Hi Sup Forums should i buy a Kindle reader? are they worth it?

Hi Sup Forums should i buy a Kindle reader? are they worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

store.bq.com/en/e-readers/modelos/cervantes-3-bq/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You can install GNU/Linux Debian on it.

ok thats kinda good, im probably going to use it as a reader rather than a nix tablet

> Do you like to read?
> Do you like the idea of having a device the size of a TV guide with essentially unlimited reading material contained within it?
> Do you have $140?

If the answer to all of these questions is "Yes", than grab a Paperwhite and go nuts.

They're the best reading experience you will ever get outside of a paper book.

Sold :)

You'll want to see if the new versions can be jailbroken, when I got mine (the second gen Paperwhite) I had to crack it just so I could use my own lock screen images. I'm assuming this is because they sell models that are $20 cheaper but include "special offers" (ie fullscreen ads on your lockscreen) but it's still a jewy thing to do.

Also from experience the "Free 3G" option is a waste of money. It's nice being able to download a new book over 3G wherever you are, as well as getting 50mb of internet browsing, but the browser on e-ink displays isn't great and the average person is exposed to roughly ten million open wifi networks a day so it's a waste of $70 outside of very specific circumstances.

basically this if you're buying this to 'get into reading' don't bother and save your money

if you like reading, yes

It's not that hard.

OP here,
i do a bit of reading however i believe the kindle is much nicer on the eyes than your typical laptop/smartphone/tablet screen and i like the idea of being able to carry all my reading material on a device that uses little battery and i can save offline since a lot of what i read is generally informative and technical "how to's"

worth mentioning the majority of ereaders are garbage for dealing with pdfs

to some people that's a deal breaker

i butcher pdf with a program so they fit properly.
removing empty margins, rotating and splitting pages if its too big.
its not the nicest looking, but it works.

yes ill keep that in mind to thanks

Nothing beats the feel of a book in your hands.

Also backdoors and remote deletion your files and shit

>Nothing beats the feel of a book in your hands.

I always hated the feel of dry fingers on paper. I don't miss the feel. I must have autism.

wut

There's a fully opensource one: store.bq.com/en/e-readers/modelos/cervantes-3-bq/

Haven't figure out how to build for it yet.

Confirmed literal autist, some kinds of books have that thin smooth paper and that's good, but the sound of turning pages or feeling my hand against any other type isn't a good feeling.

>store.bq.com/en/e-readers/modelos/cervantes-3-bq/
cool

I bought my kindle to get into reading.
I have read 4 maybe 5 books before in my life(including books for school). I was 18, bought it after high school graduation
I have read 50+ books for entertainment since in the last 3 years

Yes, they are. Remember to do backups thou because when battery dies you are out of luck ( but from my experience you can expect it to happen in few years from when you bought it).

I have a paperwhite.
Its the very best invention of the last 15 years.Beats every retarded smartphone and robotcar.
Its worth is weight in fucking gold.
I absolutely love to have a room full of books in my pocket.Great battery time too.

>special offers

You can either use airplane mode or pay later to get rid of them.

If you're not dependent on the cloud or Amazon's services, then you can just the former.

then