/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
LG V30 could cost $700, a Plus model will launch simultaneously
gsmarena.com/lg_v30_could_cost_700_a_plus_model_will_launch_simultaneously-news-26708.php

Details of 5.2" HTC U11 Life revised, pic included
gsmarena.com/details_of_52_htc_u11_life_revised_pic_included-news-26705.php

Motorola Moto Z2 Force goes on sale in US [Updated]
gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_z2_force_goes_on_sale_in_us-news-26700.php

Deal: Moto G5 Plus drops to all-time low of $179.99 shipped, saving you $50
gsmarena.com/moto_g5_plus_drops_to_alltime_low_of_17999_shipped_saving_you_50-news-26696.php

Coolpad to launch the Play 6 in India
gsmarena.com/coolpad_to_launch_the_play_6_in_india-news-26694.php

Deal: Google Pixel XL and Sony Xperia X are 30% cheaper
gsmarena.com/deal_google_pixel_xl_and_sony_xperia_x_are_30_cheaper-news-26691.php

Latest leak shows Motorola Moto X4 from all angles
gsmarena.com/latest_leak_shows_motorola_moto_x4_from_all_angles-news-26698.php

old

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B01MR2ZFBI
youtube.com/watch?v=A2l7sXhT540
androidauthority.com/motorola-moto-x4-specs-793094/
gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7260&idPhone2=7948&&idPhone3=8078#*,f5121,*
gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8319&idPhone2=6885&idPhone3=8233
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

My phone broke and I want to get the G5 Plus. Two questions:
1. Should I wait for the G5s plus around the corner
2. does the 64GB 4GB of RAM on the G5 plus make a big difference?
Currently the 2GB is super cheap at costco so if I can't find the 4GB for less than 299 I'll probably get the former.

Which one is the better phone for selfies,

Xperia XZ
or
iPhone 7 Plus?

I love Sony's design and I want the XZ in forest blue, currently I have Z3 Compact which I also love, except for the front camera which sucks.

I don't want an iphone, but in every camera comparison I've seen, selfies taken with the iphone look much better. It has less megapixels and the colours are less natural sometimes, but in all selfie comparisons it just makes people and their skin tone look better.

Selfies are my main concern, if not for them I wouldn't even need to buy a new phone, so which should i cop? Don't justify anything based on price, the rear camera or landscape picture quality, just the selfies.

Also, pls no "why xz, why not this other sony" or other bs, just between these two, which is better?

My sis just got her Huawei P10 and have used it for some days. She is complaining that the battery only last for like a day and that the phone gets really hot for just using facebook/youtube.

Is the phone like that or is something wrong with the phone?

amazon.com/dp/B01MR2ZFBI
4/64 version
$239 with ads
$299 without ads

Don't wait for the G5s it's practically the same.

How much do we think the Nokia 8 will be?

>pay $720 for a phone
>it has a plastic screen

I can currently get the 2/32GB for 179 though. That's such a substantial price decrease from the 64GB model. I'm thinking of just waiting to see if a sale happens.

Yeah it's pretty average.

Just between these two phones? iPhone.

~520€ according to the most resent leak

>shatterproof
>glass
Pick one

you can scratch the plastic screen with your nails

glass on smartphones can be more shatterproof than plastic, it's just an expensive process

Anyone here using lineageos?
Opinions?

Yes, LG G3, 29/7 nightly. My bluetooth doesn't work, but I don't use it at least.
Much better than any manufacturer Android flavour, but I haven't really used much else, so I can't really compare it to anything

youtube.com/watch?v=A2l7sXhT540

lmao

I have an Xperia XZ, how do I remove as much bloat as possible to make it look as stock as possible?

Why is the lenovo P2 not on that list?

2GB RAM in $current year$ is pretty bad.
wait for the Moto X4 at least
androidauthority.com/motorola-moto-x4-specs-793094/

G5+ will get a price cut when it's out.

Anywhere I can buy stylish custom cases for the xa1 ultra?

Is it so bad to use a smartphone with an outdated OS? say Android 5.0 or whatever, I heard it's so bad so awful, but I just wonderbhow much of this is just FUD to scare people into the yearly purchase jew.

Because it's comparing flagships?

Only if it starts to lag

Android 5.0 was full of memory leaks and is one of the worst versions of Android. 5.1 fixed a lot of it.

