/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NtKXGbsA94E
youtube.com/watch?v=Rpr2HTf3djM
youtube.com/watch?v=dix-lB_muio
myanimelist.net/anime/15051/Love_Live_School_Idol_Project?q=love live
my.mixtape.moe/otzzzu.mp3
my.mixtape.moe/hbhbit.mp3
my.mixtape.moe/dohlfx.mp3
my.mixtape.moe/olduru.mp3
nyaa.si/view/486767
youtube.com/watch?v=-bAo69SJwFk
youtube.com/watch?v=0MjNsNW8DvM
yodobashi.com/product/100000001003294639/
headphonebar.com/products/sennheiser-hd579
youtube.com/watch?v=5wAlISpR8nc
wiki.puella-magi.net/Magia
youtube.com/watch?v=NRHvd7sVEVU
baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Category:Light_novel_(English)
confusedtls.wordpress.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

glomf

chong

Please no bully

Dumb anime poster

Sweat and a bit of cute

What are some nice sub-$100 full sized headphones?

Teac TH02/CT02 with HM5 Pads
Superlux 668B/669/662EVO
Samson SR850/950
SHP9500
CB-1
XPT100/HM5
M40X

Thanks

Anime website

Forgot to add CAL

>CAL
From Creative? Thanks, user. Will look into them

And Takstar Pro82

Thanks

:))

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

The Fostex TH-X00 is one of the headphones I most wish to hear in person and own but I just can't spend $400 on headphones. I want to but am poor fag and it would mean ramen for months.
What other, less expensive, headphones do you think might have a similar kind of sound? Well maybe similar isn't the right word. I listen to trance music that has vocals. So while I do not want niggerbass I want very well done bass on a closed headphone so the th-x00 or the aether are the dream headphone but yeah too expensive.
After doing some research I've become interested in these specific kinds of headphones and I would love some of your opinions here as I'm a noob.
Ultrasone closed back models, so HFI-780, Pro 750, etc.
Sennheiser HD 6 7 and 8 DJ headphones
Pretty much all ~$200 armature IEMs

Do I need to just suck some dick and get the th-x00? They're so fucking nice

Koss BT540i vs Sennheiser HD 4.40BT vs Pioneer MS7BT

Anyone has heared/worn any of these? Anyone can recommend any of these?

I don't know how you do it, I've tried to listen to "idol trash" because it's so prevalent here and I tend to enjoy most things that Sup Forums likes but it's beyond me. I even watch anime sometimes, like I watched cross ange a few years ago. I'm not weeb enough I guess? Whatever most people would hate my music.
This is my current set up. I'll be expanding it soon. Maybe speakers or hd600.
>his computer doesn't have 4 dacs
>on board(is good surprisingly??)
>fx audio dac-x6(10/10 buy one)
>samson go mic(has a clean dac in it)
>dragon fly black(avoid unless only using with iem)

headphones are Dt990, hyperx cloud/pro 80, Sony XBA-H1. I leave the dt990 plugged into the x6, Sony iem into my dragonfly, and hyperx into my on-board and switch in software.
Excuse the mess I moved everything to take a pic.

youtube.com/watch?v=NtKXGbsA94E

Idol trash is acquired taste, and not necessarily something we're proud of even if we like it.

Still... damnit, so adorable.
youtube.com/watch?v=Rpr2HTf3djM
youtube.com/watch?v=dix-lB_muio

Watch Love Live!, that will get you hook into idol trash.
myanimelist.net/anime/15051/Love_Live_School_Idol_Project?q=love live

Listen to:
my.mixtape.moe/otzzzu.mp3
my.mixtape.moe/hbhbit.mp3
my.mixtape.moe/dohlfx.mp3
my.mixtape.moe/olduru.mp3

The video quality is so bad in comparison to how orgasmic those headphones look

needs to be remade

I've owned a pair of HD600s for 17 years and I agree with everything plebspotters says about them. They are still decent headphones but the bass and subbass are weak AF.

