally no DE does this, kde/gnome/cinnamon allow pass the moving part but not resizing. compton drops frames like hell.

There is slight input lag on every system because that's how vsync works. It's just hidden from you on Windows because the mouse pointer is synced with the window you're moving; it still feels snappier without vsync.

I'm not sure what's happening with your machine if you still get tearing though, I use autistic obscure desktops with no OpenGL support and I still get smooth rendering on everything in X.

I just want a DE with good keyboard shortcuts to increase productivity desu

windows uses hardware cursor, and it doesnt "sync the mouse pointer with the window you're moving" but has an overlay buffer which prints the mouse cursor to the screen without waiting for full screen redraw.
xorg uses this too (option "HWcursor") and its not relevant, the problem is the compositor handling two different buffers (opengl and xrender or two opengl buffers) that are using vsync from opengl and then from the compositor, its also driver dependent because it doesnt appear on my gtx760 with nouveau driver and the intel gpu on my dekstop and happens with the proprietary nvidia drivers. I also seen the problem on other desktop pcs with nvidia gpus.
The slowdown/lag also appears when not using a compositor and with vsync forced off.
Only nvidia gpu computer ive seen not experiencing this is a gt610m laptop that does not use the optimus technology yet, somehow things are butter smooth there.