Convince me out of wasting my money on a Google Pixel.

LG G6 or Galaxy S8?

S8

Is S8+ worth the extra money?

Whats the best unbloated android I can pick up as of late 2017 with on time updates?

5.0 stops using a virtual machine for each separate app, ditches dalvik and starts installing apps natively. This improved android's performance and reduced lag. In fact the performance in most cases doubled from what it was in 4.4. This should give you a perspective of how up to date android will always be better.
6.0 brings much better battery optimization and less memory leaks as the other user said.

In general, up to date android (or any other OS) will be better optimized and have less security issues.

Depends on how much you can get it for. I wouldn't say it's worth it unless you need more storage and RAM, in which case OnePlus 5 is better since it's cheaper, doesn't use a meme resolution and doesn't bloat it's OS.

Google's phones. Pixel. Or wait for Pixel 2 which will be released sometime after they release a stable 8.0 which is soon™.

pixel, any nexus model, moto g5. I still carry nexus 6p and love it aside from the battery issues. If you go 6p route, be prepared to dish out for a new battery and install

Nokia

Gotta say I love my nokia 5.

Just get a phone with a good developer community, and put LOS/other on there

Don't even think of chink phones. I got one. On settings it showed 16 GB internal memory and 2 GB ram. Android version was 6. Easter egg was MM flappy bird. However settings status bar etc were looking like JB. I was suspicious and download file manager to check and found out it had 1gb storage and 256 mb ram. Some app as easter egg of MM while android was 4. 4. 2. Best of all i checked engineering mode and the phone automatically booted with galaxy grand prime boot logo lmao.
Battery life is quite good though.

Brand and model?

i bet it's the xiaomi redmi note 4x

Chink phones == phones of shit quality and no planned updates or maintenance. This also includes Blu, InFocus and other brands which aren't chinese.
Chinese have some top quality brands (OnePlus, Xiaomi, Huawei), so you shouldn't spread misinformation about "everything Chinese is garbage". That misinformation was actually started by American brands and politicians in order to stop people from buying non-American brands and thus strengthen American economy. Even though most of them do actually use Chinese parts for their products.

I want a phablet around $400 on Amazon (I have an Amazon gift card) to use with Ting GSM. Any recs?

XA1 Ultra

Possible to get a python prompt in stock Android?

Termux

What do you guys think of the S8 Active?

ZTE Axon 7
Is it a good phone?
Does it overheat?

Yes

How badly does it overheat?

Femanon here

Xiaomi tend not to pull that kind of shady shit. They are mainstream nowadays, one of the top 5 worldwide phone manufacturers. It's only the no-name chink phone makers that would try to lie about the android version or other specs

you're not an "user" if you show your face dummy

it's a man, baby.

femanon with a dick here

it was a guess because i bought the 32gb version today and the specs were the same for 4x

No version of Note 4X had 2gb ram though

ah, my mistake then

Do anyone here knows a mirror for lineageOS builds?
The ones on the site are down and my Moto G's speakers are not working.

I currently own a Lumia 930 but want to change it. I want my next phone to have:
-metal body
-fingerprint sensor
- camera has to be at least as good as my current one
-under 350€
-beautiful design (no bubble shit like g5)

Currently I'm biased towards Nokia 6 but reviewers say its hardware (snapdragon 430) kinda sucks, which is a shame because it has a compelling price + stock Android. I considered Lenovo P2 as well, but I heard the camera is subpar to say the least. Another option would be Xiaomi redmi pro or Mi 5s. Xperia X looks tasty as well, but >dat battery. Wat do?

Honor 8 or a used HTC 10 / OP3T

Bq aquaris x pro

Erm, save TA keys, unlock bootloader, root, install Titanium Backup and remove the offending apps. That or install a custom ROM.

honor 8 has a glass back, and I hate glass backs. And I want it to be new

I'm afraid I don't like its big ass logo on the back (I know, but I want to like my phone at 100%)

These are about what I'm looking at at the moment

gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7260&idPhone2=7948&&idPhone3=8078#*,f5121,*

gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8319&idPhone2=6885&idPhone3=8233

oh and Xiaomi Redmi 4 prime

tfw buy mirrorglass HTC U11 black for 900$. Don't like it, but nobody wants to buy it from you. Now stuck with it for life ;^(

Who else based LG V20 here?