>youtube.com/watch?v=dix-lB_muio
I enjoyed this one. I was thinking wow all these nips sure are cute and then I see the waifus up on the screen and remember why I don't fuck with 3dpd anymore.
Okay. Haven't played any vidya in two months so I definitely have the time to. I'll see if I can find some high quality blu-ray rips or something on pantsu.

How do their high pitched voices sound on the HD600? They're really nice on the dt990, it almost feels like you're in the audience because the vocals always seem to be "in front" of the instrumentals on these headphones.

Idol trash here.
Yes, I thought I'd never get into idols, that it was silly AF, until I seen Love Live.
It's quite the gateway drug.

Pure fucking autism...

HD600 is the best thing ever at female voices. It's pretty much made for idol trash, even if not so officially.

>>first season
nyaa.si/view/486767

shameless self-bump

Why are there akg models that aren't listed on the official site? k550, k545 etc.

I bought some Beyerdynamic DT990
did i do a good buy?

Really? I would do anything to be able to listen to all of these headphones I am always reading about. I listen to music exclusively for female vocals that send a shiver down my spine. I can just totally lose myself in some trance tracks with luscious feminine vocals(even if they are autotuned). They sound wonderful on my dt990. An example is this song, it is a good representation of all the music I listen to. Listen to the whole thing if you can, I did with the idol music, and if you could tell me how it is on the hd600 I would be very grateful.
youtube.com/watch?v=-bAo69SJwFk
I have 90gb of lossless tracks all similar to that one.

Pic related is the playlist I've been working on. I downloaded 25gb of new flacs and I've been listening to all of it and making the playlist from them.
There is a headphone store in Manhattan(2 hour $30 bus ride from me and that bus station is only a 10 minute walk from me) that I might go to in the fall to buy my new headphones. I'm hoping that if I buy a $300 pair like the hd600 they'll let me listen to all of the ones I want to. It's something I've been wanting to do for almost a decade. I'm going to call first and see if they'll indulge me.

I hope you find what you're looking for user, a good set of cans can be really magical if you find the right music

I bought my first set with a topping tp30 mk2 in late 2013, sold them in 2015, and then bought another set this January. I absolutely love them but it is imperative that you have an amp that can do at least 25mw into 250ohm(Dac x6, Origien+, magni 2, etc). When I run them off my dragonfly(can't do 25mw250o) the treble goes through the roof to my ears and I believe it's because they're not getting enough power. They seem to be just barely loud enough but they sound all wrong, so it's tempting to think oh they're shit. Once they're on my fx audio dac x6(ideal for them) they sound lovely.
On the amazon dt900 page the most popular amp/dac is the fiio e10k and when I did the math it can't do 25mw into 250ohm which I believe lends to their negative reputation as unbearable treble cannons. For the price they're great.

they sound lovely, im looking forward to i get them, not a fan of my sennheiser "gaming" headsett

dead general

Opinions on ath-r70x?

I demoed them at long & mcquade, and really liked them. Balanced sounding and comfortable, but far, far outside my price range.

Just got the ATH-M40x and I like them as much as I hate them.

They sound neutral in a good way but the soundstage is just horrible.
Sometimes the vocals will overwhelm the mix to the point where I just want the singer to shut-up.
Things like progressive/power/folk rock/metal have no separation, it's like all instruments are fighting to be "the one" inside my head.

The base is beautiful compared to my older open cans, detailed and deep while still neutral enough.
They sound good for jpop and I enjoy the privacy, I can crank up my hentai and the neighbors won't call the cops so that's nice too.

It's my first completely sealed closed-back headphones, and not hearing myself talking on my mic feels weird, it's like I'm underwater.
A decent open-back is probably the way to go for me, should I get the HD 598 SR for only 20$ more? Wish I could keep both but I need to choose.

