FreeBSD

Why aren't you using FreeBSD yet, user?
Not scared of the command line are you?

What is keeping you from using FreeBSD?

TrueOS and GhostBSD weenies need not apply.

Reportin'

If I could use linux software, I would.
Linux is more comfy than any BSD

FreeBSD has linux emulation.

Linux emulation can't run android studio
inb4: pajeet

I need working tools, not making my OS work. Unless you're BSD developer or use BSD server or embeded BSD or work with whatever BSD, there is no reason to use it on desktop.

What are the primary differences? Is it better at certain things than gnu+Linux? Is it suitable for desktop usage?

my CPU and GPU are too new. And no packages.

Honestly, i learned more in a month of using FreeBSD than using linux for a year now. The documentation is fucking amazing. Yes the command line and the handbook are your fuckng friends.

Because I use OpenBSD.

>NO GAEMZ LOL xdddddd
Fuck off

I play games on FreeBSD.

I said packages, not games. Are all bsd users this retarded?

>linux becomes mainstream
>basement dwellers start using other obscure OSes for their self validation
Source: this thread
Seriously you're a fucking embarrassment for linux, it would be awesome if an open source OS becomes more popular, stop being hipster faggots.

I need unreal engine for work

>freebsd
devs are faggots

openbsd and even netbsd are better

The fuck? BSD is THE NAS and performance server OS. It runs fsr better than the leanest linux on old hardware too. It flies on on the Pentium 4.

Its usecase on Desktop is very similar to Debian's but it has a more centralized softeare model and it has ports making it as good as Arch and Gentoo.

I stopped using FreeBSD somewhere in 2010. Why haven't you yet OP?

Linux does all I need out of it and I'm not interested in fighting FreeBSD's lackluster hardware support.

>What are the primary differences?
license. If GNU is like 'Hey, take whatever you want but don't forget to share with your neighbor!' than FreeBSD is just 'take whatever you want'
>Is it better at certain things than gnu+Linux?
Yeah. It got a very cool filesystem and a cleaner code base. Also it's a lot easier to maintain. Very often it has just one command (ifconfig) where Linux can have five commands (ip, iwconfig, vlan, etc) to do the same thing. That's why it's now very popular solution for a storage based system.
>Is it suitable for desktop usage?
Well, it's usable...feels very much like Linux from ten years ago.
More or less what this guy says >Unless you're BSD developer or use BSD server or embeded BSD or work with whatever BSD, there is no reason to use it on desktop

My friend told me that I needed very much ram, and i only have 16GB.

No it's just that FreeBSD doesn't have drivers for hardware that isn't from 10 years ago. I like to blame that on your cuck licence that encourages hoarding fixes.

>freebsd as a desktop OS
Can't even watch Netflix

>using netflix
>not pirating movies
I honestly didn't know people like you still existed

>i'm poor and proud

I want up to date packages (not cutting edge just not 6 months old). I want a good selection of packages.
If FreeBSD can provide that then I'll seriously consider it.

But I did.
It's garbage.
Stop shilling garbage pls.

GPU isn't supported yet. It runs my server and one of my laptops, though.
It's good.

>
>I said packages, not games. Are all bsd users this retarded?

Probably yeah

Used to be on FreeBSD, then moved to OpenBSD b/c more concise and more secure. If I want more speed / options I would install DragonFly BSD or some linux distro.

looks pretty comfy user,
If I had another computer lying around I would but unfortunately I need the comparability Debian based distros provide

Because I prefer OpenBSD

I pirate because it's easy, not because it's cheap.

What?
How is bsd obscure?

I write code for both Linux and FreeBSD in the deepest parts of the kernel. While Linux is more featureful with some things, mainly user facing (drivers), FreeBSD is much cleaner, but not as clean as people make it sound. The drivers are a complete mess, some code in arch specific things, MIPS especially is just awful. That being said, as a security and systems engineer, I do prefer FreeBSD because it's just easier to handle and extend. From the user side, it has rough edges, and unless you're looking to use FreeBSD because you like it, or need it, there really is no reason to switch from whatever you're comfortable with. Right tool for the job, some would say ;)

>muh security because someone told me so

Typical brain-dead person.

not him but OpenBSD is pretty secure, also everybody adopted their implementation of ssh

Explain the technical reasons on why openbsd is not secure, otherwise you're the only brain-dead here

he'll just go "r-race conditions" then he won't tell you anything about them

Linux is by and large adequate for my needs. It has its problems, but I know about them and have been able to work around them, so I'm not eager to trade them for a new and different set of problems.

Because Matt was right and Dragonfly is so much better.

Only because of hardware incompatibility

BSD developers don't use BSD themselves too

only freebsd devs

OpenBSD is easier to install, and it just works

>only freebsd devs
They run it in a vm

might as well not use it then

exactly. try open, or net if you want to run *bsd on real hardware.

B-but I am...

% uname -sr
FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE-p20

No matter how easy piracy becomes, Netflix will always be easier. You don't care about easy. Don't lie.

You only need tons of RAM if you're using ZFS as your filesystem. 16GB of RAM would be plenty for a 1TB drive anyways.

If that worries you then you'd just use UK instead.

*UFS.

I'll consider it if anyone can give me a status on Polaris support. Specifically the RX 5604G.

OSX is just proprietary BSD that Apple tries to take credit for making

>BSD

Have to install bash myself. I'm lazy

FreeBSD performance is, at best, higher in a few specific areas and lower in other areas when compared to Linux.

have a notebook with freebsd on it
it's a pain in the ass to find useful aps such as office programs compared to linux specific ones that may or may not work on bsd
I like freebsd though was really exciting to install and learning about it, really makes you appreciate certain things about proprietary business OS' and some of the stuff about free/open software. Kind of wish I would of bought a cheap laptop years ago to play around with bsd or linux. It seems like if your poor the proprietary systems kind of want to keep you really stupid and not really even have much of a use for owning a computer rather than a smartphone just for accessing e-mails.

A E S T H E T I C

Some of us don't like having too many choices. If you want linux you have so many different distros it gets confusing. There are only a handful of BSD. It's not hipsterism people get unhappy if there are too many choices. Plus it kind of shows that people disagree a lot on what to do with linux so it doesn't make sense to stray from a major distro and just try to customize it. By the time you look into all the different distros all you've heard about them is how much they all suck for one reason or another.