17h standby, A520F
Does shitty signal (no more than 2/4) really fuck battery that much? Damn

Mi5x

Is the lenevo p2 underpowered?

Is its camera good? I made my niece buy a Mi4c, and its camera is quite sub par

It mounts a Snapdragon 625, so no, I don't think it's underpowered

Thought the Mi4c has a good camera, considering it's $99

Any of you ever tested ulefone?

My LG G4 bootlooped.

F

and I suppose you can get past the outdated Android kind of issue with custom ROMs?

I was playing with my dads new iphone 7. And coming from a pixel owner that phone is bretty comfy to hold. I love how the glass stops and the sides are super smooth. The metal they use is also super soft.

is the new Sony Xperia XZ Premium any good?
Should I get it for 650€?

I have an Alcatel idol 4 and before that idol 3
I liked the fact that they offered great price( 240 eu) for really good specs and amazing speakers
The thing is they dont update often or fix some bugs idk why
Should I try another brand for a change?

Yes

Android 5 = Windows 8
Android 6 = Windows 8.1
Android 1 = Windows 10

Sup Forumsays help me out. I have Nexus 5 that has worked great for me for the past 4 years. It's dying though, battery replaced once and the screen is coming out and the chassis is broken at the side buttons so i can actually bend the phone now. I like the 5" screen and don't need anymore pixels.

So I've been eyeing up the 5X, and sony's lineup. The Xperia X, X compact and X performance all look good to me. I'd like to stay under the $400 mark and definitely not more than $500. Anyone have experience with these phones?

Everything else seems to be fuck huge nowadays but i'm open to suggestions, maybe even arguments to get a bigger phone.

The Sony phones have meme batteries

>using unstable/broken software to avoid outdated software
Top lel

USA - Verizon

Currently using Moto X Pure
I am looking to upgrade. Pixel would be perfect if it had an SD slot.
Requirements: good camera, SD slot.
Looking for $400 or less.
Debate: G6, HTC 10, Moto e5 plus.

Are there no phones that are out/within next 3 months that are similar to the GS5?
>removable battery+SD
>headphone jack
>same build type, aluminum frame with plastic back
>physical button
I'd prefer it not to be Chinese shit, but I wouldn't be opposed to it entirely

should i get a pixel xl?

currently have a first gen moto g

LG G6

you do know moto is owned by lenovo which is chinese

Get the redmi 4 prime

GS5 = Galaxy S5 I think

Thanks. That's what I have been leaning towards. The soldering bootloop issue a true concern?

Wait for Pixel 2

naa, from the rumors so far, its shit

No, it only happened with SD808 / SD810 SoC's

So the only solution is buy a new phone every year like a good goy or nothing will work right, you'll be hacked by dumb script kiddies and so on?

very bad

>every year
Most non-shit phones get 3 years of updates. If you want something that will properly run LineageOS get WileyFox phones.
>nothing will work
>muh hacks
I've never even heard of an incident where someone's android phone got hacked unless they manually installed malware. Android 6/7/8 seem like they'll run fine without updates even in the next 5 years.

i personally love the aesthethics and build quality of the x performance

Should I buy a redmi note 4 now or wait for 5?

are there not crappy smart phones? like stuff that could replace my PC? I'm a developer who loves to do a bit of hardware hacking in his free time and I currently have an s7 edge, its slow and has all sorts of issues (looking into flashing or selling it) please advice

If your definition if not crappy is being able to replace your PC then no, the entire smartphone market is one huge steaming pile of shit.
Or you could just realize that smartphones aren't intended to replace PCs and judge them on their merits as mobile, multifunctional helper devices instead.

OnePlus 5, XZ Premium, S8+, Xiaomi Mi 6

As for replacing your PC, a mobile device can't do that. The best you can do is install Android on your Laptop.

You could replace your pc if all you do is word processing/excel, email, web browse with a S8/+

Surprised to see that Samsung pushed out July 2017 security patches to the S4, didn't expect them to keep updating it

I'm looking to replace my Zuk z2 very soon. Is the iPhone SE worth it? I'll only be using my phone for calling, texting and music. I don't care about flashing roms or any customization

Thinking about upgrading my galaxy s5 to the lg v20, seems to be the best smartphone with removeable battery and sd card slot, and is also under £350. Thoughts?

I had that same problem, sent it to lg snd they replaced it only for it to boot loop again