Idol trash here.
Strong bass is built into the song and it's fairly stronger than I'd like with the HD600 (no EQ), showing the literally no bass troll has just too much melanin. Simple repetitive patterns. Excessively synth. It's giving me a headache already at around 2 minutes.
Past 2m, there's voices. They sound nice and clear, except for the fact they're heavily edited, which isn't my thing. This is one of the reasons I prefer Love Live songs over iM@S, the sound engineer's hand is respectful of voices and doesn't touch them too much.
I like it more at ~4:30, because most repetitive synth patterns go away for a while. The "instrumental" (all synth, actually) shit that follows is tolerable. Nothing else remarkable, the song ends quite uneventfully.
Overall the HD600 does a good job as always (they're good at everything, but excel at midrange/female vocals); They sound good, even if this is not my thing. It's not like I hate electronic music, it's just I have different preferences for it. Video related.
youtube.com/watch?v=0MjNsNW8DvM
Which sounds... fucking awesome. Amiga rules forever.

If you can't just grab the HD600, then look into HD579, they're a huge improvement over the HD598se and very competitively priced.

Prices are weird here:

ATH-M40x ..... CDN$ 149.00
HD 598 SR .... CDN$ 164.91
HD 579 ....... CDN$ 269.95

I'd rather stay under 200$, is the improvement worth that much?

>105 Canadian Dollar equals
>70.05 Euro
I'd pay the 70€. That's like 4x pizza or just a visit to the supermarket. In contrast, you'll likely still be enjoying the headphones 10 years from now.
Ensure you do dig for better prices though. It should be possible to do or maybe import.
For some reference, a friend bought a pair (physically, akiba shop) here: yodobashi.com/product/100000001003294639/
That translates to 256.010 CAD, which isn't too far from what you're seeing.
>worth it
I believe so going by FR and by the few available reviews of it and the HD599, the HD599 is considered a clear improvement over 598, and reviewers all seem to agree the HD579 is even better, despite the much lower price. As the world catches up with that fact, I expect the prices of HD599 and HD579 to swap accordingly.

headphonebar.com/products/sennheiser-hd579

youtube.com/watch?v=5wAlISpR8nc

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600??

No. They'd be terrible headphones for the price if they were sold for $10.

If I weren't between jobs I would agree, but I'm not in an "investment" situation right now, maybe I'll wait and step-up to an HD6x0+amp later.

>no income
OK, don't spend money on shit you don't need then. You can get something later.

I do need headphones, but there's a reason people have budgets.
You being "It's only x amounts of groceries" is just condescending.
Right now I'm just looking to see if I can replace my m40x for the same dedicated amount, if there's nothing better I'll keep it and wait.

Justified purchases of items like headphones which are for the long-term are special cases outside of month-to-month budgets.
IDK how bad your situation is, but my intuitive understanding is that you should refund the m40x and focus on getting a job.

Yes trance is certainly not for everyone. I'm a very physical person. I do drugs that make me feel good physically(opiates i quit 2 years ago though), I enjoy lifting weights when I'm healthy because of the rush/pump, I'm very particular with the kind of vidya I play in that I like the inputs to feel almost like playing an instrument(melee classes in WoW are a good example) and trance music is just an extension of all that. It's a very physical kind of music that I can actually feel. Power metal is the polar opposite genre but funny enough has a similar effect.
So your critiques of that song(one I found recently that I fell in love with) never even occurred to me but I still see why you feel that way. The autotune in particular doesn't bother me at all, I don't feel like "oh you're ruining her wonderful voice", it just makes it even more enjoyable to me.
Perhaps the bass problems are from that shit tier youtube encode/bitrate. The song sounds completely different in the flac version I have. There is a bit of a trend of electronic music being mastered like dog shit. Some songs will sound wonderful at a moderate volume and others on the same mix will clip like fucking crazy.
Can't wait to hear vocals on the HD600 and all the other headphones if I can get to Manhattan this fall.

First time posting, pls be gentle

>Budget
Around 100€
>Location
Southern Europe
>Source
iPhone 6S and my gaming PC
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
They need to be portable/foldable
>Comfort level
High, going to use them the whole day. I have big ears.
>Sound signature
I listen to every genre. From metal and classical music to rap, hardbass and anime openings.

>I like the inputs to feel almost like playing an instrument
I'd say to consider (idol) rhythm games. Look into love live school idol festival, deresute and mirishita.
>The song sounds completely different in the flac version I have.
I'd hope. Youtube vids are often fucked on the sound, for some unknown reason. Sometimes it's deliberate to avoid contentID from blocking the video. Often, it just makes no sense.
>There is a bit of a trend of electronic music being mastered like dog shit.
Depressing truth.
>The autotune in particular doesn't bother me at all, I don't feel like "oh you're ruining her wonderful voice", it just makes it even more enjoyable to me.
When used to hearing voices on HD600 (which gets the texture down to the point of hearing the fertility levels of the female), it's terrible. Most of the detail is gone, and all you get is a pitch-shifted synth mashup.
>Can't wait to hear vocals on the HD600 and all the other headphones if I can get to Manhattan this fall.
HF.

Can you try lowering the cups slightly and angling them upward? I tried that with mine and it sounded much better. Even better if I angle them so the drivers aren't toed in. Too bad it didn't work for me.

Oh yeah, there's a layer of foam that makes the soundstage even worse. It's probably there to make it more neutral.

Sennheiser HD380 Pro

wiki.puella-magi.net/Magia
youtube.com/watch?v=NRHvd7sVEVU

Any sort of closed back headphones to listen music while commuting/in public places ? I just use my smartphone. Audio-Technica 50's maybe ? Or something similar at lower/same price range ?

I own Sennheiser 558's for home usage, but they are obviously not suited for my purposes.

Serious: Why do people use headphones outside? Earbuds are much less noticeable, harder to steal (heard some shit about people pulling headphones from people's head), don't mess with your hair and aren't any less comfortable.

TH-X00 is cut feom the same template as the other Fostex OEM headphones. Boosted bass and contrated bump in the highs. No midbass bleed, because like most closed backs it suffers from the common low-mid cancellation. In audiophile speak, it lacka warmth and fullness.
Recessed upper-mid range like almost every other headphone. But then, it would be easier to list the ones that had excess in this region.

The Senn sets very generally favor bass over all else. I forget which Ultrasone was which after a few too many subpar experiences with them.

Armatures are many, too many to list. Usually associated with treble spikes and high sensitivty.

Why music outside at all? Do you people have to hear music for the whole time you're awake?
Even with the risk of being distracted by music during the daily commute?
Headphone hipsters drop dead left and right as they're hit by buses and trams.
I've even seen people cycling while wearing bluetooth noise-cancelling headphones. What the fuck.

I've got 2x 30 minutes bus where I'm doing nothing, might as well enjoy my music. I use earbuds though, and obv not while in traffic.

earbuds are a reasonable option. Reading a book isn't so bad an option. Taking a nap is another, which I favor.
Full-sized headphones are uncomfortable for this kind of thing. On the go use takes a toll on hardware, so I wouldn't spend much on headphones for this kind of use.

I usually do both, reading and music. Doesn't work for you?

I mostly stand on a fucking TRAM while browsing Sup Forums or reading a novel on bakareader ex.
But I've used trains (40 minute commute) before and tried earbuds... didn't like it. I napped instead, much better experience. Always somehow waking up exactly at the right time to get off at my station.

What novels are you reading there?
I downloaded bakareader like 3 years ago but vaguely remember it not working really well.

Glance at:
baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Category:Light_novel_(English)
For the available novels.
As to what I'm reading, besides kokoro connect (which is silly enough), I'm too ashamed to admit.
I'm reading youkoso jitsuryoku... on another site. confusedtls.wordpress.com/
And enjoying it a lot (ahem).

Have you tried the monogatari series?

Not at HD600 right now, will get to it later. Although , it isn't my particular trance flavor. Then again, there are twenty or so sub-genres to it.
There are quite a few headphones stores in Manhattan, and this is before we get into possible audio shows scheduled for the fall.

HD580

Owner of CB-1s , they suck ass , although that's just my opinion for being the first flat headphones, they are not even as comfortable as everyone says , they are enough to where you don't feel them on you but not really that 'comfy' feel, and get are a better version of the rosewill preludes , in sound quality, the preludes are terrible and uncomfortable as hell,

TL;DR the CB-1s don't live up to the hype so don't buy them unless it's your first pair of nice headphones

The circled part here seems breaking-prone to me.

Just got this Bluedio Vinyl as a gift and I've never heard of it before. Is it objectively good?

it's objectively garbage

I just bought a PS1 with ak4309avm dac and a pack of 50 cd-r's so I can burn shit rather than stream flac thru my pc. Did I fall for a meme, anons?

Quick analysis:
-Track has boost from roughly 100Hz to 250Hz. Combines with HD600 midbass to be even more prominent.
-HD600 characteristic 4-5khz peak doesn't show itself well; vocal track has a 5-6kHz cut to it. Vocal energy is mostly focused from 1-3kHz.

Track is lower bitrate AAC, FWIW

>Vocal energy is mostly focused from 1-3kHz.
Isn't that be due to the 100-250Hz boost?
Terrible mastering is terrible.

How is life living in a shack with nothing expensive ever going to be in your life?

>you don't feel them on you but not really that 'comfy' feeling
Yeah my headphones don't come with a nice, warm blanket or a cup of hot chocolate either. I just don't feel them anymore.

>you don't feel them on
What's your complaint again?

I have some awesome Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80's that I have loved since 2011.

I've been using a shitty Xonar dgx card, should I get a normal amplifier? I
have been eyeing a FiiO E10K Olympus 2. [spoiler]I'm paranoid that the shitty
Xonar card is adding shit to the audio and messing with the quality[/spoiler]

Magni2

If you're paranoid, get something like a Fulla 2 (dac+amp in a single $99 device) .
This will get you good sound regardless of the computer. it does have line in / out and pretty nifty functionality, so you can line in from your xonar to compare DACs, or if you ever get a higher end amp (like the magni2), it's also possible to chain the line out to it and use the fulla2 as dac-only. This is a popualr setup around here.

I'm currently using Etymotic HF5s, and they aren't bad, but I want something more isolating. Are ANC headphones actually any good? What's the best isolation in the

If you get enough volume out of your card and the sound isn't audibly hissy you do not need anything else.

Active noise cancelling headphones actually isolate less than Etymotics according to InnerFidelity measurements. Etys are as isolating as you can get.

thanks anons, will think about it.

>I want something more isolating
>Etymotic
What.

They are praised for being very very comfortable yet I've felt better from other headphones is what i meant

How can you feel better than as if you weren't wearing them?

Damn.
Yeah, the isolation is pretty good, but the London Underground can be real noisy. Maybe I should just be looking at different tips instead... I don't think I'm quite crazy enough for CIEMs.

Any Sony MDRV6 owners here?
How is the sound?
I need something neutral.

guess what else you can use on top of IEMs

>I need something neutral.
Just go HD600.

is there an audiophile general around here?
i want to talk speakers

having speakers would require someone having their own place

>monitoring with open back
Fuck off with your meme cans with no bass.

>How are the Sony MDRs
>I need something neutral
>Buy HD 600s, goy
Off yourself; they aren't even in the same price range

They dont feel as nice in my opinion, and they seem pretty quiet unless you have a amp

I do not understand what you are saying.
The 100-250 Hz boost is from the bass kick.
The vocal sound is focused around 1-3kHz. The associated harmonics from around 5-7 kHz aren't present when Clare sings. When the noise and instruments go out, you can see a deep canyon centered around 6kHz.
The treble cut wouldn't occur during the mastering, but during the tracking or mixing. Possibly motivated by picking up excessive sibilance while recording.

If you want more isolation than Etys:
-You need more bass cancellation than any passive occlusion can provide
-You are wearing them improperly
-You aren't screwing up the fit per se, but you haven't inserted them very deeply to mitigate low-frequency occlusion effect
-The tips used are not optimal

With fresh foam tips and triflangles, the isolation should be better than most custom IEMs. This is a consequence of CIEMs not necessarily designed for a deep fit, The shells are usually hollowed out as well.

what is your budget? 1k 10k 40k?